PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin says he'll start Blake over Boykin against Ravens

hawaiiansteeler
12-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Tomlin says he'll start Blake over Boykin against Ravens

December 22, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/11/15/720x_q90_cMC_z_ca229,0,2303,1382/20151115mfssportssteelers19-1.jpg

Antwon Blake takes down Cleveland's Travis Benjamin.

Antwon Blake continues to be the most targeted cornerback in the NFL and opposing receivers continue to post big numbers against him, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said this afternoon that Blake will continue to start ahead of Brandon Boykin.

After the Steelers gave up 27 points to the Broncos in the first half Sunday, Boykin played more than Blake in the second. The Steelers shut out the Broncos after halftime, but the rotation will not change for this week’s game against the Ravens in Baltimore.

“We’re going to continue with the rotation we’ve had,” Tomlin said. “Sometimes the numbers may change over the course of a game, but I wouldn’t read too much into that.”

Boykin played more than Blake against the Broncos. He was on the field for 50 of the defense’s 76 snaps. Blake and Ross Cockrell, who has been the nickel back for most of the season, played 44 snaps.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/22/Steelers-coach-Mike-Tomlin-says-he-ll-start-Blake-over-Boykin-against-Ravens/stories/201512220167

zulater
12-22-2015, 03:14 PM
What's the definition of insanity again? ....:frusty:

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 03:17 PM

steelcityboyz
12-22-2015, 03:17 PM
:crazy: wow

steelreserve
12-22-2015, 03:20 PM
What's the definition of insanity again? ....:frusty:

Arguing with your girlfriend. But this is right up there.

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 03:22 PM
The numbers of snap in the second half against Denver.....

SteelMember
12-22-2015, 03:34 PM
He better be saying this as a smoke screen for opponent game prep, because if he's serious... he's a fucking idiot

In reality, he's probably figuring Blake can get some reps against a decimated offense. And if he can't hack that... well, who the hell knows. He probably gets another start, you know, just to make sure he stinks. :cool:

st33lersguy
12-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Mike Tomlin, you are one stupid mother%%%er. Tomlin watches as the Steelers defense plays infinitely better with Boykin than Blake and has watched as Blake has played like utter vomit, yet this idiot still insists on going with Blake. Is he taking Baltimore so lightly that he wants everyone to know that on Tuesday???

HollywoodSteel
12-22-2015, 04:25 PM
I don't see why everyone's bashing Tomlin. He is unselfishly trying to provide viewers with a more exciting game. :)

salamander
12-22-2015, 04:26 PM
He's a fucking moron.

86WARD
12-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Not sure why everyone is upset...it's "The Standard".

GBMelBlount
12-22-2015, 04:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GL9JnpQ.jpg

zulater
12-22-2015, 05:01 PM
If Tomlin didn't have this blind spot for Blake I would suggest this is possibly the best year of his career and he deserves strong consideration for Coach of the Year.

Count Steeler
12-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Hard to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. Maybe he wants to have the worst rated CB. Go for it Blake. Prove papa proud.

Steel Peon
12-22-2015, 06:23 PM
While I really like Boykin, the comparison to Blake is invalid because Boykin doesn't replace Blake when he enters the game. Who Boykin actually replaces is Gay, who the moves to the outside, and then Cockrell fills Blake's spot. Do these writers even know this? Do you guys?

hawaiiansteeler
12-22-2015, 06:26 PM
While I really like Boykin, the comparison to Blake is invalid because Boykin doesn't replace Blake when he enters the game. Who Boykin actually replaces is Gay, who the moves to the outside, and then Cockrell fills Blake's spot. Do these writers even know this? Do you guys?

yes, we do.

you're arguing semantics...

Texasteel
12-22-2015, 06:47 PM

Where I may not have a great football mind like some of you. Point seems to be, Boykin in, Blake out, and the defense plays much better.

st33lersguy
12-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Regardless of who replaces who, Burntwon Blake needs to sit out. Frankly 2013-14 Ike Taylor would be considered an upgrade over Blake

steelreserve
12-22-2015, 09:20 PM

In other words, Boykin replaces Blake. Then switches positions with Gay. Sometimes. They also used Boykin on the outside some in the last game. No, this is not news to anyone.

The point is that you take Blake out and you have substantially improved the defense by removing the weakest link by far.

Psycho Ward 86
12-22-2015, 09:26 PM
remember when some people suggested in the middle of the season that maybe boykin isnt that good and is sitting on the bench over blake for that very reason?

Pepperidge farm remembers

86WARD
12-22-2015, 10:12 PM

Lol. Shocking...I don't think anyone knew that. Thanks for the education!

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2015, 12:52 AM
Just to trying to find some reasoning to this decision, "start" might not mean all that much. It means he plays the first defensive snap. But maybe the reason Tomlin is doing it in this game is an effort to build Blake's confidence, and give him one more chance to prove himself against a team we'll have no problem scoring on, and making up for any of Blake's mistakes early on. Remember, Tomlin isn't promising he'll keep Blake in if he continues to show us the worst he has to offer. I assume that we won't wait until halftime this go around.

cold-hard-steel
12-23-2015, 02:36 AM
I support Tomlin on this. Like they say Gay was on the grill not all that long ago. Find out if he's "Blake the fake " or just a safety posing as a cb.

86WARD
12-23-2015, 05:24 AM
iKYEYL5YV5E

whodat1
12-23-2015, 06:42 AM
Blake; He can't tackle anything that doesn't go down with a shoulder bump and couldn't cover a bed with a blanket. Does he even have real hands?

Honestly, I feel an irresistible urge to pick up my phone and call the burn unit every time I see him line up 12 yards off the receiver.

Drazo85
12-23-2015, 06:48 AM
Just to trying to find some reasoning to this decision, "start" might not mean all that much. It means he plays the first defensive snap. But maybe the reason Tomlin is doing it in this game is an effort to build Blake's confidence, and give him one more chance to prove himself against a team we'll have no problem scoring on, and making up for any of Blake's mistakes early on. Remember, Tomlin isn't promising he'll keep Blake in if he continues to show us the worst he has to offer. I assume that we won't wait until halftime this go around.
Maybe, but it's sure strange that Tomlin has that much confidence in Blake, and wants to give him chance after chance, while he lost confindence in Cortez Allen almost immediately. Don't get me wrong, Allen was bad, but Blake isn't much better, if is better in the first place. At least Allen showed he can play in the league. So the standard isn't same for all players. Some of them get unlimited time and number of chances, and some of them are put on the IR for injuries they don't have for two years in row.

MrPgh
12-23-2015, 08:05 AM
You're all painting this with a broad brush. The standard is the standard. Such is life in the National Football League.

polamalubeast
12-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Regardless of who replaces who, Burntwon Blake needs to sit out. Frankly 2013-14 Ike Taylor would be considered an upgrade over Blake

Same for the 2014 Cortez Allen.....

SteelMember
12-23-2015, 08:22 AM
iKYEYL5YV5E

Careful... those lines can be slick.

- - - Updated - - -

You're all painting this with a broad brush. The standard is the standard. Such is life in the National Football League.

Even at this juncture? after reviewing the tape... with due diligence?

86WARD
12-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Blake is superior in the Combat Catch Category.

teegre
12-23-2015, 08:37 AM
After a great second half of coaching against the Broncos, the boo birds were scrapping for reasons to scream "Fire Tomlin!!!"

Tomlin in is simply giving them a Christmas present, in the form of announcing that Blake will start... so that people can bitch & moan. Tomlin even made this announcement as early as possible, so that people have an entire week to post away.

Merry Christmas :wink02:

(btw: If Blake actually plays more snaps then Boykin, then it isn't merely a Christmas present... it's a Hannakuh present, too :lol: )

Steelman
12-23-2015, 08:45 AM
This whole Blake situation is so absurd it's almost laughable at this point. If the Denver couldn't change Tomlin's mind then I think it's a hopeless cause. I just hope Blake doesn't cost us a game.

I support Tomlin on this. Like they say Gay was on the grill not all that long ago. Find out if he's "Blake the fake " or just a safety posing as a cb.

You keep saying this but I honestly have no clue how you can believe Blake would make a good safety.

I also don't understand how 14 games of tape and stats can't tell you that he's definitely fake.

tube517
12-23-2015, 08:53 AM
After a great second half of coaching against the Broncos, the boo birds were scrapping for reasons to scream "Fire Tomlin!!!"

Tomlin in is simply giving them a Christmas present, in the form of announcing that Blake will start... so that people can bitch & moan. Tomlin even made this announcement as early as possible, so that people have an entire week to post away.

Merry Christmas :wink02:

(btw: If Blake actually plays more snaps then Boykin, then it isn't merely a Christmas present... it's a Hannakuh present, too :lol: )

When Blake allows a TD, it will be a Festivus gift and then we can all air our grievances :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-23-2015, 08:56 AM
When Blake allows a TD, it will be a Festivus gift and then we can all air our grievances :chuckle:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GjrrrvwW7Ys/hqdefault.jpg

:chuckle:

steelreserve
12-23-2015, 11:04 AM

Was it a great second half of coaching? Or just that the first-half coaching was so horrific that even a halfway decent effort looked great by comparison? Because really, anyone but an idiot should have seen we had a gigantic, testicle-crushing problem and what it was. I think everyone NOT wearing a headset on the Steelers sideline had it spotted by the second touchdown, not the fourth.

teegre
12-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Was it a great second half of coaching? Or just that the first-half coaching was so horrific that even a halfway decent effort looked great by comparison? Because really, anyone but an idiot should have seen we had a gigantic, testicle-crushing problem and what it was. I think everyone NOT wearing a headset on the Steelers sideline had it spotted by the second touchdown, not the fourth.

Case in point.

steelreserve
12-23-2015, 12:38 PM
Case in point.

So basically, "No one has the right to complain about the first half because of the second?"

I mean, if it was an hour before your parents got there for Christmas, and I got stoned and stepped in a huge pile of brand-new smelly dogshit and then walked across your carpet ... and then I did a great cleaning job to get it spotless a few minutes before they arrived ... which is the more likely reaction?

"Hey, you remember that guy steelreserve from the message board?"

a) "Oh, you mean the one that's great at cleaning up dogshit?"
b) "You mean the idiot that smeared dogshit on your carpet on Christmas Day?"

Acknowledging the good and ignoring the bad is just as lame as the other way around.

fansince'76
12-23-2015, 12:46 PM
I mean, if it was an hour before your parents got there for Christmas, and I got stoned and stepped in a huge pile of brand-new smelly dogshit and then walked across your carpet ... and then I did a great cleaning job to get it spotless a few minutes before they arrived ... which is the more likely reaction?

Where do you come up with these "scenarios?" :lol:

Mojouw
12-23-2015, 12:52 PM
I love how people are acting like coverage schemes were all that shifted for the second half of the Denver game. Here all all of the things that got better:

1. Coverage schemes
2. Pass rush
3. Offensive line blocking
4. run defense
5. pass routes

But, yeah, let's concentrate on the pass coverage. Because it is easy.

tube517
12-23-2015, 12:56 PM

I actually saw this scenario in college but not on Christmas Day. At least the getting stoned and stepping in doo doo part. :chuckle: :poop:

steelreserve
12-23-2015, 01:03 PM

I do a lot of thinking about dogshit in my spare time.

Shoes
12-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Not to worry. Tomlin will start his son Blake. After Blake misses 6 high one arm tackles and gives up a TD or two, Dad will bench him. Then repeat and rinse with the Browns. Masterful coaching.

cold-hard-steel
12-23-2015, 01:15 PM
This whole Blake situation is so absurd it's almost laughable at this point. If the Denver couldn't change Tomlin's mind then I think it's a hopeless cause. I just hope Blake doesn't cost us a game.

You keep saying this but I honestly have no clue how you can believe Blake would make a good safety.

I also don't understand how 14 games of tape and stats can't tell you that he's definitely fake.

Well my "steel brother" it's like this. To read all the backlash about "Blake" making all his missed assignments and what have you,i reached into my own experience as a young cb. He is not a cover corner.We do have a knack of playing some players out of position.My call is" Blake the Fake " cornerback finds his redemption at a natural safety position.

cold-hard-steel
12-23-2015, 01:33 PM
We all have some weak links , and most of us hate to have them pointed out .But hey that's just me . I have no choice but to back the young guy up . He does make some plays .Believe me when i tell you he is in there for a reason . Nobody gave up on him ,not his team mates , not his coach , or coaches . Only ones i can see that gave up on him is the ones who criticize him. If he gives up on his self then we got some problems. More than i think any of you analytical critics would like to spend your time dealing with .

Psycho Ward 86
12-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Careful... those lines can be slick.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously

cold-hard-steel
12-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Maybe i ain't artistic or poetic or even hollywoodistic ,but i have to agree with Deangelo on this one. Sit back and relax and enjoy the show .Bitch and moan all you like , but let me enjoy this show my team is premiering. New episode each week.

Rotorhead
12-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Well I played CB in HS and Div 1 college as well, and I know from MIDDLE SCHOOL that you do not tackle up high and you wrap up on your tackles. No matter if the player is Calvin Johnson size or AB size. If you throw yourself at someone who has even a modicum of skill you are going to look like a fool most of the time. If you attempt a correct tackle then the worst you can do is slow the person up so someone else can make the play. As for coverage, he is rarely in position, he is constantly beat deep (his plays came on short field position or designed short plays). If he would simply jam the WR's he would get beat much less. I was a much less experienced CB than Blake and I learned to read the body language of a WR to anticipate the ball coming, it isn't that hard to do. As for the reference to Gay, yes Gay was much maligned for getting beat deep in his early years, that is why he is primarily covering the slot WR. I am sure he will get beat deep again, but teams are not currently targeting or game planning for Gay like they are Blake. Look, it is obvious teams are literally targeting Blake, I am fairly certain when QB's see a 1-on-1 match up with Blake and ANY WR, they are going to throw in that direction most of the time. I would, and our team would if Blake was the opposing CB.

cold-hard-steel
12-23-2015, 02:42 PM
There is only one way to tackle. Thats it . Take the guy with the ball down. Period. I can't keep on beatin a dead horse man. "Blake the Fake" is a safety in transition till Senquez gets into camp. Just please enjoy the show our proud team is displaying for our enjoyment.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Well I played CB in HS and Div 1 college as well, and I know from MIDDLE SCHOOL that you do not tackle up high and you wrap up on your tackles. No matter if the player is Calvin Johnson size or AB size. If you throw yourself at someone who has even a modicum of skill you are going to look like a fool most of the time. If you attempt a correct tackle then the worst you can do is slow the person up so someone else can make the play. As for coverage, he is rarely in position, he is constantly beat deep (his plays came on short field position or designed short plays). If he would simply jam the WR's he would get beat much less. I was a much less experienced CB than Blake and I learned to read the body language of a WR to anticipate the ball coming, it isn't that hard to do. As for the reference to Gay, yes Gay was much maligned for getting beat deep in his early years, that is why he is primarily covering the slot WR. I am sure he will get beat deep again, but teams are not currently targeting or game planning for Gay like they are Blake. Look, it is obvious teams are literally targeting Blake, I am fairly certain when QB's see a 1-on-1 match up with Blake and ANY WR, they are going to throw in that direction most of the time. I would, and our team would if Blake was the opposing CB.

Maybe you've inadvertently hit on something here. Tomlin announces early in the week that Blake is the starter. So Ravens game plan all week to target him. Maybe Tomlin is setting a trap. As simple as pulling Blake early, or disguise something. Make it look like their receiver has Blake one on one, but Steelers wait for snap and QB to find his target , then have one guy run to jump the route and another to double Blake.

teegre
12-23-2015, 04:25 PM
So basically, "No one has the right to complain about the first half because of the second?"

Acknowledging the good and ignoring the bad is just as lame as the other way around.

After XLIII, some were harping on Ike/Troy giving up that go-ahead TD to Fitzgerald. If you read some of the comments back then, you'd have thought that the Steelers lost that game.

This week has been similar. :huh:

More that merely "Boykin replacing Blake" occurred at halftime. For example, in the first half, Heyward and Tuitt were inches from sacking Osweiler, who in turn, scored 4 TDs; whereas, in the second half, Heyward and Tuitt disrupted Osweiler's timing.

Likewise, the OLBs started getting pressure. The ILBs started tackling. The safeties weren't overreacting and/or running the wrong way. And, YES, Boykin replaced Blake.

So, using the dog shit analogy...
Steelreserve re-wrapped the gifts that drunk Uncle Sneddly had wrapped in newspaper... as well as baking the turkey, which everyone had forgotten to put into the oven. He also picked up Aunt Tilda from the airport, and strung all twenty strands of lights on the house. Yet, all that anyone in the family harps on is the fact that he stepped in dog shit (which, by the way, he cleaned up).

hawaiiansteeler
12-23-2015, 04:25 PM
Maybe you've inadvertently hit on something here. Tomlin announces early in the week that Blake is the starter. So Ravens game plan all week to target him. Maybe Tomlin is setting a trap. As simple as pulling Blake early, or disguise something. Make it look like their receiver has Blake one on one, but Steelers wait for snap and QB to find his target , then have one guy run to jump the route and another to double Blake.

could very well be, Tomlin being the slick poker-player that he is...

http://blog.pokerjunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/bad_poker.jpg

Shoes
12-23-2015, 04:51 PM
After XLIII, some were harping on Ike/Troy giving up that go-ahead TD to Fitzgerald. If you read some of the comments back then, you'd have thought that the Steelers lost that game.

More that merely "Boykin replacing Blake" occurred at halftime. For example, in the first half, Heyward and Tuitt were inches from sacking Osweiler, who in turn, scored 4 TDs; whereas, in the second half, Heyward and Tuitt disrupted Osweiler's timing.

Likewise, the OLBs started getting pressure. The ILBs started tackling. The safeties weren't overreacting and/or running the wrong way. And, YES, Boykin replaced Blake.

Steelreserve re-wrapped the gifts that drunk Uncle Sneddly had wrapped in newspaper... as well as baking the turkey, which everyone had forgotten to put into the oven. He also picked up Aunt Tilda from the airport, and strung all twenty strands of lights on the house. Yet, all that anyone in the family harps on is the fact that he stepped in dog shit (which, by the way, he cleaned up).

I could be wrong but the only difference I could see changing the 1st & 2nd half is Blake being removed and Joey Porter's fire & brimstone halftime speech. That made the difference.

Mojouw
12-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Well there is also the fact that the safeties and corners started pressing, the pass rush hit and rattled Brock. And the Steelers o line started blocking better.

But, yeah it was Boykin and a speech. Bottom line-the first half very few adequately executed their assignments. Second half almost everyone excelled at their assignment. Pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelreserve
12-23-2015, 05:36 PM

So was Tomlin the one rushing the passer and making tackles? Or was that the players executing?

The right dogshit analogy would be more like, Steelreserve stepped in dogshit and got it all over the presents, and the turkey, and the Christmas lights, and Aunt Tilda. So while everyone was standing around covered in dogshit, nothing got done. Then Steelreserve cleaned up the dogshit, and drunk Uncle Sneddly wrapped the presents, Jimmy baked the turkey and put up the Christmas lights, and Aunt Tilda hitchhiked home from the airport. But man, that dogshit kept everyone from doing their job. (The dogshit was the game plan and one certain starting DB.)

What I saw in the first half vs. the second was not just that there was a personnel change, but the things we were doing in the first half started working a lot better because of that change. First half - Osweilier under pressure, but there's a guy wide open and you quickly unload it to him; there's no way to miss. Second half - that guy is covered well enough to make the QB hesitate; the pressure works and the play is messed up. First half - safeties are gambling because they have to overcompensate for bad coverage; Gay and Cockrell are playing tentatively because one wrong step and they've got no backup. Second half - they're all playing with confidence that the other players are going to be where they're supposed to. No, it wasn't just Blake's inability to cover one guy at a time. His presence was causing a series of cascading failures that made the whole defense collapse.

Shoes
12-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Well there is also the fact that the safeties and corners started pressing, the pass rush hit and rattled Brock. And the Steelers o line started blocking better.

But, yeah it was Boykin and a speech. Bottom line-the first half very few adequately executed their assignments. Second half almost everyone excelled at their assignment. Pretty simple.

Joey has two things the other coaches (besides Lake) don't have, expressive fire (which is contagious...thank God) and experience as a Steeler football player. Just what these guys need. I'm delighted he's part of this team.

Count Steeler
12-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Yes, if the players execute, all is well. However, you can't diminish the impact of Porter's speech. What other impetus is there for explaining how a team looked like they were sleeping in the first half and came out on fire in the second. I don't think you can attribute that change to a collective visit to the toilet. We don't know if there were other speeches or just coaches getting to their guys and saying, "Come on, let's get it going". Something definitely happened in that locker room at the half.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2015, 08:00 PM

I think it's that the thread itself is about Tomlin's decision making, and the frustration some fans have with that. Many fans believe that Blake's many "below the line" performances, including one we just saw, probably hurt the team to at least some degree. So the fact that Tomlin is sticking with Blake as a starter after all that, might reasonably lead one to believe Tomlin's judgement is flawed. At least about this.

In a thread about the whole team's performance, where we try to analyze what went right and what went wrong, I agree with you that the Blake/Boykin thing would not be the only aspect worth discussing.

Steeldude
12-23-2015, 08:55 PM
I think it's that the thread itself is about Tomlin's decision making, and the frustration some fans have with that. Many fans believe that Blake's many "below the line" performances, including one we just saw, probably hurt the team to at least some degree. So the fact that Tomlin is sticking with Blake as a starter after all that, might reasonably lead one to believe Tomlin's judgement is flawed. At least about this.

In a thread about the whole team's performance, where we try to analyze what went right and what went wrong, I agree with you that the Blake/Boykin thing would not be the only aspect worth discussing.

And he would have stuck with Vick if he didn't get hurt.

hawaiiansteeler
12-24-2015, 02:26 PM

Mike Tomlin picked up Ryan Mallett on his fantasy football team for this Sunday and I hear he's going to start him...

B&GFever
12-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Blake will start because Tomlin has no idea how to recognize talent in the secondary and God forbid he take the helmet away from his Pet Blake ....

the above is the ONLY possible scenario that does not involve pics ....

and for the Tomlin apologists that will come back at this post and say Derr Fire Tomlin before doing so at the very least give us some other plausible explanation that makes some semblance of football sense because I have exhausted hours of contemplation on this topic and have come up with NOTHING