PDA

View Full Version : Smizik: Ten Talking Points On the Steelers

HometownGal
09-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Ten talking points on 2010 Steelers
By Bob Smizik | Tuesday, 12:30 a.m.

What figures to be a tumultuous season gets underway in five days as the Ben Roethlisberger-less Steelers open the 2010 NFL season with a home game against the Atlanta Falcons.

It's an unusual situation for the Steelers, who long have been the dominant team in the AFN North Division. Although at least one expert -- Peter King of Sports Illustrated -- has predicted the Steelers will win the Super Bowl, most don't even expect them to make the playoffs.

Both the Baltimore Ravens and defending division champion Cincinnati Bengals are rated ahead of the Steelers by most.

To get the discussion going, here are 10 questions about this year's team. Feel free to answer as few or as many as you want and with as few or as many words as you want.

read more at http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx

cold-hard-steel
09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Thems some hard questions to answer without one game having been played.
answers
1)no
2)short
3)current
4)that all depends
5)can't tell yet,nothing to judge by
6)noone really knows yet,niether do i
7)again,nothing to go by,but i would say defense.
8)haven't seen any yet,have to wait to evaluate
9)the play in the first game alone will tell some of the story
10)11-5 We will probably lose the opener because Dixon is starting in a bigtime game. I don't think he will be able to handle the pressure.He didn't handle it his first start,and i can forsee something very similar happening in this game.If he can handle the pressure,and bring us away with a win,then i will begin taking steps toward being a believer.

SteelGhost
09-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Thems some hard questions to answer without one game having been played.
answers
1)no
2)short
3)current
4)that all depends
5)can't tell yet,nothing to judge by
6)noone really knows yet,niether do i
7)again,nothing to go by,but i would say defense.
8)haven't seen any yet,have to wait to evaluate
9)the play in the first game alone will tell some of the story
10)11-5 We will probably lose the opener because Dixon is starting in a bigtime game. I don't think he will be able to handle the pressure.He didn't handle it his first start,and i can forsee something very similar happening in this game.If he can handle the pressure,and bring us away with a win,then i will begin taking steps toward being a believer.

I think he looked good "pressure-wise" in that game against Baltimore for being his first NFL start AND behind our porous OL :thumbsup: I expect him to have a good game now that he has some more knowledge of the playbook under his belt.

cold-hard-steel
09-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I think he looked good "pressure-wise" in that game against Baltimore for being his first NFL start AND behind our porous OL :thumbsup: I expect him to have a good game now that he has some more knowledge of the playbook under his belt.

When the pressure was on he threw an interception, thats what i'm talkin about.When he least could afford to f it up,he did just that. Can't argue with facts!

Steeldude
09-07-2010, 10:27 AM
1. Do you agree with coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to start Dennis Dixon at quarterback against Atlanta? no

2. Considering Batch’s large edge in experience, how short of a leash should Dixon be on against the Falcons? tomlin will keep dixon in no matter how poorly he plays

3. If the Steelers are 1-0 or 1-1 when Byron Leftwich, who was expected to open the season as the starting quarterback, is healthy enough to play, should he start or should Tomlin stick with the current starter? bench dixon ASAP

4. How should the percentage of work be divided between starting running back Rashard Mendenhall and backup Isaac Redman: 80-20; 70-30; 60-40; 50-50? 50-50

5. Who will be the Steelers MVP in the first four games. reed

6. What percentage of the offense should be running plays for the first four games? What percentage should be running plays after Roethlisberger returns? as long as it's balanced. no more wide sweeps on 4th and 2

7. Which unit do you consider to be the strength of the Steelers: Offense or defense? (The Steelers were seventh in the NFL in total offense in 2009 and fifth in total defense.) defense, but it's beginning to age and diminish

8. What position -- quarterback, running back, offensive line, receivers, defensive line, linebackers, secondary -- is the team’s greatest weakness. O-line since 2002

9. Have the Steelers done enough to bolster the terrible special team’s play that ruined their 2009 season? remains to be seen. so many rookies.

10. What will the Steelers record be in 2010? either 10-6 or 7-9

BlastFurnace
09-07-2010, 10:30 AM
1. Do you agree with coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to start Dennis Dixon at quarterback against Atlanta? Or would you have gone with Charlie Batch? No, I don't agree with it. Dixon has shown absolutely nothing to show he is capable of starting. If they are afraid to play Batch because he might get injured...does he have the same concern for playing Aaron Smith or Troy Polamalu?

2. Considering Batch’s large edge in experience, how short of a leash should Dixon be on against the Falcons? - The same short leash that Jim Miller was put on in 1996.

3. If the Steelers are 1-0 or 1-1 when Byron Leftwich, who was expected to open the season as the starting quarterback, is healthy enough to play, should he start or should Tomlin stick with the current starter? Play Leftwich

4. How should the percentage of work be divided between starting running back Rashard Mendenhall and backup Isaac Redman: 80-20; 70-30; 60-40; 50-50? - 70-30. Mendenhall is our only proven RB. We cannot wear him down too early in the season. I do believe that Redman can spell him for 30% of the carries.

5. Who will be the Steelers MVP in the first four games. - The Defense

6. What percentage of the offense should be running plays for the first four games? What percentage should be running plays after Roethlisberger returns? - I think it should be 60/40 before and after.

7. Which unit do you consider to be the strength of the Steelers: Offense or defense? (The Steelers were seventh in the NFL in total offense in 2009 and fifth in total defense.) - With Ben, the offense. Without Ben, the defense.

8. What position -- quarterback, running back, offensive line, receivers, defensive line, linebackers, secondary -- is the team’s greatest weakness. Without Ben, QB is our greatest weakness. With Ben, the O'line is the greatest weakness.

9. Have the Steelers done enough to bolster the terrible special team’s play that ruined their 2009 season? Not sure yet, but so far it looks better. If I were the coach of a team, I would find someone who can kick it through the end zone like Dallas did. I'd also have my punter kick it out of bounds every single time. That way, there is never a return. Laugh if you will, but how many games would that strategy have made a difference in our season last year. One thing is for sure, I would never...ever...kick to Joshua Cribbs again.

10. What will the Steelers record be in 2010? - 9-7

tube517
09-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Question #4 is one of my biggest beefs w/Tomlin. He (and Arians) need to realize you need 2 RB's to share the load in this day and age. He basically ended Parker's career by treating a 209 lb speed back like he was a 255 lb bus. Dumb. I think the carries will be 70-30 in the beginning but they need Redman to increase the load and spell Mendenhall later in the year. MeMo is a 3rd and long/passing situation back ONLY. He is NOT a #2 back.

SteelerSal
09-07-2010, 11:20 AM
1. Do you agree with coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to start Dennis Dixon at quarterback against Atlanta? Or would you have gone with Charlie Batch? Dixon because he has had more reps in the preseason.

2. Considering Batch’s large edge in experience, how short of a leash should Dixon be on against the Falcons? crap 1st half...pull him and play batch in the second half

3. If the Steelers are 1-0 or 1-1 when Byron Leftwich, who was expected to open the season as the starting quarterback, is healthy enough to play, should he start or should Tomlin stick with the current starter? Stick with Dixon.

4. How should the percentage of work be divided between starting running back Rashard Mendenhall and backup Isaac Redman: 80-20; 70-30; 60-40; 50-50? 60/40

5. Who will be the Steelers MVP in the first four games. Mendy

6. What percentage of the offense should be running plays for the first four games? What percentage should be running plays after Roethlisberger returns? 60/40....60/40.

7. Which unit do you consider to be the strength of the Steelers: Offense or defense? (The Steelers were seventh in the NFL in total offense in 2009 and fifth in total defense.) Defense providing they are not stuck on the field because our offense is playing the 3 and out game.
8. What position -- quarterback, running back, offensive line, receivers, defensive line, linebackers, secondary -- is the team’s greatest weakness. O-line...weak starters and even weaker depth.

9. Have the Steelers done enough to bolster the terrible special team’s play that ruined their 2009 season? I believe they have with both a change in players and coach.

10. What will the Steelers record be in 2010? 12-4

atlsteelers
09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
1. Do you agree with coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to start Dennis Dixon at quarterback against Atlanta? Or would you have gone with Charlie Batch? Dixon with out a doubt.

2. Considering Batch’s large edge in experience, how short of a leash should Dixon be on against the Falcons? I would have
no problem atletnating the qbs if it is needed.

3. If the Steelers are 1-0 or 1-1 when Byron Leftwich, who was expected to open the season as the starting quarterback, is healthy enough to play, should he start or should Tomlin stick with the current starter? Dixon.

4. How should the percentage of work be divided between starting running back Rashard Mendenhall and backup Isaac Redman: 80-20; 70-30; 60-40; 50-50? 70/30 I want to see more of the pony backfield!

5. Who will be the Steelers MVP in the first four games. Defense

6. What percentage of the offense should be running plays for the first four games? What percentage should be running plays after Roethlisberger returns? 45/55. We do not have to run more just more effective.

7. Which unit do you consider to be the strength of the Steelers: Offense or defense? (The Steelers were seventh in the NFL in total offense in 2009 and fifth in total defense.) Defense but with a little help from the offense lets hold a 4th quarter lead this year.

8. What position -- quarterback, running back, offensive line, receivers, defensive line, linebackers, secondary -- is the team’s greatest weakness. O-line always scared me

9. Have the Steelers done enough to bolster the terrible special team’s play that ruined their 2009 season? lets pray.

10. What will the Steelers record be in 2010? 11-5

crcsnail
09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
1. Do you agree with coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to start Dennis Dixon at quarterback against Atlanta? yes

2. Considering Batch’s large edge in experience, how short of a leash should Dixon be on against the Falcons? let him play his game or we aint gonna know .

3. If the Steelers are 1-0 or 1-1 when Byron Leftwich, who was expected to open the season as the starting quarterback, is healthy enough to play, should he start or should Tomlin stick with the current starter? if dixon is playing well keep him in. we might not be losing because of dixon?

4. How should the percentage of work be divided between starting running back Rashard Mendenhall and backup Isaac Redman: 80-20; 70-30; 60-40; 50-50? 60-40

5. Who will be the Steelers MVP in the first four games. timmons

6. What percentage of the offense should be running plays for the first four games? What percentage should be running plays after Roethlisberger returns? if the run is working , which i think it will. then keep it slightly balanced towards the run .

7. Which unit do you consider to be the strength of the Steelers: Offense or defense? (The Steelers were seventh in the NFL in total offense in 2009 and fifth in total defense.) defense

8. What position -- quarterback, running back, offensive line, receivers, defensive line, linebackers, secondary -- is the team’s greatest weakness. O-line

9. Have the Steelers done enough to bolster the terrible special team’s play that ruined their 2009 season? hopefully :)

10. What will the Steelers record be in 2010? 10-6 wildcard

Borski
09-07-2010, 12:38 PM
1. Do you agree with coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to start Dennis Dixon at quarterback against Atlanta? Or would you have gone with Charlie Batch? Dixion by far, He has shown to me last year he is capable of starting if needed, yeah he made some mistakes in the Preseason against Denver but they have a very good D and its pre season, everyone makes mistakes. after they pulled Left last game he threw a TD immediately.

2. Considering Batch’s large edge in experience, how short of a leash should Dixon be on against the Falcons? No short leash, Batch has given me no reason to trust him to start a game in the past few years

3. If the Steelers are 1-0 or 1-1 when Byron Leftwich, who was expected to open the season as the starting quarterback, is healthy enough to play, should he start or should Tomlin stick with the current starter?

4. How should the percentage of work be divided between starting running back Rashard Mendenhall and backup Isaac Redman? 65-35

5. Who will be the Steelers MVP in the first four games. Wallace

6. What percentage of the offense should be running plays for the first four games? What percentage should be running plays after Roethlisberger returns? 55-45 favoring run

7. Which unit do you consider to be the strength of the Steelers: Offense or defense? Defense

8. What position is the team’s greatest weakness? O-Line

9. Have the Steelers done enough to bolster the terrible special team’s play that ruined their 2009 season? Not by much. but hopefully its enough

Butch
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
1. Do you agree with coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to start Dennis Dixon at quarterback against Atlanta? Or would you have gone with Charlie Batch? I got no problem with Dixon starting over Charlie.

2. Considering Batch’s large edge in experience, how short of a leash should Dixon be on against the Falcons? You made the decision now live by it. Unless he's just so pathetic that there is no hope then I see no reason to pull him. Charlie may have the experience but Dixon has the legs.

3. If the Steelers are 1-0 or 1-1 when Byron Leftwich, who was expected to open the season as the starting quarterback, is healthy enough to play, should he start or should Tomlin stick with the current starter? That depends on the situation. What if they reason we lost was not on Dixon? If we are 2-0, or 1-1 stay with Dixon again unless he is just that bad.

4. How should the percentage of work be divided between starting running back Rashard Mendenhall and backup Isaac Redman: 80-20; 70-30; 60-40; 50-50? Like what I saw in Redman last year and this so I'll go with 70-30 with the chance to make it 60-40 depending on how Go To Hell Godel feels, I mean how effective Redman and or Mendy are.

5. Who will be the Steelers MVP in the first four games. Don't know why but my gut tells me it will be Brown. Like what I saw from his running after the catch in pre-season.

6. What percentage of the offense should be running plays for the first four games? What percentage should be running plays after Roethlisberger returns? It all depends on the situation but I better see us running the ball on 3rd and short and no more empty sets do ya' got that B.A.???

7. Which unit do you consider to be the strength of the Steelers: Offense or defense? (The Steelers were seventh in the NFL in total offense in 2009 and fifth in total defense.) The Steel Curtain Defense.

8. What position -- quarterback, running back, offensive line, receivers, defensive line, linebackers, secondary -- is the team’s greatest weakness. To quote Ben "Who's laughin' now Oline???"

9. Have the Steelers done enough to bolster the terrible special team’s play that ruined their 2009 season? The Special teams cost us last year more than any other part of our team??? The team as a whole needs to improve and we are about to find out if that happened or not. My gut says we did and for my heart's sake I hope so.

10. What will the Steelers record be in 2010? 10-6 I guess

SteelGhost
09-07-2010, 01:13 PM
When the pressure was on he threw an interception, thats what i'm talkin about.When he least could afford to f it up,he did just that. Can't argue with facts!

I'm not arguing the facts CHS, an int occured, BUT IMHO he handled the pressure nicely in general, if he hadn't he would have been picked more :noidea: Besides he scored in a play very well executed :thumbsup:

SteelGhost
09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
1. Do you agree with coach Mike Tomlin’s decision to start Dennis Dixon at quarterback against Atlanta? Or would you have gone with Charlie Batch? Yes, I agree. Dixon's mobility will be really important

2. Considering Batch’s large edge in experience, how short of a leash should Dixon be on against the Falcons? Considering Batch's large edge in injuries.....

3. If the Steelers are 1-0 or 1-1 when Byron Leftwich, who was expected to open the season as the starting quarterback, is healthy enough to play, should he start or should Tomlin stick with the current starter? Stick with the current starter

4. How should the percentage of work be divided between starting running back Rashard Mendenhall and backup Isaac Redman: 80-20; 70-30; 60-40; 50-50? 50% Rashard and the other 50 among Moore, Redman and Dwyer

5. Who will be the Steelers MVP in the first four games. Lamar Woodley

6. What percentage of the offense should be running plays for the first four games? 60 What percentage should be running plays after Roethlisberger returns? 45

7. Which unit do you consider to be the strength of the Steelers: Offense or defense? For the first 4 games the defense, and it can extend to the playoffs, BUT it's too soon to know.

8. What position -- quarterback, running back, offensive line, receivers, defensive line, linebackers, secondary -- is the team’s greatest weakness. OL

9. Have the Steelers done enough to bolster the terrible special team’s play that ruined their 2009 season? Too soon to know, let's see how the new coach does