PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' playoff game more about Manning than Big Ben

polamalubeast
01-14-2016, 10:51 AM
ENGLEWOOD—No doubt, the torn ligaments in the right throwing shoulder of Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will have an impact on the Denver Broncos’ playoff game Sunday.

How Steelers receiver Antonio Brown plays following his concussion will also be a factor.

The injuries to those players, though, are just diversions. Whether the Broncos win or lose their playoff game likely is foremost about Peyton Manning.

The league’s career passing leader will be making his first start in two months. The Broncos don’t need Manning to play like a Hall of Famer, anymore. Not with their defense they don’t. What they need from Manning is to play the role of efficient game manager. Audible to the correct coverage. Complete the third-down passes. Protect the ball.

“In the playoffs, you certainly just want to do your job to help your team win, no matter how old you are or how long you’ve been playing,’’ Manning said. “There’s no difference. This year has been a unique year with the injuries and not playing the entire time. Like I said, I was pleased to be available in the last game of the season against San Diego. I wasn’t really able to be available up until that point. I was pleased to make progress to that standpoint, and then that game took a funny turn and here we are going against Pittsburgh.’’

Even if Manning struggles at times Sunday, the Broncos have to win. They can. Remember in the Broncos’ first seven games, Manning threw at least one pick in each. The Broncos went 7-0, anyway.

Come Sunday, it’s not so much what Big Ben and Brown can do. So long as Peyton still has it, the Broncos should be fine

read more

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/2016/01/13/denver-broncos-peyton-manning-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-klis/78774874/

TD's & Beer
01-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Kubiak also said he may have to active a third quarterback for the game because of Osweiler’s uncertain health. That third quarterback would be rookie Trevor Siemian.

Knock them all out

86WARD
01-15-2016, 06:46 AM
I like Vick vs. Trevor Semen.

fansince'76
01-15-2016, 07:20 AM
Come Sunday, it’s not so much what Big Ben and Brown can do. So long as Peyton still has it, the Broncos should be fine.

He doesn't. And then there's his playoff history in general...

lotas
01-15-2016, 08:07 AM
I always curse myself for doing this, but I ventured over to the Broncos boards to check out their confidence in this match up.

Apparently the Steelers are now "the dirtiest team in the NFL". Also, we don't get penalized or fined for our dirty play. There was not just one or two guys saying this, rather it was a consensus on their boards.

In addition, half of them think Manning is going to tank and it should be Osweiler, the other half think Manning has such a chip on his shoulder from being benched and from the HGH allegations that he's going to come out and put the cherry on top of his career with superb play, and not only a win on Sunday, but a Superbowl victory. :wtf:

fansince'76
01-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Apparently the Steelers are now "the dirtiest team in the NFL". Also, we don't get penalized or fined for our dirty play. There was not just one or two guys saying this, rather it was a consensus on their boards.

:rolleyes:

These Broncos, though, are a menacing group, an image perpetuated not only by their 22 sacks but by their string of penalties. They play with an aggression not seen in Denver in years and a tough-guy facade that has only been perpetuated by their penalty log, second-most in the league.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_28986008/broncos-penalties-add-tougher-image-but-looks-can

Whatever. And as far as "not being penalized" goes:

Penalties/yards:

Steelers 10/142

Bengals 8/79

:coffee:

Edman
01-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Denver has a history of going into playoff games overconfident and stumbling on their faces. They weren't supposed to lose to Indy last year, Baltimore in 2012, or Jacksonville in 1996.

We ruined a team's dreams last week. Looks like the Steelers will have to do it again.

Edman
01-15-2016, 08:55 AM
So long as Peyton still has it, the Broncos should be fine.

I hope Manning still has "it" too. The postseason was his kryptonite, even in his prime.

Steeldude
01-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Kubiak also said he may have to active a third quarterback for the game because of Osweiler’s uncertain health. That third quarterback would be rookie Trevor Siemian.

Knock them all out

It doesn't matter who plays QB. The Steelers defense makes all QBs look like HOFers.

TD's & Beer
01-15-2016, 03:03 PM
It doesn't matter who plays QB. The Steelers defense makes all QBs look like HOFers.

Only the back-ups

Denver ain't all that. Got to get pressure on Peyton, get those happy feet jumping. I'd take a shot at his ankles early.

86WARD
01-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Isn't it always? I'm telling you, this is the game Peyton has his best effort in the playoffs...he's going to shred this team and then choke next week.