PDA

View Full Version : Unsubstantiated Report: Ben has separated shoulder

hawaiiansteeler
01-10-2016, 09:26 PM
Report: Ben Roethlisberger has separated shoulder

USA TODAY Sports January 10, 2016

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/34526b765ec14352beb4863ed9aaa46b7044fa6d/c=0-0-2989-2247&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2016/01/10/USATODAY/USATODAY/635880302106421532-USP-NFL-AFC-WILD-CARD-PITTSBURGH-STEELERS-AT-CINC-78750412.JPG

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has a right separated shoulder, NFL Network's Michael Silver reported.

The signal-caller told reporters Sunday he underwent an MRI but did not know the extent of the injury in his throwing arm. He said he was "sore" but hoped he would not be held out of action.

Roethlisberger sustained the injury on a sack by Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfact in the third quarter of Saturday's 18-16 wild-card win. He left the game but returned in the final minutes for the Steelers' game-winning drive.

Backup Landry Jones stepped in for Roethlisberger after the injury. He completed two of five passes for 11 yards and an interception.

The Steelers play next Sunday at the Denver Broncos in the AFC divisional round.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2016/01/10/ben-roethlisberger-shoulder-injury-mri/78594104/

Shoes
01-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown appear to be a go for Denver

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict knocked the Steelers’ two biggest offensive stars out of the game before he helped send them into the next round of the AFC playoffs.
But both of those players — quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown — have a chance to be ready Sunday for a divisional-round playoff game at Denver.
Roethlisberger’s injured right shoulder is “sore,” but he said there apparently is no ligament damage and is “day to day” for the top-seeded Broncos.
Speaking briefly as he walked through the locker room Sunday at the Steelers practice facility, Roethlisberger said he had a magnetic resonance imaging exam on his throwing shoulder after he was injured on a sack by Burfict on the final play of the third quarter. Roethlisberger, though, said he was not sure the extent of the injury.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/01/10/Steelers-Ben-Roethlisberger-s-shoulder-is-sore-after-sack-by-Bengals-Burfict/stories/201601100231

TD's & Beer
01-10-2016, 09:40 PM
He'll be fine....rub some dirt on it

Edman
01-10-2016, 09:41 PM
No, he doesn't.

He'll play.

GoSlash27
01-10-2016, 09:42 PM
This is one of those situations where the staff has to step in and save a competitor from himself.
Yeah, we probably tank against Denver as a result... *But* if Ben steps in and tries to push it, he may lose the ability to ever throw a football again.
IMO it's not worth the risk, even just to test the waters. Put in Landry Jones and hope that the others can do enough to get the win. If it doesn't work out, that's life. We still have next year. Put Ben in, and there's a chance that there is no next year. He's done. Like *forever*.

Take it from a guy who can no longer throw a football (or anything else for that matter); it ain't worth it!

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2016, 09:54 PM
He'll be fine....rub some dirt on it

please tell me this is sarcasm

steelreserve
01-10-2016, 10:21 PM
All the "reports" seem to be this one guy speculating that he has a separated shoulder before they did an MRI. Which means it could be anything from the best outcome on the map to the worst.

Just for example: I had a similar injury after a bad fall when I hit some ice while skiing. Flipped and landed straight on the shoulder with my full weight - arm bent awkwardly, snap, pop, and hurt like hell to even try to lift the arm. I figured for sure it was a torn rotator cuff or at least a separated shoulder. Went to the doctor on Monday and it turned out to only be a very deep (and painful) bruise and some strained ligaments. No damage at all. You never know what the hell is going on until they do the tests. I do think that a serious shoulder injury tends to limit your range of motion to where most of the time you can't even attempt to throw something.

But the fact that he could still throw the ball is a good sign. I've played various sports with people who suffered separated shoulders for real, and I can tell you with 100% certainty, not a single one of them could throw a football 3 feet, let alone 10-15 yards with velocity.

Steelman
01-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Take whatever Mike Silver reports with a grain of salt. That dude makes up a lot of shit and throws it at the wall and hopes it sticks.

Psycho Ward 86
01-11-2016, 01:24 AM
Anybody know when we'll know the MRI results for certain?

Craic
01-11-2016, 01:35 AM
I can tell you with 100% certainty, not a single one of them could throw a football 3 feet, let alone 10-15 yards with velocity.

I gotta agree with you here.

Anecdotal information warning: Read further at own risk

Back in the day when I played hockey, I was trying to beat an icing. The defensemen behind me had me lined up going into the boards. Long story short, I ended up drilling the boards at full speed with my shoulder dropped. Hello separation. It wasn't that bad - doctor didn't even think it was after the x-rays, but then I got the tell-tale bump, meaning it was a mild separation. But, to SR's point above, I was out of commission for about 3-5 weeks. There was no way I could have played anymore that day, or even a week or four later.

And . . . throwing? With velocity? Not a chance.

Edman
01-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Ben will play Sunday.

ALLD
01-11-2016, 04:32 AM
Walk it off.

86WARD
01-11-2016, 05:22 AM
Drama Queen.

Born2Steel
01-11-2016, 07:58 AM
1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree AC separation will all be sore as hell. 1st, he'll definitely play. 2nd, he'll probably play. 3rd will require surgery usually. But Ben will wait til after the playoffs and play Sunday vs Broncos. He will be there.

Buckinnuts
01-11-2016, 08:52 AM
https://vine.co/#/v/iuaVb5LYHab

fansince'76
01-11-2016, 09:01 AM
Take whatever Mike Silver reports with a grain of salt. That dude makes up a lot of shit and throws it at the wall and hopes it sticks.

:iagree:

Silver is also a 100%, dyed-in-the-wool, grade-A douchebag. Always has been.

silver & black
01-11-2016, 09:16 AM
I can promise you that if it IS a serious separation, he wouldn't be able to throw anything, let alone a football. I've had two searations... 2nd* on the right and 3rd* on the left, which required surgery. Never recovered full strength and it still isn't right 12 years later.

TD's & Beer
01-11-2016, 11:08 AM
please tell me this is sarcasm

Stop believing everything you read - first reports are notoriously unreliable

Steelers 'optimistic' about Big Ben's status (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger)

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Steelers are "optimistic" Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) will play in the Divisional Round if he avoids setbacks this week.

La Canfora says the Steelers will "take every precaution," holding Ben out of practice "probably until Thursday." La Canfora calls Roethlisberger's injury a "shoulder strain" in his right (throwing) arm. It's unclear how close to 100 percent Roethlisberger will be by the end of next week, but for now the Steelers at least aren't planning to have to start Landry Jones at Denver.

hawaiiansteeler
01-11-2016, 11:41 PM
https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/bengals-fans-throw-trash-at-big-ben-as-he-goes-off.gif?w=1000

Steeldude
01-12-2016, 02:31 AM
Hopefully it isn't a torn rotator cuff. I doubt it due to the nature of the fall.

Torn cuffs are a pain. I took my daughter to the mountains the other day to see snow. When we arrived some kids were having a snowball fight. After one throw I was done. Cuffs don't heal. It sucks because I wanted to light those kids up. Oh to be in my 20's again.

TD's & Beer
01-12-2016, 04:36 AM
Ben Roethlisberger ('sore'), Antonio Brown ('fine') prepare to play

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ben-roethlisberger---sore----antonio-brown---fine---prepare-to-play-135144750.html

salamander
01-12-2016, 05:37 AM
Hopefully Ben will lead a magical tour with his injured shoulder en route to a SB50 MVP performance. :thumbsup: :chuckle:

TD's & Beer
01-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Big Ben 'very likely' to play Sunday (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger)

ESPN's Bob Holtzman reports Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder) is "very likely" to play in Sunday's Divisional Round game against the Broncos.

stillers4me
01-12-2016, 06:05 AM
Hopefully Ben will lead a magical tour with his injured shoulder en route to a SB50 MVP performance. :thumbsup: :chuckle:

Yep. Big Ben lifts the Lombardi with his left arm because is throwing arm is a useless stick dangling at his side. And then he can play it up big time about how we won the Superbowl even though the medical staff wanted to amputate his arm. :chuckle:

tube517
01-12-2016, 06:19 AM
Ben will hold up the trophy and say "Who's laughing now, assistant coaches?" and then be a guest presenter at the Grammys with AB

Deebo wins MVP and declines the Disney World trip. Disney asks him the question on camera and he just looks at the camera and says nothing and does not smile. The other LBs instead smile and say they are going to Disney world and go in his place

86WARD
01-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Not sounding so good now...

TD's & Beer
01-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger Suffered AC Joint Sprain, Torn Ligaments

Ben said that he sprained his AC joint and tore some ligaments in his shoulder in the second half against the Bengals, after he was sacked by Vontaze Burfict.

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – QB Ben Roethlisberger says that he’s still working his way back from injury, and isn’t sure of his status for Sunday’s divisional round game against the Broncos yet.

“It didn’t hurt when I reached back to throw,” Roethlisberger said of his heroic late-game drive. “But it was pushing forward to throw and then the end of the throw. So I definitely felt like I was shortening up my motion up a little bit, which is why we threw some screens, and couldn’t really get the ball down the field… I think it just more affected how I could throw it.”

“It’s definitely sore,” Roethlisberger said. “I think it’s a little bit better than it was, but we’re still going to just take it day-by-day.” He followed up with more details on his timeline for recovery.“I’ll go in tomorrow with the intent to see what I can do,” Roethlisberger said. “I honestly don’t know. I haven’t tried to throw a football since the game, and maybe that’s not even the right thing to do right away. I’ll see the doctors and trainers tomorrow, we’ll evaluate kind of how I feel. If anything, maybe I can practice and hand off and still get some mental reps that way. So we’ll really just kind of see how it goes tomorrow.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/01/12/ben-roethlisberger-still-unsure-of-status-for-broncos-game/

--------------------

Too much drama, he'll play

hawaiiansteeler
01-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Drama Queen.

Given Roethlisberger's propensity to play up his injuries - and I don't doubt he's injured - he'll play this weekend and play well #Steelers

— Dale Lolley (@dlolleyor) January 12, 2016

TD's & Beer
01-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Dulac has Ben at 85-90% likelihood of playing, AB at 50%

86WARD
01-13-2016, 04:24 PM
I like the percentages going up as the week progresses.