PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: A Burfict Angel

teegre
01-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Here is my latest editorial from The Point of Pittsburgh.

A Burfict Angel
by Tiger Rowan

Steelers fans need to lay off of Vontaze Burfict. I have checked with various news outlets in the Cincinnati area, and they confirm that Burfict did absolutely nothing wrong. More importantly, Bengals fans have used logic, reason, and decorum when informing me that not only did Burfict do nothing wrong, if he did somehow maybe possibly do something wrong, the Steelers deserved it.

We could start with last season, when Burfict was accused of twisting Cam Newton’s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrTImYoXjcM) and Greg Olsen’s ankles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZY4siRtNDg). But, obviously, those incidents do not count, because they occurred over a year ago. There is an expiration date on recidivism.

Instead, let us start with the first Bengals-Steelers matchup. In that game, when Le’Veon Bell was injured, Burfict was not applauding the injury and/or taunting an injured player. Burfict was merely dancing to a song on the P.A. system.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/steelers-win-after-being-touched-by-a-burfict-angel/

Feel free so send this to any Steelers fans who still think that Burfict isn't a charming human being. ( :wink02: )

tube517
01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
:applaudit:

Mojouw
01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
As always, letting cold clinical logic and and a well articulated series of events stand as the best counter-argument to all the other ridiculous claims floating around.

Well done!

Dissolv
01-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Very nice! :-) FWIW I work with a bunch of Ravens fans, and they were both disgusted by the Bengals behavior, and glad we won(!) And this is from people who usually root for the meteor when the Steelers play anybody -- that's how bad the Bengals were.

Dissolv

teegre
01-11-2016, 10:40 AM
As always, letting cold clinical logic and and a well articulated series of events stand as the best counter-argument to all the other ridiculous claims floating around.

Well done!

As in:
The antithesis of Deion simply yelling over LaDainian in order to prove his point. :wink02:

I'm louder... so I must be righter!!!!!

(Thanks.)

Steelman
01-11-2016, 10:43 AM
Lovely snarky piece!

teegre
01-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Very nice! :-) FWIW I work with a bunch of Ravens fans, and they were both disgusted by the Bengals behavior, and glad we won(!) And this is from people who usually root for the meteor when the Steelers play anybody -- that's how bad the Bengals were.

Dissolv

I read an article from a few Ravens beat writers (Baltimore Sun?) that simply said this:

"I never thought that I'd ever root against a Steelers opponent... until Saturday night. THAT is how disgraceful the Bengals have become."

Mojouw
01-11-2016, 11:10 AM
I read a piece over at "Football Outsiders" - I know right? What I surprise that I like the math nerd football site.

Anyways, long story short, the resident Bengals fan absolutely distorts reality in an attempt to rationally justify the Bengals performance. And this is on a site where logic is usually placed in the forefront of all their pieces.

Over the years, I've talked a ton of Steelers football and watched a lot of games with my Dad. We started noticing this with the Ray Lewis era Ravens teams and now it seems the Bengals want to be in the club too. Basically boils down to this - if you have a talented enough team (which the Ravens did and the Bengals do) you can beat the Steelers. But if you want to basically scrap playing football and walk out to the 50 yard line and punch each other in the mouth - you will never win. Never. The Steelers are too mentally disciplined while the old Ravens squads and the current Bengals squads are not. Those teams will "crack" under the requirements of a "street fight" game and eventually do something stupid and lose the game.

Now I am not saying my Dad and I had any great insight - just noticed a pattern. I hope the Bengals continue to attempt to turn these contests into a bloodbath. Steelers win that every time. You try and feed the ball to Eifert and Green with some nice runs by Hill mixed in and then expose the Steelers deep pass game to that talented defense, I'm not sure the Steelers win all that often in a "straight up" game. But you wanna fly all over the place and make it a contest of who can walk right up to the line, but not over it the best? Well, then just take your defeat right away and spare your roster the physical toll.

fansince'76
01-11-2016, 11:12 AM
As in:
The antithesis of Deion simply yelling over LaDainian in order to prove his point. :wink02:

I'm louder... so I must be righter!!!!!

(Thanks.)

Sounds like "Prime Time" attended the Stephen A. Smith School of "Debate"...

teegre
01-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Sounds like "Prime Time" attended the Stephen A. Smith School of "Debate"...

My point...

COUNTERPOINT...

MY POINT!!!

COUNTERPOINT!!!!!

MY POINT!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I read a piece over at "Football Outsiders" - I know right? What I surprise that I like the math nerd football site.

Anyways, long story short, the resident Bengals fan absolutely distorts reality in an attempt to rationally justify the Bengals performance. And this is on a site where logic is usually placed in the forefront of all their pieces.

Over the years, I've talked a ton of Steelers football and watched a lot of games with my Dad. We started noticing this with the Ray Lewis era Ravens teams and now it seems the Bengals want to be in the club too. Basically boils down to this - if you have a talented enough team (which the Ravens did and the Bengals do) you can beat the Steelers. But if you want to basically scrap playing football and walk out to the 50 yard line and punch each other in the mouth - you will never win. Never. The Steelers are too mentally disciplined while the old Ravens squads and the current Bengals squads are not. Those teams will "crack" under the requirements of a "street fight" game and eventually do something stupid and lose the game.

Now I am not saying my Dad and I had any great insight - just noticed a pattern. I hope the Bengals continue to attempt to turn these contests into a bloodbath. Steelers win that every time. You try and feed the ball to Eifert and Green with some nice runs by Hill mixed in and then expose the Steelers deep pass game to that talented defense, I'm not sure the Steelers win all that often in a "straight up" game. But you wanna fly all over the place and make it a contest of who can walk right up to the line, but not over it the best? Well, then just take your defeat right away and spare your roster the physical toll.

That is sheer brilliance.

Really, I have never really thought about it, but that is magnificent insight and a superb explanation.

Count Steeler
01-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Allegiance should not trump logic and criminal behavior. I expect to have a few hard core Bengals fans to toe the party line to the end, but if this was my Pittsburgh Steelers and that is the performance that just occurred, I would be completely done with them.

Just thinking back to the shot before the game and I remember seeing Tomlin at the 50 yard line, but I can't remember if Lewis was there as well.

I have zero respect for Lewis and he needs to be canned. Burfict needs to be severely punished and an extremely short leash. Never mind criminal activity off the field, you can not have criminal activity on the field.

There is also something to be said as where we are as a society. The 4th quarter in Cincinnati was eerily similar to the 7th inning of the Blue Jays/ Texans game in Toronto. The threshold of proper behavior is way too low for my liking.

steelreserve
01-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Sorry man, you crossed the line when you called out BengalGirl5150. This article is crap.

Steelman
01-11-2016, 01:54 PM

What's funny is you could argue that the Steelers were actually less mentally disciplined based on amount of flags and penalty yards against Cincy. But it was the Bungles who lost their shit and came unhinged at the end just like your hypothesis.

Born2Steel
01-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Saw this on my twitter feed....."Ben Roethlisberger is so good that he just got 30 yards on an incomplete pass."

teegre
01-11-2016, 02:42 PM
Saw this on my twitter feed....."Ben Roethlisberger is so good that he just got 30 yards on an incomplete pass."

I am going to steal that.

teegre
01-11-2016, 02:49 PM
There is also something to be said as where we are as a society. The 4th quarter in Cincinnati was eerily similar to the 7th inning of the Blue Jays/ Texans game in Toronto. The threshold of proper behavior is way too low for my liking.

Throwing popcorn: eh
Throwing trash: eh
Throwing water bottles: eh
Throwing batteries: WTF!?!

In southern California, we refer to San Fransisco Giants fans as "battery chuckers"... because, well... they chuck batteries at opposing players.

We need a more clever name for Bengals fans...

Count Steeler
01-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Throwing popcorn: eh
Throwing trash: eh
Throwing water bottles: eh
Throwing batteries: WTF!?!

In southern California, we refer to San Fransisco Giants fans as "battery chuckers"... because, well... they chuck batteries at opposing players.

We need a more clever name for Bengals fans...

Heard from a friend who was listening to Rush Limbaugh today. Apparently some Bengals fans of the male persuasion took it upon themselves to urinate on some female Steelers fans. I am really surprised that there wasn't more violence in the stands.

Not that Cincinnati was ever on my places to visit wish list, but there is a whole lot of stupid in that city and I would never go there. Stillers4me and any other Steelers fans living in Cincinnati, you have my sympathies. No wonder it is the bed bug capital.

fansince'76
01-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Not that Cincinnati was ever on my places to visit wish list, but there is a whole lot of stupid in that city and I would never go there. Stillers4me and any other Steelers fans living in Cincinnati, you have my sympathies. No wonder it is the bed bug capital.

Suit used to call it "Bedbug City." :lol:

86WARD
01-11-2016, 03:35 PM

Good post mojouw. Good read as usual on the article.

Count Steeler
01-11-2016, 04:50 PM

See, that's what the league doesn't understand. Dirty does not equal physicality.

Moose
01-11-2016, 05:05 PM

LMAO ! Awesome.

teegre
01-11-2016, 05:38 PM
Heard from a friend who was listening to Rush Limbaugh today. Apparently some Bengals fans of the male persuasion took it upon themselves to urinate on some female Steelers fans. I am really surprised that there wasn't more violence in the stands.

When I first started reading, I thought that you were going to say that Bengals fans had urinated (over the railings) onto the Steelers.

Pissing on other fans... is even worse.

teegre
01-11-2016, 06:32 PM
By the way, as a follow up...

Pacman is simply nuts. Like clinical. They were talking on the radio about how Pacman truly BELIEVES that AB was faking his concussion.

On the Dan Patrick show (after two days to calm down), Pacman SWEARS that AB is faking.

Holy crap... that is crazy. Not kooky, like you prefer salt on your cereal... but, truly insane, like you hear voices in your head.

86WARD
01-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Both Burfict and Jones should be analyzed psychologically. Especially Burfict...he has the means and attitude to seriously injure someone.

teegre
01-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Both Burfict and Jones should be analyzed psychologically. Especially Burfict...he has the means and attitude to seriously injure someone.

Spot on.

My wife suggested the following:
BB was able to play earlier in the game, but the Steelers kept him off of the field until they fell behind (until they absolutely HAD to play him)... because, the Steelers figured that Burfict would target BB's shoulder.

She he may be right. Because, crazy does not follow rules. Crazy simply happens... and, injuries follow.

Steel Peon
01-11-2016, 11:14 PM
You might think that Burfict should have been penalized for excessive celebration and/or for multiple players being involved in the celebration. But, what you do not realize is that Burfict was leading those players down the hallway in order to re-inflate the football. After last season’s Deflate-gate incident, Burfict was not taking any chances.

On Pittsburgh’s final drive, Burfict was flagged for helmet-to-helmet contact with a defenseless receiver (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-Y5bmBQzU). What many of you do not realize is that Antonio Brown completely faked the entire incident… just ask Pacman Jones. Brown faked the hit so well that the NFL placed him in mandatory concussion protocol. That is some truly impressive flopping by Brown.

:rofl2:

teegre
01-12-2016, 06:51 AM
I don't know how to post a gif, but there's one of Foster pushing Burfict, and Burfict trying to stomp on Foster's foot.

THE POINT:
On that particular play, Foster got flagged for the push. Burfict's foot stomp was ignored (although BengalGirl5150 told me that Burfict is a podiatrist).

Adding salt into that 15-yard wound, the penalty came after a 17-yard gain.

Essentially, that ticky-tack foul cost the Steelers 32 yards... and basically turned a FG (possible TD) into a punt.

tube517
01-12-2016, 10:51 AM
I don't know how to post a gif, but there's one of Foster pushing Burfict, and Burfict trying to stomp on Foster's foot.

THE POINT:
On that particular play, Foster got flagged for the push. Burfict's foot stomp was ignored (although BengalGirl5150 told me that Burfict is a podiatrist).

Essentially, that ticky-tack foul cost the Steelers 32 yards... and basically turned a FG (possible TD) into a punt.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/25090-Well-Take-a-look-at-this?p=535146&viewfull=1#post535146

SteelMember
01-12-2016, 11:27 AM

THE POINT:

DeCastro said he spit in his face when he was laying on top of him... I think you could go back to every questionable play in the game, and 55 was in the picture.

teegre
01-12-2016, 05:52 PM
DeCastro said he spit in his face when he was laying on top of him... I think you could go back to every questionable play in the game, and 55 was in the picture.

I re-watched the final 1:50 last night. During the game, I was so focused on winning, the I did not notice a few things. What was interesting was that Burfict was involved in some sort of antics on every single play.

-He got into it with Chikcillo on the kick-off.
-There was his interception.
-Then, he ran off of the field/down the hallway.
-He was pushing someone after the play.
-Another small scuffle.
-Head-hunting AB.
-Pushing the old coach who was holding up AB.

Nance and Simms must have noted his actions five times during that stretch... and, they weren't being nice. They were saying things like:

"Another scuffle... guess who's in the middle of it?"
"Guess who is doing "x"???"
"Disgraceful."

stillers4me
01-12-2016, 06:41 PM
The Bengals fans at work are convinced that Burfict's hit on AB was from his shoulder and Shazier's hit on Bernard was a dirty head shot.

Born2Steel
01-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Does anybody remember the Bengals game when coach Sam Wyche got on the P.A. mic and made his famous "you don't live in Cleveland..." speech? I think this was mid to late 80s. The Cincy fans were throwing all kinds of stuff onto the field. Those ass hats have a special kind of no-class, always have in my mind. None of what I saw from them on Saturday surprised me. Coach Wyche got it completely wrong.

It's too bad when a player with the talent Burfict possesses is a total tool in the brains department.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bengals fans at work are convinced that Burfict's hit on AB was from his shoulder and Shazier's hit on Bernard was a dirty head shot.

You have to just consider the source. Trash begets trash.

teegre
01-12-2016, 06:59 PM

Tell them this:

Shazier's hit might have been a penalty. Let's assume thar it was. That isn't really important. The two hits are still vastly different.

Bernard had the ball in his hands; AB did not.

Shazier was trying to make a tackle; Burfict was trying to hit another player.

It is as simple as that. Period.

teegre
01-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Does anybody remember the Bengals game when coach Sam Wyche got on the P.A. mic and made his famous "you don't live in Cleveland..." speech? I think this was mid to late 80s. The Cincy fans were throwing all kinds of stuff onto the field. Those ass hats have a special kind of no-class, always have in my mind. None of what I saw from them on Saturday surprised me. Coach Wyche got it completely wrong.

Nance and Simms referenced that speech/rant of Wyche's.

Maybe they should have referenced soccer hooligans, instead. :scared:

Mojouw
01-12-2016, 08:53 PM
Here you are:

https://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykI

Count Steeler
01-13-2016, 05:21 AM
Here you are:

https://youtu.be/yJMa20xXykI

And the current coach praises the crowd and thanks them for creating such an environment. No wonder the Bugles have issues.

86WARD
01-13-2016, 05:27 AM
Did we find out the context of Lewis' comments? It's unbelievable that he would praise that...lol. Lost so much respect for him...so much...

Count Steeler
01-13-2016, 05:30 AM
Did we find out the context of Lewis' comments? It's unbelievable that he would praise that...lol. Lost so much respect for him...so much...

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Lewis-News-Conference-111-Pt-1/96bbf0ee-3e92-4e28-8fec-d881da12cbc0

Yeah, he went there.

This is from the Marvin Lewis thread. Might as well spread the lunacy.

86WARD
01-13-2016, 05:31 AM
Wow...

teegre
01-13-2016, 06:34 AM
I know a Ravens fan who said that when Marvin Lewis was the DC for the Ravens, the players did a lot of the same stuff: fights, personal fouls, et cetera.

Then, soon after Marvin left, that type of behavior vanished. The defenses were just as good, but the "unsportsmanlike" stuff was not allowed (let alone condoned).

Marvin may seem quiet, but it appears that HE might have as many issues as his players do.

This sums it up:
"...lost the cool & composure that we had had for the first 58 minutes of the ballgame."