PDA

View Full Version : Steelers gladly live with Roethlisberger

stillers4me
12-21-2015, 09:08 AM
They met in the Steelers locker room after the game, general manager Kevin Colbert and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Colbert was ecstatic.

The Steelers had just climbed out of a 27-10 hole, rallying against the NFL’s best defense to beat the Denver Broncos, 34-27. Roethlisberger was relieved. He threw a late interception that could have ruined his and his team’s otherwise spectacular second-half performance.

“I told Kevin, ‘I’ve got to stop trying to make plays,’ ” Roethlisberger said. “He said, ‘No, you don’t. We’ll always live with you and die with you.’ It makes you feel good.”

Roethlisberger made plenty of plays before forcing a pass that was intercepted by linebacker Brandon Marshall at the Steelers 41 with 2:01 left and the Steelers leading, 34-27. After his defense bailed him out by forcing four consecutive incompletions, Roethlisberger completed one final pass to ice the win. His 8-yard throw to wide receiver Antonio Brown on third-and-5 at the Steelers 46 with 1:30 left allowed the Steelers to run out the clock and stay in control of the final AFC wild-card slot.

“You feel like you’ve killed the team,” Roethlisberger said of his interception. “I’m always going to beat myself up. But no one else did. I came off the field and [cornerback] Will Gay said, ‘We’ll get you the ball back.’ And they did …

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2015/12/20/Ron-Cook-Pittsburgh-Steelers-gladly-live-with-Ben-Roethlisberger-NFL-football/stories/201512200236
Read more @

tube517
12-21-2015, 09:33 AM
I'd rather have healthy Ben making a few mistakes than injured Ben or no Ben at all.

fansince'76
12-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Roethlisberger made plenty of plays before forcing a pass that was intercepted by linebacker Brandon Marshall at the Steelers 41 with 2:01 left and the Steelers leading, 34-27.

And this is the play the more hypercritical members of the Nation (and there are many) will choose to focus on, completely discounting everything else he did in that game and say "But why can't he be more like Brady?"

And the very same people will STILL continue to wonder why Bradshaw spent the first two decades of his retirement flipping a giant bird at this fanbase. :coffee:

lipps83
12-21-2015, 10:14 AM
And this is the play the more hypercritical members of the Nation (and there are many) will choose to focus on, completely discounting everything else he did in that game and say "But why can't he be more like Brady?"

And the very same people will STILL continue to wonder why Bradshaw spent the first two decades of his retirement flipping a giant bird at this fanbase. :coffee:

They wouldn't be Steelers fans if they didn't criticize and beat dead horses. With that said, the only way Deangelo would have been more covered is if you erase him from the pictures and leave the two Bronco defenders that were draped over him. Not sure why Ben threw the ball, but he did and nothing came of it. No biggie.

I am the same way with Bryant. He isn't going to catch every pass and that is okay with me. People complained about a drop last week in the end zone, completely ignoring the fact a defenders arm was between Bryants and "his hands touched the ball, should have caught that". With every 3 drops he has he makes one huge play. I will take the huge play. The drops are nothing the team can't overcome. No reason to harp on it.

steelreserve
12-21-2015, 10:32 AM
That was a bad throw, but christ, you are going to make mistakes once in a while. If that's all you see in that game, and not the fact that Ben pretty much singlehandedly accounted for our entire offense, which by the way scored over 30 points again with no help from big breaks, then you are a hopeless pessimist.

With a healthy Ben, our scoring totals have been 21, 43, 38, 30, 30, 45, 33, 34. You know how people have been saying for years "This offense has so much talent it could be scoring 30 points a game?" This is what it actually looks like. And lest you forget, look at the way the offense has struggled to grind out 15-20 points under Vick, Jones, or for that matter Batch, Leftwich, Dixon, Maddox, or any of the other redshirts that have filled in as temporary starters. Was any of that pleasant to watch? No, Ben is not the problem.

polamalubeast
12-21-2015, 10:36 AM
That was a bad throw, but christ, you are going to make mistakes once in a while. If that's all you see in that game, and not the fact that Ben pretty much singlehandedly accounted for our entire offense, which by the way scored over 30 points again with no help from big breaks, then you are a hopeless pessimist.

With a healthy Ben, our scoring totals have been 21, 43, 38, 30, 30, 45, 33, 34. You know how people have been saying for years "This offense has so much talent it could be scoring 30 points a game?" This is what it actually looks like. And lest you forget, look at the way the offense has struggled to grind out 15-20 points under Vick, Jones, or for that matter Batch, Leftwich, Dixon, Maddox, or any of the other redshirts that have filled in as temporary starters. Was any of that pleasant to watch? No, Ben is not the problem.

The Steelers have scored 30 points or more in their last 6 games and 3 of its games were against a top 5 defense.....And this is 210 points for the steelers in his 6 games(35 PPG)!

Craic
12-21-2015, 10:57 AM
Great article, and it echoes what I've been saying for a couple of weeks now. The last thing we want to do is harness Ben. We live or die by his gambling and gunslinging. I don't like it at times, my cardiologist hates it for me, but its our best chance at winning.

86WARD
12-21-2015, 12:08 PM
I'd take Ben for the rest of my life as a QB for the Steelers. No brainer. I'd take him over anybody else.

Moose
12-21-2015, 12:15 PM
I'd take Ben for the rest of my life as a QB for the Steelers. No brainer. I'd take him over anybody else.

Ben is definitely the 'win' maker ! But, we all know the situation when Ben is hurting and I wish the hell the F.O. would start thinking of picking up a good, future making QB. Ben is just a injury away from retiring and you know how the future is with Landry. OMG.

SteelMember
12-21-2015, 12:48 PM
I'm gonna roll with Ben either way... I'm a fan, but this pass looked eerily similar to the pick a few weeks back. Same sideline with a RB out of the back field. Coverage in his back pocket, then steps in front. Maybe if he sees this opportunity again he'll recall the other 2 and put it in the first row.

steel striker
12-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Ben has always been my guy and, he is the best qb that we have ever had. I think we he does retire people will realize how good this guy has been and, he always gives this team a chance of winning every game.

ALLD
12-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Without Ben there is no hope at all. Ben is not perfect like nobody else is either. The untimely pick was more forcing the ball under pressure instead of throwing it away. Hopefully he learned something valuable when he finds himself in a similar situation. The D showed me something when the Broncos could do nothing with the turnover.

Some depth on the DL, a CB and a S would make this a championship defense. The hole over the middle and a very weak Blake need attention immediately.

86WARD
12-21-2015, 03:40 PM
The QB from Harvard...I forget his name, any draft nerds have feelings on him as a 2016 draft pick and maybe future guy?

Count Steeler
12-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Ben is even more Ben because he finally has an O Line that is void of pylons. And some of the best receiving corps in the NFL.

And he finally matured enough to let bygones be bygones and was able to work with Todd Haley. Must have really been hell for him to get over the conflict with Todd.

86WARD
12-22-2015, 11:15 AM
You could say he's "raping" the competition?!?

Psycho Ward 86
12-22-2015, 09:31 PM
You could say he's "raping" the competition?!?

ive been using that one for years to troll the haters :lol:

SteelMember
12-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Ben holds the ball too long. :wink02:

teegre
12-23-2015, 08:43 AM
The QB from Harvard...I forget his name, any draft nerds have feelings on him as a 2016 draft pick and maybe future guy?

They're gonna stick with Landry Jones for a few more years. And, I'm actually fine with that.

(Do you mean Stanford? Kevin Hogan)

86WARD
12-23-2015, 10:13 PM
Hogan is the one. He's looked decent out there at times. May not be a bad third string guy to try to develop?

zoneblitzerII
12-24-2015, 04:28 AM
On sound FX you could hear Ben talking to himself saying, "...just throw it away Ben, just throw it away." It was an awful and stupid decision not becoming of a veteran QB no doubt. But I'm glad it wasn't their undoing and I am SO glad it happened in the regular season. Mistakes like that in the playoffs usually do you in.

st33lersguy
12-24-2015, 03:22 PM
He's made a few puzzling critical interceptions this year but without Ben this year, the Steelers would be 3-11 or 4-10 right now and ranking in the bottom 4 in total points and yards. With a lesser QB, Steelers never take the lead