PDA

View Full Version : Steelers need 'Good' Ben

zoneblitzerII
01-04-2016, 09:20 PM
I can't get this Marvin Lewis “exorcism” quote out of my mind.
Lewis, the Cincinnati Bengals coach-who's-never-won-a-playoff-game, said it's time to slay the demons against the Steelers.
“It's time to right the ship,” Lewis told reporters Sunday. “You know, exorcism.”
I keep picturing Lewis, if the Bengals win, going to midfield with his head turned all the way round and shaking Mike Tomlin's hand.
But that's my problem. It's one way to analyze this game, too — from the psychological perspective (suffice to say, the Steelers are so far in the Bengals' heads it would take the Jaws of Life to pry them loose).
You could break it down a thousand different ways. I keep coming back to the quarterback matchup: Ben Roethlisberger versus Katherine Webb-McCarron's husband AJ.
That is why the Steelers are favored.
That is why the Steelers should win.
But there's a nagging question here. A fair one, too: Which Ben will the Steelers get Saturday?
Over the past two seasons, we've often seen one of two extremes: Historically Spectacular Ben (six touchdown passes on consecutive weeks) or Reckless Ben (remember the Baltimore game nine days ago?).
Sometimes both emerge on the same day.
Remember the Cleveland game two days ago?
It seems Historically Spectacular Ben becomes too emboldened. Too convinced that he can and should attempt any throw at any time, usually with an eye downfield.
Last season, Roethlisberger staged possibly the greatest back-to-back passing days in NFL history, throwing for 12 touchdowns against the Colts and Ravens. He then inexplicably faltered against three of the league's weakest defenses (Jets, Titans, Saints).
This season, we saw him light up several teams, notably the stingy Denver Broncos. But we also saw him plummet to Matt Schaub levels in two monumental divisional losses (home against Cincinnati, at Baltimore), throwing five interceptions and leading the offense to just 27 total points.
Roethlisberger's overall numbers reflect the mercurial nature of his performance. He was No. 1 in the league in passing yards per game and fourth in completion percentage. On the other hand, of quarterbacks who started at least 10 games, he had by far the worst interception percentage (3.41). Nobody else who started 10 games was above 3.0.
After Sunday's game, Roethlisberger said the Steelers “need to be perfect” in the playoffs.
They really don't. Not this weekend. And he doesn't have to shoot for Historically Spectacular, even if he gets nothing from the ground game. He merely needs to be Good Ben, the Ben we saw in the win at Cincinnati.
On that day, Good Ben didn't throw for 300 yards or any touchdowns. He merely controlled the game, completing 30 of 39 passes for 282 yards and only one mistake — a deep shot into double coverage with the Steelers in control late.
“Good” Ben mostly took what was given, used the middle of the field (10 catches for Heath Miller), accepted a sack when appropriate and settled for field goals when prudent.
Here's the deal with the Bengals: They typically rush four and drop seven into coverage. The idea is to tempt Reckless Ben into taking chances, and the Bengals have experienced some success there. They have intercepted Roethlisberger 10 times in their past eight meetings (he is 5-3 in those games, with 10 TD passes).
Free safety Reggie Nelson alone has picked off five Roethlisberger throws, three of them factoring majorly into Bengals victories.
On the other side, while AJ McCarron isn't liable to win the game single-handedly, he likely will be under strict orders not to lose it. He had zero interceptions in his three starts after a rough relief outing against the Steelers, who are 0-5 when they lose the turnover differential.
Roethlisberger, great as he is, has seen his big-game reputation fade some. In his past five playoff games, he has six touchdowns and seven interceptions. That doesn't include a de facto playoff game against the Bengals in 2012, when Reckless Ben completed only half his passes and was picked off twice — once by Nelson on an insane throw that set up the Bengals' winning field goal.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarkey/9737407-74/ben-game-steelers#axzz3wKsrhVSC

Steelman
01-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Sorry I refuse to subscribe to the Good Ben-Bad Ben label that people are trying to affix to him. The Good/Bad label is for chumps like Jay Cutler and Andy Dalton. Ben is Ben. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But you damn well better believe I want Ben on that field to give us our best chance to win.

Edman
01-04-2016, 10:17 PM
Sorry I refuse to subscribe to the Good Ben-Bad Ben label that people are trying to affix to him. The Good/Bad label is for chumps like Jay Cutler and Andy Dalton. Ben is Ben. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But you damn well better believe I want Ben on that field to give us our best chance to win.

Andy Dalton and Jay Cutler are not good at all.

There is Good Ben-Bad Ben. Of course, we all hope Bad Ben is shaken out of the system for this game. Dude has been on a hard streak on the road, it's time for it to be snapped.

86WARD
01-05-2016, 05:19 AM
I'd take "Bad Ben" over 3/4 of the league...

fansince'76
01-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Wasn't this piece written by the same clown who said the Steelers (and Roethlisberger in particular) were too "arrogant" to win anything last week? Not to mention being delusional enough to also declare at the same time that the rebuilding job on this defense is complete?

Last season, Roethlisberger staged possibly the greatest back-to-back passing days in NFL history, throwing for 12 touchdowns against the Colts and Ravens. He then inexplicably faltered against three of the league's weakest defenses (Jets, Titans, Saints).

This season, we saw him light up several teams, notably the stingy Denver Broncos. But we also saw him plummet to Matt Schaub levels in two monumental divisional losses (home against Cincinnati, at Baltimore), throwing five interceptions and leading the offense to just 27 total points.

Roethlisberger's overall numbers reflect the mercurial nature of his performance. He was No. 1 in the league in passing yards per game and fourth in completion percentage. On the other hand, of quarterbacks who started at least 10 games, he had by far the worst interception percentage (3.41). Nobody else who started 10 games was above 3.0.

Yeah, and let's conveniently overlook his 2014 TD:INT ratio of 32:9 while we're at it. Cherry pick to make a point much? :coffee:

zulater
01-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Wasn't this piece written by the same clown who said the Steelers (and Roethlisberger in particular) were too "arrogant" to win anything last week? Not to mention being delusional enough to also declare at the same time that the rebuilding job on this defense is complete?

Yeah, and let's conveniently overlook his 2014 TD:INT ratio of 32:9 while we're at it. Cherry pick to make a point much? :coffee:

Ben's slumped a little bit the last few weeks. But overall I think his td to int ratio doesn't really tell you much of anything. Here's a good example, comparing the offensive stats from 14 to 15 here's some relevant stats. (14, will be listed before 15 in all stats)

Points for 436-423 yards 6577-6327 Yards per play 6.2 -6.2 Td's 43-42 Pass td's 33-26 rush td's 10-16.

Without even factoring in the 4 games Ben missed (where the average offensive production dipped considerably) where exactly is your beef? Exactly one touchdown less this year as opposed to last. This in a season where LeVeon Bell and Big Ben played a total of what was it? Like 50 plays from scrimmage together for the season. And here we have people complaining about Ben not being productive enough based strictly on touchdown passes, when clearly touchdowns as a whole stayed consistent.

Granted the interceptions have gotten to be problematic the last several games. But those things tend to level out. I don't think 9 total interceptions last year was reflective of the way Ben plays, and similarly I don't think the 16 interceptions from this year are either. In a normal 16 game season you should expect about 28 td passes and about 13 int's. His career td to int ratio is just under 2-1. This year was just a bit of an aberration.

ALLD
01-05-2016, 09:10 AM
Stop trying to force it to AB 60% of the time and Good Ben will return. Other teams are covering AB not to stop the WR, but to stop BB.

TD's & Beer
01-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Of course we need Ben and his WR's to be at their best. We need to put up points, and lots of them.

We know this pathetic defense and the putrid secondary won't win any games for us. It's a miracle to me anytime they get off the field without points being scored against them

lotas
01-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Stop trying to force it to AB 60% of the time and Good Ben will return. Other teams are covering AB not to stop the WR, but to stop BB.Do you think the reason these last couple weeks Ben has been trying to force it to AB is to help give AB a shot at beating the receiving yards record and making history? I do, look at the Seattle game, AB was shutdown and Ben took full advantage of his other guys, and he has done that more than once this year, passing on AB for the better option. But that radar has been completely zoned in on AB first and foremost the last few weeks, and instead of looking to his better option, he is staring down AB and forcing it.

Ben is one of the best at pump fakes and we know he can look off a safety, but it seems (in these last few games at least) those fundamentals are lacking, in favor of a more gun-slinging, whatever happens, happens mentality. That sharp precision that we saw in the mid-late season (Seattle) hasn't been there these past few weeks.

zulater
01-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Do you think the reason these last couple weeks Ben has been trying to force it to AB is to help give AB a shot at beating the receiving yards record and making history? I do, look at the Seattle game, AB was shutdown and Ben took full advantage of his other guys, and he has done that more than once this year, passing on AB for the better option. But that radar has been completely zoned in on AB first and foremost the last few weeks, and instead of looking to his better option, he is staring down AB and forcing it.

Ben is one of the best at pump fakes and we know he can look off a safety, but it seems (in these last few games at least) those fundamentals are lacking, in favor of a more gun-slinging, whatever happens, happens mentality. That sharp precision that we saw in the mid-late season (Seattle) hasn't been there these past few weeks.

You know that's occurred to me as well. I love AB, and no one works harder, but he can be a bit of a squeaky wheel at times. We saw it when he voiced displeasure with Vick not getting him the ball. We saw it when we saw him lecturing Landry Jones early in the Chiefs game to get more targets. So did he get in Ben's head a little and lobby for as many targets as he could get? Very possible imo. I don't think Ben gave proper respect to the Ravens. In retrospect I don't think he thought they could stop him and AB. And we almost lost our season as a result. But the recent spate of interceptions should have served to humble him some. Hopefully a reminiscing of the last Bengal game where he was highly efficient will get him back on target, or more importantly get him focused where the coverage is and who is open as opposed to forcing too much to AB.

lipps83
01-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Do you think the reason these last couple weeks Ben has been trying to force it to AB is to help give AB a shot at beating the receiving yards record and making history? I do, look at the Seattle game, AB was shutdown and Ben took full advantage of his other guys, and he has done that more than once this year, passing on AB for the better option. But that radar has been completely zoned in on AB first and foremost the last few weeks, and instead of looking to his better option, he is staring down AB and forcing it.

Without a doubt. They were trying to put it out of Julius Jones' reach. When it wasn't working anymore and was at the point chasing it is costing them points they changed it up.

There are two sides to it as well. If the defense is going to give it to you, you take it. I don't blame them at all for doing it.

Next year, I predict AB will indeed be the first 150 catch, 2,000 yard receiver in NFL history, barring any Big Ben injuries.

Rotorhead
01-05-2016, 12:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing, hell I even said before the Ravens game it would be nice if AB could get both records despite the time without Ben. I am hoping that was the case in these last 2 games and we come out completely dismantle the Bengals!

Moose
01-05-2016, 12:41 PM
I have faith that with Ben's experience, especially play-offs, he know's what to do. He just needs to be reminded from the players/coaches occasionally. Quit trying to force the ball to Brown when he's not open ( interceptions), throw the ball away at times rather than getting sacked ( unless he can run and pick up yards) and call his own play if he recognizes the defense play. Ben will definitely be the best QB on the field Saturday. We get pressure on the bunghole QB, don't turnover ball, and take Green out of game and our chances are great for a win. Play OUR game, Steeler football !

fansince'76
01-05-2016, 01:38 PM
I have faith that with Ben's experience, especially play-offs, he know's what to do.

Agreed. It's "win or go home" time now and I'm fairly certain Ben fully understands that.

Psycho Ward 86
01-05-2016, 02:52 PM

come to think of it, Ben has barely been pump faking it all season it seems like. Thats where a lot of his big plays come from

steel striker
01-05-2016, 04:00 PM
I expected Ben to have a great game on Saturday night because, it's now or next season. Take what the defense gives you.

TD's & Beer
01-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Ben says if you won't shit your pants to catch 3 passes then I don't want to hear your shit Martavis...suk it up boy

yea verily

NCSteeler
01-05-2016, 09:26 PM
I'm wondering if the Flu that swept thought he locker room mid week between Ravens/Browns hasn't had a bigger impact then we know.

86WARD
01-06-2016, 06:35 AM
I think it may have.

teegre
01-06-2016, 06:42 AM
I'm wondering if the Flu that swept thought he locker room mid week between Ravens/Browns hasn't had a bigger impact then we know.

That was my thought, specifically about BB.

zulater
01-06-2016, 08:57 AM
I had to work Sunday so I hadn't seen this past game yet. Anyway this morning I finally got around to start to watch it on NFL rewind. So here I am watching the early play, Ben is 100 spot on the first series, but AB drops one ball, but comes back and converts the 3rd down, then of course fumbles the drive away a few plays later. Not knocking AB, but obviously outside of his blunders that series was looking sharp. Then of course the Steelers drive 70 yards for a td on the next possession. Now here's where there's relevance to this thread. On the pass to AB that gave the Steelers first and goal, and then on the td pass to "Earl" the passes involved were the sort the Ben throws too many picks advocates would remove from the offense, or put it this way, on these plays they would sooner have Ben throw the ball away than put the ball at risk in such a tight window. So that possession probably ends up as a fg if we let the pussy ball advocates have their way.

"Oh but that's not we're saying at all." Bullshit. Those windows were tighter than a Nun's arse. The execution had to be perfect in order for those plays to succeed. And it was. Ben threw great passes and the receivers in both cases made great catches in high density traffic. If they don't either play could easily have resulted in an interception.

You can't have it both ways folks. You can't neuter the qb and then expect to have a historically prolific passing game. It's all about risk /reward. Other than the Ravens game and the late interception against the Broncos I would say that Ben's interceptions by and large have satisfied the risk / reward criteria. Even the late game one in the loss to the Bengals. The more I've seen that play the more apt I am to say that was just a tremendous play by the defensive player. That play works 98 out of 100 times. And hey sometimes Ben throws a bad pass. It happens, he's a human not a robot. It seems we've come to the point where we demand production, but wont tolerate the downside of any venture where the slightest risk is involved.

EzraTank
01-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Stop trying to force it to AB 60% of the time and Good Ben will return. Other teams are covering AB not to stop the WR, but to stop BB.

Exactly. Throw it to Wheaton and Bryant more. Oh and Bryant remove your head from that dark smelly place and start making some catches.

Psycho Ward 86
01-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Dre Kirkpatrick is by far the weak link on that group of otherwise strong cornerbacks. In man coverage i anticipate Pacman to get AB the most, and Leon Hall on Martavis. Wheaton could be due for his first big game since the seahawks

EzraTank
01-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Dre Kirkpatrick is by far the weak link on that group of otherwise strong cornerbacks. In man coverage i anticipate Pacman to get AB the most, and Leon Hall on Martavis. Wheaton could be due for his first big game since the seahawks

Let's just hope Ben is smart enough to see who's open regardless of their number and throw it to them.

ALLD
01-07-2016, 04:15 PM
AB is always open.

86WARD
01-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Have the majority of interceptions Ben has thrown this year come on passes going to AB?

Side note: In his career, Ben has thrown the most intercepted passes against the Bengals with a total of 24.

JKLTO
01-07-2016, 11:08 PM
I might be looking into this too deeply, but a part of me has been wondering if this has been a calculated risk - having Ben intentionally go for riskier throws in consecutive games, so as to project the offense as being more reckless than they plan on being in the post-season. This would, of course, be an exceptionally risky strategy, but...it might have been a gamble worth taking, as the Bengals are planning to face "Bad Ben" and a one-dimensional offense.

If this is so, I fully expect a radical departure in play-calling this Saturday, with a lot of short passes and hardly any deep passes on 3rd downs (although, there will of course be a number of deep shots...they just won't be during downs, or points of game where everyone will be expecting them). Even if the Bad Ben plays of recent weeks wasn't intended (perhaps they thought that playing riskier would actually pay off, while still deceiving a post-season Defense, but it just didn't pan out the way they expected), I would honestly not be surprised if a "completely different" Ben shows up for play. Mark my words: Good Ben will be there!

Psycho Ward 86
01-08-2016, 12:58 AM
I might be looking into this too deeply, but a part of me has been wondering if this has been a calculated risk - having Ben intentionally go for riskier throws in consecutive games, so as to project the offense as being more reckless than they plan on being in the post-season. This would, of course, be an exceptionally risky strategy, but...it might have been a gamble worth taking, as the Bengals are planning to face "Bad Ben" and a one-dimensional offense.

If this is so, I fully expect a radical departure in play-calling this Saturday, with a lot of short passes and hardly any deep passes on 3rd downs (although, there will of course be a number of deep shots...they just won't be during downs, or points of game where everyone will be expecting them).

based on what? the depth of our passing attack hasnt seemed consistent at all with what the defense is giving us. many of Ben's interceptions were on plays where other receivers were open. the broncos game however is perfectly indicative of quality adjustment football on both sides. i do hope we adjust as accordingly this saturday. the bengals play a lot of 2 deep safety and ben throws picks to the bengals more than anybody according to another board members post that i saw earlier so he ought to attack the intermediate ranges of the field

- - - Updated - - -

Have the majority of interceptions Ben has thrown this year come on passes going to AB?

Side note: In his career, Ben has thrown the most intercepted passes against the Bengals with a total of 24.

just took a peek at the game logs and here's who the targets have gone to (and how many) on the interceptions thrown by all of the steelers qb's this year:

Big Ben:
Antonio Brown: 7 (8 if you count an interception on a 2-point conversion attempt)
Markus Wheaton: 4
Martavis Bryant: 1
Heath Miller: 1
Darrius Heyward-Bey: 1
Deangelo Williams: 1
Will Johnson: 1

Landry Jones:
Alejandro Villanueva: 1 (on a fake punt)
Martavis Bryant: 1

Mike Vick:
Darrius Heyward-Bey: 1

doesnt look like much to be surprised about although I would have thought many more would have gone in Martavis' direction

86WARD
01-08-2016, 05:24 AM
So nothing out of the ordinary...so the "locking in" on AB talk is kind of bull shit. I'm surprised that only one has been on a target to Bryant.