PDA

View Full Version : Bud Dupree .... (PFF) our list of the worst individual performers of Week 17.

katmandu
01-04-2016, 10:01 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/04/pro-worst-players-at-every-position-in-week-17/

Edge rushers: Bud Dupree, Steelers (-5.3) and Bobby Richardson, Saints (-5.2)

Dupree had just one quarterback hurry when rushing the passer, but most of his grade came from his run defense, where he graded out at -3.8. He made just two run stops on the day, and was frequently blocked out of plays and unable to get involved. Richardson was much of the same. He made one more run stop than Dupree, but also missed a tackle. He also failed to record even one single pressure when rushing the QB

I noticed on many plays where Dupree was unable to shed off blocks. He needs to learn to break free and get pressure on the QB....... ASAP !

Shoes
01-04-2016, 10:09 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/04/pro-worst-players-at-every-position-in-week-17/

I noticed on many plays where Dupree was unable to shed off blocks. He needs to learn to break free and get pressure on the QB....... ASAP !

Shazier is having the same problems but he has missed a good bit of playing time last year and earlier this season. Hopefully they get it together for the remaining games & next season. Dupree is at least getting a full year of playing time without injury.

ThorndikeFFA
01-04-2016, 10:09 PM
No. He gave up. There were several plays where he just gave up. I'm more than disappointed with this pick in last year's draft. I keep reading about him being the top player 'on our board'. Well, fix your damned board then! He's as dumb as a bag of hammers and gives up every other play. If that's the top player on your 'board' then your board was put together by idiots. Idiots named Tomlin and Colbert! We have needed a LT and DBs for a decade and we continue to get OLBs who are either retarded or undersized or both! Give...me...a...BREAK! Draft a mother farking CB! DO IT!

Shoes
01-04-2016, 10:16 PM
No. He gave up. There were several plays where he just gave up. I'm more than disappointed with this pick in last year's draft. I keep reading about him being the top player 'on our board'. Well, fix your damned board then! He's as dumb as a bag of hammers and gives up every other play. If that's the top player on your 'board' then your board was put together by idiots. Idiots named Tomlin and Colbert! We have needed a LT and DBs for a decade and we continue to get OLBs who are either retarded or undersized or both! Give...me...a...BREAK! Draft a mother farking CB! DO IT!

Well don't expect anything different in this draft. They also need pass rushers and a solid NT. My 1st pick would be a NT that can stuff the run and is capable of pass rushing, like Kenny Clark out of UCLA.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/Kenny%20Clark%202_zpsu80s5505.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/vestkap/media/Kenny%20Clark%202_zpsu80s5505.jpg.html)

Mojouw
01-04-2016, 10:50 PM
His legs are gone. Classic example of a rookie being asked to play more snaps than he ever has before and hitting the wall. Hopefully a full offseason in an NFL program can put Dupree in position to break out next year. Be great if it could happen this playoffs but that seems doubtful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelman
01-04-2016, 10:59 PM
His legs are gone. Classic example of a rookie being asked to play more snaps than he ever has before and hitting the wall. Hopefully a full offseason in an NFL program can put Dupree in position to break out next year. Be great if it could happen this playoffs but that seems doubtful.

I think this is the case too. Rookie wall if I ever saw one. Dupree's gonna be good, y'all will see in a season or two. I've only heard his work ethic is strong and that he learns quickly. His skill limitations were a product of the scheme in Kentucky, not lack of ability.

For the present, Moats has been playing better lately from what I've seen at least, so they need to balance their snaps. I'm just hoping Harrison can summon some sort of vintage playoff magic one last time.

Steel Peon
01-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Pffffffffffff....... is the sound someone's head makes when it's too full of hot air.

steelreserve
01-04-2016, 11:33 PM
I hope it's a rookie wall. The alternative is that after about 5 or 6 games' worth of film, other teams figured out how to deal with him easily and he needs to reinvent his game or end up like Jarvis Jones.

teegre
01-05-2016, 03:17 AM
In college, most teams play 11 games. A bowl game makes 12. Conference championships and playoffs can be 13, 14, & 15 (at most).

The bowl game, conference championship, and playoffs are against good teams. That's 4 quality opponents.

The rest of the schedule is maybe HALF good teams: Florida, Florida A&T, Cal (UC Berkeley), UC Davis, West Virginia University, West Virginia State, et cetera. That's maybe 6 quality opponents.

That is a maximum total of 10 quality opponents.

Even if all 15 opponents were quality (which they never are), each opponent (even a good opponent) averages only about 3 pro-level players. Even Alabama from a few years ago only had about 8 pro-level players (more were drafted, but not all of them actually made it in the NFL).

SUMMATION:
The odds of a college player going up against an pro-level player on any given play is low. Whereas, in the NFL, that same player goes up against pro-level competition on every single play... which wears rookies out.

BigBen2004
01-05-2016, 04:03 AM
He's a rookie. What did you expect, Deebo circa 2008?

Let the kid grow. 5 years from now, he'll be one of the best picks the Steelers ever made. Quote me on that.

MULLDOG24
01-05-2016, 04:16 AM
I like the Dupree pick the guy is athletic and yes it is his 1st 16 game season. One thing some folks might not know is that he got moved around on the Kentucky defense a lot and I think he even came in as a tight end to start with so his experience may be limited to a point but the kid has good work ethic and is coachable so I expect good things from this kid in the future.

Mojouw
01-05-2016, 11:04 AM
I hope it's a rookie wall. The alternative is that after about 5 or 6 games' worth of film, other teams figured out how to deal with him easily and he needs to reinvent his game or end up like Jarvis Jones.

That is certainly a part of it too. He is almost totally and exclusively living off of his first step off the line this season. This is taken not from me, but from multiple outside sites that breakdown the Steelers. Dupree has not developed a series of moves and counter moves - yet. Few rookie pass rushers come in to the league as complete products. As Porter has a track record of improving guys (both in college and with the Steelers) I think there is a good chance that Dupree is a monster next year.

I hate that phrase. I see so many guys on this roster that "next year" can be applied to. Need more of them to be "this year" and "right damn now". To be fair, Tuitt and Mitchell filled their "next year" promise on defense and Gilbert and Decastro did on offense.

hawaiiansteeler
01-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Dupree has not developed a series of moves and counter moves - yet. Few rookie pass rushers come in to the league as complete products. As Porter has a track record of improving guys (both in college and with the Steelers) I think there is a good chance that Dupree is a monster next year.

who in your opinion has improved under Porter - Worilds? Jarvis Jones?

tube517
01-05-2016, 06:58 PM
He's tied for 2nd (with a lot of other people at 4 sacks) behind Zadarius Smith (5.5 sacks) amongst rookie LBs sacks this year.....tied for 4th overall rookies.

http://www.draftseason.com/nfl-rookie-info/ds-nfl-rookie-stats/

TD's & Beer
01-05-2016, 06:59 PM
I had high hopes for Bud, alas, he's just another Tomlin OLB bust

teegre
01-05-2016, 07:12 PM
He's tied for 2nd (with a lot of other people at 4 sacks) behind Zadarius Smith (5.5 sacks) amongst rookie LBs sacks this year.....tied for 4th overall rookies.

Danielle Hunter was the guy that I wanted in R2. That said, Hunter is part of a rotation, where he plays on third downs; so, all he does is pass-rush.

Bud hit a wall. He'll be fine.

NOTE: Landon Collins had 108 tackles, leading all rookies. Tomlin tried to trade up for him, but couldn't pull off the deal. Now we know why. Collins would have made this secondary a lot better.

- - - Updated - - -

:huh:

hawaiiansteeler
01-05-2016, 07:29 PM

Za'Darius Smith was selected by the Ravens one pick after we took Doran Grant in the 4th round...

Born2Steel
01-05-2016, 07:34 PM
We needed a pass rusher. My 1st round pick of the litter was Bud Dupree. Glad we got him.

st33lersguy
01-05-2016, 07:43 PM
He started off promising, but tailed off. Kid needs to step up his game. Not giving up on him after one year (it would be silly to do so) but he has some work to do. To be fair, I think him struggling was to be expected because of how raw he was coming out. Coming out he was an athlete whose technique needed work

hawaiiansteeler
01-05-2016, 11:29 PM
Danielle Hunter was the guy that I wanted in R2. That said, Hunter is part of a rotation, where he plays on third downs; so, all he does is pass-rush.

isn't Hunter playing as a rush end in a 4-3?

Mojouw
01-05-2016, 11:37 PM
who in your opinion has improved under Porter - Worilds? Jarvis Jones?

Jones has gotten markedly better in every facet except pass rushing. Since he never had any NFL pass rush traits that isn't an indictment of Porter. Moats has made a successful transition to 3-4 OLB from a different linebacker position and scheme, not easy. Timmons wasn't able to do it. I'm guessing Porter had something to do with Chickfilet making the transition.

teegre
01-06-2016, 06:38 AM
isn't Hunter playing as a rush end in a 4-3?

You know, Minnesota's defense is sort of like Pittsburgh's. I see a lot of sets with two DEs/DTs and then two DEs/OLBs. On third downs specifically, Linval Joseph comes off of the field, Everson Griffen slides inside, and Danielle Hunter rushes the passer.

Hunter is likely being used as a DE, but he would have made a great OLB.

That said, I think that Dupree will be great; he just hit the proverbial rookie wall.

Rotorhead
01-06-2016, 12:18 PM
Wow, people are calling Dupree a bust already, that is classic! The fact that his first step is top level NFL caliber is enough to be happy with him. That is something you can not teach. Hand fighting, spins, etc all can be (and will be) taught. I think Bud will be a top level rusher in year 3 with a big improvement next year. Moats is doing well also so I am not concerned about that side. We need a bookend rusher for him though. I don't think JH or JW would have been as good as they were together without the other, we need a compliment to Bud IMO.

tube517
01-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Wow, people are calling Dupree a bust already, that is classic! The fact that his first step is top level NFL caliber is enough to be happy with him. That is something you can not teach. Hand fighting, spins, etc all can be (and will be) taught. I think Bud will be a top level rusher in year 3 with a big improvement next year. Moats is doing well also so I am not concerned about that side. We need a bookend rusher for him though. I don't think JH or JW would have been as good as they were together without the other, we need a compliment to Bud IMO.

One doofball called him worthless in preseason but that hippo fart has already left this forum.

katmandu
01-06-2016, 03:31 PM
One doofball called him worthless in preseason but that hippo fart has already left this forum.Exactly. One person. Not people (plural).

hawaiiansteeler
01-06-2016, 03:45 PM

wouldn't this draft have been nice?

trade up with 49ers - our 1st 1(22) and 3(87) round choices for their 1(17):

1(17) Marcus Peters CB
2(56) Tyler Lockett WR/PR/KR
3(87) traded
4(121) Za'Darius Smith OLB

Mojouw
01-06-2016, 03:54 PM
wouldn't this draft have been nice?

trade up with 49ers - our 1st 1(22) and 3(87) round choices for their 1(17):

1(17) Marcus Peters CB
2(56) Tyler Lockett WR/PR/KR
3(87) traded
4(121) Za'Darius Smith OLB

I would love to have Lockett and Peters, but that all hinges on whether or not Dupree out produces Smith moving forward or not. If Dupree develops into a monster and Smith plateaus - then it might be a push.

Rotorhead
01-06-2016, 04:49 PM

Unless I missed the sarcasm . . . which is quite possible

smokin3000gt
01-06-2016, 09:20 PM
Unless I missed the sarcasm . . . which is quite possible

It's hard to tell around here sometimes :chuckle: