PDA

View Full Version : Yes..... He Really is That Stupid ! (Shamarko's constant gaffes...)

katmandu
12-22-2015, 05:23 PM
The dumbass could have cost us the game on Sunday with his stupidity.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/tomlin-critical-of-shamarko-thomas-for-special-teams-gaffe/

People REALLY need to look at future Draftee's intelligence, football IQ and Wonderlich tests scores when evaluating them. IMHO, there is way too much emphasis places on Draftee's physical skill set and raw talent.

Shamarko is a classic case as to WHY an abundant amount of brain cells is needed at the NFL level.

vasteeler
12-22-2015, 06:52 PM
whats even worse is that he just stands there and watches number 11 run down field. dos'nt even attempt to give chase

katmandu
12-22-2015, 08:02 PM
whats even worse is that he just stands there and watches number 11 run down field. dos'nt even attempt to give chaseHe was totally dumbfounded and totally unaware of what was going on around him. Unreal....

Texasteel
12-22-2015, 08:27 PM
I was one of the idiots that was high on him, but then I didn't have the advantage of interviewing him. I can't believe they talked to him for very long without seeing that his learning curve was going to be a problem.

katmandu
12-22-2015, 10:13 PM
I was one of the idiots that was high on him, but then I didn't have the advantage of interviewing him. I can't believe they talked to him for very long without seeing that his learning curve was going to be a problem.https://www.dashingd3js.com/assets/steep_learning_curve-7c6e27560aabbd16a3ddb4eca06fe2fb.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
12-22-2015, 10:52 PM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pick it up

Tomlin said he did not have a conversation with Shamarko Thomas about not downing the punt that almost resulted in a touchdown in the second half.

“I’m sure he’s very aware of the rule,” Tomlin said. “It’s like acknowledging the sky is blue. He needs to pick the ball up and hand it to the official.”

Denver’s Jordan Norwood picked the ball up after Thomas failed to down it and ran for a touchdown, but the play was nullified by an illegal substitution penalty when Denver’s offensive linemen started to job onto the field in the middle of the play.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/22/Steelers-coach-Mike-Tomlin-says-he-ll-start-Blake-over-Boykin-against-Ravens/stories/201512220167

Steeldude
12-23-2015, 12:43 AM
I don't think you need an abundance of intelligence to play in the NFL, but depending on your position there is a certain standard you should meet.

86WARD
12-23-2015, 07:35 AM
You should at least know the rules of the game...at the very least. As at as I am concerned he and Blake can take a hike. They don't contribute on defense and they are both a liability on special teams...Blake less than Thomas but nonetheless, they're both garbage on this roster and if cut, I'm pretty sure they'd be rooming with Dri Archer. Maybe I've been too hard in Danny Smith...Archer, Blake, Thomas....it would be hard for any coach...nah fuck him, he's terrible too...

zulater
12-23-2015, 08:45 AM
Thomas made a stupid mistake. That doesn't mean his overall special teams play has been deficient. And you know he wont make that mistake again. Yeah it could have potentially cost the Steelers big time. But it didn't. Thanks to the Broncos who were too busy making their own sideline gaffe to benefit from it. And if you want to get right down to it who's mistake was more ridiculous? (putting your black and gold blinders aside) Yeah Sharmarko should have recognized the play wasn't necessarily over ( it might have been though, replay may have ruled the ball dead due to Thomas's foot touching the sideline while controlling the ball) But at the same token how the hell do multiple offensive starters for the Broncos take the field while the play is still live? What the hell was their hurry? Who's in charge of that? :doh:

Truth be told it was an easy mistake to make. You see this play happen once every other year in the NFL. 21 guys on the field think the play is dead. Most everyone on the sidelines (coaches included) thinks so too. Most likely the majority of the officiating crew. Add in about 65,000 people in the seats as well. But the returner knows the ball is alive and since the ball was touched down by the defender even if he fumbles or loses yards it wont cost him. The ball just reverts back to the spot where it was downed.

Look I'm no fan of Shamarko. And obviously he's not the brightest bulb in the box as the preseason surely proved when he was given every chance to be one of the starting safeties but had no understanding of where he was ever supposed to be on the field, particularly in pass coverage. Well actually he was just as bad against the run, as anytime he's on the field if the rb breaks the contain of the front 7 Thomas is lost somewhere in the ozone of his brain and wont come close to slowing the runner even if his assigned spot is right on the path.

Anyway for whatever reason he did make the final roster and has shown value on special teams coverage units. So I don't see any reason to change things this season. For the most part our coverage units have been acceptable. If you take him out of his gunners role then you've got to replace him with someone who likely has more value on the offense or defensive unit. And if a gunner takes a wrong lane that can lead to a game changing return. So it's not likely at this juncture of the season you'll even maintain status quo if you pull him off the field now.

It's hard to imagine him making the roster next year, and he'll probably go largely unnoticed (in a good way) for the remainder of this season, so just let out a sigh of relief, thank the sports Gods for our luck on that particular play and move on.

lotas
12-23-2015, 10:46 AM
Thomas clearly isn't what we'd hope he would become. I remember when he was drafted on Steelers Xtreme guys were talking about him potentially being Troy 2.0

What he has turned into is a solid special teams player. Sure, he made a mistake on Sunday, but that's how you learn. Even our great players still make mistakes from time to time, look at Ben's last interception.

I don't have a problem with Thomas as a ST player, just like I think Blake should be a ST player. ST is a great place for guys who are good, not great.

NCSteeler
12-23-2015, 02:15 PM
I don't get the Danny Smith hate. Our STs used to give me heart burn. Literally always expected to give up a big run back, how many times did we score only to watch the other team run it right back to score. Here lately the coverage teams have been quite good.

Shamarko has been decent on Sts, nothing more nothign less.

SteelerFanInStl
12-24-2015, 04:54 PM
The coverage has been decent this year but I think what's helped the most is the deep kickoffs by Boswell. Nix has also been very good in coverage. I think that he's been a really good find.

katmandu
12-24-2015, 06:43 PM
, he made a mistake on Sunday, but that's how you learn. He's had more than (1) stupid mistake on STs.

I don't know the numbers (don't know where to look for number of penalties a player has....) but I'm sure it's higher than anyone else on Special Teams. Perhaps from ALL NFL teams.... not just the Steelers.

A Special teams player getting multiple penalties/mistakes is simply not acceptable. STs is not rocket science.

zulater
12-24-2015, 07:52 PM
He's had more than (1) stupid mistake on STs.

I don't know the numbers (don't know where to look for number of penalties a player has....) but I'm sure it's higher than anyone else on Special Teams. Perhaps from ALL NFL teams.... not just the Steelers.

A Special teams player getting multiple penalties/mistakes is simply not acceptable. STs is not rocket science.

If you're going to toss something like that into the discussion it seems as though you should be obligated to offer something more in the way of proof than because I say so. Maybe you're right? But I honestly remember ? Sharmarko standing out that badly throughout the season.

I'll give you an example. A couple seasons back it seemed as though Curtis Brown committed a special teams gaffe at least once a game. As soon as the flag came out you knew 31 was going to be called. I just can't remember Thomas standing out that often? In fact I seem to have more specific memory of Blake screwing things up on special teams this year. (he's a multi-faceted fuck up)

Count Steeler
12-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Thomas did get another flag when he interfered with a player making a fair catch. Stood in the receivers face and then moved away. Can't remember the game.

zulater
12-24-2015, 11:21 PM
Thomas did get another flag when he interfered with a player making a fair catch. Stood in the receivers face and then moved away. Can't remember the game.

It really comes down to this then. Does removing Thomas from all special teams units make this team better for the remainder of this season?

My guess would be no.

katmandu
12-25-2015, 01:48 AM
Thomas did get another flag when he interfered with a player making a fair catch. Stood in the receivers face and then moved away. Can't remember the game.This was a really STUPID gaffe. Pee Wee players know better than to do this let alone a player that has 15 more years experience playing the game. Just STUPID !

Like I said earlier Zu, I don't know where the info is on penalty stats. Perhaps someone else knows where it's at.

Steeldude
12-25-2015, 02:45 AM

He made contact too.

His education is probably on par with a 4th grader. I'm being serious.

86WARD
12-25-2015, 05:49 AM
It really comes down to this then. Does removing Thomas from all special teams units make this team better for the remainder of this season?

My guess would be no.

Of all units on the field, Special Teams is one that you can switch players most often and not have it affect the team like say switching from a starting SS to a back up. Do you think it makes the unit any worse losing Thomas? I don't think it does. If you removed Thomas from this team and added Ventrone, I think the special teams unit would be better. That move may not strengthen the back end of the defense, but I think it strengthens the special teams.

Count Steeler
12-25-2015, 06:07 AM

My guess would be no.

That is a tough call. He can be good, but then you never know when he is going to have a brain fart and how much will that brain fart cost the team. If it is a penalty, meh. If it is leaving the ball on the field, that is major.

I'd probably keep playing him, but I would have a plan to make this his last year. Is Grant playing on STs?

ALLD
12-25-2015, 08:55 AM
There is no cure for stupid, no magic pill or exercise.

zulater
12-25-2015, 08:59 AM
I guess you guys weren't paying attention to the Broncos kickoff return after the Steelers took the 34-27 lead? Just to refresh your memory they ran a reverse that caught the Steelers coverage unit off guard. Had it not been for Sharmarko Thomas shedding a block at just the right time and making an unassisted open field tackle at the 40 the Broncos returner only has Boswell ( about 8 yards further down the field at the time) to beat for a touchdown.

Maybe anyone playing his position on the unit makes that play? But watching the play just now I doubt it. It was a very good individual effort by Thomas. I think it's fair to say he just may have preserved our lead. Not only did he refrain from getting suckered by the reverse ( at least 2/3 of the coverage unit did) he did what you;re supposed to do, he maintained his lane. Beat a blocker who was in perfect position to keep him out of the play, then brought down a runner with a full head of steam unassisted.

But hey let's cut the guy.

By the way on the interference call on the fair catch. The punter kicked a horrible punt which put Thomas at exactly the wrong spot at exactly the wrong time. If you actually watched the play after you calmed down and saw it objectively, it was a very iffy penalty. Thomas did everything he could to avoid contact (which he did) and the returner caught the ball. Bang bang play, but at the moment the ball arrives Thomas had managed to extract himself from being any hinderence to the catch.

I'd wager anything the coaches held the punter responsible for that penalty. Poor depth and worse placement. Thomas was where he was supposed to be. The ball wasn't. The gunners can't visually follow the flight of the ball and get to their assigned area.

86WARD
12-25-2015, 09:48 AM
No he can't see the flight of the ball but he could probably see the returner in front of him. Maybe not...

hawaiiansteeler
12-26-2015, 05:19 PM
Steelers 2016 Salary Cap: Safety Contracts & Soon-To-Be Free Agents

Steelers Depot

It's time to move forward with our position by position look at the Pittsburgh
Steelers salary cap situation for 2016. Today we'll turn our attention to the safety position:

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-2016-salary-cap-safety-contracts-soon-to-be-free-agents/

katmandu
12-26-2015, 06:18 PM

Steelers Depot

Steelers salary cap situation for 2016. Today we'll turn our attention to the safety position:

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-2016-salary-cap-safety-contracts-soon-to-be-free-agents/

http://pichost.biz/img/rgh1451171923y.jpg

steelreserve
12-26-2015, 07:23 PM
I don't really care about a couple of mistakes on special teams. What I'm upset about is that on defense, he's basically turned out to be Ryan Mundy drafted three rounds higher. A shame, since at the time, that really looked like a good pick at a position where we really needed it.

On the other hand, Robert Golden has turned out to be a pretty solid-looking player and he was undrafted, so that takes a little of the sting out of it. We still need another decent player back there, though.

zulater
12-26-2015, 08:03 PM

Steelers Depot

to read rest of article:

I don't think he has much chance of making the team next year.

But if I were his agent I would tell him if he's not already living in Pittsburgh to get an apartment within walking distance of Heinz Field. I would tell him to be in the facility every day working out and much more importantly watching game film of every defensive play run by the Steelers this past season. I would make sure he knows what the safety was supposed to do on every play, and make sure he knows what they did wrong when they were wrong and what they did right when they were right.

Maybe he's not smart enough to comprehend? But if that's the case he has to make sure it's the case. Because if it's just a matter of putting his nose to the grindstone and applying himself completely, I would suggest he do so before it's too late. If it's not already.

Tank McGee
12-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Anyway for whatever reason he did make the final roster and has shown value on special teams coverage units. So I don't see any reason to change things this season. For the most part our coverage units have been acceptable. If you take him out of his gunners role then you've got to replace him with someone who likely has more value on the offense or defensive unit. And if a gunner takes a wrong lane that can lead to a game changing return. So it's not likely at this juncture of the season you'll even maintain status quo if you pull him off the field now.

It's hard to imagine him making the roster next year, and he'll probably go largely unnoticed (in a good way) for the remainder of this season, so just let out a sigh of relief, thank the sports Gods for our luck on that particular play and move on.

Great post. It's nice to see someone keep things in perspective.

86WARD
12-27-2015, 04:09 PM
He had a real nice tackle on Special Teams today. Props to him for that one.

hawaiiansteeler
01-09-2016, 07:31 PM
Shamarko just committed his 3rd special teams interference penalty this season...

Steeldude
01-09-2016, 07:34 PM
Yes, he is that stupid

86WARD
01-10-2016, 12:04 AM
ANother special teams gaff.

Steel Peon
01-10-2016, 12:17 AM
ANother special teams gaff.
And not only another gaffe, but the same EXACT gaffe......wtf bro? :crazy:

ALLD
01-10-2016, 10:29 AM
He is dumb and will probably place himself out of the NFL and wonder what happened.

NJarhead
01-10-2016, 10:43 AM
I was high on him too, Tex. Such a disappointment.