PDA

View Full Version : He's not Manning of old, just merely old

stillers4me
01-17-2016, 09:29 AM
I remember something Aaron Smith said when asked to compare Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, two of the greatest quarterbacks of his or any generation.

"We feel like we can rattle Peyton," Smith said. "Brady, not so much."

That was a decade ago. Smith was a terrific defensive end on some great Steelers defenses. Manning and Brady were in their prime, building foundations that will make them first-ballot Hall of Famers.

Imagine how the Steelers must be feeling today when they face Manning and the Denver Broncos in an AFC divisional playoff.

Manning will be 40 March 24. His body is broken. He is playing on a bad left foot and has no mobility. He has lost his ability to throw the ball down the field. He is not a better choice than backup Brock Osweiler to start the game, although Osweiler is dealing with a right knee injury.

And Ben Roethlisberger is supposed to be the quarterback with issues today?.........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/17/Ron-Cook-He-s-not-Manning-of-old-just-merely-old/stories/201601170158

Thanks for jinxing us, asshole. :mad2:

steelerkitty
01-17-2016, 09:48 AM
It's never the age...but the mileage that matters most. I remember back when at 42, Vinny Testeverde was the oldest QB to win a playoff game. But at that time, Vinny had thrown less then 6,200 career passes. Manning right now is over
9380. So it's his mileage not his age per se.

He still has that savey experience, good weapons and a great D to support him. But the mainthing is to not give him time to just sit back in the pocket.

Kanata Steeler
01-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Manning or no Manning,
I think what may hurt us is a Ben with a severe shoulder injury, and an AB who will NOT even be in this game, not to mention our other VIP MIA's.