PDA

View Full Version : Browns in Position to Serve as Steelers' Playoff Spoilers

hawaiiansteeler
12-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Cleveland Browns in Position to Serve as Steelers' Playoff Spoilers

By Andrea Hangst , Featured Columnist Dec 30, 2015

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/560/547/hi-res-76c0829f42fffb3671e1528c1d6b3f06_crop_north.jpg?w= 630&h=420&q=75

That the Browns can ruin Pittsburgh's playoff hopes on Sunday should be a major source of motivation as Cleveland seeks its fourth (and final) win of the year.

Forget the 3-12 record. Forget the porous defense, the quarterback carousel and the fact that coaching or front office changes could be coming as soon as Monday: The Cleveland Browns are in the position to spoil the playoff hopes of longtime rivals the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday. And that should be a major motivating factor when the team prepares for their final regular-season game of the season.

The Steelers are currently the seventh seed in the AFC's playoff race, having lost hold of the conference's final wild-card spot with their surprising loss to the four-win Baltimore Ravens in Week 16. And a loss against the Browns would knock them out for good.

While the Steelers have one of the NFL's most explosive offenses and a defense that is more than capable of wreaking havoc against quarterbacks, the road has not been a kind place for them this season. Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has thrown just two touchdowns to seven interceptions when on the road in 2015, and that should be the first step the Browns take to ruining Pittsburgh's playoff hopes.

There's not much left for the Browns to fight for, given their record. But they can earn themselves some bragging rights by not allowing the Steelers to reach the postseason. Such was the case last week, when the Ravens brought down Pittsburgh, 20-17, and if the Browns bring the same intensity to the matchup this week, anything is possible.

The Steelers have long been known for underestimating seemingly inferior opponents. Though the Browns have struggled themselves against teams with eight or more wins as of late and have not won against one since 2003, that should not be in the Browns' minds this week.

Instead, the focus should be on the fact that the Steelers have lost seven of their last 11 meetings with teams posting sub-.500 records.

to read rest of article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2603484-cleveland-browns-in-position-to-serve-as-steelers-playoff-spoilers

hawaiiansteeler
12-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Darren Rovell@darrenrovell

Browns have lost 23 straight against teams with at least 8 wins. Last win over 8+ win team was Bengals in 2003.

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/681218947237154816?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

BigBen2004
12-31-2015, 03:24 AM
Ha. Keep dreaming Cleveland. The only team that can crush our hopes this weekend is Buffalo. I pray to God that they win.

Pittsburgh @ Cincy is a MUCH more enticing playoff matchup.

86WARD
12-31-2015, 05:16 AM
Jets more so than the Browns...the Ravens already spoiled the Steelers playoff birth...

stillers4me
12-31-2015, 05:40 AM

ALLD
12-31-2015, 05:53 AM
If the Steelers and Jets lose they need to purge the coaching staff.

GoSlash27
12-31-2015, 07:34 AM

If this is true, kiss the postseason goodbye. The Steelers D has a consistent habit of getting curb stomped by QBs they haven't seen before. We'll make Austin Davis look like the next coming of Joe Montana.
Plus our established pattern of losing to bottom- feeder teams.

Shoes
12-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Instead, the focus should be on the fact that the Steelers have lost seven of their last 11 meetings with teams posting sub-.500 records.

No worries, Tomlin is going to check into that in the off season, he has his broad brush at the ready.

teegre
12-31-2015, 09:13 AM

No worries, Tomlin is going to check into that in the off season, he has his broad brush at the ready.

I checked into that, for Tomlin. I keep seeing that stat bandied about... and, I don't think anyone has actually "fact checked" the validity of it. (I'm not calling you out Shoes; I'm referring to Kaloby et al.)

The Steelers last eight sub .500 teams were (from most recent to the beginning of the season):

Ravens loss
Colts win
Browns win
Raidahs win
Chargers win
Ravens loss
Rams win
Niners win

That is 6-2... which is already 2 more wins than Kaloby listed.

GoSlash27
12-31-2015, 10:16 AM
I checked into that, for Tomlin. I keep seeing that stat bandied about... and, I don't think anyone has actually "fact checked" the validity of it. (I'm not calling you out Shoes; I'm referring to Kaloby et al.)

The Steelers last eight sub .500 teams were (from most recent to the beginning of the season):

Ravens loss
Colts win
Browns win
Raidahs win
Chargers win
Ravens loss
Rams win
Niners win

That is 6-2... which is already 2 more wins than Kaloby listed.

teegre,
Thanks for fact checking this.
Is this list of teams that are sub- .500 now, or teams that were sub- .500 at the time we played them?

Moose
12-31-2015, 10:19 AM
Sorry, I just can't get into Steeler football anymore this year. I'm sick and tired of their ' not wanting' the game attitude. I watched too many games this year that we should have won and DIDN'T just because of stupid coaching, no tackling, dropped balls, etc.,etc.. We had the division in our back pocket a few times only to lose the game. We had the playoff in our back pocket only to lose the game. We had the 6th wild card in our hands, only to lose the game. Now we have to sit, wait and hope someone beats someone and someone loses to someone. Bull crap, if you can't beat the teams you have to then you damn sure aren't going to beat the better teams. I don't have faith in Tomlin having the player's pumped for any games anymore. Sorry, but losing to the brownies would be a fitting end to this season in my book. Don't get me wrong, naturally I'm hoping for a win for us, but I just have a feeling it could be ugly for us.

teegre
12-31-2015, 10:58 AM
teegre,
Thanks for fact checking this.
Is this list of teams that are sub- .500 now, or teams that were sub- .500 at the time we played them?

Ding, ding, ding!!!

That at is my secondary point of contention. When the Steelers played the Niners in week 2, the Niners were 1-0... but, we now know that they're actually a sub .500 team. Conversely, the Steelers lost to the Chiefs, who are not actually a sub .500 team (but were back then).

In other words, by what criteria does Kaloby (et al) deem a team to be sub .500?

86WARD
12-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Someone should Twitter Kaboly

GoSlash27
12-31-2015, 01:25 PM
teegre,
Speaking strictly for myself, I think of it as their record at the time we play them. That's why the "Steelers lose to sucky teams" meme persists. Of course, I can only speak for myself.

teegre
01-01-2016, 01:50 AM
teegre,
Speaking strictly for myself, I think of it as their record at the time we play them. That's why the "Steelers lose to sucky teams" meme persists. Of course, I can only speak for myself.

I hear you, but that can be tricky. I wrote the following in another thread... but, it bears iteration.

Half of the league was sub .500 after the first week.

Let's say that the Panthers and Cardinals played in week one. One of them would be a sub .500 team in week two. Conversely, if the Titans and Jaguars played in week one, one of those teams would be a "non" sub .500 team in week two.

Would losing to the Panthers/Cardinals be the same as losing to the Titans/Jaguars? According to Kaloby, the answer is: YES.

Steeldude
01-01-2016, 06:49 AM
This is not a sure win. Even if the Steelers beat the Ravens last week it still wouldn't be a sure win.

Bigfan
01-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Regardless win or lose Tomlin does not know how to win when he needs to. Never before did teams come to Pittsburgh and win but now everyone does.

GoSlash27
01-01-2016, 10:26 AM
I hear you, but that can be tricky. I wrote the following in another thread... but, it bears iteration.

Half of the league was sub .500 after the first week.

Let's say that the Panthers and Cardinals played in week one. One of them would be a sub .500 team in week two. Conversely, if the Titans and Jaguars played in week one, one of those teams would be a "non" sub .500 team in week two.

Would losing to the Panthers/Cardinals be the same as losing to the Titans/Jaguars? According to Kaloby, the answer is: YES.

Teegre,
Objectively, you are correct. But emotionally it works the other way. All the players, fans, and media see is the Steelers laying eggs against teams they were "supposed" to beat. This has a way of affecting the players themselves. Underdogs get a confidence boost, and our players are more prone to go into panic mode when things start going south. They don't know at the time that the opposing team is better than they had figured.
Nobody (well... very few people anyway) will look back on the season after the fact and say "oh, it turns out that some of those teams weren't as bad as we thought". By then, the damage is done.

There's definitely a mental aspect to this.

salamander
01-01-2016, 10:54 AM
The Steelers are 10 point favorites supposedly which means we'll either squeak out a win or just lose. Regardless, I hate having to rely on other teams to have to get into the playoffs.

teegre
01-01-2016, 11:35 AM
Teegre,
Objectively, you are correct. But emotionally it works the other way. All the players, fans, and media see is the Steelers laying eggs against teams they were "supposed" to beat. This has a way of affecting the players themselves. Underdogs get a confidence boost, and our players are more prone to go into panic mode when things start going south. They don't know at the time that the opposing team is better than they had figured.
Nobody (well... very few people anyway) will look back on the season after the fact and say "oh, it turns out that some of those teams weren't as bad as we thought". By then, the damage is done.

There's definitely a mental aspect to this.

Great point. With which I agree: the mental side does have an effect.

On the flip side, the win against the Niners felt great at the time. So did the win against the Chargers. But, really, in hindsight, those weren't very good gauges.

Taking emotion out of it, though... I still can't figure out Kaloby's math.

fansince'76
01-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Regardless win or lose Tomlin does not know how to win when he needs to. Never before did teams come to Pittsburgh and win but now everyone does.

The Steelers are currently 6-2 at home. For comparison's sake, the Patriots are currently 7-1 and the Seahawks are currently 5-3 at home. :noidea:

Welcome to the board, BTW. :drink:

hawaiiansteeler
01-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Gerry Dulac's NFL Forecast: Week 17

December 30, 2015
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Last week: 9-7 (.562)

Season record: 141-99 (.588)

Steelers (9-6) at Cleveland Browns (3-12), 1 p.m. – By all accounts, the Steelers should beat the Browns by a score similar to the 30-9 outcome at Heinz Field. Especially after the dull and disappointing performance in Baltimore. But don’t be surprised if the Browns are more inspired than the visitors.

Prediction: Steelers, 15-9

New York Jets (10-5) at Buffalo Bills (7-8), 1 p.m. – The Bills are the last morsel of hope for the Steelers, who need a Jets loss if they want to get into the playoffs. An easy assumption is that Bills coach Rex Ryan would like nothing more than to knock the team that fired him from the postseason. A better assumption is the Jets are a better team.

Prediction: Jets, 17-16

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/dulacs-picks/2015/12/30/Gerry-Dulac-s-NFL-Forecast-Week-54/stories/201512300225

GoSlash27
01-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Great point. With which I agree: the mental side does have an effect.

On the flip side, the win against the Niners felt great at the time. So did the win against the Chargers. But, really, in hindsight, those weren't very good gauges.

Taking emotion out of it, though... I still can't figure out Kaloby's math.

teegre,
Yeah, I don't understand his math either, but thanks for taking the time to look into it. That's a lot more due dilligence than most journalists would bother with these days.

43Hitman
01-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Steelers win by 20 this week. They are pissed, we are pissed, everyone is pissed, except the Clowns. They have the U-hauls ready to roll.

Butch
01-02-2016, 06:20 PM
The Steelers will most likely win this game, but once again to little to late. Seems lately we are always on the fringes looking in and everything has to go just right for us to make the playoffs. Then some piss ass referring crew will make a ton of bad calls that will end up costing us a chance at getting in. Hell even if we win and the refs don't screw the pooch there is a most likely chance that the jets come to play tomorrow and lock things up. I am normally a very upbeat person, but I'm tired of us having the playoffs in the palms or our hands only to lose it to some team we should have beat like a drum. The game plans and the performance both are to blame.

Sickening even if we do make it in.

NCSteeler
01-02-2016, 06:32 PM
The Steelers will most likely win this game, but once again to little to late. Seems lately we are always on the fringes looking in and everything has to go just right for us to make the playoffs. Then some piss ass referring crew will make a ton of bad calls that will end up costing us a chance at getting in. Hell even if we win and the refs don't screw the pooch there is a most likely chance that the jets come to play tomorrow and lock things up. I am normally a very upbeat person, but I'm tired of us having the playoffs in the palms or our hands only to lose it to some team we should have beat like a drum. The game plans and the performance both are to blame.

Sickening even if we do make it in.

Yes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hawaiiansteeler
01-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Report: Browns will fire coach, GM

Posted by Zac Jackson on January 2, 2016

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt u4yjgyogu4zdk1zgzhm2rmmwiyzmi0yzc1njzimdrk-e1438080687830.jpeg?w=250

The Browns plan to move on from general manager Ray Farmer and head coach Mike Pettine after Sunday’s season finale, a Cleveland.com report Saturday said.

The report by Mary Kay Cabot quoted sources as saying team owner Jimmy Haslam is inclined to “blow things up” and has already begun seeking out replacements. Though this is the first sourced report of such moves happening — Cabot wrote that interviews with potential replacements could begin as soon as Sunday night — neither move would be a surprise.

The Browns went 7-9 last year in Pettine’s first season but lost their final five games. They’re 3-12 headed into Sunday’s game vs. the Steelers and have won once since October.

Farmer was hired by the Browns in 2013 and promoted in Feb. 2014, a few weeks after Pettine was hired as head coach.

It was previously reported that Pettine met with Haslam and was told that a decision would be made either after the game or on Monday. Cabot previously wrote that assistant coaches walked out of a Friday meeting with Pettine feeling the staff would be fired.

Haslam took ownership of the Browns in Oct. 2012. He fired team president Mike Holmgren, general manager Tom Heckert and head coach Pat Shurmur at the conclusion of the 2012 season, fired head coach Rob Chudzinski at the end of 2013 and then fired team CEO Joe Banner and general manager Mike Lombardi in 2014 when Farmer was promoted.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/02/report-browns-will-fire-coach-gm/

43Hitman
01-02-2016, 08:21 PM
Shoot, the Clowns may not even show up now. :chuckle:

zoneblitzerII
01-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Make no mistake. This is the Steelers Super Bowl.

Butch
01-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Why is this news??? We already know how this is going to play out.

Soon they will fire the entire front office and draft a brand new QB in the 1st round just to complete the cycle.

GoSlash27
01-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Report: Browns will fire coach, GM

Posted by Zac Jackson on January 2, 2016

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt u4yjgyogu4zdk1zgzhm2rmmwiyzmi0yzc1njzimdrk-e1438080687830.jpeg?w=250

The Browns plan to move on from general manager Ray Farmer and head coach Mike Pettine after Sunday’s season finale, a Cleveland.com report Saturday said.

The report by Mary Kay Cabot quoted sources as saying team owner Jimmy Haslam is inclined to “blow things up” and has already begun seeking out replacements. Though this is the first sourced report of such moves happening — Cabot wrote that interviews with potential replacements could begin as soon as Sunday night — neither move would be a surprise.

The Browns went 7-9 last year in Pettine’s first season but lost their final five games. They’re 3-12 headed into Sunday’s game vs. the Steelers and have won once since October.

Farmer was hired by the Browns in 2013 and promoted in Feb. 2014, a few weeks after Pettine was hired as head coach.

It was previously reported that Pettine met with Haslam and was told that a decision would be made either after the game or on Monday. Cabot previously wrote that assistant coaches walked out of a Friday meeting with Pettine feeling the staff would be fired.

Haslam took ownership of the Browns in Oct. 2012. He fired team president Mike Holmgren, general manager Tom Heckert and head coach Pat Shurmur at the conclusion of the 2012 season, fired head coach Rob Chudzinski at the end of 2013 and then fired team CEO Joe Banner and general manager Mike Lombardi in 2014 when Farmer was promoted.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/02/report-browns-will-fire-coach-gm/

And the factory of sadness rolls on.
They didn't even give Pettine a chance.

BigNastyDefense
01-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Part of the reason we lost to Mallett and the Ravens is because the Steelers often don't do well against quarterbacks with strong arms, they expose our secondary badly. Also, Harbaugh is a good coach (excuse me while I wash my mouth out with soap) and he has a deep hatred (and respect) for the Steelers.

I don't see is losing to the Browns. They don't have a strong armed QB. Their top two QB's are out. Their coach doesn't care anymore, he basically knows he's getting canned on Monday or shorly thereafter. Honestly, I think he doesn't want to be there anymore. He's sick of working under Farmer he couldn't identify talent if it sucker punched him in the face, and he's really sick of having to answer questions about Manziel's off-field activities.

The Steelers are pissed after last week. I think Steelers win 41-9