PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: A Very Painful Loss

teegre
12-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Here is my reaction to yesterday's loss.

A Very Painful Loss
by Tiger Rowan

There have been more important losses than the one that the one that the Steelers suffered on Sunday to the Ravens, but none recently that hurt quite as badly as this one.

Not only are the Ravens the team with the most players on injured reserve, their secondary is horrible. Considering that the Steelers’ strength is passing, this should have been a day where Ben Roethlisberger passed for 300 yards and multiple touchdowns. Instead, Ben threw for his lowest first-half total of the season, along with two costly interceptions. For me, this game hurt so badly, because it never should have been close to begin with.

Furthermore, the most frustrating part about this loss was that any number of plays could have changed the entire game.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/steelers-suffer-a-very-painful-loss/

NOTE: Check out Pereira's tweet. :doh:

hawaiiansteeler
12-28-2015, 05:57 PM
as always, nice article Tiger!

and that was painful, the last time I felt that kind of emotion was after we had been Tebowed...

tube517
12-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Yes, a good read.

But, the last time I felt this kind of emotion was the first Ravens game this year. That was really one that got away,too. Just a sick feeling that gnaws at you The defense actually was better in that game. And then there was Scooby & Vick.

As Woody said in "Cheers":" I'm just consumed by a gnawing hate that's eating away at my gut until I can taste the bile in my mouth!"

hawaiiansteeler
12-28-2015, 06:07 PM
the last time I felt this kind of emotion was the first Ravens game this year. That was really one that got away,too. Just a sick feeling that gnaws at you The defense actually was better in that game.

I suppose I didn't have that same emotional feeling because with Ben out my expectations weren't that high...

teegre
12-28-2015, 06:13 PM
as always, nice article Tiger!

and that was painful, the last time I felt that kind of emotion was after we had been Tebowed...

Thanks, man.

Indeed. I was so stunned after that game. Admittedly, I overlooked them.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, a good read.

But, the last time I felt this kind of emotion was the first Ravens game this year. That was really one that got away,too. Just a sick feeling that gnaws at you The defense actually was better in that game. And then there was Scooby & Vick.

As Woody said in "Cheers":" I'm just consumed by a gnawing hate that's eating away at my gut until I can taste the bile in my mouth!"

As Hawaii said: without BB, I wasn't expecting a blowout.

What irks me though, is Scobee missing two freakin' FGs.

tube517
12-28-2015, 06:21 PM
I suppose I didn't have that same emotional feeling because with Ben out my expectations weren't that high...

True, but the way that game played out and the defense showed more fight (5 sacks, 2 TO's) than yesterday but those damn missed FG's, they were still so close.

teegre
12-28-2015, 06:26 PM
True, but the way that game played out and the defense showed more fight (5 sacks, 2 TO's) than yesterday but those damn missed FG's, they were still so close.

You know: you're right.

Now I'm pissed about that game, too. :mad:

teegre
12-28-2015, 06:37 PM
As far as Pereira's tweet goes...

Not only would AB's touchdown have given the Steelers 4 more points, and all of the momentum... my fantasy football team would have had about 7 more points.

(I lost the championship by .26 points.)

Count Steeler
12-28-2015, 06:40 PM
Kind of knew they were going to lay an egg on Sunday, so I went to see Star Wars with my other son. Much better the second time around. Picked up some things that I missed.

As pissed as I am that we lost, I was expecting it, so it is not as painful as knowing that they were going to let their playoff chances slide and lose to Harbitch, again. Just can't remember how many times we don't take advantage of another team's weaknesses.

Time to shut up and put up. AND hope that Tyrod Taylor can save our season. Now THAT is painful.

Good read teegre.

teegre
12-28-2015, 06:52 PM
Time to shut up and put up. AND hope that Tyrod Taylor can save our season.

On Tyrod, on AJ, on Philip and Rexy.

Now Marvin, now Johnny, final-week upsets are sexy.

Shoes
12-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Good read TR, very well put together. Playing the Ravens and the history/scores of these games point to taking the FG on 4th down. Bad decision imo, Tomlin should have his eyelids ripped off! :chuckle:

teegre
12-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Good read TR, very well put together. Playing the Ravens and the history/scores of these games point to taking the FG on 4th down. Bad decision imo, Tomlin should have his eyelids ripped off! :chuckle:

I will use my pop as a barometer.

I almost always would opt to go for it; whereas, he would almost always opt to kick the FG. Yesterday, my dad averred: "Go for it and send a message."

Alas, Pittsburgh ran an ill-designed play (a three-TE set which played into Baltimore's strength: it's front 7).

43Hitman
12-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Good read, thanks for sharing. Losses to the Ravens always rub me the wrong way. Heck I was more pissed about that loss than I was the Chiefs loss. Admittedly, I overlooked them too. After having a day or two to calm down and reflect with a cooler head, I still have a problem with them going for it on 4th down(that's not a hindsight thing either, I was crowing as soon as I saw Mike with his hands up keeping them on the field). We historically have tight games with them, so those 3 points, to me, are like gold. I also understand that we were going for the jugular, to take them out of the game. It just didn't work. Looking back it would of been nice to see play action, or some kind of misdirection to keep the defense honest.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

katmandu
12-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Good read, thanks for sharing. Losses to the Ravens always rub me the wrong way. Heck I was more pissed about that loss than I was the Chiefs loss. Good articles as always teegre.

The loss to the Ravens made me physically ill. Not throwing up but certainly nauseous, angry and depressed.

I think a great barometer is how we (fellow SU posters) were spewing and ranting here in this forum. It was at the point people were getting testy with other posters. Much more than normal I should add.

I've always wondered if the rates of suicides go up after losses such as this! Seriously ! We would never know for sure since most suicides are NOT recorded by Coroners as such. I know this since my wife used to be a Director of a Suicide Prevention Coalition Non-profit agency.

teegre
12-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Good read, thanks for sharing. Losses to the Ravens always rub me the wrong way. Heck I was more pissed about that loss than I was the Chiefs loss. Admittedly, I overlooked them too. After having a day or two to calm down and reflect with a cooler head, I still have a problem with them going for it on 4th down(that's not a hindsight thing either, I was crowing as soon as I saw Mike with his hands up keeping them on the field). We historically have tight games with them, so those 3 points, to me, are like gold. I also understand that we were going for the jugular, to take them out of the game. It just didn't work. Looking back it would of been nice to see play action, or some kind of misdirection to keep the defense honest.

Yep. My brother and I were playing hypotheticals, and we asked: would you rather have won the Chiefs game or one of the Ravens games? The smart answer is: win the Chiefs game, because not only does it give the Steelers one more victory, it gives the Chiefs one more loss (almost assuredly making the Steelers a playoff team).

But... we were both like "Eff the Ravens!!!" :lol:

Going with the three-TE set made no sense. It took Baltimore's weakness (DBs) off of the field, and added more of their strength (DLs and LBs). I would have spread them out, and then given the ball to D.Williams... which worked the entire way down the field.

Baffling playcall.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always wondered if the rates of suicides go up after losses such as this! Seriously ! We would never know for sure since most suicides are NOT recorded by Coroners as such. I know this since my wife used to be a Director of a Suicide Prevention Coalition Non-profit agency.

Interesting... I hope not. Because, ultimately, it is merely a game.

This loss affected me, no doubt. I got angry. So, I could see how it'd be a possible tipping point, but man alive! I hope not.

86WARD
12-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Good stuff!

43Hitman
12-30-2015, 02:15 PM
Yep. My brother and I were playing hypotheticals, and we asked: would you rather have won the Chiefs game or one of the Ravens games? The smart answer is: win the Chiefs game, because not only does it give the Steelers one more victory, it gives the Chiefs one more loss (almost assuredly making the Steelers a playoff team).

But... we were both like "Eff the Ravens!!!" [emoji38]

Going with the three-TE set made no sense. It took Baltimore's weakness (DBs) off of the field, and added more of their strength (DLs and LBs). I would have spread them out, and then given the ball to D.Williams... which worked the entire way down the field.

Baffling playcall.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting... I hope not. Because, ultimately, it is merely a game.

This loss affected me, no doubt. I got angry. So, I could see how it'd be a possible tipping point, but man alive! I hope not.
Yep I would definitely trade in the Chiefs loss, we'd be in the playoffs right now instead of praying that the Jets lay an egg.

teegre
12-30-2015, 09:32 PM
Yep I would definitely trade in the Chiefs loss, we'd be in the playoffs right now instead of praying that the Jets lay an egg.

Brain says: Change the Chiefs loss to a win.

Heart says: Die, Ravens, Die!!!

(You are 100% correct... despite what my emotions say.)