PDA

View Full Version : Steelers edging on unwanted historical landmark

hawaiiansteeler
12-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Steelers edging on unwanted historical landmark

By: Neal Coolong

https://usatsteelerswire.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/502653448.jpg?w=1000

A loss on Sunday against the Cleveland Browns would put the Steelers in a position they haven’t been in for nearly five decades; a fifth consecutive season without a playoff win. A win over the Browns isn’t all the Steelers need, either. They need a Jets loss to the Bills, and then they need a win as the likely sixth seed in the AFC playoffs, a game that would be on the road against either the Denver Broncos or the Cincinnati Bengals.

Not since Chuck Noll inherited a brutal Steelers team in 1969 has the franchise gone five years without winning a playoff game. The Steelers have lost their last three playoff appearances, starting with a Super Bowl XLV loss to the Packers, then consecutive Wild Card round losses to the Broncos and Ravens after the 2011 and 2014 seasons, respectively.

A nod to Post Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac for mentioning the stat via Twitter Monday, an ominous foreshadow for a Steelers team that finds itself out of control of its postseason destiny heading into Week 17 for the third time in four years. They had already clinched a playoff spot before the final regular season game last year, but needed to win and get lots of help in 2013. They were eliminated from the playoff race before Week 17 in 2012.

They finished 8-8 both in 2012 and 2013, but won both of those regular season finales, incidentally, against the Browns.

The doom and gloom piece of the Steelers’ season is a cruel twist on a team that had been playing well prior to their Week 16 loss to the Ravens. The fact it came at the feet of a bitter rival blends in well with the fact that bitter rival earned a season sweep over the Steelers, accounting for two of the team’s five wins on the year. An offense that appeared unstoppable heading into the game, and was poised to make noise in the postseason, was stopped flat in its tracks.

And it might not even get a chance to rectify the situation.

The Jets are 2.5 point favorites at Buffalo Sunday...

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/12/29/steelers-playoff-record-mike-tomlin-2015/

fansince'76
12-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Really? No, seriously, I honestly haven't heard that very thing mentioned about 10,000,000 times or anything already. Invaluable information in that article.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/004152983/4838562686_Carson20I20did20not20know20that_answer_ 2_xlarge.png

fansince'76
12-29-2015, 01:27 PM
From the comments section of that article:

Have to agree with Bkirkmn28, we should have hired Arians, the Cards do not play down to the level of competitors.

Hilarious. This is the same "mongoloid who couldn't coach a Pop Warner team" these people effectively ran out of town 4 years ago.

And the obligatory racist yinzer crapola:

We were going to the SB last week. Now we will be watching it on TV. HAHAHA. Coach T, your owners are not happy with you. They see the no-shows at the games. They feel the lack of concessions caused by the no-shows. They feel the lack of playoffs and the lack of HOME playoffs (1 in 5 years). No fear my man. No fear at all with the Rooney Rule.

Please. Enough with the "STEELURS NAYSHUN IS DA BESSED FANBAYSE IN DA HOLE LEEG!" garbage already. :coffee:

hawaiiansteeler
12-29-2015, 01:41 PM
the Steelers fan base is spoiled.

how long has it been since the Bengals or the Browns had a playoff win?

86WARD
12-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Arians lost to the Steelers...just saying...

Craic
12-29-2015, 07:38 PM
From the comments section of that article:

Hilarious. This is the same "mongoloid who couldn't coach a Pop Warner team" these people effectively ran out of town 4 years ago.

And the obligatory racist yinzer crapola:

Please. Enough with the "STEELURS NAYSHUN IS DA BESSED FANBAYSE IN DA HOLE LEEG!" garbage already. :coffee:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

NCSteeler
12-29-2015, 07:44 PM
the Steelers fan base is spoiled.

I couldn't give a crap about Arians or how long it's been since the Bengals or Browns have been since a playoff win. Our coach is paid to win the division and if you can't do that get into the playoffs and win. Quite simply he isn't getting it done and the only question is how long he can not get it done before something changes . I expect it'll be a few more years of this same routine. I don't see any trend or any reason to believe next year or the one after will be much different. Are we getting better in any element of the game, IDK. When Ben is on we score a lot of points when Ben has an off day the team crumbles .

Godfather
12-30-2015, 11:36 AM
When Ben is on we score a lot of points when Ben has an off day the team crumbles .

In fairness, how many teams with a top ten QB succeed when that top ten QB lays an egg?

The Saints might as well not show up if Breesus has an off day (or even an above average day). The Packers aren't going to win a lot of games if Rodgers throws interceptions instead of touchdowns. Romo doesn't get a lot of love but we saw what happened to Dallas without him.

plenewken
12-30-2015, 11:37 AM

Are the Bengals and Browns the standard we should measure the Steelers against? Really?

hawaiiansteeler
12-30-2015, 12:17 PM
Are the Bengals and Browns the standard we should measure the Steelers against? Really?

only mentioned them because they are also in the AFC North.

other AFC teams: the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in 21 seasons, the Bills haven't in 18, the Dolphins in 14. the Raiders in 12, the Titans in 11, the Jaguars in 7 and the Jets haven't in 4 just like the Steelers.

and in the NFC, the Bears, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Eagles, Lions, Rams, Redskins and Vikings have all gone at least as long as the Steelers without a playoff win.

a lot of other fan bases have been suffering for way longer than we have, was just trying to point that out...

SteelerFanInStl
12-30-2015, 12:30 PM

other AFC teams: the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in 21 seasons, the Bills haven't in 18, the Dolphins in 14. the Raiders in 12, the Titans in 11, the Jaguars in 7 and the Jets haven't in 4 just like the Steelers.

and in the NFC, the Bears, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Eagles, Lions, Rams, Redskins and Vikings have all gone at least as long as the Steelers without a playoff win.

a lot of other fan bases have been suffering for way longer than we have, was just trying to point that out...

And which one of those teams has a QB as good as Ben? None of them. Palmer has played very well this year but I still wouldn't take him over Ben. Most of those teams don't have what you would call a Franchise QB. A few of them do have young guys who could turn into one though.

lipps83
12-30-2015, 01:26 PM

Lions have won only 1 playoff game in 60 years.

They don't suck. They are pitied.

plenewken
12-30-2015, 02:46 PM

Yes, and that's one of the reasons why I don't accept mediocrity from the Steelers, much less 5 years in a row. If we can't do better than 3-3 (if we beat Cleveland Sunday, which has yet to happen) against AFC North opponents with the talent we have, we have a very serious problem.

hawaiiansteeler
12-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Lions have won only 1 playoff game in 60 years.

They don't suck. They are pitied.

wow that is sad, I never realized the true extent of their futility.

that's especially shocking when you consider that over the years the Detroit Lions have had such great players as Calvin Johnson, Mel Gray, Dick LeBeau, Dick “Night Train” Lane, Herman Moore, Alex Karras, Doak Walker, Lem Barney, Bobby Layne and Barry Sanders, etc.

SteeleReign
12-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Sooo...what happens around here if the Jets lose....

.....annnnnnd.....the..... Steelers....... lose.... (runs and hides)

The pitchforks on here will be out in droves! Run away Tomlin...run away!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Psycho Ward 86
12-30-2015, 06:44 PM
i think the shittier historical landmark we're on the verge of accomplishing is becoming the best team in NFL history to miss the playoffs

ALLD
12-30-2015, 07:23 PM
If the Jets and Steelers both lose, the city will burn.

86WARD
12-30-2015, 07:37 PM
If the Jets and Steelers both lose, the city will burn.

Burn!!! Torches and Pitchforks!!

http://i.imgur.com/R5p9G94.gif

ThorndikeFFA
12-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Burn!!! Torches and Pitchforks!!

http://i.imgur.com/R5p9G94.gif
Won't happen. Pittsburgh is WAY to lethargic to go 'Detroit' over a football game.

ALLD
12-31-2015, 06:09 AM
I meant figuratively. They will lose fans to the sport too.

TD's & Beer
12-31-2015, 06:38 AM
You want a Tomlin 'legacy' to chew on - this is the one

According to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Sunday’s loss to the Ravens was the 13th loss to a sub-.500 team the last four seasons

Bluecoat96
12-31-2015, 08:00 AM
Couldn't resist
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20151231/970298a69ca37b8e5bef8fb7caf40047.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
12-31-2015, 08:32 PM
Dale Lolley (@dlolleyor) 30 Dec 15:

I picked them to go 10-6 at start of season. Knowing the injuries they have had, I would have picked 6-10. Perspective.

If #Steelers win Sunday, it guarantees a 10-win team will miss playoffs this season. 22nd time it will have happened since 1978.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dlolleyor/status/682373413990707201?s=17

Psycho Ward 86
01-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Dale Lolley (@dlolleyor) 30 Dec 15:

I picked them to go 10-6 at start of season. Knowing the injuries they have had, I would have picked 6-10. Perspective.

If #Steelers win Sunday, it guarantees a 10-win team will miss playoffs this season. 22nd time it will have happened since 1978.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dlolleyor/status/682373413990707201?s=17

i use to refuse that metric as a comparison to the current state of things. did those 10-6 teams lose to a 4-5 win team with 18 players on IR at the most critically inconvenient time possible?

Shoes
01-01-2016, 12:51 PM
I don't buy the IR thing, most of the Steeler players on IR contributed little or nothing to the team.
http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/24991-IR-Around-The-League (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/24991-IR-Around-The-League)

Count Steeler
01-01-2016, 03:37 PM
They did not execute in the most important game of the season. They had to have known that the Ravens would be playing like it was their Super Bowl, and they did not come out and take charge. So now they have an off season to ponder why this team plays to its opponent's level. It is maddening when this team can play with a 14-2 team, yet it can just as easily lose to a 2-14 team.

Is it the coaches? The players?

Let's see what Tomlin does in the off season to address these types of performances, now that he has recognized that there seems to be a pattern in his history.