PDA

View Full Version : Ravens won't have trouble getting motivated for Steelers

hawaiiansteeler
12-22-2015, 12:40 AM
Ravens won't have trouble getting motivated for Steelers

By DAVID GINSBURG (AP Sports Writer)
AP - Sports

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/UnDTk3pmfe2TdfYnHatn5Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztmaT1maWxsO2g9NjE0O3B5b2ZmPT A7cT03NTt3PTk2MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201512201356501775780

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Though the injury-depleted Baltimore Ravens are short of talent, they won't be lacking incentive Sunday when the Steelers come to town.

''Obviously it's going to be a game that's very important to us,'' coach John Harbaugh said Monday. ''It's a rivalry game. It's the Pittsburgh Steelers. We understand they're coming in here with a lot at stake.''

Pittsburgh (9-5) has won three straight and five of six to move into position for at least an AFC wild-card berth. With a victory Sunday and a loss by the New York Jets, the Steelers are in.

The Ravens (4-10), conversely, are assured their worst season since a 5-11 finish in 2007 - Brian Billick's final year as head coach.

''It's rivalry week, so we don't care what our record is,'' linebacker Elvis Dumervil said. ''We definitely want this one. That's what we'll be working on this week.''

Back in October, the Ravens beat Pittsburgh 23-20 in overtime for their first win of the season. The victory gave Baltimore hope that it could rebound from an 0-3 start, but it turned out to be merely a brief escape from a dreadful season filled with injuries, turnovers and defeats.

Several of the Ravens' standouts in that first meeting won't be around for the rematch. Quarterback Joe Flacco, running back Justin Forsett, wide receiver Steve Smith and left tackle Eugene Monroe are among 18 currently players on injured reserve.

The roster shuffle finally caught up to the Ravens two weeks ago, when they lost 35-6 at home to Seattle. On Sunday, Baltimore absorbed a 34-14 drubbing from the visiting Kansas City Chiefs.

The three-game homestand comes to a merciful end Sunday. At this point in the season, Baltimore has little left to play for but pride - and beating the hated Steelers.

''We're going to keep playing. We're not going to back down,'' defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan said. ''They're going to have to take it from us; they're not coming in here and just beating us. We're going to get ready to fight.''

When these two teams get together, the scuffling occasionally extends to the stands. Harbaugh knows a solid contingent of Steelers fans will make the trip south, but he's counting on Ravens backers to stand by their team.

''It's our home game, so I expect most of our fans to be there. I think they'll be fired up,'' Harbaugh said. ''One thing I've learned through all this is I don't believe we have fair-weather fans. That's, to me, very evident. I've been grateful for the response our team has gotten.''

Pittsburgh leads the series 24-18, including 3-1 in the postseason, but the Ravens beat the Steelers in the playoffs on the road last season before prevailing in October.

Harbaugh said he might wait until Sunday to announce his starting quarterback. Matt Schaub, Jimmy Clausen and Ryan Mallett are all in the mix.

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ravens-wont-trouble-getting-motivated-steelers-225846665--nfl.html

BigBen2004
12-22-2015, 04:16 AM
Being "ready" for us won't beat us. Pittsburgh is far more talented, healthy, and you just know Ben has missed that porous secondary.

I really don't even know if this will be close. If it is, it'll be because we are shooting ourselves in the foot, only to pull away at the end. Either way, I see Pittsburgh winning by at least two possessions.

They're playing for "pride" and "the rivalry". While, we're playing for January (and possibly February) football. We have more on the line. Pittsburgh will be ready.

fansince'76
12-22-2015, 04:24 AM
Being "ready" for us won't beat us. Pittsburgh is far more talented, healthy, and you just know Ben has missed that porous secondary.

I really don't even know if this will be close. If it is, it'll be because we are shooting ourselves in the foot, only to pull away at the end. Either way, I see Pittsburgh winning by at least two possessions.

They're playing for "pride" and "the rivalry". While, we're playing for January (and possibly February) football. We have more on the line. Pittsburgh will be ready.

True, and even a lot of their players that the rivalry actually meant anything to are either gone or just won't be playing due to injury. I'm starting to feel better and better about this game.

salamander
12-22-2015, 05:26 AM
There's still the feeling of "trap game" in the back of my mind. But hey, that's just me.

Steeldude
12-22-2015, 07:07 AM
There's still the feeling of "trap game" in the back of my mind. But hey, that's just me.

I have that feeling also. They better not come out flat or cocky.

tube517
12-22-2015, 07:10 AM
I never feel comfortable about any division game

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

lotas
12-22-2015, 08:59 AM
The Steelers should just play the tape of the last Ravens game on repeat on every TV in the facility all week long. Should be all the motivation they need ;)

86WARD
12-22-2015, 09:18 AM
It's a trap game. It's a division game, it's in Baltimore. This is the Ravens Super Bowl. This has all the makings...

Hopefully this team rises above that.

tube517
12-22-2015, 10:03 AM
It's a trap game. It's a division game, it's in Baltimore. This is the Ravens Super Bowl. This has all the makings...

Hopefully this team rises above that.

In honor of Star Wars month:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/apocalypse-rising-reawakening/images/e/e9/IT'S_A_TRAP.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150523170436

MrPgh
12-22-2015, 10:10 AM
It's the Ravens' Super Bowl? Not possible if Clausen starts.

steel striker
12-22-2015, 10:58 AM
No doubt it's the ravens super bowl

Steelman
12-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Didn't they already have their Super Bowl against us this year? This team has been decimated since then. Not saying they won't play us tough, but they already had their signature win.

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Didn't they already have their Super Bowl against us this year? This team has been decimated since then. Not saying they won't play us tough, but they already had their signature win.

It was against Vick....