PDA

View Full Version : Only have ourselves to Blame fans

steelerkitty
01-17-2016, 06:46 PM
We had every opportunity, but when we got into Denver;s territory..all of a sudden we brought back the Joe Walton version of our offense. Also...why didn't we go to Sammie Coates like way more often ? I mean he was uncoverable. He was targeted 3 times...and twice he burned them, and the other time they had to just grab him Yes Toussaint's fumble was huge, but not the difference. In the end it was their AGGRESSIVE Defense beating our Offense. Tomlin is clearly the problem today fans. No BALLS in going after Manning when he had the chance. And NOT doing something to take Wheaton off Punt returns. He totally killed like 4 starting drives. Why not Allen ?

I am Peed yes. But what can you do ?

ALLD
01-17-2016, 06:59 PM
Allen got injured. Boykin was up next to return punts. I don't blame Tomlin so much as poor punting and execution on STs in general. The fumble lost the game because we would have won if we scored.

steelreserve
01-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Just one of those frustrating games filled with missed opportunities and a couple huge mistakes. I thought we were outplaying them most of the game and then just fell apart. Even after the fumble, we probably would've won of we stopped them on 3rd and 13, or if Gay held on to that interception. What can you do. They just weren't quite good enough today.

steelerkitty
01-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Allen got injured. Boykin was up next to return punts. I don't blame Tomlin so much as poor punting and execution on STs in general. The fumble lost the game because we would have won if we scored.

Even if Toussaint doesn't fumble it is far from a sure thing scoring. And even a FG wouldn't have made the difference cause Denver would have likely scored anyways the way he was playing Defense late in the game.

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2016, 07:19 PM
Just one of those frustrating games filled with missed opportunities and a couple huge mistakes. I thought we were outplaying them most of the game and then just fell apart. Even after the fumble, we probably would've won of we stopped them on 3rd and 13, or if Gay held on to that interception. What can you do. They just weren't quite good enough today.

I think this sums it up pretty well. We had our chances to win but just didn't make some plays.

I'm fine with the loss. We weren't going to go into Foxboro next week and beat the Pats in our current state anyway.

There are some definite things that need to be done in the offseason though, with the #1 thing being to fire that worthless coach Danny Smith. He should be out the door now.

I'll leave the other things for another thread.

zoneblitzerII
01-17-2016, 07:33 PM

Got to credit a Sanders there for stopping that interception by Gay.

tube517
01-17-2016, 07:39 PM
I'm pissed about the loss but this is going to be a very dangerous team. Dangerous.

Mojouw
01-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Don't really have anything negative to say. They were simply about 2-3 plays short today. Considering the injuries and where everyone thought this roster was going in to the season - great result today. 2 playoffs games and 2 strong defensive performances.

It still looks like they are 1-2 playmakers on defense away from really being dominant on that side of the ball. Still not enough pass rush and not a difference maker in the secondary. But, we all knew that before the season even started. Lots of reasons for hope for 2016.

As was well said in the other thread - I think the "Fire X!" crowd needs to pipe down for about 3 months or so. Missing a LT, C, #1 WR, top 2 RBs, a limited QB AND they still almost stole one on the road.

Hawkman
01-17-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm pissed about the loss but this is going to be a very dangerous team. Dangerous.

If we can just stay healthy and take Burfict out early next year......maybe he'll get hurt in pre-season.

tube517
01-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Don't really have anything negative to say. They were simply about 2-3 plays short today. Considering the injuries and where everyone thought this roster was going in to the season - great result today. 2 playoffs games and 2 strong defensive performances.

It still looks like they are 1-2 playmakers on defense away from really being dominant on that side of the ball. Still not enough pass rush and not a difference maker in the secondary. But, we all knew that before the season even started. Lots of reasons for hope for 2016.

As was well said in the other thread - I think the "Fire X!" crowd needs to pipe down for about 3 months or so. Missing a LT, C, #1 WR, top 2 RBs, a limited QB AND they still almost stole one on the road.

Nonsense. Fire Tomlin because Cowher's QB got injured. :chuckle:

Hawkman
01-17-2016, 08:01 PM

"Very well thought out and lucid argument, Mr Gambinni, Overruled".

fansince'76
01-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Tomlin is clearly the problem today fans.

Of course he was. :rolleyes:

steelerdude15
01-17-2016, 09:04 PM
I have to completely disagree that this was Tomlin's fault. We were trying to rush Peyton, but we weren't able to get a lot of pressure on him. The Broncos' offensive line did a good job today in blocking our defensive players. Lets not forget either, Peyton was reading our blitzes and audibling to other plays to counter the blitz too.

While I do agree that Marcus shouldn't be handling punts and should have been taken out earlier, who else are they going to stick back there? Is there anyone else on this team that we could trust back there to take punts. I don't see anyone who we could trust.

SteelerFanInStl
01-17-2016, 09:14 PM
While I do agree that Marcus shouldn't be handling punts and should have been taken out earlier, who else are they going to stick back there? Is there anyone else on this team that we could trust back there to take punts. I don't see anyone who we could trust.

Boykin returned punts in college and had the record for the most punt returns for a TD until this year. I don't know if he's returned any in the NFL but Tomlin should've had other players practicing it this week.

steelerdude15
01-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Boykin returned punts in college and had the record for the most punt returns for a TD until this year. I don't know if he's returned any in the NFL but Tomlin should've had other players practicing it this week.

I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

86WARD
01-17-2016, 09:22 PM

They just weren't quite good enough this season...pretty much the story of the year.

Hawkman
01-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Good enough to win 11 games with some spare parts, with the toughest schedule. I'll take it. I want more......I want it all. But I'm greedy like that.

The Bark
01-17-2016, 09:38 PM
All things considered, asking for a miracle three weeks in a row is a bit much. I didn't even expect them to make the playoffs, let alone win a game and lead late in the Divisional Game. It's unfortunate they didn't have a full compliment of options on offense - missing Brown and Williams was a factor, perhaps less so with what the others were able to step in and do and it's hard to find fault with the defense - even Jarvis had a fairly good game. A dropped interception, a fumble and coming within an inch of downing Manning on that one play were the difference makers. I think in the end, the defense seemed like it was just on the field too long in the second half.

GoSlash27
01-17-2016, 10:24 PM
My only complaint about this game:
Marcus Wheaton was totally ill- prepared to return punts. There were a lot of dangerous mistakes there, and any one of them could have cost us the game.

This is not a criticism of him personally, but rather the coaching staff. Somebody somewhere should've been working with him on this and it doesn't look like that happened.

tube517
01-18-2016, 04:29 AM
He didn't return punts for the Iggles but he did return kickoffs.

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

Count Steeler
01-18-2016, 04:54 AM
I have to completely disagree that this was Tomlin's fault. We were trying to rush Peyton, but we weren't able to get a lot of pressure on him. The Broncos' offensive line did a good job today in blocking our defensive players. Lets not forget either, Peyton was reading our blitzes and audibling to other plays to counter the blitz too.

Todman has returned punts before.

Kittyfish
01-18-2016, 06:28 AM
It would just be nice if we could play even one playoff game with Ben, Bell and Brown all healthy at the same time. Not to mention Pouncey. We can't seem to get through the season with all of our dominant players intact. I think we should have won this game, but I guess having a not quite 1/3 of the Killer Bees available wasn't enough. I'm still in a stupor from last night. Denver is going to get massacred next week - I just hope Arizona/Carolina can beat the Cheats in the Super Bowl, because I'd bet the farm that New England will be there. And if they win again, I don't think I can stand it; I just may have to quite football.