PDA

View Full Version : RE-Drafting 2015

teegre
12-27-2015, 09:40 PM
I just saw Danielle Hunter get his 6th sack of the season... which leads all rookies.

Likewise, Marcus Peters got his 8th INT today, which is tied for the league lead.

Now, I really like Bud Dupree, but I wish the Steelers had traded up for Peters (or, Peter's had somehow dropped to them). Likewise, Golson might be a good CB, but Peters already is a good CB.

And, this is not just hindsight being 20/20:

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dinner-takes-all-meals-influence-the-2015-nfl-draft/

Steeldude
12-28-2015, 02:36 AM
I just saw Danielle Hunter get his 6th sack of the season... which leads all rookies.

Likewise, Marcus Peters got his 8th INT today, which is tied for the league lead.

Now, I really like Bud Dupree, but I wish the Steelers had traded up for Peters (or, Peter's had somehow dropped to them). Likewise, Golson might be a good CB, but Peters already is a good CB.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dinner-takes-all-meals-influence-the-2015-nfl-draft/

I don't think Tomlin would play Peters.

As for Dupree, I am not sold on him at all. He has shown more than Jones, but that isn't saying much at all. Next year will be the key. You can either rush the passer or you cannot. Plus, I want to see more than just sacks. I want to see a complete OLB.

Drazo85
12-28-2015, 04:44 AM
I don't think Tomlin would play Peters.

As for Dupree, I am not sold on him at all. He has shown more than Jones, but that isn't saying much at all. Next year will be the key. You can either rush the passer or you cannot. Plus, I want to see more than just sacks. I want to see a complete OLB.

Dupree lacks pass rush moves. He is too often out of play. OTs are pushing him around the pocket, and he usually makes a step or two more than he should. If he is going to be successful he must develop some inside moves and counters. He is too predictable relying on his first step and athleticism. He has talent, but moves are lacking. It can be fixed but the time would be needed.

Steel Peon
12-28-2015, 05:00 AM
A blast from the past, to the nuts!

zulater
12-28-2015, 05:34 AM
Dupree had a mediocre rookie season in my opinion. Hope he proves worthy of the pick next year. But I've got doubts.

Steelman
12-28-2015, 08:45 AM
The more I see Marcus Peters play in the NFL the more pissed I get that we didn't try harder to draft him.

I like Dupree. I thought his first half of the season was more than adequate for a raw rookie, but he faded down the stretch and has been invisible for a few weeks now. But the same can be said for the whole linebacking corps. They're not getting pressure and they can't cover, so I can't pin that all on Dupree. I'm not going to throw in the towel on him yet. The coaching staff doesn't give me confidence in being able to hone Dupree into an NFL caliber linebacker but he definitely has the talent for it.

I have to wonder about having Joey Porter as our OLB coach though. What does he bring to the table besides good halftime speeches? The measuring stick for positional coaching job performance is how your guys develop and play. When Arthur Moats is your best OLB, that's problematic.

blackngold8766
12-28-2015, 08:47 AM

Happy Holidays Teegs, Do you think the players you named are coached up differently and or motivated differently and if they took the place of the Steeler drafted, would they have had equal success? Another words is it the player or the system
IMO many of those guys rated 2-5 prior to the draft are more similar than different.

steelreserve
12-28-2015, 03:59 PM
How many times do we take a player who has "an amazing amount of raw talent" and "just needs a little time to develop," and then guess what, he never develops, just stays the same as he was when we drafted him. For some reason, that happens ALL THE TIME, especially on defense. That tells me something's off with the coaching.

lipps83
12-28-2015, 05:10 PM
How many times do we take a player who has "an amazing amount of raw talent" and "just needs a little time to develop," and then guess what, he never develops, just stays the same as he was when we drafted him. For some reason, that happens ALL THE TIME, especially on defense. That tells me something's off with the coaching.

Shazier is a fine specimen and could turn out to consistently be a good baller. So far his worst ability is availability.

I was in the CJ Mosley camp if they were to get another linebacker. I wasn't even expecting them to take another linebacker because I was okay with giving Vince Williams another year.

Nonetheless, every time I will always go with a footballer (mosley) over an athlete (shazier). I don't care how fast the 40 time is, Dri Archer.

teegre
12-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Happy Holidays Teegs, Do you think the players you named are coached up differently and or motivated differently and if they took the place of the Steeler drafted, would they have had equal success? Another words is it the player or the system
IMO many of those guys rated 2-5 prior to the draft are more similar than different.

Welcome!!! I saw you stopped in (a few weeks back). You'll like it here; its a good board.

Great question.

With Hunter, it could be that he's part of a rotation; akin to Woodley as a rookie. Hunter basically only plays on passing downs, which would boost his sack numbers. Dupree is asked to play a lot more, and his success has tapered off as the season has progressed (as it does with most rookies). If Hunter were asked to play as much as Dupree, I think we'd see similar results. SUMMATION: a wash

Peters simply has too much talent not to succeed. That said, the Chiefs defense is stacked. The pressure that their front 7 creates turns into errant throws, which leads to interceptions. SUMMATION: he's great, but he's also on a great defense.

I see Dupree and Hunter as basically equal. I can't really complain about that pick. That said, the difference is that Hunter could have been had a round later, allowing the Steelers to get the best CB (Peters) in the past three drafts.