PDA

View Full Version : I feel sorry for Ben.

zulater
01-09-2016, 09:26 AM
I think the Steelers are going to lose today. And the two people that will take the brunt of the heat from the fans and media will be Ben Roethlisberger and to a much lesser degree ( with the media) Mike Tomlin. I can hear it already, how can a "so called franchise qb get beat by A.J. McCarron? Overrated. Hasn't won a playoff game in 5 years etc... As if the two qb's faceoff individually in a cage and battle it out. :doh: Newsflash Ben has to face a solid defense, Ben has to play on the road, and Ben lost both of his rb's from this past season. Yeah I know the Steelers are a passing team. But your ability to pass is aided great having someone in the backfield the defense has to fear. Not having DeAngelo frees up the safeties from having any concern for stopping the run. The inside lb's will be happily clogging the passing lanes all game. And so on. So of course what will eventually happen is Ben will be forcing balls into tight coverage's all day and sooner or later that will blow up in his face and some interceptions will be thrown. So of course every dummy will blame Ben almost exclusively.As if losing 40% of his starting offensive line and any semblance of a running game doesn't make any difference. And listen if you have a running game the offensive line would be more than adequate. But you don't. The Bengals are healthy on defense, and they know going in the Steelers are a one dimensional offense. I predict at least 5 sacks and no less than 2 interceptions, but I'll go out on a limb and just call it and say 3. It could even be 4. My final score prediction is Bengals 27-16. And the score will be misleadingly close.

Anyway so the offseason will be dominated by idiots calling our qb "Big Bum", claiming he isn't clutch etc.. Never mind that we lost a game where outside of qb it could easily be argued that every single unit of the Bengals is superior to the corresponding unit on the Steelers. Yeah we got AB. But they have a pretty great wr too. And they have better overall weapons with a legitimate ground game, and an elite in his prime tight end. (no offense Heath) And their offesnive line is better than ours as it stands today. And forget about it on defense. A.J gets to ski the bunny slope while Ben is faced with an Olympic Giant Slalom course.

The point of this thread is to get in front of this early. A Steeler loss is all too predictable I'm afraid. Truthfully if I could separate my head from my heart I would load up on the Bengals and the points. But I wont because even though I feel our chances are remote I could never allow myself to profit from the Steelers demise. :nono:

I'm not saying it's impossible for the Steelers to win this game. (just unlikely) In order to do so the defense will have to force multiple turnovers. Special teams have to balance in our favor, or at least can't factor against us. Martavis will have to show up. And Ben will have to play a perfect game. He's going to have to put balls in tight windows all game with no margin or error. If he pulls this one off it could rank up there ( no matter the stats) as his greatest career win to date all things considered. Yeah Ben's won some big games in the past. But in each of those cases the overall talent of the Steelers was equal to or greater than the opponent. The only one close to this one might be the divisional playoff win against the Colts in the 05 playoffs. But even then I would suggest our overall talent was equal to that teams save the qb position.

Anyway win or lose I'm sticking with Ben and Tomlin. This season just wasn't meant to be. But a little luck in the health front next season and a realistic appraisal and addressing of the roster by the front office this offseason and we should be back next season with a better overall team than we've had since 05.

I do think whoever wins this game today has an excellent chance of winning the AFC Crown. The AFC is pretty depleted due to major injuries on the better teams. It's a shame we can't take advantage because for the second post season in a row we pose no threat in the running game due strictly to injury.

Well I hope my prediction of doom today is wrong. And I'll gladly take my lumps if the Steelers end up winning this one. :pray: But I felt it was important to get this out before the game. Now feel free to pile on. :tongue1:

Dissolv
01-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Have some faith man! Yes, it will be a hard game, for all the reasons that you mention. But you don't think the Bengals fans are just as nervous? More Nervous? The game will be played on the field and it will be decided there. It will be a "hold on to your hats" type game, no doubt about it. But don't underestimate the good guys either -- or the Bengals power to Bungle.

Dissolv

polamalubeast
01-09-2016, 09:54 AM
The Bengals offense is very average without Dalton, so the Steelers will likely no have to score 30 points to win this game.

cubanstogie
01-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Have some faith man! Yes, it will be a hard game, for all the reasons that you mention. But you don't think the Bengals fans are just as nervous? More Nervous? The game will be played on the field and it will be decided there. It will be a "hold on to your hats" type game, no doubt about it. But don't underestimate the good guys either -- or the Bengals power to Bungle.

Dissolv
I agree, you don't have to be a homer and say 42-0 Steelers but there is no reason to be be so pessimistic. Enjoy the fact that Steelers are in playoffs and I think have a great shot to win. I am not on the AJ band wagon, his first playoff game will be a lot different atmosphere. I don't feel sorry for Ben, if he has good game and doesn't throw costly pic, Steelers win IMO.

Moose
01-09-2016, 10:06 AM
I also agree this game is going to come down to mistakes and turnovers. Hopefully Ben won't 'force' throws in spots for interceptions. I know our injuries in key spots is going to be the possible downfall, but who know's, those player's stepping up may have a great day for our team. I'm just hoping we win THIS game. I hate the bungholes and their fan's and having the Steeler's be their very FIRST playoff win would be a 'rub your nose in it' clause the rest of our life here who live by cincy.

zulater
01-09-2016, 10:12 AM
I agree, you don't have to be a homer and say 42-0 Steelers but there is no reason to be be so pessimistic. Enjoy the fact that Steelers are in playoffs and I think have a great shot to win. I am not on the AJ band wagon, his first playoff game will be a lot different atmosphere. I don't feel sorry for Ben, if he has good game and doesn't throw costly pic, Steelers win IMO.

I am enjoying the fact the Steelers have playoff life. I just don't think it will extend past tonight. If it does I'll be delighted. If not I'll be as disappointed as anyone. I just wont be poking the finger of blame at Ben or Tomlin.

Outside of Dalton the Bengals come into this game as healthy as a team can be. If you reversed qb's the Bengals might be double digit favorites. While qb's certainly matters, with no real running game the Bengals can shut down the passing lanes and come hard after Ben. I just think the loss of DeAngeo titled the scales too far out of our favor. You give us a healthy back and I'm picking us in a squeaker. But with no DeAngelo I just can't see our offense getting untracked.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Mojouw
01-09-2016, 10:27 AM
I'm trying to take the perspective that they are close to playing with house money at this point. With all the injuries and the roster issues on defense not sure I can expect much more than 9-7. Maybe 10-6 and a playoff game is pretty damn good. Or not. I don't know.

polamalubeast
01-09-2016, 10:32 AM
I will be happy of the season if the steelers win tonight even if they lose against Denver after.

Otherwise, this season will be considered as a disappointment.....It's time to win a playoff game especially this is against a backup QB.

st33lersguy
01-09-2016, 10:36 AM
This feels all too similar to the Baltimore game last year. Steelers left without a RB because their top RB at the time of the final game got injured, Steelers have by far the worse defense of the 2 teams and Ben being left with a better defense without a legit RB while the lesser QB benefits with playing a worse defense. Not good

Skinart82
01-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Is this reverse psychology? I do that too sometimes

teegre
01-09-2016, 10:40 AM
This might be the only time (that I can recall) disagreeing with you, Zu.

I think that BB goes off. He will learn from the second Ravens loss, and dump it off to Heath 20 times. He will go "no huddle" and/or call his own plays. I feel that it will be a good day.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 10:40 AM
This feels all too similar to the Baltimore game last year. Steelers left without a RB because their top RB at the time of the final game got injured, Steelers have by far the worse defense of the 2 teams and Ben being left with a better defense without a legit RB while the lesser QB benefits with playing a worse defense. Not good

Nope. D-Will, while an invaluable contributor, did not represent 33% of our offensive output like Bell did last year.

cubanstogie
01-09-2016, 10:43 AM
I am enjoying the fact the Steelers have playoff life. I just don't think it will extend past tonight. If it does I'll be delighted. If not I'll be as disappointed as anyone. I just wont be poking the finger of blame at Ben or Tomlin.

Outside of Dalton the Bengals come into this game as healthy as a team can be. If you reversed qb's the Bengals might be double digit favorites. While qb's certainly matters, with no real running game the Bengals can shut down the passing lanes and come hard after Ben. I just think the loss of DeAngeo titled the scales too far out of our favor. You give us a healthy back and I'm picking us in a squeaker. But with no DeAngelo I just can't see our offense getting untracked.

But I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think losing Williams we be as big as losing Bell for last years playoff game. The offensive line is giving Ben more time than he has ever had. Now I realize you have to keep them honest and have some sort of success running but its not like we need 100 yards from a back to win. If O line gives Ben time let him win or lose the game. A few 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 conversions from these backs could be enough to overcome Deangelos absence.

Shoes
01-09-2016, 10:49 AM

I think that BB goes off. He will learn from the second Ravens loss, and dump it off to Heath 20 times. He will go "no huddle" and/or call his own plays. I feel that it will be a good day.

I agree TR, I think Ben will be focused and a focused, pissed Ben will translate into a win.

- - - Updated - - -

If the oline opens holes and they will, Fitz & Todman will suffice.

zulater
01-09-2016, 10:57 AM

You make a good case.

I'd much rather you be right than me. :drink:

zulater
01-09-2016, 11:04 AM
Is this reverse psychology? I do that too sometimes

Perhaps a little. :chuckle:

Seriously though I just wanted to get out in front of the fire Tomlin- trade Ben threads that are sure to come if we lose while I still have control of my emotion's and wits.

cubanstogie
01-09-2016, 11:14 AM
If you rewind to when Ben went down with injury I think everyone of us we take the position we are in now. Throw in the fact that the Bungles are playing with a back up QB and we have every reason to be confident. Now if we were playing with Landry Jones as our starter I would be very pessimistic. Ben has a chance to move up to Brady , Manning and Rodgers status this post season if he plays the way he has been minus the pics. Let's hope he makes the most of the opportunity.

st33lersguy
01-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Nope. D-Will, while an invaluable contributor, did not represent 33% of our offensive output like Bell did last year.

Still though D-Will>>>>>>Toussaint. D-Will while not as good as Bell still was a key contributor to the run game while Toussaint has looked ineffective in limited action

GoSlash27
01-09-2016, 11:40 AM
The general mood around here is that Toussaint will be ineffective or that we will abandon the run and go to the air almost exclusively.

If that is indeed the case, then yeah... The Steelers will almost certainly lose this game.

Personally, I think we're going to use the run to at least "keep them honest". I'm pretty sure we're capable of pulling that off with this line, and if so we will be able to put up enough points to win.

The rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated...

GoSlash27
01-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Still though D-Will>>>>>>Toussaint. D-Will while not as good as Bell still was a key contributor to the run game while Toussaint has looked ineffective in limited action

I dunno. Clearly D-Will would be playing if he was available, but the stats in that game didn't show a big difference. D-Will got 5 carries for 8 yards (1.6 YPC) with a longest of 6 while Toussaint got 12 carries for 24 yards (2 YPC) with a longest of 5. I have to blame the ineffectiveness on the Browns, not Toussaint.

Count Steeler
01-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Zu and the reverse ju-ju. It has worked before, Zu. I hope it does tonight.

There is no getting in front of the mayhem that will ensue a Steelers lose, especially if Ben throws 1 or 2 interceptions. The way I see it, we are playing with house money. We have 1 of the worst secondaries in the NFL and we made the playoffs. I'm looking forward to some off season moves to shore up the defense and try to keep most of the offense in tact.

As long as we don't lose Munchak or Haley, (yes Haley), we will have an open window to the SB over the next 3-4 years.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 12:20 PM

No argument that D-Will is the better option than "Frenchie." But that's still a far cry from losing a guy you've become dependent on for one third of your offense. Not to mention trying to replace that sort of production with a guy you just picked up off the scrap heap earlier in the week.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 12:21 PM
More than anything, I really just want another week's reprieve from certain people who only show up after losses to proclaim how "unclutch" and "non-elite" Ben is. Not naming any names, though. :coffee:

Polamalu Princess
01-09-2016, 12:27 PM
I have faith. Yes, this is going to be a tough game but we can do it. The Steelers will have full hearts and play the game the way that we know that they can. I am looking for great things tonight. Not backing down. We bleed Black and Gold - let's stay positive!

lotas
01-09-2016, 12:36 PM

I just rewatched the last Cincinnati game and except for just a few passes, Ben was dead on and the offense as a whole did a great job. I don't see why Ben wouldn't have a similarly good game this time, especially with everything on the line in the post-season, AND after calling out his own receiver to step up and perform. The Big Ben we hope to see will show up.

Nope. D-Will, while an invaluable contributor, did not represent 33% of our offensive output like Bell did last year.Exactly. Bell was literally what our entire offense was geared around last year, he was the wheels of the bus. The wheels fell off at the end of the season, and our offense went down accordingly.

This year we are much more balanced and less centered around one player. Even taking AB out of the game (a la Seattle), our offense was still able to churn out nearly 400 yards.

stillers4me
01-09-2016, 12:48 PM
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014-02/enhanced/webdr03/21/10/anigif_enhanced-28929-1392997770-21.gif

zoneblitzerII
01-09-2016, 01:14 PM
Everything is setting up for a Steelers loss. I mean wouldn't it be fitting that the one time Dalton doesn't play they get their first playoff win in ages. As for Ben, he needs to protect the ball and take what the D gives him and see how this thing will play out. He can't go out there and keep throwing 2 picks per game in the playoffs and expect to advance. It just doesn't work that way. If they can go out there, be patient and throw in a few wrinkles on offense they have a great shot of advancing. However, if they go in with the way they finished the season, it's one and done.

st33lersguy
01-09-2016, 01:33 PM
I just hope this team is ready to match the Bengals intensity. The Bengals want this win badly. This franchise hasn't won a playoff game in 25 years and most of these players have experienced first hand multiple one-and-dones in a row. Plus they would like to get a big win on a franchise that has owned them since the series began 4 and a half decades ago. This Steelers need to be prepared to bring their A-game because the Bengals are desperate to get this win

GBMelBlount
01-09-2016, 01:50 PM
I do think tonight will come down to which Ben shows up.

The Ben who crushes in Ohio or the Ben who throws more interceptions than touchdowns on the road?

Either way with 40 degrees and rain and a light backfield Ben will have his work cut out for him tonight...:crossed:

steelreserve
01-09-2016, 02:06 PM
Ben's not going to take the blame unless he throws 4 interceptions and we only score 10 points. If we lose, it's 90% likely the cause is another stunning defensive collapse, triggered largely by continuing to start Antwon Blake at cornerback.

I don't think we'll lose this one, though. The only way Cincinnati is like last year's Baltimore team is that they're in the same division. They've got a worse defense and a backup QB, and typical of Cincinnati, they're entering the postseason in a slump. If we play a good game and don't do anything stupid, we ought to win.

ALLD
01-09-2016, 02:44 PM
I am wearing the same Super Bowl XL Champs t-shirt I wore last week for the victory and took a nice big dump this morning. It's serendipity, we will win.

tube517
01-09-2016, 02:46 PM
I am wearing the same Super Bowl XL Champs t-shirt I wore last week for the victory and took a nice big dump this morning. It's karma, we will win.
Championship![emoji38]

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Edman
01-09-2016, 02:56 PM

If Toussant and Todman are any good at pass receiving or picking up the blitz, the Steelers will be okay.

Le'Veon Bell was basically our offense in 2014.

ETL
01-09-2016, 03:05 PM
If the Steelers lose - then Ben should share in the blame. Why? Because he's the fucken quarterback!!!!

OMG! If you want the responsibility of being the person that handles the ball 100% on every offensive play - then you are in a position to make a difference!!! If you don't make a difference then you failed.

Do you hear people making excuses for Brady because he doesn't have his main receivers or his running backs? I bet he knows if he loses - he contributed to the loss. And I bet Ben loves being in the position that he is in today.

Ben has enough weapons to make a difference whether DeAngelo is active or not. And if Ben had the mentality of blaming potential losses on the lack of a star RB - then Ben is a side kick - only good when there is another star on the field.

If Ben plays well - Steelers win - no matter who is playing RB. Why? because Ben is a star QB in the league. One of the best. But if he doesn't play well - then Steelers lose. Why? Because the margin of error is much less in the playoffs. The other teams are really good as well.

Do do not confuse me being upset with Ben if a loss were to occur with me wanting to have a different QB. Allow me to be upset if he plays bad. Ben can elevate his status as an elite QB or he can go down as a "good" QB. It's up to him and I bet he likes it that way.

here's the deal: if Ben throws 2 INT or more - we lose today. If not - on to Denver.

86WARD
01-09-2016, 03:16 PM
If Ben throws for 500 yards and 5 TDs and Tomlin makes some remarkable calls but the defense is the usual sieve that it is...lol...Ben takes ZERO blame and Tomlin takes whatever blame is on him. You can't say whose gonna take the blame when they lose if the game hasn't been played yet...lol. Ridiculous thread.

zoneblitzerII
01-09-2016, 03:34 PM
More than anything, I really just want another week's reprieve from certain people who only show up after losses to proclaim how "unclutch" and "non-elite" Ben is. Not naming any names, though. :coffee:

I'm just hoping for people who actually watch the games over the years who are honest with themselves and are able to assess performances and acknowledge certain post-season and critical situation trends.

zulater
01-09-2016, 03:45 PM
If Ben throws for 500 yards and 5 TDs and Tomlin makes some remarkable calls but the defense is the usual sieve that it is...lol...Ben takes ZERO blame and Tomlin takes whatever blame is on him. You can't say whose gonna take the blame when they lose if the game hasn't been played yet...lol. Ridiculous thread.

If it's so ridiculous why has it gotten so many responses today? :coffee:

It's simple. It's a team game. If the other team has better players at like 16 of 22 positions then I'm simply stating I don't think it's right to dump the blame all on one player even if he is the highest paid player on the field. Outside of Ben, AB, DeCastro, Earl, and Gilbert on offense, and Cam and Tuitt on defense I just think this roster is filled with marginal guys. And unless everyone really elevates the level of their play you probably are looking at a loss.

So I'm putting the cart before the horse and preparing myself for the likely outcome. If they win I'm pleasantly surprised, if they lose then oh well, I had that.

Here's another thing. The game opened in Vegas as a 3 point game, then it dropped to 2 1/2. This morning Vegas dropped it to a 1 1/2 point game, and with all the late "smart money" coming down hard on the Bengals it could go to post as a pick-em. The small timers made the Steelers favorite, but the sharps are hammering hard on the Bengals the closer it gets to kickoff. That concerns me. That tells me the Steelers are probably going to need a few breaks to pull this one off.

As I said before if DeAngelo plays this game and is relatively healthy I would have slightly favored the Steelers. But he's not. Our offense has come back to earth the last couple games. Taking away our one threat to pose a legitimate ground game is going to make us too predictable to sustain much success off a good defense. The Bengals D is a lot healthier for this game than they were for our last meeting. I just think this injury spins things too much out of our reach.

It's an opinion. I think I'm allowed to have one correct? :noidea: A message board is the correct place to convey said opinion. No? And obviously I hope I'm wrong and will gladly eat crow if and when proven so.

86WARD
01-09-2016, 03:48 PM
To blame Ben and Tomlin. It's ridiculous without seeing the game. I don't think the Steelers will win either. I think it's going to be very much like the one and done against the Ravens, but I'm not going to put the blame on Ben and Tomlin...without seeing the game play out...lol. That's ridiculous and you'd be one of the first to say that if TeeTee or someone else posted it. :coffee:

And yes...a message board is the perfect place to post an opinion and mine is it's ridiculous to place blame without seeing the game.

zulater
01-09-2016, 03:56 PM
I'm just hoping for people who actually watch the games over the years who are honest with themselves and are able to assess performances and acknowledge certain post-season and critical situation trends.

Here's a trend I've noticed over the years. No matter how good a qb is he can't do it by himself. The surrounding cast has to be more than along for the ride. That's why Marino never won a SB. Why Favre only won one. Why Brees and Peyton Manning only won one. Why Bradshaw didn't win one from 80-82 despite playing the best football of his career in those years. I could go on. But the point is a playoff run can balance on the head of a pin. If Indy's liquored up kicker isn't wide right Cowher either coaches a few more years or leaves the game never having won a SB.

It's just crazy when every loss gets blamed on the qb and or coach. There's just so many moving parts out there.

- - - Updated - - -

To blame Ben and Tomlin. It's ridiculous without seeing the game. I don't think the Steelers will win either. I think it's going to be very much like the one and done against the Ravens, but I'm not going to put the blame on Ben and Tomlin...without seeing the game play out...lol. That's ridiculous and you'd be one of the first to say that if TeeTee or someone else posted it. :coffee:

And yes...a message board is the perfect place to post an opinion and mine is it's ridiculous to place blame without seeing the game.

I'm not placing blame before the fact. I just predicted where ultimately it will fall if we don't win today.

86WARD
01-09-2016, 04:00 PM
I think the Steelers are going to lose today. And the two people that will take the brunt of the heat from the fans and media will be Ben Roethlisberger and to a much lesser degree ( with the media) Mike Tomlin.

The way I interpret this is that the blame will be placed on Ben and Tomlin.

You did say feel free to pile on...btw. :coffee:

cubanstogie
01-09-2016, 04:01 PM
The last game 27 days ago Cincy was favored by 3. So another way to look at is they are more confident in Steelers now then a month ago. If Cincy wins first playoff game in 25 years with a back up QB then you have to give them props. I think losing Dalton bigger than losing D Will though. Not trying to be a dick but you should have a couple of drinks and enjoy it. Now I stress and throw fits during game but letting the changing spread bother you is over the top.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 04:08 PM

And I wish some people would live up to their word...

I literally can't watch this team anymore. I have things to do and get on with my life. Ben IS NOT an elite QB. He throws far too many INTs. Elite QBs don't have the TD to INT ratio that he does.

It's not "objectivity" when one only comes out of the woodwork to bitch when things are not going well only to go mute after a win. It's weak sauce.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Do you hear people making excuses for Brady because he doesn't have his main receivers or his running backs?

Yes. All the time. (Bu-bu-but Gronk wuz out!!!) It also explains why guys like Rodgers and Manning can play like warmed-over dogshit for the better part of a season (longer in Manning's case) and have every excuse in the book made for them as to why it's happening. Roethlisberger does NOT get that luxury. Ever. Nope, in Roethlisberger's case, it's always simply because he isn't elite/clutch or he's a 2nd-tier QB.

And the reason that happens is because the sports media doesn't ride his nuts 24/7/365 like the other ones I mentioned.

ALLD
01-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Instead of tea leaves I read the corn in my doodie. Steelers win 35-24.

steelreserve
01-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Seems like everyone got their pre-game dumps out of the way. Things are going our way. Steelers in a blowout, 35-3.

86WARD
01-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Seems like everyone got their pre-game dumps out of the way. Things are going our way. Steelers in a blowout, 35-3.

This guy usually speaks the troof!!!

zulater
01-09-2016, 04:48 PM
The way I interpret this is that the blame will be placed on Ben and Tomlin.

You did say feel free to pile on...btw. :coffee:

Fair enough. But what I'm saying is it will be placed there. I'm not saying it will be warranted.

Here's a question for the board. What was the best team Ben played on? In order I would go 04, 05, 08, and 10. I think 04 was a very good bordering on great team. They got beat by possibly the best Patriot team ever. ( and they cheated) And Ben was a rookie, not nearly as good as he is today. Put that team around Ben today and they torch through the AFC playoffs like Sherman torched through Atlanta. I think 05 was just a little short of 04 ( they didn't really replace Plaxico) 08 had a great defense but a crappy offense. Really the overall offensive talent on that team was a joke. But the defense was so good they brought them up to a respectable level. 10 still had a strong defense, and a better offense, but the o-line and defensive backfield were both suspect. Other than that I think Ben's played on good but nothing close to a complete team since. As I said before this team is one smart off-season from truly being a strong all around team that would deserve to be mentioned with previously exceptional Steeler teams. But we're not there yet.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy usually speaks the troof!!!

God I hope so! :pray:

Psycho Ward 86
01-09-2016, 04:49 PM
sounds like you already have every excuse in the book lined up. i hope Ben doesnt have the same attitude, because this is his playoff run (if it becomes one) is his chance to give the world a finger and say he doesnt need a defense or running back to win play off games.

i dont anticipate his play to change much in comparison to the rest of the season. especially not in the rain. i anticipate 2 more picks from him, but i think he'll still be the reason we win. Ben is 16-4 in the snow/rain. The bengals have just been awful in late regular season/post season, primetime, etc. I think Ben is tired of being slighted.

He's well overdue coming out of one of these type of games with all the chips down and people with the cliche "look at Ben not winning games without a run game or defense" bull shit.

25-23 Steelers. I think the game will be as close on film as it is on paper

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Here's a question for the board. What was the best team Ben played on?

Probably '08, and even that team had the worst OL of a Super Bowl-winning team in history, hands down.

polamalubeast
01-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Probably '08, and even that team had the worst OL of a Super Bowl-winning team in history, hands down.

2004 and 2005 were better.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 04:53 PM
2004 and 2005 were better.

Pedestrian offense, thanks to Cowherball.

86WARD
01-09-2016, 04:54 PM
I'd also go with 2004-05 as the best teams...2008 I would agree as well...not sure about 2010 though. I think this current team could give that team a run for the money.

polamalubeast
01-09-2016, 04:55 PM

The steelers was in the top 10 in PPG in 2004 and 2005....The steelers were 27-4 with Ben as QB including the playoffs.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 04:57 PM
I guess I'm the only one who found Plexispike overrated and Holmes a superior WR to him?

Shoes
01-09-2016, 05:00 PM

That's what Im talking about, I'd share a foxhole any day with you bro!

Moose

God I like your thinking ! I sure hope you are right. It would be soooooo nice to sit in my recliner with a drink and relax while watching the game.

polamalubeast
I guess I'm the only one who found Plexispike overrated and Holmes a superior WR to him?

The o-line and the running game was much better in 2004 and 2005 and this is not even close.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 05:03 PM
The o-line and the running game was much better in 2004 and 2005 and this is not even close.

Same primary RB, though. Parker was named the starter in '04 and was still there in '08. And the defense was better in '08. I think those teams overall were closer than you seem to.

polamalubeast
01-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Same primary RB, though. Parker was named the starter in '04 and was still there in '08. And the defense was better in '08. I think those teams overall were closer than you seem to.

Parker was very good in 2005.....In 2008,Parker was horrible.

zulater
01-09-2016, 05:05 PM

I thought the 04, 05 offense were pretty effective personally. Ben was still a pup back then. Put today's Ben behind those lines especially the 04 team with Plaxico and Hines and watch the show!

You know I'm good with Tomlin. And I'm not claiming Cowher was better than him. (nor will I say he was worse) I just don;t think Tomlin has produced anything resembling a complete team yet. When the defense was special the offense was below par. Now that the offense is elite ( if it could ever be healthy at the right time :frusty: ) the defense has fallen off. I truly believe that a really exceptional offseason would produce the best Steeler team of Ben's career next year. I'm just hoping they venture into the free agent market and add the right pieces to the defense, and the offense can get a little luckier with health next year.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 05:09 PM
Parker was very good in 2005.....In 2008,Parker was horrible.

The '08 team had a better record against a tougher schedule. And if Turnover Tommy would have been forced to start one more game, the '05 team wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

polamalubeast
01-09-2016, 05:12 PM
The '08 team had a better record against a tougher schedule. And if Turnover Tommy would have been forced to start one more game, the '05 team wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

If Ben had not missed a game in 2005, the Steelers would probably have finished with a 13-3 record ....

For the schedule, in the playoffs the Steelers beat the 14-2 Colts and the 13-3 Broncos on the road!

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 05:15 PM
If Ben had not missed a game in 2005, the Steelers would probably have finished with a 13-3 record ....

For the schedule, in the playoffs the Steelers beat the 14-2 Colts and the 13-3 Broncos on the road!

And then played so poorly in the SB that everyone who isn't a Steelers fan still thinks the game was gifted to them by the refs as a retirement present for Bettis.

Frankly, I blame Cowher for that. Ben was scared of his own shadow in that game. Night and day difference between that Ben and the one who showed up in Indy and Denver. Think O'Donnell gift-wrapping SB XXX for the Cowboys didn't have something to do with that?

zulater
01-09-2016, 05:16 PM

Correctomundo!

polamalubeast
01-09-2016, 05:19 PM
And then played so poorly in the SB that everyone who isn't a Steelers fan still thinks the game was gifted to them by the refs as a retirement present for Bettis.

Frankly, I blame Cowher for that. Ben was scared of his own shadow in that game. Night and day difference between that Ben and the one who showed up in Indy and Denver.

In 2008, they also almost lost against the cardinals.

In 2008, the Steelers have won several close game.In 2005, when they won, they were dominant for most of the time

zulater
01-09-2016, 05:23 PM

Frankly, I blame Cowher for that. Ben was scared of his own shadow in that game. Night and day difference between that Ben and the one who showed up in Indy and Denver.

Those people are foolish. That was a very good Seahawk team. And if Ben gets a little more air under one pass the Steelers win in a blowout ( as opposed to an 11 point win :lol: )

People also claim the Steelers were lucky to beat a 9-7 Cardinal team.

Personally I think Cowher was a very good coach. I also think Tomlin is a very good coach who has it in him to eclipse Cowher in a few years if the front office does their job and we get some luck.

I've never been a fan of propping one up to diminish the other. Neither is perfect. But I think both are very good.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 05:30 PM
That was a very good Seahawk team. And if Ben gets a little more air under one pass the Steelers win in a blowout ( as opposed to an 11 point win :lol: )

It was a shitty game all around by both teams, so the "officiating controversy" narrative stuck (thank you, John Madden). Maybe I'd feel differently if we blew them out. All I could think of after that game was "I waited 26 years for THIS?!?" :noidea:

polamalubeast
01-09-2016, 05:40 PM
A Super Bowl is a super bowl.I do not care that it was ugly, since a super bowl is so hard to win.

Those who cry on this games have probably never seen their favorite team win a championship.

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 05:44 PM
A Super Bowl is a super bowl.I do not care that it was ugly, since a super bowl is so hard to win.

Those who cry on this games have probably never seen their favorite team win a championship.

The aftermath of all the bellyaching and whining after that game is when I turned ESPN off for good. Watching the talking heads on that network with their subtle and not-so-subtle insinuations of the Steelers being "gifted" that Super Bowl kinda pissed me off (to put it mildly).

zulater
01-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Well I blame Todd Haley. 3rd and 18 at your own 22. 15-0 lead. You're one handoff from punting from your own 25 or so with a quarter of football to play. But no. Todd gets greedy. Decides to go for the 1st down. Here you now Burfic is loaded for bear, but you feed him anyway. Just a mind numbingly dumb play call! :doh:

fansince'76
01-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Well I blame Todd Haley. 3rd and 18 at your own 22. 15-0 lead. You're one handoff from punting from your own 25 or so with a quarter of football to play. But no. Todd gets greedy. Decides to go for the 1st down. Here you now Burfic is loaded for bear, but you feed him anyway. Just a mind numbingly dumb play call! :doh:

Not to mention the chickenshit playcalling the entire 1st half.

Count Steeler
01-09-2016, 10:57 PM
We won. The reverse ju-ju worked. Thanks Zu.

GoSlash27
01-09-2016, 10:58 PM
Aaaand Yinz can shower me with praise and kudos :D

86WARD
01-09-2016, 11:01 PM
We won. The reverse ju-ju worked. Thanks Zu.

LOL. WHatever works!!

I feel sorry for Ben ans his shoulder and his buddy AB...

zulater
01-09-2016, 11:10 PM
LOL. WHatever works!!

I feel sorry for Ben ans his shoulder and his buddy AB...

I'm glad we ended the Bengals season. But if Haley doesn't make his hero third down call we not only win with less angst. We win and more than likely have a healthy qb and wr going into next week.

86WARD
01-10-2016, 12:03 AM
agree. terrible call.

BnG_Hevn
01-10-2016, 12:24 AM
I'm glad I don't come on here until after the game.

tube517
01-10-2016, 12:26 AM

teegre
01-10-2016, 12:28 AM
If Shazier is given the fumble return for a TD (which it was)...

...BB doesn't get sacked & injured.

"22-0" turned into "15-0 w/ an injured BB" on one play.

fansince'76
01-10-2016, 12:30 AM
If Shazier is given the fumble return for a TD (which it was)...

Great point. I completely forgot about the fumble return. Most definitely should have been a TD. We basically got 7 points taken off the board because the same crew that sucked hind tit in the Bengals game a few weeks ago had their heads up their asses again.

Edman
01-10-2016, 12:35 AM
The Ben injury turned the game on it's head.

Ben doesn't get hurt, this is an entirely different game.

Psycho Ward 86
01-10-2016, 01:43 AM
Great point. I completely forgot about the fumble return. Most definitely should have been a TD. We basically got 7 points taken off the board because the same crew that sucked hind tit in the Bengals game a few weeks ago had their heads up their asses again.

i really dont understand why refs dont let those types of plays play out. nothing bad could really come out of it really

ETL
01-10-2016, 02:54 AM
Steelers won and Ben should get a lot of credit for the win. I said if he throws less than 2 INTs - the Steelers should win. Well Jones threw one INT and Ben almost threw another but it was dropped by the Bengals LB Rey. If that INT was not dropped - it would have cost us a FG / 3 points. And we would have lost the game 16-15.lets

Ben did more than enough to help the Steelers be in position for a win. Thank you Ben for breaking the playoff drought. Heal up and see you in Denver.

86WARD
01-10-2016, 07:30 AM
So was Ben clutch there? That was a clutch situation that we spoke of. I don't know...I lean towards saying he wasn't...although he was injured, to a point which none of us know...but it didn't look too promising until the 30 yards of penalties were tacked on.

GoSlash27
01-10-2016, 12:30 PM
That's about as "clutch" as it gets. He stepped in and got it done, even though he was in pain, unable to throw for any kind of distance, and was operating in bad weather. I don't think Landry Jones would've been able to pull it off.

Mojouw
01-10-2016, 01:54 PM
So was Ben clutch there? That was a clutch situation that we spoke of. I don't know...I lean towards saying he wasn't...although he was injured, to a point which none of us know...but it didn't look too promising until the 30 yards of penalties were tacked on.

Really? Just across midfield (the 47 I think) with 22 seconds left? 15 more yards and it is a 50 yarder or so. Not an ideal situation for Boswell, but reasonable to expect even in the rain. Kid has a big leg. So that is two completions. Not a sure thing at all. But with that amount of time and what Ben had done already on the drive - it is/was possible. Maybe not probable, but possible.

I, for one, am certainly glad that we will never have to play that scenario out. But to view what Ben was able to do as "non clutch" than I shudder to think what the bar for "clutch" would be.