PDA

View Full Version : All I Want For Christmas is........

katmandu
12-20-2015, 10:10 PM
..... for the Steelers to get a SHUT DOWN CORNER !!!!!!

And you want ......... ??

zulater
12-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Make it an Easter wish and you got a shot. Wont happen this year though. This team is what it is warts and all. But that's not entirely bad as evidenced by the 5-1 run in their last 6 games.

Still it would be fun to imagine how lethal this team could be if they could only shore up the back end of the defense, particularly cb. Would I be wrong if I were to guess the Steelers haven't placed a single cb in the Pro Bowl since Rod Woodson was in his prime back in the early to mid 90's?

teegre
12-20-2015, 10:46 PM
For Christmas:
A win against the Ravens.

For New Year's:
A win against the Browns.

For MLK, Jr.'s birthday:
An AFCCG victory.

For Groundhog's Day:
A 7th Lombardi

For Easter:
R1: Su'a Cravens, SS, USC

lipps83
12-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Would I be wrong if I were to guess the Steelers haven't placed a single cb in the Pro Bowl since Rod Woodson was in his prime back in the early to mid 90's?

Wrong, but so close!

Carnell Lake made the pro bowl as a corner in 97. Woodson last went with the Steelers in 96.

Damn good trivia question though.

hawaiiansteeler
12-20-2015, 11:07 PM
For Easter:

I agree with you, we could use a play-making safety just as much as a shutdown CB...

Psycho Ward 86
12-20-2015, 11:14 PM
I agree with you, we could use a play-making safety just as much as a shutdown CB...

idk about that. mike mitchell is pretty good when healthy. will allen is at the end of his contract if i recall correctly? golden is already clearly better than him so he would be a pretty sufficient starter at worst.

CB on the other hand, not so much. we need a CB who can play outside, instead of compiling a bunch that are more slot corners like we have over the past couple of years. Hopefully Senquez can make an instant impact as one of those guys next season

teegre
12-21-2015, 12:44 AM
idk about that. mike mitchell is pretty good when healthy. will allen is at the end of his contract if i recall correctly? golden is already clearly better than him so he would be a pretty sufficient starter at worst.

CB on the other hand, not so much. we need a CB who can play outside, instead of compiling a bunch that are more slot corners like we have over the past couple of years. Hopefully Senquez can make an instant impact as one of those guys next season

I see your point. Golden is pretty good. CB is a wasteland.

That said, when Pittsburgh's defense has been great, it has had a great SS. Golden might be "good enough", but I don't see him as being anything "special".

Plus, after Cravens there aren't many SS prospects; there's a huge drop-off in talent. Whereas, the difference between White/Fuller (R1) and King/Sutton (R2/R3) is minimal.

Craic
12-21-2015, 01:33 AM
Don't forget, however, we have a first round CB draft pick sitting on the bench recovering from surgery - one who's supposed to light it up. I'd rather we take BPA than reach for a CB.

86WARD
12-21-2015, 05:05 AM
For Christmas:

For New Year's:

For MLK, Jr.'s birthday:
An AFCCG victory.

For Groundhog's Day:
A 7th Lombardi

For Easter:

That's a nice list.

MLK Day presents? I'm in...

Texasteel
12-21-2015, 08:47 AM
For Christmas:

For New Year's:

For MLK, Jr.'s birthday:
An AFCCG victory.

For Groundhog's Day:
A 7th Lombardi

For Easter:

You may have noticed, but I like Cravens a bunch. He is so active in the defensive secondary. I think we can pick up a very good CB in the second round. Starting to think seriously about King from Iowa. He may come out after the year he had.

Like the rest of your list as well.

stillers4me
12-21-2015, 08:50 AM
I just always like going into the Christmas holiday on a Steelers win!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/12370862_1099954090016730_3716160634145151301_o.jp g

teegre
12-21-2015, 09:00 AM
King from Iowa.

Simpatico

No joke... every week, when the Steelers give up a TD, I text my buddy the following:

R2: Desmond King, CB, Iowa
R3: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

Alas, I have texted him those names quite a few times recently. :lol:

Mojouw
12-21-2015, 09:22 AM
I know not a thing about college football this season. I won't know anything about draft prospects until I get to read the reports and reviews of those that do. But I will say this;

I would rather have an elite dynamic safety than Revis 2.0. This defensive scheme has proven that to be more effective than simply throwing a "shutdown corner" out there and calling it good.

Long story short, think about last time. What would you have rather had - Revis and who knows who at safety or Polamalu and Ike?

If Cravens is as good as everyone says and the team can find Ike 2.0 later in the draft - I would be over the moon.

As to Ike 2.0 - Damn you, Cortez Allen - I thought that was your role!

katmandu
12-21-2015, 09:31 AM
I agree with you, we could use a play-making safety just as much as a shutdown CB...I wouldn't mind it a bit of Shazier was moved to SS. Drop of few pounds to pick up some speed and I think he'd be a great SS. Not Troy by any means, but helluva a lot better that what we have now.

katmandu
12-21-2015, 09:40 AM
I'd rather we take BPA than reach for a CB. What's BPA ?

tube517
12-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Simpatico

No joke... every week, when the Steelers give up a TD, I text my buddy the following:

R3: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

Alas, I have texted him those names quite a few times recently. :lol:

Tiger Walsh. How dare you suggest drafting 3 DBs in the first 3 rounds.

You do know, round 1 is reserved for OLB, round 2 for DE/DT, round 3 WR. Stop suggesting such hocus pocus. :sarcasm: :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-21-2015, 10:00 AM
What's BPA ?

Best Player Available. In other words, the most highly-rated prospect still on the draft board, regardless of position.

polamalubeast
12-21-2015, 10:01 AM
All I Want For Christmas is........

Beat the Patriots in their house in the playoffs!

katmandu
12-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Best Player Available. In other words, the most highly-rated prospect still on the draft board, regardless of position.Gotch ya.

Texasteel
12-21-2015, 10:07 PM

You do know, round 1 is reserved for OLB, round 2 for DE/DT, round 3 WR. Stop suggesting such hocus pocus. :sarcasm: :chuckle:

I will go further than to suggest it. This draft would not only much improve the pass defense, but would also improve the run defense. These guy are very good in run support. Also, at the point I think we will be drafting all 3 of these kids could very well be the BAP.

teegre
12-22-2015, 11:28 AM

LOL Because of the Boykin trade, they won't draft a CB in R5 who will be cut by the beginning of the season. :lol:

I had time this morning, and I looked on a site called: DraftTek. They use a computer to make mock drafts. The insert scouting reports, team needs (ranked), and use an algorithm that simulates how teams will draft. It's not biased; it's a objective as a mock can be.

R1: Jayron Kearse, SS, Clemson

R3: Tyler Johnstone, OT, Otegon

R4: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Kearse is a very good SS. I prefer Cravens, but Kearse would be 1-a. King in R2 is perfect. An OT doesn't excite me, especially because both Kendall Fuller and Cameron Sutton were on the board. The interesting pick is Spence: top 10 talent, Burfict-esque mindset. Spence is the epitome of boom or bust.

Overall, if the Steelers got that draft, I'd give it an A (mostly because of Kearse and King, with the potential "steal" in Spence).

Rotorhead
12-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Wonder if there is a possibility they shop our current Spence or Williams to move up in the Draft (I don't know what their status is as far as contract goes). I certainly would like to keep them both, but the possibility to move up in the draft for a top corner or S would be worth the trade to me. I honestly believe we are an Ike type corner away from a SB and next season is going to be our best chance before we start possibly losing key players on the offense. With the improvement of Golden I think we are ok at S and just need depth. Cockrell, Gay, Boykin and Golson with a top draft pick should be enough to improve our secondary to average status and really that should be all we need. Dupree will be a complete beast next season so our rush should be that much better.

Mojouw
12-22-2015, 12:43 PM
I see that comment a ton on this and other Steelers internet places - trading Spence or Williams to move up in the draft.

So folks honestly think a back-up caliber 3-4 ILB is an enticing enough bait to get a team to move DOWN in any of the top 3 rounds?

I'm a fan of both players, but that is simply silly. Turn the situation around. Say that you woke up tomorrow and heard that the Steelers traded the #15 overall pick in the first round for the 28th overall pick in that round and Shayne Skov. Would you want to congratulate Colbert or punch him in the face?

The only serious bait this team would have to move up in the first round from a player standpoint would be one of the wide-outs. Basically Bryant or Wheaton. I could also see a few teams giving up nice draft picks for either of the DE's. That is about it.

Could you move Williams or Spence for a 6th or maybe a conditional 6th? Possible, but not likely.

Craic
12-22-2015, 02:09 PM
I see that comment a ton on this and other Steelers internet places - trading Spence or Williams to move up in the draft.

So folks honestly think a back-up caliber 3-4 ILB is an enticing enough bait to get a team to move DOWN in any of the top 3 rounds?

I'm a fan of both players, but that is simply silly. Turn the situation around. Say that you woke up tomorrow and heard that the Steelers traded the #15 overall pick in the first round for the 28th overall pick in that round and Shayne Skov. Would you want to congratulate Colbert or punch him in the face?

The only serious bait this team would have to move up in the first round from a player standpoint would be one of the wide-outs. Basically Bryant or Wheaton. I could also see a few teams giving up nice draft picks for either of the DE's. That is about it.

Could you move Williams or Spence for a 6th or maybe a conditional 6th? Possible, but not likely.

Yes and no. Say its from 25th to 21st. If you believe Williams or Spence is the equal in worth to a lower-mid 4th round draft pick, then yes, it is a trade that would happen. If not, you have to offer something to sweeten the deal. I find this site (http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php)helpful in assessing that kind of situation.

hawaiiansteeler
12-22-2015, 03:58 PM
I had time this morning, and I looked on a site called: DraftTek. They use a computer to make mock drafts. The insert scouting reports, team needs (ranked), and use an algorithm that simulates how teams will draft. It's not biased; it's a objective as a mock can be.

R1: Jayron Kearse, SS, Clemson

R3: Tyler Johnstone, OT, Otegon

R4: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Kearse is a very good SS. I prefer Cravens, but Kearse would be 1-a. King in R2 is perfect. An OT doesn't excite me, especially because both Kendall Fuller and Cameron Sutton were on the board. The interesting pick is Spence: top 10 talent, Burfict-esque mindset. Spence is the epitome of boom or bust.

Overall, if the Steelers got that draft, I'd give it an A (mostly because of Kearse and King, with the potential "steal" in Spence).

Noah Spence is a pass-rushing beast with first-round talent, although some NFL teams will probably have him off their draft boards entirely I believe at least one team is going to fall in love with his production and measurables and select him before the second round ends...

Texasteel
12-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Noah Spence is a pass-rushing beast with first-round talent, although some NFL teams will probably have him off their draft boards entirely I believe at least one team is going to fall in love with his production and measurables and select him before the second round ends...

I think the key to the Spence pick would be. Is Spence truly past his addiction. Who ever drafts the kid had better talk to him long and hard.

I like Johnson, but I would hope they would take a long hard look at the OGs that are available.

katmandu
12-22-2015, 08:05 PM
I think the key to the Spence pick would be. Is Spence truly past his addiction. Who ever drafts the kid had better talk to him long and hard.

I like Johnson, but I would hope they would take a long hard look at the OGs that are available.Where (what websites) do you folks follow future college draftees ?

Texasteel
12-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Where (what websites) do you folks follow future college draftees ?

I use CBS Sports a lot. I think they are the best I have read, over all. They have a pretty good record of evaluating the players.

Just go to NFL draft prospects, and they are one of the first listed.

hawaiiansteeler
12-22-2015, 09:16 PM
I use CBS Sports a lot. I think they are the best I have read, over all. They have a pretty good record of evaluating the players.

Just go to NFL draft prospects, and they are one of the first listed.

here you go, this is my favorite one also:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

86WARD
12-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Two things: Super Bowl 50 Victory and SB MVP for Ben. That easy.