PDA

View Full Version : Great writeup by Peter King on Charlie Batch

stillers4me
09-06-2010, 04:28 PM
..................."I don't know anything,'' he said over the weekend. "But I've thought about what it would be like to have that chance. It would be wonderful. I grew up here, and I dreamed about being Mark Malone or Walter Abercrombie some day. I thank God every day I wake up a Steeler. I get to put the black and gold on every day. I'm living the dream.''

...............In 1996, when Batch was a quarterback at Eastern Michigan, his younger sister, Danyl Settles, was killed in the crossfire between rival gangs in the rough Pittsburgh neighborhood of Homestead, where the family grew up. Batch was drafted by Detroit in 1998 and played there for parts of four seasons. When the Lions let Batch go in 2002, the Steelers signed him as a backup. Knowing he was moving back home, he decided he had to do something about the hopelessness and violence that plagued the neighborhood where he was raised.
He started a summer basketball program for the boys and girls in town. The program began the Monday after school let out and ran until the weekend before football practice began in late July. It was a bridge, in essence, to keep kids with nothing to do off the streets.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/09/05/mmqb/#ixzz0ymrau8dG

HometownGal
09-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Very nice read and I give Charlie mad props for all the effort he puts into helping the youth in his community. He's a great person with a huge heart. My only issue with him, however, is that I've never believed him to be a good NFL QB. If the Steelers pink slip him when Ben comes back and Byron is healthy, I hope they offer him a lifetime coaching position with the team - he'd be awesome in that capacity. :thumbsup:

Devilsdancefloor
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
He is a very kind hearted person for sure i hope he can retired a steeler

SteelerSal
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Charlie is a class guy. Good article.

fansince'76
09-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Very nice read and I give Charlie mad props for all the effort he puts into helping the youth in his community. He's a great person with a huge heart. My only issue with him, however, is that I've never believed him to be a good NFL QB. If the Steelers pink slip him when Ben comes back and Byron is healthy, I hope they offer him a lifetime coaching position with the team - he'd be awesome in that capacity. :thumbsup:

That's what I'm hoping for as well. When he does finally hang up the pads for good, I hope the Steelers keep him in the fold in some capacity.

Craic
09-06-2010, 11:43 PM

I thought for the first few years he was a very good backup. Anymore, he is just too brittle. However, I completely agree with you. He is a great guy, great heart, and a good coach. I really hope he is released half way through the year when Ben comes back (A roster spot needs to be made for him) and then he is picked back up as an assistant QB coach.

cold-hard-steel
09-06-2010, 11:52 PM
I know i'm pushin for Batch.

O'Malley
09-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Maybe he can replace Bruce.:noidea: But I would also like to see him retire a Steeler.

SteelGhost
09-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Nice read S4M, thanks for sharing ! Mr. Batch is a class act :thumbsup:

Edman
09-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Batch has a future career as a coach. He's definitely coach material. Keeps his head on his shoulders and knows what he's talking about.