PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown up, Antwon Blake down for Steelers in 2015

hawaiiansteeler
01-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Antonio Brown up, Antwon Blake down for Steelers in 2015

Jan 3, 2016
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

A look at the Pittsburgh Steelers who were "up" and those who were "down" in the 2015 season.

UP

Antonio Brown: He was the team's MVP for this ridiculous stat line -- 136 catches, 1,834 yards, 10 receiving touchdowns. It was one of the best single-season receiver performances of all time. And to think he put up these numbers without Ben Roethlisberger for four games.

DeAngelo Williams: He had one of the best seasons of his 10-year career. Williams led all Steelers playmakers with 11 offensive touchdowns and would have been well over 1,300 yards rushing had he been the starter all year. He was excellent in pass protection, too.

Ben Roethlisberger: The 16 interceptions are the only blemishes on his 2015 performance. Most of the time, Roethlisberger was brilliant. You could argue he's never been better.

Cam Heyward: His seven sacks weren't flashy, but he played better than that. At times, Heyward took over games defensively. His production tapered off late in the year.

Marcus Gilbert: It was a breakout year for Gilbert, who didn't give up a sack until Week 14.

William Gay/Mike Mitchell/Will Allen: Mike Tomlin stuck with his veterans in the defensive backfield, and though it wasn't always pretty, they were timely playmakers that steadied the waters for an otherwise young group.

DOWN

Antwon Blake: He wasn't as bad as fans made him out to be, but he struggled in coverage for parts of the year. He made it on the "down" list multiple times. Blake just didn't have the breakout year he was expecting. He's a good tackler but struggles in one-on-one settings.

Ryan Shazier: Health contributed to this. He had trouble staying on the field in the season's first 10 games. He flashed playmaking ability but never really established a rhythm.

Jarvis Jones: Five sacks in three years is a hard sell for a first-round pick. The Steelers like his versatility and his ability against the run, but pass rushing was supposed to be his specialty. Jones is part of a four-man outside linebacker rotation, and he was the only one of the four with fewer than four sacks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/194343/antonio-brown-up-antwon-blake-down-for-steelers-in-2015

Shoes
01-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Antonio Brown up, Antwon Blake down for Steelers in 2015

Jan 3, 2016
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

A look at the Pittsburgh Steelers who were "up" and those who were "down" in the 2015 season.

UP

Antonio Brown: He was the team's MVP for this ridiculous stat line -- 136 catches, 1,834 yards, 10 receiving touchdowns. It was one of the best single-season receiver performances of all time. And to think he put up these numbers without Ben Roethlisberger for four games.

DeAngelo Williams: He had one of the best seasons of his 10-year career. Williams led all Steelers playmakers with 11 offensive touchdowns and would have been well over 1,300 yards rushing had he been the starter all year. He was excellent in pass protection, too.

Ben Roethlisberger: The 16 interceptions are the only blemishes on his 2015 performance. Most of the time, Roethlisberger was brilliant. You could argue he's never been better.

Cam Heyward: His seven sacks weren't flashy, but he played better than that. At times, Heyward took over games defensively. His production tapered off late in the year.

Marcus Gilbert: It was a breakout year for Gilbert, who didn't give up a sack until Week 14.

William Gay/Mike Mitchell/Will Allen: Mike Tomlin stuck with his veterans in the defensive backfield, and though it wasn't always pretty, they were timely playmakers that steadied the waters for an otherwise young group.

DOWN

Antwon Blake: He wasn't as bad as fans made him out to be, but he struggled in coverage for parts of the year. He made it on the "down" list multiple times. Blake just didn't have the breakout year he was expecting. He's a good tackler but struggles in one-on-one settings.

Ryan Shazier: Health contributed to this. He had trouble staying on the field in the season's first 10 games. He flashed playmaking ability but never really established a rhythm.

Jarvis Jones: Five sacks in three years is a hard sell for a first-round pick. The Steelers like his versatility and his ability against the run, but pass rushing was supposed to be his specialty. Jones is part of a four-man outside linebacker rotation, and he was the only one of the four with fewer than four sacks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/194343/antonio-brown-up-antwon-blake-down-for-steelers-in-2015

"He's a good tackler but struggles in one-on-one settings"

If that isn't an absurdity and contradiction I don't know what is.

st33lersguy
01-04-2016, 07:50 PM
It would be hard for AB to be up from his season in 2014. Somehow he did it

vindrow
01-04-2016, 08:08 PM
The writer of the article forgot about Stephon Tuitt and his 6.5 sacks.

hawaiiansteeler
01-04-2016, 08:15 PM
"He's a good tackler but struggles in one-on-one settings"

If that isn't an absurdity and contradiction I don't know what is.

Antwon Blake is a great tackler.

when you figure he allowed the man he was covering one-on-one to catch 2800 passes this season, Blake was able to tackle him all but 28 times which comes out to 99% of the time...:chuckle:

Steel Peon
01-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Antwon Blake: He wasn't as bad as fans made him out to be

I'll do the honors of quoting this section. :flap:

86WARD
01-05-2016, 05:21 AM
Blake made a good tackle here and there, but he's a terrible tackler...lol. Terrible.

Count Steeler
01-05-2016, 05:25 AM
He looks like he is favoring a shoulder or rib. Another reason he should see limited snaps.

fansince'76
01-05-2016, 05:35 AM
Blake made a good tackle here and there, but he's a terrible tackler...lol. Terrible.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IwxOQO8zZnA/VLPf4Em8DqI/AAAAAAAAlTI/9rYedFUiSg8/s1600/Turrible%2Bjust%2Bturrible.jpg

:chuckle:

zulater
01-05-2016, 10:08 AM
I would give Mike Tomlin a solid A for his coaching job on the season if it were not for his blind spot concerning Blake, and that it took Mike Vick being hurt to remove him from the field. We got lucky with Vick getting hurt in time to save the Cardinals game. But how do you credit a coach when essentially he got saved from his own stubborness by happenstance? And with Blake? I just don't get it? Why do they keep giving him significant snaps in the first half? Then only after he gets torched multiple times, putting the games outcome in serious distress is he replaced by the superior Cockrell! The only thing I can think is maybe he believes if other teams get a more prolonged look at Cockrell ( and Boykin as the nickel) maybe his game will suffer? But I've got to believe other teams have plenty of film on Cockrell by now, so I don't think they all of a sudden get out of sorts over Ross's inclusion into the game. It's just baffling. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they break down the films and see Blake getting beat and missing tackles and hear what they're saying. And how can't they see Cockrell (while flawed himself) is just the better player at this point? :frusty: I just don't get it! :doh: