PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Ravens go opposite ways this season after many injuries

stillers4me
12-27-2015, 08:09 AM
Mike Vick has played for four teams in 15 years in the National Football League, most times as a starter who never had to worry about preparing as a backup quarterback.

That, though, is what he was when the Steelers signed him in late August to replace injured Bruce Gradkowski as the backup to Ben Roethlisberger.

But Vick, 35, learned in a short amount of time the philosophy the Steelers embrace: That there no backups, that there are 53 players who, at any given time, might be needed to play and play up to or at least near the level of the person they are replacing. Coach Mike Tomlin calls it “Next Man Up,” sometimes known as “The Standard is the Standard.”

“I’ve never been to a place where it’s next man up,” Vick said. “I’ve never seen an attitude like this anywhere I’ve been.”

It didn’t take Vick long to find out what it really means.........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/27/Steelers-Ravens-go-opposite-ways-this-season-after-many-injuries/stories/201512270160