PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Roethlisberger thriving on the field, in the game of life

stillers4me
01-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Two weeks ago, it appeared the Steelers had no hope.
They had just lost to a bad Baltimore Ravens team and were relegated to relying on others to determine their postseason fate.

It was fortunate for the Steelers that they had the perfect guy to lead the way — Ben Roethlisberger. He had done it before, but for much higher stakes than a spot in the NFL's postseason.

The previous struggles were for his image, his legacy and his livelihood and — just like last week when the Steelers' playoff hopes were hanging in the balance — Roethlisberger got a lot of help to turn a once seemingly hopeless situation into a success story.

It has been five years since Roethlisberger endured off-the-field turmoil involving sexual-assault allegations in Nevada and Georgia. Some will refuse to forget, particularly in Cincinnati where Roethlisberger steps onto the field Saturday for an AFC wild-card game against the Bengals. In advance of the game, AM radio station 700-WLW issued a “Big Ben rape warning” spoof, alerting women in the city to Roethlisberger's presence.
Yet, as the 12-year veteran is set to start his 16th career playoff game after battling through an injury-plagued season, Roethlisberger, 33, is considered one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. But perhaps more important, he says he is a family man, a changed man. He is active in the community and his church.

“To see him grow as a person and a leader is rewarding in our eyes,” Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said.

“When the Georgia allegations came, he clearly said, ‘Enough is enough, and I don't want to be defined like that. My name attached to allegations like this is embarrassing for my family, friends, the Steelers,' ” said Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner.

Roethlisberger's plan: Say nothing and do everything...............

read more @ http://triblive.com/mobile/9745529-96/roethlisberger-steelers-lisberger