PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger has torn ligaments in shoulder

smokin3000gt
01-12-2016, 11:26 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000621450/article/ben-roethlisberger-has-torn-ligaments-in-shoulder

Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/profile)'s status for Sunday's divisional round playoffs is very much in doubt.The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) quarterback revealed during a radio interview Tuesday that he has torn ligaments in his throwing shoulder in addition to a sprained AC joint (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000620376/article/ben-roethlisberger-believed-to-have-sprained-ac-joint).
Roethlisberger said he is "definitely sore" and has yet to test the shoulder since Saturday's Wild Card win over the Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN).
"I'll go in tomorrow with the intent to see what I can do," Roethlisberger told KDKA-FM in Pittsburgh (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/01/12/ben-roethlisberger-still-unsure-of-status-for-broncos-game/). "I honestly don't know. I haven't tried to throw a football since the game, and maybe that's not even the right thing to do right away.

Not looking good ladies n gents. We can only hope for poker games here.

Honestly I'll take a Jones start and a Denver loss if it means keeping Big Ben healthy and his career alive versus him pushing it and doing long term damage to his throwing arm or his career.

polamalubeast
01-12-2016, 11:30 AM

SteelMember
01-12-2016, 11:35 AM
Ugh... shoot it up!

polamalubeast
01-12-2016, 11:36 AM

86WARD
01-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Well that's a bummer...

EzraTank
01-12-2016, 11:38 AM
If the big 3 can't play we're done.

No way does Jones and depleted company beat the #1 defense in their home park. Our only hope would be if our defense could match their defense but Manning (even with a rag arm) will eventually beat us.

Sucks, but get healthy and come back next year with the same (healthy) offense and build on our defense. Ben probably has a 4 year window left to win it again.

TD's & Beer
01-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Dr Ben loves playing the crowd for more drama

lotas
01-12-2016, 12:18 PM
I agree with you guys saying don't risk Ben's health. A major injury to a QB's throwing arm 10+ years into their career is the equivalent a 10+ year veteran RB blowing out both his knees. Your career and abilities hinge in the health and function of those two joints, as a RB, and that one joint, as a QB. Hell, a QB can play with no legs (see: Byron Leftwich lol) but not no throwing arm.

Ben needs to train ambidextrous this week and play left handed on Sunday.

Left handed Ben > Right handed Jones? :couch:

But in all seriousness, one big hit with Ben landing on that shoulder could result in a lot more damage. If he can't even throw at this point in the week, let's get Jones'd

katmandu
01-12-2016, 12:28 PM
I'm sure this had absolutely nothing to do with Ben's torn ligaments.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyXLcoeDA0s

MF'er should have Criminal charges pressed against his ignorant, thugish ass !!

GoSlash27
01-12-2016, 12:29 PM
I'm assuming he's out. D-Will isn't looking promising either.

katmandu
01-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Honestly I'll take a Jones start and a Denver loss if it means keeping Big Ben healthy and his career alive versus him pushing it and doing long term damage to his throwing arm or his career.I hate to say this but I agree.

Ben's health and career are far more important right now.

It's all gravy from here on out anyways. We are lucky as snot to even be this far this season.

Q: Are you really ready to destroy the health and well being of your players and long term careers by playing them NOW over having great careers and a more successful team next year ?

It's a fine line I know, but ya gotta look down the road, not just immediate gratifications now.

Very tough balancing act.

Moose
01-12-2016, 12:36 PM
When is this organization going to realize they need to get a good backup QB !? I've said it for year's they need to get someone young in training, Ben is only a concussion away from retiring. And now here we are in the playoff's, only a few games away from the SB, and reaching the SB now looks dim with Landry possibly taking the reigns. UGH !

steelreserve
01-12-2016, 12:43 PM
That's not good news.

Much as I can't believe I'm saying this, I think we'd be wise to keep Michael Vick in uniform for this game. If Ben can't throw the ball and Jones starts out with a sucky shit festival of a performance like last time, maybe we can somehow steal the game by throwing them off guard. Although that would take a clever plan and some daring, and what we'll probably get is the Haley Turtle instead. So maybe that's not such a great idea. Still probably the safe move to have him active though in any case.

polamalubeast
01-12-2016, 12:43 PM
When is this organization going to realize they need to get a good backup QB !? I've said it for year's they need to get someone young in training, Ben is only a concussion away from retiring. And now here we are in the playoff's, only a few games away from the SB, and reaching the SB now looks dim with Landry possibly taking the reigns. UGH !

Look at the majority of teams who are still alive in the playoffs, every team would have virtually no chance without their starter in the playoffs.

Nadroj 20
01-12-2016, 12:45 PM
I'd say we have to hope for the best with Jones at the helm. Risking Ben's health just isn't worth it. If this were the Superbowl maybe, but we have to win two more games after this one to be champs and that will be tough even with Ben.

Shoes
01-12-2016, 12:46 PM
If I'm Rooney, I say no way with torn ligaments. Give it hell with Jones and throw Vick in for some wildcat bs. Who knows, pressure off and play hard it could still happen.

steelreserve
01-12-2016, 12:53 PM
The question is, with a torn ligament, can you tear it any worse? Maybe it just hurts like hell but already is injured as badly as it's going to get. Without any doctors around to answer that, the idea of whether you'd be risking your career by playing like that is all speculation.

If not, the question is how it affects your ability to throw. Which I would not be super optimistic about in any case. Overall ... sucks either way.

TD's & Beer
01-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Any sprain is a "tear" to a ligament - he has a sprained shoulder

He'll play if he can throw the ball at all

hawaiiansteeler
01-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Ben Roethlisberger's status for Sunday's divisional round playoffs is very much in doubt.The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback revealed during a radio interview Tuesday that he has torn ligaments in his throwing shoulder in addition to a sprained AC joint.

is Ben the sole source of this report?

cold-hard-steel
01-12-2016, 12:57 PM
After all this team has had to go through to make it this far i refuse to count them out . If Laundry can take on the role of game managing , we might be able to squeak one out .That is going to have to involve all the other aspects of this team from the o-line to the defense and special teams included . We must be able to make our running game viable. I don't think this is an impossible task to complete. This team has all kinds of talent to still get the job done. I would feel better if we would have Gradkowski instead of Laundry , but it is what it is . You have to play the hand thats dealt to you .

Steelman
01-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Now that I've read a little more about it:

The torn ligaments is part of a AC sprain. Several doctors have commented that it doesn't change the diagnosis that him playing is primarily based on pain management and does not affect any long term usage of the shoulder.

So...maybe Ben just didn't know what he was talking about? The diagnosis doesn't sound any different than before.

B&GFever
01-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Any sprain is a "tear" to a ligament - he has a sprained shoulder

He'll play if he can throw the ball at all

actually sprains are stretching of ligaments , tears are a completely different animal

86WARD
01-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Now that I've read a little more about it:

The torn ligaments is part of a AC sprain. Several doctors have commented that it doesn't change the diagnosis that him playing is primarily based on pain management and does not affect any long term usage of the shoulder.

So...maybe Ben just didn't know what he was talking about? The diagnosis doesn't sound any different than before.

He knows what he's talking about...he's just being overly dramatic...

Steeldude
01-12-2016, 01:58 PM
BR isn't going to play this weekend or the next. He's done.

Will the league fine and suspend Burfdefect for his intentional knee to BR's shoulder? His spitting? His attempt to step on Foster's foot? His intentional launch at a defenseless Brown?

B&GFever
01-12-2016, 02:01 PM
BR isn't going to play this weekend or the next. He's done.

Will the league fine and suspend Burfdefect for his intentional knee to BR's shoulder? His spitting? His attempt to step on Foster's foot? His intentional launch at a defenseless Brown?

already suspended 3 games for the Brown hit ...

but I am sure it will be reduced to a fine and 1 game by the time next year rolls around and the media has all but forgotten

GoSlash27
01-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Steelman,
An AC sprain/ torn ligaments/ shoulder sep are all the same thing. Not allowing it to heal properly *most definitely* affects your ability to throw in the future. I know that one first hand.
Thanks to an improperly healed AC sprain (I continued to throw with it and yeah... that hurts), I can no longer throw anything reliably overhand with any kind of force. Sometimes the ball goes where I want and sometimes it goes into the dirt 3 yards away. There's no telling which it's going to be on any given throw because the joint itself is trashed.

So I'd definitely follow the doctor's recommendation (whatever that happens to be) and err on the side of caution. I don't throw a ball for a living, but he does.

*EDIT* from the sports injury clinic: (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/shoulder-pain/ac-joint-sprain)

An AC joint taping should be applied which fixes and supports the joint into the correct position to assist with healing. The joint may need taping for 2-3 weeks. Ultrasound for minor injuries, or TENS for pain relief can be used in more severe cases.

If this injury is neglected and allowed to heal out of place this could increase the wear and tear on your joint causing you problems in the future.

...Of course in his case, there's probably elective surgery that he could have to correct a lot of the damage. I don't know what the options are there.

TD's & Beer
01-12-2016, 02:09 PM
actually sprains are stretching of ligaments , tears are a completely different animal

WRONG!

Tears can be described as stretching - a grade 1 sprain is stretching or "tearing" of the ligaments - it depends on severity

What is a sprain?
A sprain is an injury involving the stretching or tearing of a ligament (tissue that connects bone to bone) or a joint capsule, which help provide joint stability. A severely damaged ligament or joint capsule can cause instability in a joint.

Severity of sprains and strains
A physician categorizes sprains and strains according to severity. A Grade I (mild) sprain or strain involves some stretching or minor tearing of a ligament or muscle. A Grade II (moderate) sprain or strain is a ligament or muscle that is partially torn but still intact. A Grade III (severe) sprain or strain means that the ligament or muscle is completely torn, resulting in joint instability.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.strain-sprain.htm

cubanstogie
01-12-2016, 02:37 PM
I do think there is some drama involved. Ben threw the last pass 25 yards with pretty good velocity, you cant' tell me 8 days of rest isn't going to make his shoulder less painful and stronger. He will not be 100 percent but as we all know it's better than the alternative. I will be shocked if he doesn't play. Hopefully he builds a huge lead in case of big hit and Landry has to come in and hold on. His days of playing are numbered, this could be his last chance or 2 to get back to SB. I refuse to believe BB won't play.

EzraTank
01-12-2016, 02:38 PM
If I'm Rooney, I say no way with torn ligaments. Give it hell with Jones and throw Vick in for some wildcat bs. Who knows, pressure off and play hard it could still happen.

I don't want Vick anywhere near the playing field.

Edman
01-12-2016, 02:41 PM
There's some drama in this.

For all of this torn ligament stuff, Ben got the ball to Brown pretty good.

If any player is going to sit out this game, I'm going to say it's the one who hurt his foot and didn't play.

ALLD
01-12-2016, 03:00 PM
My guess is Ben will probably start, but he might not finish.

Shoes
01-12-2016, 03:06 PM
I don't want Vick anywhere near the playing field.

If Ben is out it isn't going to matter. I'd throw the kitchen sink at Denver, Landry for the most part but would mix some plays with Vick.

Randy06
01-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Even if Ben plays Brown not playing can kill us. That D will just swallow up Bryant and Wheaton. Then what?

GBMelBlount
01-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Ben will play.

http://geekleagueofamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Black-Knight-monty-python-300x165@2x.jpg

86WARD
01-12-2016, 03:26 PM
already suspended 3 games for the Brown hit ...

but I am sure it will be reduced to a fine and 1 game by the time next year rolls around and the media has all but forgotten

It will be reduced. Beckham only got one game...Burfict will probably get the same.

Dissolv
01-12-2016, 03:29 PM
Even if Ben plays Brown not playing can kill us. That D will just swallow up Bryant and Wheaton. Then what?

Then we see some old fashioned "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mixed with some short passing, then some play action to top it off -- lots of positional football with field postion being critical. You know, Cowherball with not quite the right personnel.

Dissolv

Iron Steeler
01-12-2016, 03:40 PM
damn , Next man up. I agree with a post above maybe throw a vick in. Totally flip the playbook a college football running qb style , and see if it throws em off. And pepper in some deep throws to coates and bryant.

Craic
01-12-2016, 03:43 PM

We have one. He got injured in the preseason. Had he not, I'd be fairly confident we could compete for a win this week, as Gradkowski is better than Jones and Vick together. Young? No, but good enough to carry an otherwise good offense through a couple of games, even allow us to compete in the playoffs.

If Ben is out it isn't going to matter. I'd throw the kitchen sink at Denver, Landry for the most part but would mix some plays with Vick.Absolutely. I'd dust off every halfback pass, WR pass, 3 yards and a cloud of dust run play, wildcat play, true singlewing play, etc., we can get our hands on, and use it during the game.

Then we see some old fashioned "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mixed with some short passing, then some play action to top it off -- lots of positional football with field postion being critical. You know, Cowherball with not quite the right personnel.

Except, we just may have the personnel to do it for a game or two. Especially if we can get D.Will and Johnson back on the field in an I formation.

ALLD
01-12-2016, 04:25 PM
I would not ask Vick to run the ball on any play because he is now slow and fumbles most of the time.

Craic
01-12-2016, 05:18 PM
So,

I went back and listened to what Ben said. Once again, it's much ado about nothing. Basically he says, "It's sprained, which means I also have torn ligaments." This information is the exact same we've had since Saturday.

Better yet, his problem isn't with the front ligaments, but the rear ones, which means he can cock his arm back and throw the ball. It's stopping the motion or overextending that's going to hurt him. IMO, a lot of that can be helped with a brace and/or taping. I think we'll see him. Moreover, I think we'll see him throw short and middle passes pretty well. The only thing I don't expect is the deep passes. Honestly, at this point in the game, I'm alright with that. Get the ball out of his hands quickly and protect him.

polamalubeast
01-12-2016, 05:25 PM
If Wade Phillips and Keith Butler are smart, they will force Manning and Roethlisberger to throw deep in this game because they are unable to throw passes over 15-20 yards right now.

This game could be ugly for the 2 QB.

steel striker
01-12-2016, 05:26 PM
I have had sprained ac shoulder injury and, there are different grades they hurt alot. Trainers/Coaching staff is going to have to montior Ben all week and, see how he feels. Then see if he can throw the ball. We all know how tough Ben is and, he will probably play through this injury. I think Ben had this same injury in 2008 against the Texans? Like a few has mentioned can he make it any wrose by playing?

SteelerFanInStl
01-12-2016, 05:47 PM

It's amazing how hateful "fans" of other teams are. Ben is simply honest (imagine that) about his injuries and they all call him a "drama queen" and say that he's "embellishing his injuries to try to make himself look tough". LMAO, I'm not kidding. These people are pathetic.

TD's & Beer
01-12-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm fine with Ben throwing short. he already proved he can do that.

A ball control, short passing game can work too. He don't need to bomb to win.

polamalubeast
01-12-2016, 05:57 PM

But if the Broncos defense are able to take off the short passing game,the steelers are in trouble.This is a big concern.

teegre
01-12-2016, 06:02 PM
AB is outstanding after the catch.

So is Bryant.

Wheaton & Heath thrive at those short passes, although they do not turn a 5-yard reception into a 20-yard gain very often.

SUMMATION:
Those 20 yards wherein the ball would normally fly through the air, will be replaced by short passes and a lot of exciting post-reception plays made by AB and Bryant (plus, the "chain moving" passes to Wheaton & Heath).

steelreserve
01-12-2016, 06:19 PM

So is Bryant.

Wheaton & Heath thrive at those short passes, although they do not turn a 5-yard reception into a 20-yard gain very often.

SUMMATION:
Those 20 yards wherein the ball would normally fly through the air, will be replaced by short passes and a lot of exciting post-reception plays made by AB and Bryant (plus, the "chain moving" passes to Wheaton & Heath).

Question: How effective do either of you think the short passing game and run-after-catch is going to be if Denver knows they don't have to defend against the long pass? Just put 9 or 10 guys up near the line and forget about safety help over the top. I'd expect our running game would suffer because of that too.

Count Steeler
01-12-2016, 06:25 PM
Question: How effective do either of you think the short passing game and run-after-catch is going to be if Denver knows they don't have to defend against the long pass? Just put 9 or 10 guys up near the line and forget about safety help over the top. I'd expect our running game would suffer because of that too.

Without the deep threat, it would basically be the Red Zone offense all night long. And we know how that goes.

GoSlash27
01-12-2016, 06:52 PM

So is Bryant.

SUMMATION:

That's assuming that AB is in and Big Ben is throwing. Neither is a given, so it's best to assume at this point that they're out.

The running game is the part I'm least concerned about. Denver's almost certainly going to have success stopping it anyway, and there's not a lot of drop- off with Toussaint in there. Just like Cincy, it doesn't have to gain us big yards. It just has to provide enough of a threat to keep them honest.
For the receiver problem, we have a lot of targets at our disposal thanks to our philosophy of keeping players on the roster who can handle multiple roles. Toussaint showed that he's comfortable pass protecting and catching, so we're good there. We won't get AB's YAC, but we really shouldn't need that to keep the chains moving.
Landry Jones is the million dollar question. I'm sure he'll do better than he did in Cincy, but we need to limit him to west coast type stuff to limit his vulnerability.

I think this game is going to come down to time of possession and turnovers.

teegre
01-12-2016, 07:17 PM

The last time that the Steelers played in Denver in the playoffs, it worked well... albeit, for Tebow.

As as painful as that aforementioned memory can be, think about this: The Broncos put 10 up at the LOS, and all that it takes is ONE missed tackle, and AB (or Bryant) is gooooone... a la Demaryous Thomas in OT.

Also, Brady has made a living throwing short passes, and he's never had receivers like AB or Bryant. Don't get me wrong: it's not optimal, but it's far from a death knell.

- - - Updated - - -

That's assuming that AB is in and Big Ben is throwing. Neither is a given, so it's best to assume at this point that they're out.

The running game is the part I'm least concerned about. Denver's almost certainly going to have success stopping it anyway, and there's not a lot of drop- off with Toussaint in there. Just like Cincy, it doesn't have to gain us big yards. It just has to provide enough of a threat to keep them honest.
For the receiver problem, we have a lot of targets at our disposal thanks to our philosophy of keeping players on the roster who can handle multiple roles. Toussaint showed that he's comfortable pass protecting and catching, so we're good there. We won't get AB's YAC, but we really shouldn't need that to keep the chains moving.
Landry Jones is the million dollar question. I'm sure he'll do better than he did in Cincy, but we need to limit him to west coast type stuff to limit his vulnerability.

Oh... my post assumed that BB could play and would only be able to pass about 15 yards down field.

If Landry is starting, then all bets are off.

86WARD
01-12-2016, 07:43 PM
We have one. He got injured in the preseason. Had he not, I'd be fairly confident we could compete for a win this week, as Gradkowski is better than Jones and Vick together. Young? No, but good enough to carry an otherwise good offense through a couple of games, even allow us to compete in the playoffs.

Absolutely. I'd dust off every halfback pass, WR pass, 3 yards and a cloud of dust run play, wildcat play, true singlewing play, etc., we can get our hands on, and use it during the game.

Except, we just may have the personnel to do it for a game or two. Especially if we can get D.Will and Johnson back on the field in an I formation.

I might bring back Whisenhunt and his trick playbook for the week...lol.

TD's & Beer
01-12-2016, 08:03 PM
waaaaaaah - all this loser talk

Brady has been winning with nothing but a short passing game forever - time for our coaches to get off their asses and make some changes to the gameplan to make it work.

Maybe a short passing game is just what this team needs - the egos get greedy going deep all the time. Learn to adapt for once.

NCSteeler
01-12-2016, 08:40 PM

That is why they signed Gradkowski, who is a decent backup. Not their fault he ended up hurt

- - - Updated - - -

I do think there is some drama involved. Ben threw the last pass 25 yards with pretty good velocity, you cant' tell me 8 days of rest isn't going to make his shoulder less painful and stronger. He will not be 100 percent but as we all know it's better than the alternative. I will be shocked if he doesn't play. Hopefully he builds a huge lead in case of big hit and Landry has to come in and hold on. His days of playing are numbered, this could be his last chance or 2 to get back to SB. I refuse to believe BB won't play.

The problem is most injuries get worse in the hours and day after a game. The swelling sets in and thats when they have to be managed. Immediately after the injury a pain injection can get you through

Psycho Ward 86
01-12-2016, 08:54 PM

based on what we've seen their defense do all year, id rather hope that he plays at least as "well" in Denver if we need him as he did in Cincy

Dino 6 Rings
01-12-2016, 09:02 PM
first play, slant. second play, run, 3rd and 1....Deep pass down the right sideline to a wide open Bryant!!!!

yep...he'll play.

- - - Updated - - -

we should have signed Tebow instead of Vick...imagine that revenge factor...Tebow against the team that cut him...mmmm

GoSlash27
01-12-2016, 09:14 PM
based on what we've seen their defense do all year, id rather hope that he plays at least as "well" in Denver if we need him as he did in Cincy

Well... I'm hoping we get the Landry Jones we saw against Arizona. We have all week to get him prepared and Denver doesn't have a lot of film on him.

GoSlash27
01-12-2016, 09:27 PM
The problem is most injuries get worse in the hours and day after a game. The swelling sets in and thats when they have to be managed. Immediately after the injury a pain injection can get you through

This is true. You can even get by without the pain injection if you just have to. The shoulder still works immediately after the injury. But later on is a different story. It's not the pain, it's that the shoulder is no longer physically capable of moving cleanly through the range of motion required to throw a ball.
The bigger problem is the damage caused by the attempt. The joint isn't designed to move that way with that kind of force. Lots of structural damage, scar tissue, etc.

Shoes
01-12-2016, 09:47 PM

I think that's exactly what it will come down to.

Psycho Ward 86
01-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Well... I'm hoping we get the Landry Jones we saw against Arizona. We have all week to get him prepared and Denver doesn't have a lot of film on him.

no one's seen that Landry Jones since the Arizona game. And Denver is head and shoulders a way better defense than anybody else imo. Certainly Arizona

salamander
01-12-2016, 10:12 PM
I just have this underlying fear that even if Ben plays, he won't be very effective and I see a 3 or 4 INT performance simply because he physically can't make the throws because of his shoulder. Let's hope the football gods are with the Steelers the rest of the way.

:pray::crossed:

katmandu
01-12-2016, 10:34 PM
The question is, with a torn ligament, can you tear it any worse? Maybe it just hurts like hell but already is injured as badly as it's going to get. Without any doctors around to answer that, Yes, the tear can get worse. Much worse actually.

I'm not a Doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ! :willy: :wink02: :grin:

Craic
01-13-2016, 01:07 AM
It's a shame we cut John Kuhn. He could have won the whole thing for us without any need for Ben or DeAngelo Williams. Just another feather in his cap on his way to a first-round HOF entry.

86WARD
01-13-2016, 05:42 AM
no one's seen that Landry Jones since the Arizona game. And Denver is head and shoulders a way better defense than anybody else imo. Certainly Arizona

Arizona defense is no slouch. Top-5 and may have been the second best defense in the league when Jones beat them the first time.

polamalubeast
01-13-2016, 06:23 AM

teegre
01-13-2016, 06:27 AM
Arizona defense is no slouch. Top-5 and may have been the second best defense in the league when Jones beat them the first time.

Spot on.
KC's defense is every bit as good as Denver's, to boot.

I know, I know, the Steelers lost to the Chiefs. But... the game hinged on three plays:

-3rd-&-2 from the 6 yard line. D.Williams drops a gimme pass. No touchdown (let alone first down). That is -4 points.

-turnover on downs. The Steelers were in "no man's land." Slightly too far for a FG, and not worth it to punt. They did not convert a 4th-&-1, missing out on a FG. That is -3 points.

-interception. Down by 6 (instead of being up by 1), Haley gripped and had Landry throw it like five times in a row. The Chiefs locked in and got the INT (setting up an easy score). D.Williams had been running all over that defense, but got zero carries on that (short) drive.

Here is a more detailed breakdown:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/tpop-recap-of-steelers-vs-chiefs-three-plays-and-out/

polamalubeast
01-13-2016, 09:13 AM

- - - Updated - - -

fansince'76
01-13-2016, 09:49 AM
Spot on.
KC's defense is every bit as good as Denver's, to boot.

I know, I know, the Steelers lost to the Chiefs. But... the game hinged on three plays:

-3rd-&-2 from the 6 yard line. D.Williams drops a gimme pass. No touchdown (let alone first down). That is -4 points.

-turnover on downs. The Steelers were in "no man's land." Slightly too far for a FG, and not worth it to punt. They did not convert a 4th-&-1, missing out on a FG. That is -3 points.

-interception. Down by 6 (instead of being up by 1), Haley gripped and had Landry throw it like five times in a row. The Chiefs locked in and got the INT (setting up an easy score). D.Williams had been running all over that defense, but got zero carries on that (short) drive.

Here is a more detailed breakdown:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/tpop-recap-of-steelers-vs-chiefs-three-plays-and-out/

I personally don't really count the losses where Roethlisberger didn't play.

It's also kinda funny in retrospect that the Chiefs were 1-5 at the time (2-5 after this win) and Tomlin was once again endlessly derided for losing to another "shitty" team...

polamalubeast
01-13-2016, 09:53 AM

It's also kinda funny in retrospect that the Chiefs were 1-5 at the time (2-5 after this win) and Tomlin was once again endlessly derided for losing to another "shitty" team...

I defended Tomlin after the loss against the Chiefs.

The only loss that I have a big problem with was the 2nd loss against the Ravens.

fansince'76
01-13-2016, 09:56 AM
I defended Tomlin after the loss against the Chiefs.

I was alluding to a certain someone else who seemed obsessed with sunglasses, poker, James Bond, the flatulence of oversized semi-aquatic mammals, logical fallacies and wacky conspiracy theories... :chuckle:

polamalubeast
01-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not take a painkilling injection when he reentered the AFC wild card game against the Bengals Saturday night, but that will be an option Sunday when the Steelers play the Denver Broncos in a divisional round game at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

Roethlisberger took a break from his shoulder rehabilitation Wednesday morning to speak with reporters. He said he might do some work at practice today, but he has yet to throw and does not know when that will happen.

“Take a lot of mental reps, getting there doing my rehab and treatment, doing everything the doctors say to get back,” said Roethlisberger, who was injured on the final play of the third quarter when Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict sacked him.

Pain in his shoulder prevented Roethlisberger from throwing the ball more than 10 or 15 yards down the field against the Bengals. That would change if he takes an injection before the game against the Broncos.

Roethlisberger said it would be tough to build an offensive game plan without the ability to throw the ball 25 or 30 yards down the field.

“It’d be tough,” he said. “I don’t want to be out there if I hurt the team. If you can’t throw the ball 25 or 30 yards down the field you’re hurting your team. I don’t think we’ll put ourselves in that situation. If we can, any way possible, pain medicine whatever it is, if I have to be in pain the next day, then I’ll deal with it.

“We’re going to do everything we can to get it as stable as we can. We’ll see what kind of pain we can deal with on Sunday.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/13/Roethlsberger-says-building-a-game-plan-would-be-tough-without-knowing-how-hard-he-can-throw/stories/201601130181

teegre
01-13-2016, 11:37 AM

Yeah... but... Andy Reid doesn't play poker.

:wink02:

Joking aside, my intent was to point out that the Chiefs defense is every bit as good as Denver's... and, even though Landry Jones started that Chiefs game, it was still winnable. Ergo, despite BB being hobbled (or, if Landry Jones has to start), all us not lost.

tube517
01-13-2016, 11:57 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/53/d6/85/53d68555075716fd3772e753cd2fe160.jpg :chuckle:

polamalubeast
01-13-2016, 02:14 PM

polamalubeast
01-13-2016, 02:45 PM

TD's & Beer
01-13-2016, 02:54 PM
@ I fully expect Ben Roethlisberger to play Sunday against the Broncos. In fact, I expect him to play well.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20160112%2FBLOGS08%2F160119863#.VpV tNx0wptk.twitter

polamalubeast
01-13-2016, 06:06 PM

Nadroj 20
01-14-2016, 10:21 AM

I had a grade three ankle sprain and by definition all three ligaments in my ankle were torn. It becomes a different animal based on which body part the ligaments are torn in. Obviously your ACL is one that is more severe if torn. I don't know much about shoulders though.

zoneblitzerII
01-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Paging Mr. Miyagi.

polamalubeast
01-14-2016, 01:38 PM
Steelers QB Roethlisberger won’t throw at Thursday’s practice

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't test his injured shoulder for at least another day — at least when it comes to throwing the ball.

However, Roethlisberger will be back on the field on Thursday for the first time since hurting his AC joint in his throwing shoulder in preparation for Sunday's AFC divisional game against the Broncos at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

“I am not going to do any throwing,” Roethlisberger told the Tribune-Review in the locker room moments before the start of practice on Thursday. “I will do some handoff work and stuff like that.”

read more

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9798994-74/roethlisberger-practice-shoulder

Rotorhead
01-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Well it is a start, I think it is good to rest it as long as possible, but they eventually have to see what he is capable of doing (Friday, Sat in Denver?, Sunday Morning for a game day decision?) This has been the longest week!

polamalubeast
01-15-2016, 11:47 AM

- - - Updated - - -

polamalubeast
01-15-2016, 11:54 AM

polamalubeast
01-15-2016, 12:00 PM

polamalubeast
01-15-2016, 12:40 PM

smokin3000gt
01-15-2016, 10:56 PM
I don't know why everyone insist on letting our opponent know exactly what we're doing and how we intend to do it. Why not keep them guessing?

tube517
01-16-2016, 04:30 AM
I don't know why everyone insist on letting our opponent know exactly what we're doing and how we intend to do it. Why not keep them guessing?
You are such a poker player! [emoji14]

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

polamalubeast
01-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Unsurprisingly, Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger To Start Against Broncos

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/report-unsurprisingly-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-to-start-against-broncos/

This would be one for the ages if the steelers win in Denver!

tube517
01-16-2016, 01:16 PM
http://www.dawgpoundnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/why-do-you-have-to-make-so-much-drama.jpg :lol: