PDA

View Full Version : Steelers now among favorites to win Super Bowl

hawaiiansteeler
12-20-2015, 01:13 AM
Steelers now among favorites to win Super Bowl

Rob Rossi, Of The Pittsburgh Tribune Review
December 19, 2015

PITTSBURGH — Just for kicks, I spent Thursday morning trolling the web for what easily can be scored on any corner of the Las Vegas strip.

Wow, did they seemingly live up to their name.

The Steelers are now among the favorites to win the Super Bowl.

Didn't make sense. Then I looked into the past Super Bowl champions. Turns out, the Steelers are playing like about 70 percent of them.

With a fifth-ranked scoring offense and 11th-rated scoring defense, the Steelers are in line with 34 Super Bowl champions whose scoring rankings were within six slots of one another. That group includes three of the four Steelers and Patriots teams coached to titles by Chuck Noll and Bill Belichick, respectively, and each of Bill Walsh's three San Francisco squads.

It's not about getting hot at the right time or defense winning championships. It's mostly about the offense and defense not being at opposite ends of the NFL universe. If that's the case, it usually takes an all-time unit — think of those defenses in Chicago, Baltimore and Pittsburgh during the 1985, 2000 and 2008 seasons — to overcome a big gap.

So maybe the people in Sin City know something about these Steelers that we're just not seeing. Or perhaps they're able to see Ben Roethlisberger for what he's become: the best football player in the world.

And a lot of times, that player's team wins the Super Bowl. Not always. Tom Brady's 2007 Patriots won every game but the Super Bowl.

The Steelers have looked a lot like those Patriots during the past five weeks, rolling up 30 points even when they click on only, like, two cylinders.

A 33-20 win at Cincinnati on Sunday required a defensive score and a bunch of field goals. A lot can be taken from that victory.

My take was that on a day when they wasted some chances, the Steelers still scored 26 points on a top-10 defense on the road.

"We definitely could have been better on offense," tight end Heath Miller said. "Nobody is happy with field goals."

Better than when the kicker misses them, Heath.

To think, it could come down to missed field goals by one of the Steelers' many former kickers that prevents this offense from getting a crack at the postseason spotlight. As it stands, the Steelers are 8-5 and probably need to win out to be one of the AFC's six playoff participants.

Barring self-induced turnovers, no defense — not even Denver's NFL best today — looks capable of even slightly slowing down Big Ben and Co.

Did you know the Steelers are plus-51 in point differential in the six full games Roethlisberger has played?

They're also 3-3 in those games. Roethlisberger tossed six interceptions in losses at New England and Seattle and against the Bengals. Not all were his fault.

He's human, but he only looks that way if he's throwing it to the other guys.

His offense has averaged 69 snaps and 428 yards in four games against top-10 defenses belonging to the Patriots, Seahawks and Bengals (twice).

Roethlisberger's 8.69 yards per pass attempt ranks second in the NFL.

We're watching something special right now with Roethlisberger. And what we're watching is the primary reason Sin City thinks the Steel City's team is among the Super Bowl favorites.

http://touch.mcall.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-85374336/

steelreserve
12-20-2015, 04:10 AM
Well. This all depends on what happens tomorrow, much like our entire season does.

Beat Denver, and we're a freight train that's rolling at 100 miles an hour. Nobody wants to play us.

Lose to Denver, and we're one of the most talented teams on paper, but we're on the outside looking in. What a shame, wouldn't it have been fun, but by the time the Jets are getting blown out by the Patriots in the conference championship, that's a month old and nobody even remember anything except omfg, Tom Brady and how he totally doesn't participate in Tijuana donkey shows.

Please, just win the f'n game.

ALLD
12-20-2015, 06:43 AM
Steelers have an opportunity to put the first game of the season and all the other boneheaded, stupid trick plays behind them. I think more than anything Ben senses his mortality and the fact he is closer to the end of his career than the beginning. Any wasted opportunities he will regret going forward since there is nothing he can do about the past at this point.

Tomlin is going to need to become more rational in how he schemes including who plays considering the personnel that is available. No slow starts on offense and simply go and execute the plays. As long as we score 30 points and do not give away the game on defense or STs, then the Steelers should at least make the AFC Championship game.

86WARD
12-20-2015, 06:47 AM
They are definitely playing hot right now and this is obviously what you meant at this time of year. You want to be hot and have it snowball into something great! They are one of the "healthier" teams at the moment which is also, obviously, a plus. Combine those with a great QB and it's the recipe for Super success.

Count Steeler
12-20-2015, 06:51 AM
1 at a time. Must whine today, no loose.

86WARD
12-20-2015, 07:02 AM
1 at a time. Must whine today, no loose.

What....do you think you are on the Ravens board? WAKE UP COUNT!!!

ThorndikeFFA
12-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Auto correct is a bitch!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. How can we be a 'favorite to win the Super Bowel' when we're not even playoff qualified? *boggle*

Hawkman
12-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Auto correct is a bitch!

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. How can we be a 'favorite to win the Super Bowel' when we're not even playoff qualified? *boggle*

Yeah, I'm sure the Steelers aren't thinking about anything but today's game, and not disappointing the home crowd.
Speaking of which, when was the last time we played the Broncos at home? Did we ever do it during Ryan Clarke's tenure?

fansince'76
12-20-2015, 10:24 AM
How can we be a 'favorite to win the Super Bowel' when we're not even playoff qualified? *boggle*

Yep. Gotta actually qualify for the postseason first.

st33lersguy
12-20-2015, 10:29 AM
We are not even in yet, let's make the playoffs first

salamander
12-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Doesn't mean a damn thing if we don't make the playoffs. Gotta make it to the dance first.

cold-hard-steel
12-20-2015, 11:16 AM
I think we need to #1-keep Ben pretty clean and maybe change up to dink and dunk style to get rid of the ball quick. #2 try to run that rock. Even try some D.Williams screen plays to help loosin up the pass rush. #3 Create our own havoc with a fierce pass rush , and help to take the pressure off our secondary. #4 Don't sweat it if they get the ball inside our 50 yard line. Condensed field could actually be to our advantage , provided our tackling is sound. #5 Keep our guys healthy , cause we will need them next week too.

plenewken
12-20-2015, 11:18 AM
How could we be considered one of the favorites to win the SB when we're not in the playoffs at this point?

katmandu
12-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Doesn't mean a damn thing if we don't make the playoffs. Gotta make it to the dance first.They better play like they are IN the playoffs RIGHT NOW!

steelreserve
12-20-2015, 12:22 PM
I think we need to #1-keep Ben pretty clean and maybe change up to dink and dunk style to get rid of the ball quick. #2 try to run that rock. Even try some D.Williams screen plays to help loosin up the pass rush. #3 Create our own havoc with a fierce pass rush , and help to take the pressure off our secondary. #4 Don't sweat it if they get the ball inside our 50 yard line. Condensed field could actually be to our advantage , provided our tackling is sound. #5 Keep our guys healthy , cause we will need them next week too.

I would replace all of that with keep doing the same thing we're doing now, except bench Blake and Allen, and then we have an offense scoring 30+ points and a defense that's at least OK.

This Denver game REALLY is the season here. Since the Jets won a game I really wish they would've lost yesterday, and Kansas City has cupcakes, plus the head-to-head tiebreaker over us thanks to the Haley Turtle ... we lose today and we're basically counting on the Bills to win a meaningless game at the end of the season, and we all know how that type of shit usually turns out.

Moose
12-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Damn shame we didn't win the games we should've.........ratbirds, bungholes games. ALL games are most wins!

86WARD
12-20-2015, 12:31 PM
JUST WIN BABY!

steelerdude15
12-20-2015, 03:13 PM
JUST WIN BABY!

You just cursed us. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
12-20-2015, 04:22 PM
With defensive play like this, they would be lucky to go one-and-done again

HollywoodSteel
12-20-2015, 04:30 PM
WARNING: this belongs in game day thread as I am Hyde version of me, punching walls and anything else stupid enough to get in my way right now.

How about this for an uncurse - We will not make the playoffs, not should we. Forgot about all those close games we would have won if not for horrific coaching decisions, PI against us that were t called, and the Steelers not being good enough to overcome any of that. We don't belong in the playoffs if we get embarrassed by a playoff team with a backup QB On our home field. We would be one and out. The thing that's tricked into thinking we have a Super Bowl caliber team is our timely turnovers. But this secondary so butt awful that not even a good front seven helps them. And our offense that should be breaking records would be doing just that if we only faced less than great defenses, but guess what? A good defense is all you need to make sure we won't Outscore you and your backup QB.

hawaiiansteeler
12-20-2015, 07:55 PM
WARNING: this belongs in game day thread as I am Hyde version of me, punching walls and anything else stupid enough to get in my way right now.

How about this for an uncurse - We will not make the playoffs, not should we. Forgot about all those close games we would have won if not for horrific coaching decisions, PI against us that were t called, and the Steelers not being good enough to overcome any of that. We don't belong in the playoffs if we get embarrassed by a playoff team with a backup QB On our home field. We would be one and out. The thing that's tricked into thinking we have a Super Bowl caliber team is our timely turnovers. But this secondary so butt awful that not even a good front seven helps them. And our offense that should be breaking records would be doing just that if we only faced less than great defenses, but guess what? A good defense is all you need to make sure we won't Outscore you and your backup QB.

good job, your uncurse worked! :thumbsup:

86WARD
12-20-2015, 09:14 PM
You just cursed us. :chuckle:

Or did I?!?!?!?