PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Lewis thanks Bengals fans for "creating a good environment" on Saturday

stillers4me
01-12-2016, 06:55 PM
As the fourth quarter of the AFC Wild Card playoffs opened in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger was on the back of a cart headed to the locker room for an x-ray on his shoulder that he injured one play earlier.

What ensued was about as low-class as you can get.

Water bottles and beer cans, apparently some of them still full, were hurled at Roethlisberger as the cart headed towards the locker room. He was even hit by one of them, he claims.

Apparently that sits well with the Bengals’ head man, as Marvin Lewis opened his press conference on Monday by thanking the Bengals fans in attendance for “creating a good environment.”..........

Read more @ http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/01/12/marvin-lewis-thanks-bengals-fans-for-creating-a-good-environment-on-saturday/

teegre
01-12-2016, 07:01 PM
What. The. Fuck!?!

tube517
01-12-2016, 07:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMa20xXykI

Butch
01-12-2016, 07:14 PM
And you wonder why your team is the scum of the NFL...your coach, your team and your fans are as classless as a school in summer.

86WARD
01-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Wait...WUT?!?

katmandu
01-12-2016, 07:58 PM
I would like to see and hear the CONTEXT in which Coach Lewis made these remarks.

As we know, CONTEXT is everything.

I have a real hard time believing Marvin "went there". He is just not that type of person. I certainly hope I'm not wrong on this.

Anyone have a link to an actual video or audio of Marvin's words ?

smokin3000gt
01-12-2016, 08:44 PM
I would like to see and hear the CONTEXT in which Coach Lewis made these remarks.

As we know, CONTEXT is everything.

I have a real hard time believing Marvin "went there". He is just not that type of person. I certainly hope I'm not wrong on this.

Anyone have a link to an actual video or audio of Marvin's words ?

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/index.html

salamander
01-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Assuming he actually "went there," no wonder that team is full of thug players.

zoneblitzerII
01-13-2016, 02:32 AM
I'm starting to think that Lewis is a psychopath. It would explain his penchant for taking thugs no one else would touch.

smokin3000gt
01-13-2016, 04:19 AM
Not only did he say it, it was his opening statement.

GoSlash27
01-13-2016, 05:08 AM
http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Lewis-News-Conference-111-Pt-1/96bbf0ee-3e92-4e28-8fec-d881da12cbc0

Yeah, he went there.

86WARD
01-13-2016, 05:33 AM
See, this is where the NFL should really step in, the other owners, whoever and right that ship. That is unbelievable...

Count Steeler
01-13-2016, 05:39 AM
I wonder if the NFL will have "reminder" announcements at this week's games. "Please do not throw objects on to the field and respect the other patrons in the stands. If you need to relieve yourself, please use the appropriate facilities provided. Don't piss on other patrons."

Don't know if Goodell was asked about any of this when he was in public at the betterment of the league ceremony yesterday. The NFL is back home in LA, a crown jewel in the make up of the American economy. St. Louis? Yeah, we are working on it. Sure, Roger. Sure.

SteelerFanInStl
01-13-2016, 07:30 AM
See, this is where the NFL should really step in, the other owners, whoever and right that ship. That is unbelievable...
The other owners don't give a damn about anything but money. That is very evident.

Method28
01-14-2016, 01:55 AM
What a dipshit

tube517
01-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Good job, Bungles, keeping this clown as your coach. :applaudit:

lipps83
01-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Going to be objective here. I am sure it is going to sound like I am a Bengal/Lewis advocate, but whatever. Just trying to show another viewpoint other than the normal screw Bengals.

Are we sure we know that Marvin Lewis was aware Bengal fans were throwing things at Ben when he was being carted off? For all we know Marvin Lewis was not aware of anything that took place outside of the the Bengal sideline. There is no way to know for sure what Lewis was aware of. Do you think one of the first things someone said to Lewis after the game was finished was "someone threw a beer can at Roethlisberger" and then Lewis and that person high fived as they at least had that small victory?

You give the media one-way story too much power.

Were the Bengal fans obnoxious? Yes. Probably more so than normal.

Did they cheer the Bengals? Yes. Probably more so than normal.

Did they boo the Steelers? Yes. Probably more so than normal.

That is probably all Lewis was really aware of at that time of that press conference. During Sunday he probably spent that time contemplating where they went wrong, what the heck can he do with Perfect Burfict and Angel Jones, among other things. These games are played for the fans themselves, the fan is the paying customer and he was thanking them.

We DON'T know that Lewis was made aware of what took place. People think coaches and players spend their off time watching ESPN and NFL Network because that is what a fan does. I am pretty sure Lewis spent his Sunday doing a lot of thinking for himself and talking with his team/boss.

I can't stand Lewis. I can't stand the Bengals. What I can't stand more than either one of them is a lack of objective reasoning. There are too sides to every story, stop allowing an obviously biased one-way story to influence you so much.

Steelman
01-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Even my mom knew about what the fans did that day. I don't buy the fact that Lewis was unaware. His presser was a couple of days after the game, no way he didn't see or hear about it. It was plainly obvious to the entire Steelers sideline...they beat the hell out of Dodge after the game.

Either way, Lewis is a moron in charge of a brigade of morons. Cincy deserves them.

lipps83
01-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Even my mom knew about what the fans did that day. I don't buy the fact that Lewis was unaware. His presser was a couple of days after the game, no way he didn't see or hear about it. It was plainly obvious to the entire Steelers sideline...they beat the hell out of Dodge after the game.

Either way, Lewis is a moron in charge of a brigade of morons. Cincy deserves them.

He is a moron, that doesn't mean he was made aware of that particular instance. I doubt at some point on Sunday (presser was monday morning) while they are going over what went wrong and how to take action against it, someone was just like, hey fans were throwing beer cans.

Of course people watching tv, not even being a fan, would be aware. That's all the media was talking about Sunday (that and powerball). I doubt Lewis was sitting around watching tv much 24 hours after the game, and I highly doubt in any conversation with any Bengal personnel throughout that day 'beer can throwing' was ever brought up.

They had much more important things to discuss.

86WARD
01-14-2016, 09:17 AM
I'm sure that he knew about the fans throwing stuff. If he didn't see it, he heard about it and if he didn't hear about it or see it, he's not very observant and probably shouldn't be a head coach in football without being able to observe his surroundings.

lipps83
01-14-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm sure that he knew about the fans throwing stuff. If he didn't see it, he heard about it and if he didn't hear about it or see it, he's not very observant and probably shouldn't be a head coach in football without being able to observe his surroundings.

That is merely an assumption on your part. If he did know and we knew that he knew, I would say the assessment is accurate.

I don't know if he knew or not at that time and have many doubts that he would due to his role as head coach and the necessary focus on the team and those that he answers to.

I can't judge him without knowing all of the facts. I am also not going to allow an article on SteelersWire to influence my emotion and compromise my integrity.

86WARD
01-14-2016, 06:27 PM
There is no way a head coach doesn't know when something like that occurs in a stadium. Like I said, if he was that oblivious and clueless to his surroundings, he probably shouldn't be coaching football. Everyone else has seen and heard about it...why wouldn't the head coach? The head coach. They talk about that shit when they are all sitting in the office after the game, I've been in that environment in my life with a room full of professional coaches, they talk about that sort of thing.

In my opinion, he's attempting to save face in the eyes of the fan for that disgraceful showing that his, yes HIS players showed. He could have stopped it and he chose not to. His team self destructed and he let it. Ultimately, it's on his head.

Again, if he hadn't heard about it...he's clueless.

SteelerFanInStl
01-14-2016, 07:39 PM
I have zero respect for Marvin Lewis. It's bad enough that he can't control his maniacal players but when he says something so utterly stupid to his "fans" who were completely classless the whole game, there's nothing left.

Yea, Marvin, cheering injured players and throwing bottles at them, urinating on fans of the opposing team and throwing trash on the field are all admirable actions.

86WARD
01-14-2016, 07:44 PM
I have zero respect for Marvin Lewis. It's bad enough that he can't control his maniacal players but when he says something so utterly stupid to his "fans" who were completely classless the whole game, there's nothing left.

Yea, Marvin, cheering injured players and throwing bottles at them, urinating on fans of the opposing team and throwing trash on the field are all admirable actions.

He didn't know.

lipps83
01-14-2016, 08:47 PM
He didn't know.

That's not what I said. I said it is not known whether he knew or not. There is a huge difference and you are putting your thoughts and ideas onto my words in an attempt to belittle my position because I won't join you in your stone throwing.

The entire legal system, believe it or not, is based on this very measure. Innocence until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Guilt is not built on assumptions but rather on facts.

This is also the entire idea of the scientific method. FACTS are used, not opinions.

GoSlash27
01-15-2016, 05:32 AM
Lipps83,
I don't know of any way he couldn't have been aware of what went down in his own stadium, especially 2 days after the fact. Not with all of the buzz surrounding it. He would have needed to be unaware of it the entire game and then placed in a cave for 2 days.
This does not rise to the level of reasonable doubt.

86WARD
01-15-2016, 05:48 AM
Lipps83,
I don't know of any way he couldn't have been aware of what went down in his own stadium, especially 2 days after the fact. Not with all of the buzz surrounding it. He would have needed to be unaware of it the entire game and then placed in a cave for 2 days.

Exactly...and if he's that clueless, he shouldn't be a coach in the NFL.

86WARD
01-15-2016, 05:53 AM
That's not what I said. I said it is not known whether he knew or not. There is a huge difference and you are putting your thoughts and ideas onto my words in an attempt to belittle my position because I won't join you in your stone throwing.

The entire legal system, believe it or not, is based on this very measure. Innocence until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Guilt is not built on assumptions but rather on facts.

This is also the entire idea of the scientific method. FACTS are used, not opinions.

I don't want you to join in the "stone throwing". You're entitled to your opinion and I can make an educated guess based on my experiences in the professional sports business. Sometimes in court the bring in "expert type witnesses"...lol.

Like I've said, if he was oblivious to it, which is HIGHLY UNLIKELY, he doesn't deserve to be a coach in the NFL.

lipps83
01-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Lipps83,

That's an assumption on your part. The burden of proof would be on you to provide evidence that he was in fact aware.

86WARD
01-15-2016, 07:07 AM
That's an assumption on your part. The burden of proof would be on you to provide evidence that he was in fact aware.

I don't know...how can you prove he didn't know?

lipps83
01-15-2016, 07:21 AM
I don't know...how can you prove he didn't know?

I can't prove that he didn't know just as much as I can't prove he did know. I could guess, but that doesn't do anyone a bit of good. Best I can do is shrug my shoulders.

I am not going to ridicule someone for something I don't know for sure that they did (and even if they did, I probably personally still couldn't). Ben Roethlisberger has been dealing with that same issue for years now, accusations with no evidence. People call him 'Rapistburger' and so on, and they are no more aware of what actually took place than I am. Every time I see that somewhere, I cringe because I know that is something Ben has to deal with for the rest of his life.

I put myself in their shoes. I can't even begin to imagine how something like that must make Ben feel, knowing there are people out there believing something that is not true, but since the story was spun in the media a particular way he now has to deal with those ramifications for the rest of his life.

The magnitude between these two accusations are not the same, but I must grant Marvin Lewis the same leniency that I grant Ben Roethlisberger and all people regardless of the colors he may wear.

fansince'76
01-15-2016, 07:24 AM
IMO, Lewis was in self preservation mode when he said that. He just went 0-7 in the playoffs as a HC overall and took the team to its 5th consecutive one-and-done in the most heartbreaking fashion imaginable, so do you really think he's gonna trash the fanbase on top of that, even though they deserve it? No way.

I am not going to ridicule someone for something I don't know for sure that they did (and even if they did, I probably personally still couldn't). Ben Roethlisberger has been dealing with that same issue for years now, accusations with no evidence. People call him 'Rapistburger' and so on, and they are no more aware of what actually took place than I am. Every time I see that somewhere, I cringe because I know that is something Ben has to deal with for the rest of his life.

I put myself in their shoes. I can't even begin to imagine how something like that must make Ben feel, knowing there are people out there believing something that is not true, but since the story was spun in the media a particular way he now has to deal with those ramifications for the rest of his life.

Being convicted by a commissioner acting as the judge and jury in his own kangaroo court just to get the race baiters (looking at you, Whitlock) off his back "See? I just suspended a high profile white player too, so I'm not a racist!" and then making a point to bash him publicly during Super Bowl week months after the fact didn't help his cause either.

People can say that episode ultimately made Ben a better man or whatever, but that suspension followed up by Goodell publicly slandering him during Super Bowl week with practically the whole world watching was a gigantic crock of shit and it still pisses me off to no end.

lotas
01-15-2016, 07:48 AM
IMO, Lewis was in self preservation mode when he said that. He just went 0-7 in the playoffs as a HC overall and took the team to its 5th consecutive one-and-done in the most heartbreaking fashion imaginable, so do you really think he's gonna trash the fanbase on top of that, even though they deserve it? No way.
Well said, I agree.

Also, I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt, but there are some instances when it is simply unreasonable to assume someone is that ignorant that they are unaware of what everyone else are aware of.

Case in point: Tomlin and Jacoby Jones. I would love to give Tomlin the benefit of the doubt, but there's just no way that's not intentional.

Bottom line: No one is that unaware of their surroundings, let alone an NFL coach.

ALLD
01-15-2016, 08:02 AM
Simple damage control by Lewis. After the worst self-implosion in team history what else can he say? Bengals are wannabes that never will.

GoSlash27
01-15-2016, 04:50 PM

lipps83,
Well... bearing in mind that this isn't a court of law, if it *was* the determination of "reasonable doubt" would be up to the jury, not the prosecution.
I don't have to prove what he knew and when. It would be unreasonable to expect him to not be aware that (at the very least) there is controversy 2 days after the fact.