PDA

View Full Version : Esiason: ‘Burfict should be suspended for at least 2 games’

hawaiiansteeler
12-19-2015, 05:20 PM
Boomer Esiason: ‘Vontaze Burfict should be suspended for at least two games’

December 18, 2015

https://cbsjimrome.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/gettyimages-501213104.jpg?w=594&h=360&crop=1

Boomer Esiason played over 10 seasons in one of the most heated rivalries in the NFL, the Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers. He joined The Jim Rome Show on Friday and shared his reaction to the two teams brawling on the field and on social media this season. The 1988 NFL MVP didn’t show favoritism towards his Bengals allegiance either.

“First and foremost, its starts with Vontaze Burfict and it starts with the tackle that he hit Le’Veon Bell on the first time they went around,” Esiason told The Jim Rome Show, of the hit that ended the running back’s season. “And then of course, [Vince] Williams from the Pittsburgh Steelers tweeting death threats and things of that nature. The NFL needed to step in right then and there and do something about it. So then it leads to the intensity and pregame festivities, if you will, between the two teams last week.”

Esiason also said the NFL didn’t come down hard enough with their fine on Burfict for his hit on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger during the Steelers’ 33-20 win last week.

“I think Vontaze Burfict was fined $70,000 for three different infractions. I didn’t see the other two, but I did see the one in which he dove to the back of Ben Roethlisberger’s legs. My own personal opinion is that Vontaze Burfict should be suspended for at least two games,” Esiason said. “This guy has a history, there are issues with him. One of the reasons why he fell in the draft was because teams knew there was going to be issues with him, and when you do that on the field of play, where you legitimately try to hurt an opposing teams quarterback, and you know I’m a former Cincinnati Bengal, but that doesn’t mean I’m asking for guys to do stupid things on the field to hurt another player. That, in my estimation, is crossing the line, and that’s why I do believe he should be suspended for at least two games. The only way you’re going to make these people understand that the rules are being in place for the safety of the players that are playing. The only way you’re going to make a difference is if you take the game away from them as opposed to the money.”

Esiason did not buy Burfict’s excuse of being pushed into Roethlisberger’s legs. “No way. No way. No,” Esiason said.

to read rest of article:

http://jimrome.com/2015/12/18/boomer-esiason-vontaze-burfict-should-be-suspended-for-at-least-two-games/

HollywoodSteel
12-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Props to Boomer for showing some uncharacteristic objectivity here. But there are just some cases where you'd need to contort into a pretzel in order to justify some crazy bias in your own head. Like how some Pats fans were right out there with the pitchforks and torches when Goodel conducted his (purely politically motivated) injustices against Ben, Harrison, & Clark to some extent; had no real opinion about Bounty Gate; and his handling of all the domestic abuse cases were acceptable misjudgments by Kraft's BFF. Yet NOW Goodel deserves to be executed for: first, not handling Spygate below the radar as the "no big deal" incident that it was, and not dissolving the Ravens and Colts franchises before setting himself on fire for the GRAND INQUISITION (that was probably worse than any real incision that some Spaniards were doing some place so far away from Boston that who gives a sh*& about it?) conducted against The OBVIOUS good guys in this world of, not only the NFL, but in the world of the world.

SteelerFanInStl
12-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Wow, that's a surprise.

When it's so bad that even a big Bengal homer like Boomer says that he should be suspended for multiple games, why did the NFL do so little?

st33lersguy
12-19-2015, 08:05 PM
You know you've screwed up when you're a Bungal and Boomer goes after you. Vontaze Barfass, you are a lost cause

ALLD
12-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Barfbag is on the radar. Maybe next time he slips up they throw the Bountygate book at him.

Count Steeler
12-19-2015, 08:23 PM
Quite clearly the NFL is overwhelmed with this whole process now. They have zero integrity in the court of public opinion since the Ray Rice debacle.

To not even bring Burfict in and have a discussion as to why they should not slap him with a suspension is beyond me. In fact, the NFLPA should go after him, because brothers should not be trying to take out brothers intentionally.

86WARD
12-19-2015, 08:57 PM
Good for Boomer. 'Bout time someone in the media acknowledged it.