PDA

View Full Version : Are you now somewhat glad that Scobee missed those kicks?

ETL
01-13-2016, 11:55 PM
Ok - before y'all flame me to death for being "glad" over a loss - I am all about winning the war and will be ok with losing a battle now and then to do so. So know that the Steelers winning the SB is the most important thing for me.

I am curious what would have happened if Scobee made one of those kicks against the Ravens and we won the game. I am guessing that the Steelers would not have cut him. And I am also guessing that he would have plodded through the season making kicks here and there and missing some here and there. And the farther we went - the more likely that he would be our kicker for the entire playoffs. And we would have never known what a turd he truly is (he later claimed that he was injured when he missed all those kicks - something he did not reveal to the Steelers - so he has no sense of responsibility to the team)

I think Boswell is something special and basically, someone that the Steelers stumbled on to in a moment of desperation. And going forward, I am feeling pretty good about Boswell being the Steelers kicker. He won the game last week - whereas the Minnesota kicker missed a shorter FG.

I know it sounds crazy but knowing what I know now - I am glad Scobee missed those FGs as that allowed us to get Boswell, a much better kickers going into the playoffs.

Galax Steeler
01-14-2016, 03:56 AM
It looks like the Bos is going to be a great kicker in the nfl he is kicking under pressure very well.

Count Steeler
01-14-2016, 05:04 AM
So far it appears that we have a kicker for the next decade. No telling what else may have happened after the Ravens game.

Don't know why Boz was like the 10th kicker we worked out and that he was still available. One of the positives of a strange season.

lipps83
01-14-2016, 07:15 AM
Boswell is the man. Worth the loss of the game, Scobee, Suisham, that 2nd guy they brought in and the draft pick. When this guy lines up I don't tense up anticipating the miss.

Suisham was accurate, but at 45 or so you start questioning the leg power. And don't start on kickoffs with suisham.

fansince'76
01-14-2016, 07:30 AM
Never glad to lose a game, especially to a division rival, but if that's what it took to get Boz, I suppose I'll make an exception in this case...

zulater
01-14-2016, 08:08 AM
I wish Scobee would have done the job he was paid to do. Had he done so we would have never heard of Boswell. That's not a knock on Boswell, I'm just commenting on where the season possibly would be today if Scobee kicked like the guy from a couple seasons ago in Jacksonville. For example those misses against the Patriots were game shaping misses. I'm not we necessarily win that game if he had made all of his kicks. But I wont concede the possibility would have existed had he simply done his job. The momentum lost on those missed fg's in Gillette were a big aid to the Pats. And if he had done his job we certainly beat the Ravens and instead of getting banged up in the Wild Card round maybe we're sitting waiting for the Bengals or Broncos to come to Heinz today? No way of telling.

But you can't unring a bell and as it turned out it seems we got pretty lucky getting Boswell. So who knows? If 2016 turns out to be our year, as I think it might be, then yeah you can make a case this was all for the best.

tube517
01-14-2016, 08:11 AM
We're lucky we got Boswell when we did. Glad or not glad about the misses/losses by Scobee.

86WARD
01-14-2016, 08:20 AM
If Scobee was his normal self, I'd rather have Scobee at that talent than Boswell.

Steelman
01-14-2016, 08:37 AM
The befuddling part is that Scobee was a very good NFL kicker for many years. Not saying Jacksonville fleeced us, but Scobee's talks of hidden injury makes me wonder if he wasn't just blowing smoke to cover his ass way after the fact.

I still believe we would have beat New England if Scobee didn't miss those field goals. THAT would have drastically changed the landscape of the AFC.

In what has been a truly wacky season, I'm glad we found Boswell. I'm not sure if the Steelers would want to part with Sushi over him, but Bos may have forced their hand now. Will be an interesting TC battle to be sure.

Nadroj 20
01-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Funny how things work out sometimes. We would have never known about Boswell had Scobee made those kicks. It all worked out in the long run.

86WARD
01-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Jacksonville fleeced Pittsburgh...no doubt.

Craic
01-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Here's what really kills me. If we win those two games, we're tied with three other teams for the best record in the AFC. Moreover, we would have beat the Pats and Broncos. We'd also have beat out the Bengals due to strength of victory - meaning we were a fieldgoal kicker away from being the #1 seed in the AFL this year.

So, am I glad we missed them? No. I would have preferred Scooby hit the fieldgoals. We would have been prepping for our first game with a healthy Ben and AB, not to mention the rest of our players getting a week's rest and then playing at home throughout the playoffs.

polamalubeast
01-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Very unlikely that the steelers win against the Patriots,even if Scobee make his two field goal.

Craic
01-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Very unlikely that the steelers win against the Patriots,even if Scobee make his two field goal.

Not at all. Those two FGs put us within 1 point of tying. That completely changes how the game plays out, including intangibles like momentum.

polamalubeast
01-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Not at all. Those two FGs put us within 1 point of tying. That completely changes how the game plays out, including intangibles like momentum.

Yes, but the Patriots were very conservative in their last two drives on offense when it was 28-14.Before that, the Pats had scored 4 TD on 6 drives in this game.I not blame only Scobee for this game against the Pats.

Against the ravens, that's another story.Scobee has cost this game.

steelreserve
01-14-2016, 03:24 PM
Scobee got injured during that game, so even if we'd won, we would've needed a new kicker anyway.

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2016, 03:54 PM
No, never glad to lose a game but we did eventually end up with a better kicker.

Rotorhead
01-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Here's what really kills me. If we win those two games, we're tied with three other teams for the best record in the AFC. Moreover, we would have beat the Pats and Broncos. We'd also have beat out the Bengals due to strength of victory - meaning we were a fieldgoal kicker away from being the #1 seed in the AFL this year.

So, am I glad we missed them? No. I would have preferred Scooby hit the fieldgoals. We would have been prepping for our first game with a healthy Ben and AB, not to mention the rest of our players getting a week's rest and then playing at home throughout the playoffs.

This!