PDA

View Full Version : Antwon Blake needs to be cut by Monday morning

steelreserve
12-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Not that there was any doubt that he was already the worst player on our defense, and one of the worst defensive starters in the league. But this game should have absolutely shattered any illusions that he belongs on this team for even another second. Did you see the difference between the first half and the second? Of course you did! You could not create a more blatant example of how one personnel shift changed the entire nature of the game than we saw today. Hell, if someone described a game like that to you, and it hadn't actually just happened, you would tell them to stop exaggerating and using cliches.

But there it was: Blake in the game (and guarding Denver's #1 RECEIVER, forehead smack), the first half is a game of Madden on Easy for the Broncos. Blake is out of the game in the second half, our team is playing Madden on Easy. There it is, Tomlin, since apparently you've managed to miss it somehow for an entire year. SMACK! 4-pound Italian salami to the head. DID YOU REALLY NOT GET HOW THIS WORKS YET??? IT'S BEEN OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR MONTHS!

Never in my entire life have I see one guy make such a difference in a team sport, and unfortunately in a negative way. Blake being in the game doesn't only mean HE gets lit up, it makes everyone else worse too. For example, Cockrell isn't exactly challenging for All-Pro status, but did you notice how his play changed when the switch was made? He went from being tentative and back on his heels, to guarding the receiver closely and trying to make plays on the ball. Same with Gay, Boykin, Allen when he was in pass defense too. I'm willing to bet a BIG part of that was because whichever DB as doing the defending, he knew he could count on having the backup he was supposed to, because the guy providing the backup wasn't busy babysitting Blake.

And for that matter, I don't think Allen's actually that bad of a safety when he plays the role he's meant to - but when he's thrust into the task of not providing "help," but of coming up with a great 1-on-1 play to bail out another of Blake's fuck-ups, then guess what? Allen looks like shit too. It's a cascading effect that ruins the entire pass defense. It's obvious to me, and I'm a fucking FAN for god's sake. This clown has no use on the team, not as a starter, not as a backup, not as the backup in the dime defense. NONE. If he is ever in the game for any reason, we are worse off.

It's not like we're stuck either, as if he's not any good but there's no one better. Boykin, Gay, Cockrell - those are the three guys head and shoulders above him. If you need a fourth CB, Doran Grant is your guy. Need a fifth guy? Sign someone off the fucking street. Trade with a CFL team. I don't care. Get him out of there. This was the SEASON today. Before it was like, well, he hurt us in this game and in that game, but overall we're ok ... no. He almost cost us the SEASON and it is NOT time to be fucking around anymore. If Tomlin doesn't get rid of him IMMEDIATELY, then he needs to be fired at the end of the season for being THAT oblivious. It is almost impossible.

fansince'76
12-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Yep, Blake really has no business being out there at this point.

Craic
12-20-2015, 08:39 PM
Not that I'm defending Blake, but I find it curious how you're completely ignoring everything else in the game to focus on one player. I mean, you did see the shift to tighter coverage off the line, right? You did see what looked like more man coverage or possibly old zone-blitz coverage, right?

The 2nd half improvement was due to a lot more than simply removing one player from the field.

steelerdude15
12-20-2015, 08:43 PM
I would only have him as depth at this point in the season. He would not be a starter if I were the head coach.

steelreserve
12-20-2015, 08:53 PM
Not that I'm defending Blake, but I find it curious how you're completely ignoring everything else in the game to focus on one player. I mean, you did see the shift to tighter coverage off the line, right? You did see what looked like more man coverage or possibly old zone-blitz coverage, right?

The 2nd half improvement was due to a lot more than simply removing one player from the field.

Oh yeah, believe me, I saw it. Everything about the defense was different. I don't think a lot of that is even possible with Blake in the game. It looked to me like we tried a few times in the first half to make adjustments along the lines of what you said, but they FAILED IMMEDIATELY because Blake couldn't hack it.

And no matter what scheme we were playing, he singlehandedly gave up one free touchdown with piss-poor tackling, and played a BIG part in another by letting Sanders run free untouched before he rushed.

Yes, everyone makes mistakes, but what pisses me off is that this was nothing we haven't seen before. It's totally inexcusable for a guy like that to be playing when, literally, e entire season is on the line. We already knew the name of the game with him, Denver knew it; it was obvious within the first 10 plays. What the fuck were we doing?

No, one guy usually can't make that level of difference, but one of the few exceptions is DB and when it's a guy that bad. Having that kind of weak link can cause a cascading effect that runs the entire defense. You don't believe me, think I'm overreacting? Well, the evidence was on full display on national TV today.

86WARD
12-20-2015, 08:56 PM
I would only have him as depth at this point in the season. He would not be a starter if I were the head coach.

Could they really do worse if they cut him and signed a free agent?

Psycho Ward 86
12-20-2015, 08:59 PM
if Blake wasnt so young, id be going a step further and insisting that he retire

steelerdude15
12-20-2015, 09:00 PM

One potential issue with picking up a free agent is having to teach the new player the playbook, scheme, and language in such a short period of time since its nearly the end of the season. I wouldn't think the coaches would want to go through that.

86WARD
12-20-2015, 09:02 PM
One potential issue with picking up a free agent is having to teach the new player the playbook, scheme, and language in such a short period of time since its nearly the end of the season. I wouldn't think the coaches would want to go through that.

Yeah...I was being more sarcastic but he's one of the worst rated CBs in the league...a street free agent may not be that terrible...even learning the schemes.

steelerdude15
12-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Yeah...I was being more sarcastic but he's one of the worst rated CBs in the league...a street free agent may not be that terrible...even learning the schemes.

Oh I got ya. :chuckle: I agree, he is terrible.

Shoes
12-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Alex on Blake....

Antwon Blake: In the same way I’ve run out of ways to describe AB, I don’t know what to say about Blake anymore. The words you use on him probably can’t be repeated on here. For the life of me, I don’t know why the teams starts him with the knowledge they will eventually bench him. But don’t let Blake dominate the comments section. Enjoy the win. That is so much more fun.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/quick-hits-steelers-vs-broncos-winnerslosers/

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2015, 09:26 PM

I don't understand why they don't just let Grant get some experience. He can't be any worse than Blake.

Steel Peon
12-20-2015, 09:27 PM
Did you see the difference between the first half and the second? Of course you did! You could not create a more blatant example of how one personnel shift changed the entire nature of the game than we saw today. Hell, if someone described a game like that to you, and it hadn't actually just happened, you would tell them to stop exaggerating and using cliches.
You're right, I don't believe you. It's funny how I knew there'd be a thread like this started after the game, and these are the kinds that make me wonder why I'm wasting my time posting in forums at all. If this isn't a joke and you honestly feel this way, then you need some mental help.

st33lersguy
12-20-2015, 09:38 PM
Blake needs to be cut. Air alone literally would be a better option than Blake

lipps83
12-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Blake needs to be cut. Air alone literally would be a better option than Blake

It usually is because the air provides the chance for the pass to be dropped. More than Blake could ever imagine to do. Its like he hits the ball into the receivers hands.

That second part actually is not true since he is about 15 yards or more away from his guy so it is literally up to the air to make the stop.

MrPgh
12-20-2015, 10:09 PM
Blake made two good plays all season: the pick 6 in San Diego, and the INT in the first Bengals game. Other then that he's been mostly crap. You can even say he was the main reason why the Steelers lost to KC and Seattle.

steelreserve
12-20-2015, 10:31 PM
You're right, I don't believe you. It's funny how I knew there'd be a thread like this started after the game, and these are the kinds that make me wonder why I'm wasting my time posting in forums at all. If this isn't a joke and you honestly feel this way, then you need some mental help.

What are you, an idiot?

Mojouw
12-20-2015, 10:35 PM
Really need to see some more sober and reasoned breakdowns of the All 22 film before we can assign blame to any one player or scheme.

I suspect it is Blake. I also suspect it was more of those combo routes that force individual defenders to cope with overloads in their zones. But who knows for sure right now.

Finally, no guy on his couch right now is going to play any better than Blake. I woulda figured that Jean Baptiste was going to get signed. But I also figured this team would regret not being able to draft Justin Gilbert. So what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawaiiansteeler
12-20-2015, 11:03 PM
Finally, no guy on his couch right now is going to play any better than Blake. I woulda figured that Jean Baptiste was going to get signed. But I also figured this team would regret not being able to draft Justin Gilbert.

Marcus Peters is the CB I wanted, I had him in my SU mock draft and was very disappointed when the Chiefs took him ahead of us...

teegre
12-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Marcus Peters is the CB I wanted, I had him in my SU mock draft and was very disappointed when the Chiefs took him ahead of us...

Yep

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dinner-takes-all-meals-influence-the-2015-nfl-draft/

When Peters got drafted, I was bummed. That said, I love Dupree.

86WARD
12-21-2015, 05:12 AM
It usually is because the air provides the chance for the pass to be dropped. More than Blake could ever imagine to do. Its like he hits the ball into the receivers hands.

That second part actually is not true since he is about 15 yards or more away from his guy so it is literally up to the air to make the stop.

I counted 13 yards as the highest cushion Blake had given Sanders. 12 yards from LOS, 13 from Sanders...and he was back pedaling at the snap. You give a guy like Sanders that kind of cushion and he'll have 107 yards and a TD in the first quarter every week.

NCSteeler
12-21-2015, 05:16 AM
On a side note, I just realized Brice McCain was the worst rated CB in the league last year. Were good at finding these gems. I'm starting to think Tomlin is hoping teams will game plan for Blake and then he can pull him out and screw up their whole plan

steelreserve
12-21-2015, 10:15 AM
On a side note, I just realized Brice McCain was the worst rated CB in the league last year. Were good at finding these gems. I'm starting to think Tomlin is hoping teams will game plan for Blake and then he can pull him out and screw up their whole plan

Well, if that is his plan, next time it'd be better to make the switch before we spot them FOUR touchdowns.

polamalubeast
12-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Rotorhead
12-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Maybe we can officially start Boykin for the rest of the season . . . maybe. The more they all play together with Boykin, the better they will be come playoffs. I do recall Boykin being out of position on at least 2 plays (or there was miscommunication) so the comfort level will increase with more playing time, lets just hope it happens over the next 2 weeks.

Psycho Ward 86
12-21-2015, 10:54 AM

im surprised those snaps didnt turn into 4 touchdowns

cold-hard-steel
12-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Blake is a safety plain and simple.

steelreserve
12-21-2015, 11:23 AM
im surprised those snaps didnt turn into 4 touchdowns

Well, one of them was a 40-yard bomb that would've been a real dagger, except luckily the receiver didn't get both feet down in bounds. And yeah, that one was thrown directly at Blake on the first play he was back in.

lotas
12-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Exactly. Blake plays the game like an injured Mike Mitchell.

hawaiiansteeler
12-21-2015, 12:02 PM

actually, Blake's best position is Left Out.

Steelman
12-21-2015, 02:55 PM

If Blake could tackle I might be able to agree with you. No way even if Blake were completely healthy would he be any good at safety.

Definitely like Hawaiian Steeler's idea. :lol:

ALLD
12-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Blake should hook up with Archer on the former Steelers roster.

steelreserve
12-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Blake should hook up with Archer on the former Steelers roster.

Archer joined the Cardinals?

86WARD
12-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Titans?

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 11:20 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Steelman
12-22-2015, 11:22 AM
Well I guess the teacher's pet gets graded on a curve. :doh:

SteelerFanInStl
12-22-2015, 11:38 AM

Tomlin is a fucking idiot. He continues to make stupid decisions that aren't in the best interest of the team.

salamander
12-22-2015, 11:41 AM
For all the credit I give Tomlin this year for keeping the team going through all the injuries, he's a fucking moron when it comes to Blake.

steelreserve
12-22-2015, 11:51 AM
Are you shitting me?

I am seriously considering calling the Pittsburgh PD, because obviously Tomlin is in possession of at least 20 pounds of marijuana.

Scratch that - in order for him to say this, he must've smoked it all.

And he probably has a medical marijuana card for it anyway ... because he's fucking BLIND.

Rotorhead
12-22-2015, 11:56 AM
WTF, this is getting ridiculous, what the hell is his infatuation with Blake? How the hell can the ENTIRE world see that Blake is not cutting it but Tomlin can't? To be a fly on the wall in the room where this was decided. Blake is going to cost us a game going forward at some point, and now it will be a game we can not afford to lose. I don't hate Tomlin, but if Blake costs us a game due to missed tackles or blown assignments and we miss the playoffs, or worse lose in the playoffs, Tomlin needs to be fired.

cold-hard-steel
12-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Tomlin is a fucking idiot. He continues to make stupid decisions that aren't in the best interest of the team.

Damn dude please take that back . PLEASE !

SteelerFanInStl
12-22-2015, 12:09 PM
Damn dude please take that back . PLEASE !

Why? It's 100% the truth. There's absolutely no valid reason to continue to start Blake and I'm tired of this shit.

Steel Peon
12-22-2015, 12:09 PM
Yeah! And the dumbass Broncos didn't cut or demote CB Bradley Roby either, even after AB stiff armed him into the ground. You wanna talk about morons.

Born2Steel
12-22-2015, 12:18 PM
I seem to remember this was the Mike Mitchell thread just last season.

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 12:20 PM

Last year it was Polamalu and Ike Taylor.

Born2Steel
12-22-2015, 12:21 PM
oh yeah...

Craic
12-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Ain't that the truth.

Blake sure ain't lighting it up. And yes, he has earned himself a pine-ride. But I do want to see him in camp next year. I don't necessarily want to see him come out of camp on this team, however.

And honestly, I feel the exact same way about Jarvis Jones. If he were smart, he'd get on his knees and beg J. Harrison to take him home and let him live with James all offseason.

Mojouw
12-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Yeah! And the dumbass Broncos didn't cut or demote CB Bradley Roby either, even after AB stiff armed him into the ground. You wanna talk about morons.

I see we both saw that! Something about great minds...

steelreserve
12-22-2015, 01:15 PM
WTF, this is getting ridiculous, what the hell is his infatuation with Blake? How the hell can the ENTIRE world see that Blake is not cutting it but Tomlin can't? To be a fly on the wall in the room where this was decided. Blake is going to cost us a game going forward at some point, and now it will be a game we can not afford to lose. I don't hate Tomlin, but if Blake costs us a game due to missed tackles or blown assignments and we miss the playoffs, or worse lose in the playoffs, Tomlin needs to be fired.

That is exactly what is going to happen. Next time Blake is going to get us into a hole that's either too big or too late to get out of. He will probably cost us a playoff game. The season flushed down the tubes for this idiot who CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE, when there's a better player on the bench. And after we all saw it in THE most black-and-white, stark contrast possible in the last game. Before. After. Before. After. How much more obvious does it need to be?

No, it was not all because of the scheme or because of who he was covering. The guy just flat-out sucks. Stupid. Just downright stupid.

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 01:46 PM

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 02:07 PM

steel striker
12-22-2015, 02:19 PM
I don't get this from Tomlin for the love of God start Boykin!