PDA

View Full Version : Steelers cornerback William Gay making every interception count

stillers4me
12-20-2015, 08:51 AM
As the all-time leader in interceptions returned for touchdown in his Hall of Fame career, Rod Woodson knows a thing or two about what it takes for a cornerback to change the outcome of the game with defensive scores.

Woodson returned 12 of his 71 career interceptions for touchdowns — five of those in 10 seasons with the Steelers — often displaying the offensive skills on runbacks that also made him a dangerous kick and punt returner. Woodson had two kickoff returns and two punt returns for touchdown in his Steelers career.

When Woodson got his hands on the ball, whether as a cornerback or later in his career as a safety, he had one thought in mind: Get to the end zone.

“The most dangerous defender is the defender with the ball in his hands,” Woodson said. “Most guys play defensive football. They don’t become offensive-minded when the ball is in the air or when they get the ball in their hands. They get complacent about making the play.”

But even Woodson hasn’t seen anything like Steelers cornerback William Gay, who has performed one of the most incredible feats in NFL history..........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/20/Steelers-cornerback-William-Gay-making-every-interception-count/stories/201512200118

cold-hard-steel
12-20-2015, 09:09 AM
I know it may sound absurd,But to me it seems like the field must shrink for this defense to really be effective.I don't like it,but it just seems thats the way it is.If you really put some thought into it it does make sense.Wide open spaces they fold up covering too much space i guess. But you condense the field,and they play pretty well.Less ground to cover i suppose.It is working thus far so be it.Keep the pedal to the metal i say.

Hawkman
12-20-2015, 10:09 AM
What I like best about this article is that all these pick 6s have come in the last three seasons, which tells me, he has gotten better at reading the QB. The way he sniffs the end zone.....maybe he should try returning kick offs.