PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown - Should He At Least Be In the Discussion for League MVP?

dislocatedday
12-21-2015, 12:54 PM
First, I think Cam Newton is likely going to be the league MVP and he deserves it IMO. However, it puzzles me why I never even hear AB mentioned as a possibility this season. I hear the name of other QBs mentioned (Brady, Carson Palmer, even Andy Dalton), but never AB. The only non-QB I ever see get a mention for this season is Rob Gronkowski. It's not a big deal at the end of the day, but AB is doing absolutely monstrous, dominating things this season on the field, and his stats are eye-popping............so it seems like his name should at least be mentioned as a candidate.

Psycho Ward 86
12-21-2015, 01:03 PM
because he's a receiver and only Jerry Rice has managed to pull it off. And that was when he accounted for like 70% of Montana's TD's

Gotta give it to Cam. I always respected him as an athlete, but never as a QB. Until this season. He's taken his game to another level

fansince'76
12-21-2015, 01:05 PM
However, it puzzles me why I never even hear AB mentioned as a possibility this season.

The explanation is quite simple, really. AB still doesn't get the full respect he deserves in many quarters as even being the best in the league at his position (never mind being named NFL MVP) because he isn't 6'5" and he probably never will:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000542521/article/julio-jones-headlines-list-of-top-10-wide-receivers (here he's ranked 2nd behind Julio Jones)

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/30/position-rankings-wide-receivers-dez-bryant-antonio-brown (here he's ranked 2nd behind Dez Bryant)

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-5-best-nfl-wide-receivers-in-the-game-right-now.html/?a=viewall (here he's ranked 3rd behind Calvin johnson and Dez Bryant)

Getting physically manhandled by Richard Sherman a couple weeks back doesn't help his cause either, especially when a guy like Calvin Johnson would've probably knocked him on his ass.

steelreserve
12-21-2015, 01:14 PM
They'll give it to Cam Newton for sure.

For a receiver to win the MVP, it would take a 2,000-yard season with 15 touchdowns. If Calvin Johnson didn't win it in 2011 or 2012, Brown's not going to get it this year.

What's amazing to me is that Brown's actually having a BETTER season this year than last year, despite the huge handicap of playing with backup QBs for a third of his games. If the Michael Vick games were replaced with typical Brown performances, he'd be sitting at about 1,800 yards right now with a legitimate shot to crack 2,000. Not to mention our team would probably be more like 11-3 right now and firmly in control of the division instead of fighting for a wild card - which, like it or not, also factors heavily into the voters' decision.

steel striker
12-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Ab is the best WR in football and, nobody runs better pass patterns than AB. Much like Ben never gets the respect he deserves.

tube517
12-21-2015, 01:17 PM
Will he win it? Of course not.

Should he be in the discussion? Yes.

polamalubeast
12-21-2015, 02:05 PM
They'll give it to Cam Newton for sure.

For a receiver to win the MVP, it would take a 2,000-yard season with 15 touchdowns. If Calvin Johnson didn't win it in 2011 or 2012, Brown's not going to get it this year.

What's amazing to me is that Brown's actually having a BETTER season this year than last year, despite the huge handicap of playing with backup QBs for a third of his games. If the Michael Vick games were replaced with typical Brown performances, he'd be sitting at about 1,800 yards right now with a legitimate shot to crack 2,000. Not to mention our team would probably be more like 11-3 right now and firmly in control of the division instead of fighting for a wild card - which, like it or not, also factors heavily into the voters' decision.

Antonio Brown's numbers would be more insane if he played a full season with Ben Roethlisberger, who missed four games. The two average about 9.9 catches and 135 yards per game this season - that's 158 catches and 2,160 over 16 games. Unfair.

http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0470616082298705460-4

ALLD
12-21-2015, 02:40 PM
When AB goes to work every morning he walks past 6 Lombardi trophies, not MVP awards. As a matter of fact, Newton has been excellent this season, but he hasn't really won anything yet other than some games in the regular season.

Rotorhead
12-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Well, if he can keep this up for next year, I can see that discussion coming up a little more. I think everyone is starting to realize he is the best WR in the league. You see all the polls listed, AB is #2 or #3 on all of them, they all have different #1's. If AB puts together another couple of seasons like the last two (and our team stays relatively healthy) he will be in the Jerry Rice discussion, not just MVP discussion.

86WARD
12-21-2015, 03:41 PM
You can put him in the conversation, but Newton gets it and deserves it. It's Newton and then there's the discussion.

SteelerFanInStl
12-21-2015, 03:43 PM
It doesn't matter because he would never get it anyway. It's just like last year when Ben didn't get a single vote for MVP but Romo did.

No Steelers player will ever win the MVP. It's as much of a popularity contest as any other award.

zulater
12-21-2015, 05:09 PM
The explanation is quite simple, really. AB still doesn't get the full respect he deserves in many quarters as even being the best in the league at his position (never mind being named NFL MVP) because he isn't 6'5" and he probably never will:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000542521/article/julio-jones-headlines-list-of-top-10-wide-receivers (here he's ranked 2nd behind Julio Jones)

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/07/30/position-rankings-wide-receivers-dez-bryant-antonio-brown (here he's ranked 2nd behind Dez Bryant)

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-5-best-nfl-wide-receivers-in-the-game-right-now.html/?a=viewall (here he's ranked 3rd behind Calvin johnson and Dez Bryant)

Getting physically manhandled by Richard Sherman a couple weeks back doesn't help his cause either, especially when a guy like Calvin Johnson would've probably knocked him on his ass.

When AB got "manhandled" by Sherman he still managed 5 catches for over 60 yards. Plus there was one play where for some reason Ben didn't look AB's way ( he had time too) where he had got completely behind the Seahawk defense, if Ben recognizes the coverage in time it's an easy 6. I think it would have been about a 60 yard play.

And I get where you're coming from with manhandled. If Sherman had to play by the same rules mere mortal db's have to he gets called for at least 4 penalties that game, including one that should have wiped out Ben's one interception.

If you play by the rules, and Ben and AB are both healthy they are in fact unstoppable!

Now as to league MVP. Yeah he should be in the conversation. I'm not sure how the NFL votes though? For example in baseball I know you list multiple candidates in order of preference from like 1-8 or maybe 10? Anyway a first place vote counts for 10 points say, a second place vote 9 etc... down the line. I might be wrong, but I think you just name one man on your ballot in football. Be that the case then Cam Newton runs away with it, with Brady a distant second. Maybe Carson Palmer picks up a vote or two?

So doing the vote the way football does I really don;t see him being in the discussion. And plus Ben's absence proved who has the most value on the Steelers. And it ain't AB, great as he is. With crap qb's throwing him the ball he can't carry the team. He's easily first team All Pro though. Something a receiver as great as Hines Ward never accomplished. This will be the second time for AB.

What's really going to be interesting is the Steelers team MVP. I don't see how it can't be Big Ben this year? This despite the historic season AB is enjoying. And I would guess the ballot of AB is going to have Ben at the top too! This offense only hits high gar with Ben at the helm.

salamander
12-21-2015, 05:13 PM
The only MVP award I care about is Super Bowl MVP. Now if AB wins that this year, that's a win-win for us all. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
12-21-2015, 05:14 PM
The steelers mvp is who was the best player of the year of the team.

This is Antonio Brown who will win it, since Ben has missed four games and AB has another historic season.

Psycho Ward 86
12-21-2015, 05:41 PM

This is Antonio Brown who will win it, since Ben has missed four games and AB has another historic season.

no its not? its the most important player, which isnt necessarily the same thing

zulater
12-21-2015, 05:47 PM

That would be the player of the year award. By value there is no one who has more value to this team than Ben. He's clearly the straw that stirs the drink and in my opinion he is indeed the Steelers MVP. Now of course I don't get a vote, nor do you, so we'll have to wait and see how the players go with it.

Craic
12-21-2015, 05:58 PM
That would be the player of the year award. By value there is no one who has more value to this team than Ben. He's clearly the straw that stirs the drink and in my opinion he is indeed the Steelers MVP. Now of course I don't get a vote, nor do you, so we'll have to wait and see how the players go with it.

A strange third option there, and I say strange because his numbers don't show him obviously in the race, but he should be considered . . . is DeAngelo Williams, for MVP of the Steelers. Without him this year, our season would have been sunk after the first Bungles game, not to mention his two stellar performances in the beginning of the year.

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Ben’s injury likely cost Antonio Brown the NFL yardage record

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/22/bens-injury-likely-cost-antonio-brown-the-nfl-yardage-record/

Steeltreal
12-22-2015, 11:03 AM
Anyone see his World record catch on Sport science? He caught a football dropped from a drone 360 high,

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 11:46 AM
I think than Brown has a chance to win the Offensive player of the year in the NFL.

HollywoodSteel
12-22-2015, 11:51 AM
A strange third option there, and I say strange because his numbers don't show him obviously in the race, but he should be considered . . . is DeAngelo Williams, for MVP of the Steelers. Without him this year, our season would have been sunk after the first Bungles game, not to mention his two stellar performances in the beginning of the year.

I really don't know all the awards a team hands out but Williams definitely deserves something. Not quite most valuable since, as others have pointed out, Ben is objectively the most valuable. That's probably just the nature of the position unless you are the '85 Bears or Ravens first Super Bowl team.

AB deserves something as he is the best individual player. But Williams should win best "thank God we got him" award or something like that.

Craic
12-22-2015, 12:11 PM
I really don't know all the awards a team hands out but Williams definitely deserves something. Not quite most valuable since, as others have pointed out, Ben is objectively the most valuable. That's probably just the nature of the position unless you are the '85 Bears or Ravens first Super Bowl team.

AB deserves something as he is the best individual player. But Williams should win best "thank God we got him" award or something like that.

Best Safety Net in the NFL!

polamalubeast
12-23-2015, 09:53 AM
Gary Kubiak: Antonio Brown has my vote for MVP

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000607775/article/gary-kubiak-antonio-brown-has-my-vote-for-mvp?campaign=Twitter_atn

Rotorhead
12-23-2015, 10:29 AM
I just read that AB need 28 receptions to beat the single season rec record set by Marvin Harrison and 379 yds to beat megatrons single season yard total . . . considering who our next 2 opponents are it is actually possible for him to do both . . . this is without Ben for 4 games. Imagine what he could have done with a healthy Ben all season! I hope he can get both, only fitting for him IMHO.

polamalubeast
12-23-2015, 10:32 AM
I just read that AB need 28 receptions to beat the single season rec record set by Marvin Harrison and 379 yds to beat megatrons single season yard total . . . considering who our next 2 opponents are it is actually possible for him to do both . . . this is without Ben for 4 games. Imagine what he could have done with a healthy Ben all season! I hope he can get both, only fitting for him IMHO.

156 Catches and more than 2100 yards!

Rotorhead
12-23-2015, 11:41 AM
That can be next seasons goal on our way to #8!

polamalubeast
12-23-2015, 12:12 PM

86WARD
12-23-2015, 10:09 PM
In the conversation...yes. MVP? It goes to Cam.

zoneblitzerII
12-24-2015, 04:42 AM
AB is a special talent and I saw it during the Mike Wallace days when he was considered Pitt's best WR. But for me, it was always Antonio. Still as great as he is, he's just not the same without Ben. Ben doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He is INCREDIBLY valuable to his team. He is the driving force behind all of the offense's success. And the two of them have a wonderful chemistry together.

st33lersguy
12-24-2015, 01:34 PM
If you put Antonio in the conversation you have to put Ben in as well because the offense was sputtering when Ben wasn't fully healthy and when it was healthy it was unstoppable

StillCurtains
12-24-2015, 07:37 PM
The only MVP award I care about is Super Bowl MVP. Now if AB wins that this year, that's a win-win for us all. :chuckle:

I Love AB, and him being Superbowl MVP would be cool, but I would rather we win the Superbowl with AB putting up good numbers but Ben get the MVP. Ben is in his final years and never got Superbowl MVP. He's a first ballet Hall of Famer. Unfortunately to the national public, Ben will never be considered on the level of Brady, P. Manning and Rodgers unless he wins another Superbowl with the MVP of the game.

If he does that, then he has 4 Superbowl appearances with 3 Superbowl wins and 1 Superbowl MVP. If he does that then he just has to get his due credit for greatness by the national public. That would only put him behind Bradshaw and Montana in Superbowl wins at QB and tied for 2nd with Aikman with 3 and put him above Brady's 4 ****

polamalubeast
12-25-2015, 11:41 AM

NCSteeler
12-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Calvin often disappears for long stretches of games. Also Sherman wouldnt get the no call ref treatment against Johnson

BnG_Hevn
12-25-2015, 12:38 PM
I think it's his Minecraft haircut that is preventing it.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=antonio+brown&view=detailv2&&id=BA5C5D29B9B4EFFFBF37514257FBA0A4365F49A5&selectedIndex=0&ccid=DjV1DVZ9&simid=608006312979269392&thid=OIP.M0e35750d567dbf02ba1c20dbb1aa738fo1&ajaxhist=0

ETL
12-25-2015, 07:45 PM
I Love AB, and him being Superbowl MVP would be cool, but I would rather we win the Superbowl with AB putting up good numbers but Ben get the MVP. Ben is in his final years and never got Superbowl MVP. He's a first ballet Hall of Famer. Unfortunately to the national public, Ben will never be considered on the level of Brady, P. Manning and Rodgers unless he wins another Superbowl with the MVP of the game.

If he does that, then he has 4 Superbowl appearances with 3 Superbowl wins and 1 Superbowl MVP. If he does that then he just has to get his due credit for greatness by the national public. That would only put him behind Bradshaw and Montana in Superbowl wins at QB and tied for 2nd with Aikman with 3 and put him above Brady's 4 ****

i could care less if Jordan Berry was named Super Bowl MVP - I just want the Steelers to win the SB. And I hope Ben beats out all those QBs you named and wins 5 or 6 Super Bowls - because that means that the Steelers won those games.

86WARD
12-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Just give me a Super Bowl win and they can lose 10 games in each of the next two seasons. I'd prefer Ben get an MVP award but even if he threw for 350 and 3 TDs, if Brown had 105 receiving and 2 of those, they'd give it to AB.

Psycho Ward 86
12-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Just give me a Super Bowl win and they can lose 10 games in each of the next two seasons. I'd prefer Ben get an MVP award but even if he threw for 350 and 3 TDs, if Brown had 105 receiving and 2 of those, they'd give it to AB.

which is basically what transpired in 2008. non-steeler fans will do anything to deny Ben credibility

polamalubeast
12-26-2015, 10:13 AM
I will be so happy if the steelers win a SB, even if Ben not win the mvp.

With a another SB it will put Ben in a select group.

tube517
12-30-2015, 12:27 PM

zulater
12-30-2015, 12:55 PM
AB won Steelers MVP again, just announced.