PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger's elite playmaking offsets growing interception total

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 08:11 AM
In 10 games with Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback, the 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers have averaged 338 passing yards per game (easily the league’s best), posted six straight games of 30 or more points and destructed the Steelers’ age-old model that grinding out games with defense is the way to win.

Roethlisberger has entered a stratosphere few can. Based on per-game averages, he’s producing at a clip of 5,390 yards and 29 touchdowns over a full season.

The only compromised number on his 2015 resume is the interception total. A few curious interceptions have blemished his stat line -- slightly.

Roethlisberger has 12 picks through 10 games, joining Joe Flacco and Peyton Manning as the only quarterbacks with 12 or more while playing 10 or fewer games. A pass thrown into double coverage with 2:01 left gave the Denver Broncos new life Sunday night, though the Steelers defense got a stop to preserve a 34-27 win. Roethlisberger's 1.2 interceptions per game is his highest average since 2006.

This is a minor problem.

Here’s why it’s not a major one: The Steelers can live with the mishaps three percent of the time because the other 97 percent of the time Roethlisberger is so explosive.

They can deal with these numbers as a result: 38, 30, 30, 45, 33, 34. Those are the Steelers' scoring totals since mid-November.

Roethlisberger is attempting about 40 passes per game. These aren't dumpoffs. Most of his throws test the defense. For much of the season, Roethlisberger's passes have traveled nearly 11 yards in the air on average, the highest mark in the league.

He attempted 55 passes against one of the league’s best defenses Sunday. The Steelers got 40 completions, 380 yards and three touchdowns out of those 55 passes. The two turnovers become less important as a result.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/192875/ben-roethlisbergers-elite-playmaking-offsets-growing-interception-total

lotas
12-22-2015, 08:50 AM
It's so great to see how far Ben has come, and how him and Haley have molded this offense into what it is today along with Munchak and the offensive line and the development of our great receivers. We have built every piece in place and now we are seeing the culmination of it all.

My heart sinks for Le'Veon, as I'm sure it's so god damn hard for him to sit at home and watch his boys on this roll. I know he's happy for his team, but every special player wants to contribute, and I'm sure Le'Veon can't wait to get back on the field. We are even that much more dangerous with him on the field.

I think the single most important factor in Ben Roethlisberger's development and especially the second half of his career was the acquisition of Mike Munchak and Todd Haley, and overall gearing the offense to keep Ben upright.

I don't think Ben would be where he is today if we were still running the old school offense with a shitty offensive line. Do you guys remember how often he would get sacked? I mean shit, he was getting tackled as much as a running back in some stretches, and it wasn't always pretty, it was often big hits that were ugly as hell. Munchak and Haley (and Tomlin and the FO) deserve credit for the continued development of Ben Roethlisberger, as they allowed him to continue his style of play while minimizing negative outcomes for him.

86WARD
12-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Take the bad with the good.

slippy
12-22-2015, 09:25 AM
the rebuild and restyling of the O has been nothing short of brilliant. i'm still amazed at how well haley, munch, drafting and retaining the correct receivers and bell has meshed. of course we already had ben to build it around.

for a look at our mirror image that has not worked out very well, take a look at the NY Giants. ouch.

fansince'76
12-22-2015, 09:32 AM
If he dinked and dunked and depended on his receivers to get a ton of YAC like Brady, he'd only throw about 3 INTs a season too. A few more INTs are part and parcel of a vertical offense.

Craic
12-22-2015, 12:26 PM
I think this also proves that it takes time to bring something together. Right now, our defense looks about like our offense two or three years ago. Young talent, but still making mistakes and creating problems.

As for Ben himself, I like the fact he recognizes he made a terrible mistake and needs to be a tad bit more cautious. I also like the fact those around him are telling him not to worry about it and keep being Ben.

If I had to sum up Ben at this point, I'd say: It's pre-ban Ben for on-field pride and persona, post-ban Ben for maturity. By that I mean, he's finally learned how to take the "Big Ben" persona that drove him to do great things in SB XVIII and the playoffs leading up to it and also to SB XL, and matched it with the maturity and off-field understanding of the sport and how to carry himself.

It's the best of both worlds. I can only hope he stays playing at this level for another 5-7 years, but that's stretching it at his age.

Mojouw
12-22-2015, 12:35 PM
I think this also proves that it takes time to bring something together. Right now, our defense looks about like our offense two or three years ago. Young talent, but still making mistakes and creating problems.

As for Ben himself, I like the fact he recognizes he made a terrible mistake and needs to be a tad bit more cautious. I also like the fact those around him are telling him not to worry about it and keep being Ben.

If I had to sum up Ben at this point, I'd say: It's pre-ban Ben for on-field pride and persona, post-ban Ben for maturity. By that I mean, he's finally learned how to take the "Big Ben" persona that drove him to do great things in SB XVIII and the playoffs leading up to it and also to SB XL, and matched it with the maturity and off-field understanding of the sport and how to carry himself.

It's the best of both worlds. I can only hope he stays playing at this level for another 5-7 years, but that's stretching it at his age.

As long as his arm strength remains, I can see him making it another 5 years or so. If he ever loses arm strength, I don't think he has the mentality to make the adjustments to shorter throws, more timing patterns, etc.

Edman
12-22-2015, 01:37 PM
We're winning because of him. That's what matters to me. If the O-Line keeps up this pace and keep him upright, I think he'll be good for another six years.

I know deep down despite his newfound maturity, it's eating Ben up inside that he has yet to win an MVP award of any kind. He wants to get back to a Super Bowl and not only win it, but win MVP too to seal it. Super Bowl XLV wasn't his finer moments for sure.

For his entire career, Ben's been overshadowed by the Defense and other players on the team, he was just considered a cog, a part of the works, and I know it bothers him. He wants to be vindicated as a quarterback.

It's been a tough few years going through a transition in Haley's Offense, but Ben has grown up into being a leader. Now his quest for redemption continues.

zulater
12-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Most of his interceptions this year haven't been of the awful variety. The last one obviously was as bad as one can get. But other than that one given the game situation, circumstances final result, etc...I can't really be too upset with the majority of them.

Just to go over a few, the one Ben threw in the first half against the Broncos. Wheaton got held up slightly by the db on a crossing route. If he has a freer release he's in position to either catch the ball or keep the defender from having an easy play on it.(not complaining about the non call here , I don't mind those kind not being called, just making a point) The one Sherman got off him in Seattle he clearly got away with illegal contact which took AB out of the play. The majority of db's get called on that, but Sherman pretty much gets carte blanche on anything other than an all out tackle before the ball arrives. That one I am bitching about. Then there was the one late in the game against the Bengals in the game we lost. Clearly Ben wasn't at his best that day, but even with that being the case, the one at the end of the game was just a brilliant play by the Bengals defender. I've watched that play a dozen times, Ben puts the ball where it's supposed to go. Just a truly great read and a better reaction by the defender.

I'm too lazy to go over them all right now, but more to the point is this. Ben has thrown more completions into tight windows than any qb I've ever seen in a season this year. He routinely beats double coverage. He has such great rapport with Heath Miller and Antonio it sometimes looks supernatural. Guys will be in perfect coverage and they turn and the ball is delivered where only the intended receiver can make the catch! The last few weeks he's shown he's getting to this same place with Wheaton! Martavis is still a work in progress communication wise, but the talent is just is just so damn good, and they're gradually getting there. And let's not forget DeAngelo. He has been the perfect outlet receiver for this offense. Not quite LeVeon (but no one is, that dude runs routes that put all but a handful of wr's to shame)

Anyway an old phrase from my childhood comes to mind when describing the Steelers offense. No guts no glory. Well the Steelers go for the glory more than anyone else, and it's paying off in a big way (scoreboard) so when it occasionlly derails I can live with it. And so can they.

steelreserve
12-22-2015, 03:32 PM
I don't think they have stats on it, but I'd be willing to bet Ben averages 30+ yards of field position on interceptions. Most of them seem to come trying to make big plays down the field, which is what you'd expect because it's high-risk, high-reward. But it's paid off way more often than not, and that old saying "It's as good as a punt" has come into play several times too, and we haven't been hurt as much because they often end up with the ball on their end of the field anyway.

In other words, 40-yard bombs are where you WANT to throw your interceptions. If you're throwing them on the shorter ones, that's how you get into a lot more trouble.

Psycho Ward 86
12-22-2015, 09:40 PM
I don't think they have stats on it, but I'd be willing to bet Ben averages 30+ yards of field position on interceptions. Most of them seem to come trying to make big plays down the field, which is what you'd expect because it's high-risk, high-reward. But it's paid off way more often than not, and that old saying "It's as good as a punt" has come into play several times too, and we haven't been hurt as much because they often end up with the ball on their end of the field anyway.

In other words, 40-yard bombs are where you WANT to throw your interceptions. If you're throwing them on the shorter ones, that's how you get into a lot more trouble.

i agree that its paid off way more than not, but do you know whats better than a punt?

a 1st down with an offense capable of scoring on every drive. throwing interceptions on shorter throws (i use the word "shorter" lightly because all im saying is 15-20+ yard passes are still deep folks) is not a problem when you hardly throw any of them. which ben wouldnt if he reigned it in just a tad.

we have the best YAC receiving crew in the league. nothing wrong with letting them do some of the work. their skills arent being maximized overall (as a collective group) if they dont have the ball in their hands until 40+ yards downfield. You can argue against that for probably just Martavis, and DHB, but DHB is far down the pecking order of our weapons. I saw somewhere Ben is averaging something like 36.8 yards per attempt on pass plays of 20+ yards? I bet you he would have even more scoring drives with a lot less picks which is insane to think about.

before someone gets mad in response to this, take a good look at how we completely embarassed the best defense in the league

Mojouw
12-23-2015, 01:24 PM
No one is ever going to change the INT frequency for Ben. It is "hardwired" into him so to speak. He has so much faith and confidence in his arm and abilities that he is going to chuck it into any window he even thins he sees.

All I will say is that Favre and Kelly threw a ton of picks as well. They also made plays no one else in their eras would even think about trying.. Another one is Elway. Also a guy who just "knew" he could fit the ball in that window. Sound like any QB we know?

Here are some quick comps (based on INT ratio from Pro Football Reference): showing INT% and Yards per Attempt

Elway 3.1% and 7.1
Kelly 5.1% and 7.1
Favre 3.3% and 7.1
Warren Moon 3.4% and 7.2
Brady 1.9% and 7.5
Montana 2.6% and 7.5
Young 2.6% and 8.0
Peyton 2.7% and 7.7

Eli 3.2% and 7.1
Phil Rivers 2.5% and 7.8

Ben 2.7% and 7.9 (this is ridiculous)

What is my point you ask? Ben's interception rate and yards per attempt stats are totally in line with the major HOF QBs of the recently pass wacky eras of the league. And he is better in these stats then his draft mates (Rivers and Manning).

Looking at it a bit further, Newton, Rodgers, Ben, Eli, Luck, and Wilson are the active QBs that basically throw deeper than anyone else in the league. Maybe add Rivers and Romo into that cluster as well. Ths is based on looking at Yards per attempt and Yards per completion. Only Rodgers with a ridiculous 1.6 % INT rate is throwing INTs at a rate significantly lower than Ben is. Many in this cluster of modern day "bombers" are throwing INTs at a higher rate. The annointed one, Andrew Luck, is chucking picks at almost a 5% rate.

Long story short, what are we complaining about again? Ben is putting up just silly passing numbers this season in a career that compares favorably to ANY HOF QB.

Shoes
12-23-2015, 01:29 PM
No one is ever going to change the INT frequency for Ben. It is "hardwired" into him so to speak. He has so much faith and confidence in his arm and abilities that he is going to chuck it into any window he even thins he sees.

All I will say is that Favre and Kelly threw a ton of picks as well. They also made plays no one else in their eras would even think about trying.. Another one is Elway. Also a guy who just "knew" he could fit the ball in that window. Sound like any QB we know?

Here are some quick comps (based on INT ratio from Pro Football Reference): showing INT% and Yards per Attempt

Elway 3.1% and 7.1
Kelly 5.1% and 7.1
Favre 3.3% and 7.1
Warren Moon 3.4% and 7.2
Brady 1.9% and 7.5
Montana 2.6% and 7.5
Young 2.6% and 8.0
Peyton 2.7% and 7.7

Eli 3.2% and 7.1
Phil Rivers 2.5% and 7.8

Ben 2.7% and 7.9 (this is ridiculous)

What is my point you ask? Ben's interception rate and yards per attempt stats are totally in line with the major HOF QBs of the recently pass wacky eras of the league. And he is better in these stats then his draft mates (Rivers and Manning).

Looking at it a bit further, Newton, Rodgers, Ben, Eli, Luck, and Wilson are the active QBs that basically throw deeper than anyone else in the league. Maybe add Rivers and Romo into that cluster as well. Ths is based on looking at Yards per attempt and Yards per completion. Only Rodgers with a ridiculous 1.6 % INT rate is throwing INTs at a rate significantly lower than Ben is. Many in this cluster of modern day "bombers" are throwing INTs at a higher rate. The annointed one, Andrew Luck, is chucking picks at almost a 5% rate.

Long story short, what are we complaining about again? Ben is putting up just silly passing numbers this season in a career that compares favorably to ANY HOF QB..

Agreed, he made the pro bowl after missing 4 games. I just look at the brain fart he had as a pump fake that got away from him.

HollywoodSteel
12-23-2015, 04:19 PM

I agree with you, but your statement can be just a touch misleading if anyone infers that the suspension was some kind of Godsend that entirely changed his personality and approach to the game because Goodel's politically expedient (therefore justice shmustice) morally reprehensible act. The incident itself, that nearly cost him everything, might have instigated some self evaluation. It was something of a wake up call that he had taken on an arrogant and bullet proof persona of "Big Ben" the football hero that really wasn't the true Ben Roethlisberger. He did say as much, and I tend to believe him since I don't think a man of his age can just decide to have a totally different personality. A tiger can't change his stripes, as we've seen time and time again with tmany other players who get into trouble. Obviously some of them are smart enough to stay out of trouble, or get handlers who keep them out of trouble, in order to keep the job and money coming. Pacman is still Pacman inside even if he asks us to call him Adam.

I really doubt the 4 game suspension did him any favors at all. The only thing it taught him is that being totally innocent might save you from going to prison (but not always in a rape accusation) but innocence means less than nothing to Goodel and the NFL. Maybe Ben assumed, as any moral human being would, that Goodel would appreciate Ben's acknowledgment that his own bad decisions put him in the position for these types of things to happen; akin to walking down an alley in a crime ridden neighborhood covered in gold and jewelry. When you get robbed, your own actions were perfectly innocent but you should never have put yourself in that position. Upon hearing Ben's contrite and sincere promise to the league and to himself that he has seen what a deluded ass he's been lately, but he heard the wakeup call and he is committed to being the real Ben from now on, Ben probably figured he could count on the commissioner to announce loudly to the world: "The NFL takes this case very seriously, but we want to make our position perfectly clear: we will not allow accusations without compelling evidence to paint a target on the backs of NFL players. Make no mistake, if there is sufficient evidence that a player has actually committed a crime, the NFL will punish that player to whatever degree the offense dictates. But also make no mistake that we will not incentivize false accusations by punishing a player without real, hard evidence. No player should feel compelled to pay off an extortionist out of fear for his job, no matter how loud the mob or the media scream for that player's head. Our shield is more than symbolic. It is in fact an actual shield that protects our sport and our players from exploitation and injustice. To tarnish that great shield by acting according to public sentiment our media pressure is a moral line in the sand that WILL NOT BE CROSSED. And as for me, speaking not only as the league's commissioner but as a human being, I would resign without any hesitation before ever crossing that line."

Ask yourself this, if Goodel said something like that, while telling Ben that he'll support Ben as long as he remains committed to cleaning up his act, rather than go with the suspension thing, do you real think Ben's self improvement changes one tiny bit? Does anyone really believe it was the little suspension, rather than the 2nd rape accusation (that could have landed him in prison) was the magic bullet that got him to change his ways? I highly doubt it. Justice and life improvement were not mutually exclusive.

Sorry for picking at something you probably weren't even implying and going off the rails with it. But little things like this, even phrasing, contribute to bias that Ben's suspension was somehow justified based on perceived results.

zulater
12-23-2015, 04:52 PM
I agree with you, but your statement can be just a touch misleading if anyone infers that the suspension was some kind of Godsend that entirely changed his personality and approach to the game because Goodel's politically expedient (therefore justice shmustice) morally reprehensible act. The incident itself, that nearly cost him everything, might have instigated some self evaluation. It was something of a wake up call that he had taken on an arrogant and bullet proof persona of "Big Ben" the football hero that really wasn't the true Ben Roethlisberger. He did say as much, and I tend to believe him since I don't think a man of his age can just decide to have a totally different personality. A tiger can't change his stripes, as we've seen time and time again with tmany other players who get into trouble. Obviously some of them are smart enough to stay out of trouble, or get handlers who keep them out of trouble, in order to keep the job and money coming. Pacman is still Pacman inside even if he asks us to call him Adam.

I really doubt the 4 game suspension did him any favors at all. The only thing it taught him is that being totally innocent might save you from going to prison (but not always in a rape accusation) but innocence means less than nothing to Goodel and the NFL. Maybe Ben assumed, as any moral human being would, that Goodel would appreciate Ben's acknowledgment that his own bad decisions put him in the position for these types of things to happen; akin to walking down an alley in a crime ridden neighborhood covered in gold and jewelry. When you get robbed, your own actions were perfectly innocent but you should never have put yourself in that position. Upon hearing Ben's contrite and sincere promise to the league and to himself that he has seen what a deluded ass he's been lately, but he heard the wakeup call and he is committed to being the real Ben from now on, Ben probably figured he could count on the commissioner to announce loudly to the world: "The NFL takes this case very seriously, but we want to make our position perfectly clear: we will not allow accusations without compelling evidence to paint a target on the backs of NFL players. Make no mistake, if there is sufficient evidence that a player has actually committed a crime, the NFL will punish that player to whatever degree the offense dictates. But also make no mistake that we will not incentivize false accusations by punishing a player without real, hard evidence. No player should feel compelled to pay off an extortionist out of fear for his job, no matter how loud the mob or the media scream for that player's head. Our shield is more than symbolic. It is in fact an actual shield that protects our sport and our players from exploitation and injustice. To tarnish that great shield by acting according to public sentiment our media pressure is a moral line in the sand that WILL NOT BE CROSSED. And as for me, speaking not only as the league's commissioner but as a human being, I would resign without any hesitation before ever crossing that line."

Ask yourself this, if Goodel said something like that, while telling Ben that he'll support Ben as long as he remains committed to cleaning up his act, rather than go with the suspension thing, do you real think Ben's self improvement changes one tiny bit? Does anyone really believe it was the little suspension, rather than the 2nd rape accusation (that could have landed him in prison) was the magic bullet that got him to change his ways? I highly doubt it. Justice and life improvement were not mutually exclusive.

Sorry for picking at something you probably weren't even implying and going off the rails with it. But little things like this, even phrasing, contribute to bias that Ben's suspension was somehow justified based on perceived results.

:applaudit:

polamalubeast
12-24-2015, 09:42 AM
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert to Ben Roethlisberger: Don't ever stop trying to make plays

It is the fourth quarter and the Pittsburgh Steelers have a chance to ice the game away with just over 2:00 minutes left in the game. First down, they run the football for little-to-no gain. Second down they call a pass play. Ben Roethlisberger is flushed to his left, and as he throws to DeAngelo Williams...and is intercepted.

The entire Pittsburgh Steelers fan base, and Heinz Field, fell silent. They couldn't believe what they just saw from their franchise quarterback. Luckily, the Steelers defense was able to stand tall and give the team their 9th win of the season, but the play had a lasting impact on the Steelers' signal caller.

On his weekly radio show on 93.7 The Fan, Roethlisberger talked about an exchange with GM Kevin Colbert in the locker room following the game.

"I said, ‘Boy I just gotta stop trying to make so many plays.' He goes, ‘No you don't. Don't stop. That's what we live by and die by, and you've done too much, too many good things to stop. Don't ever stop doing it.' So, it just makes you feel good when your GM is someone that has that much faith and trust and belief in you, too."

read more

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/12/24/10649804/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-to-ben-roethlisberger-dont-ever-stop-trying

Craic
12-25-2015, 03:40 AM

Like it or not, that situation, including the suspension, got Ben's head tied on right. Before that he was doing stupid things and putting himself in stupid situations that one day would have bit him in the ass. There's been a dramatic maturity shift that resulted directly from the time spent in MANDATED counseling as part of the suspension. And, those aren't my words, but as you sad, Ben admitted it himself. We can bury our head all we want, but he became an entitled pompous prick until someone pricked him for a four game suspension. Justified or not, it was the best damn thing that could have happened to him.

I know, I know, I can already īmagine a few apologists foaming at the mouth to declare Ben's complete and absolute innocence at every turn of every situation. Frankly, I don't care. And don't want to bother with a conversation derailing this thread. But I did want to answer your above post. And, my tl;dr answer is. Ben would be thanking God Himself for that suspension, because it was the wake up call he needed.

BnG_Hevn
12-25-2015, 05:30 AM
In 10 games with Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback, the 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers have averaged 338 passing yards per game (easily the league’s best), posted six straight games of 30 or more points and destructed the Steelers’ age-old model that grinding out games with defense is the way to win.

Roethlisberger has entered a stratosphere few can. Based on per-game averages, he’s producing at a clip of 5,390 yards and 29 touchdowns over a full season.

The only compromised number on his 2015 resume is the interception total. A few curious interceptions have blemished his stat line -- slightly.

Roethlisberger has 12 picks through 10 games, joining Joe Flacco and Peyton Manning as the only quarterbacks with 12 or more while playing 10 or fewer games. A pass thrown into double coverage with 2:01 left gave the Denver Broncos new life Sunday night, though the Steelers defense got a stop to preserve a 34-27 win. Roethlisberger's 1.2 interceptions per game is his highest average since 2006.

This is a minor problem.

Here’s why it’s not a major one: The Steelers can live with the mishaps three percent of the time because the other 97 percent of the time Roethlisberger is so explosive.

They can deal with these numbers as a result: 38, 30, 30, 45, 33, 34. Those are the Steelers' scoring totals since mid-November.

Roethlisberger is attempting about 40 passes per game. These aren't dumpoffs. Most of his throws test the defense. For much of the season, Roethlisberger's passes have traveled nearly 11 yards in the air on average, the highest mark in the league.

He attempted 55 passes against one of the league’s best defenses Sunday. The Steelers got 40 completions, 380 yards and three touchdowns out of those 55 passes. The two turnovers become less important as a result.

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/192875/ben-roethlisbergers-elite-playmaking-offsets-growing-interception-total

Without the defense coming up to the plate against Denver, the Steelers don't win that game. The Broncos scored everytime, the Steelers didn't match them score for score.

I took that as implying that the Steelers offense can simply outscore other teams, when that is totally not the case.