PDA

View Full Version : DeAngelo Williams considered 2nd best FA acquisition in 2015

hawaiiansteeler
12-25-2015, 12:46 AM
Steelers RB DeAngelo Williams considered the 2nd best free agent acquisition in 2015

By Jeff.Hartman on Dec 24, 2015

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/QJTaO02FiPhTG920C9VhIf8dKIk=/0x622:2020x1969/2400x1600/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/48432143/usa-today-9007704.0.jpg

The Steelers brought in a veteran to backup Le'Veon Bell, and DeAngelo Williams has been worth every dime as he has filled in tremendously for the injured All Pro Bell.

The Pittsburgh Steelers were searching for an insurance policy for Le'Veon Bell entering the 2015 season. After watching their young All Pro running back injured in Week 17 of the 2014 season and having to turn to Ben Tate, Dri Archer and Josh Harris in the 2014 AFC Wild Card game vs. the Baltimore Ravens, the team realized they needed depth at running back.

They had attempted to add veteran depth to the backfield prior to the 2014 season when signing LeGarrette Blount, but after his release fans and teammates were left to watch Blount hoist a Lombardi Trophy with a Patriots' jersey over his pads. This became the struggle for Pittsburgh. Trying to find a back up who was a team-first player, accepted his role as back up to Bell and would be capable of filling in if Bell was injured again. Oh, and also for the right price as the salary cap-strapped Steelers can't afford to sign big-name free agents.

The man they selected was DeAngelo Williams, and you don't have to tell Steelers fans how great the former Carolina Panthers running back has been for Pittsburgh in 2015. In fact, Mike Sando of ESPN.com ranked Williams 2nd in terms of best free agent acquisitions in 2015.

See what Sando had to say about Williams and the Steelers' decision to sign him to a contract prior to the 2015 season.

2. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Contractual value: The Steelers signed Williams for two years and $4 million with the thought he could help out early in the season, when starter Le'Veon Bell was suspended.

Production: Williams ranks 13th in rushing yards with 799 on 178 carries, good for a 4.5-yard average. He ranks sixth among NFL running backs in PFF grading.

Lasting lesson: Age 30 is not necessarily a career death sentence for running backs, but if you're going to sign an older back (Williams is 32), make sure it's for the right money. In this case, the Steelers also knew they would lean heavily on the pass this season. They were not going to place the offense on Williams' shoulders even if Bell became unavailable, which he did.

The Steelers putting their money on Williams has paid huge dividends for the team in Bell's absence. Williams has improved his pass catching skills, is a tremendous pass blocker and, with a leaner frame, has shown the speed and agility which made him famous in the NFL while with the Panthers.

Most Steelers fans who are reading this might be wondering who is first on this list, if Williams is second? Here are the Top 5 free agents, according to ESPN:

1. Tyrod Taylor, QB, Buffalo Bills
2. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers
3. Kurt Coleman, S, Carolina Panthers
4. Jabaal Sheard, OLB, New England Patriots
5. Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Carolina Panthers

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/12/24/10656472/steelers-rb-deangelo-williams-considered-the-2nd-best-free-agent

86WARD
12-25-2015, 05:53 AM
I'd agree with that list. I can't thank Blount enough for being the fuck up that he is. Without him acting the way he did, we may still be stuck with him and New England could have Williams. I liked the Williams signing from the get go and would love to see him go up,against his old team in the Super Bowl...although I would prefer it be someone other than Carolina, but I like the storyline...lol,

salamander
12-25-2015, 06:07 AM
I'd agree with that list. I can't thank Blount enough for being the fuck up that he is. Without him acting the way he did, we may still be stuck with him and New England could have Williams. I liked the Williams signing from the get go and would love to see him go up,against his old team in the Super Bowl...although I would prefer it be someone other than Carolina, but I like the storyline...lol,

I can't even imagine Williams signing with the Cheats... we would've had "BELICHECK IS A SUPER GENIUS!!!!" shoved down our throats even more than usual.

st33lersguy
12-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Tyrod Taylor over Deangelo Williams?!?!?!?! Bullshit! Deangelo has kept the running game afloat in the absence of LB. The Bills meanwhile are out of playoff contention and are ranked near the bottom in pass offense

lipps83
12-25-2015, 09:55 AM
Tyrod Taylor over Deangelo Williams?!?!?!?! Bullshit! Deangelo has kept the running game afloat in the absence of LB. The Bills meanwhile are out of playoff contention and are ranked near the bottom in pass offense

Tyrod Taylor has been awesome for the Bills. He is probably one of the few reasons the Bills were ever in contention this season.

86WARD
12-25-2015, 10:19 AM

I'd have to disagree here. I love Williams, but the impact Taylor has made for the Bills has been far greater. Without him, they probably aren't close to what they've been. He gets the ball to Sammy Watkins...which is what they should do to succeed. Taylor will probably finish over 3000 yards, currently at 20 TDs and 5 INTs (3 of which came in one game vs. NE). He's been pretty good for them for essentially being a rookie starter.

If the Steelers don't have Williams, they're probably still okay...

86WARD
12-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Not to mention Taylor's 450 yards rushing and 3 TDs to add to the passing stats.