PDA

View Full Version : Chris Boswell is kicking his way into Steelers history

hawaiiansteeler
12-18-2015, 07:04 PM
Chris Boswell is kicking his way into Steelers history

AP - Sports

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/E19TmxNTBF7TafaxONTK8w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztmaT1maWxsO2g9NjM5O3B5b2ZmPT A7cT03NTt3PTk2MA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201512181434524922740

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Chris Boswell spent the first four weeks of the season looking for a job.

Now, he's on the verge of ending the year as the most productive rookie kicker in Pittsburgh Steelers history.

That's the kind of stability Boswell brought to a position the Steelers struggled to fill after the reliable Shaun Suisham went out with a season-ending knee injury during training camp.

''He's definitely brought consistency and a level of dependability that we can count on when we get down in the red zone and need a field goal,'' long-snapper Greg Warren said. ''I know it takes a lot of pressure off the team when you have a guy like that you can count on.''

The Steelers didn't initially have that after they lost Suisham, the most accurate kicker in franchise history. Garrett Hartley pulled his hamstring during a preseason game and the Steelers added Josh Scobee in a trade. They later released him after he missed two fourth-quarter kicks against Baltimore.

Boswell, the team's fourth kicker, has thrived for two months. He hasn't given much thought to his success, though.

''I'm not really worried about what I've done so far,'' Boswell said. ''You just have to worry about the next one. You can't think about the last one or worry about what you've done in the past. You have to keep it up and stay consistent.''

Boswell has converted 24 of 26 field goal attempts and 18 of 19 extra points. Since making his NFL debut in Week 5 against San Diego, Boswell leads all kickers in field goals and points. He has connected on 92.3 percent of his field goals, good for fifth in the league - tops among Steeler rookies and first-year kickers and third-best in team history.

Boswell is one field goal from tying Kris Brown's record for the most by a Steelers rookie or first-year kicker set in 1999. He's also 10 points shy of becoming the third rookie or first-year kicker with 100 points in a season.

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chris-boswell-kicking-way-steelers-history-224957133--nfl.html

salamander
12-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Who woulda thunk it?

Craic
12-18-2015, 07:47 PM
I was looking at contract numbers earlier today as well. Squeeze'em is something like a 2 mill. hit on the cap. We could gain all that back if we kept Boswell. Not sold on the idea yet, but it's there.

hawaiiansteeler
12-18-2015, 08:02 PM
Who woulda thunk it?

the 4th time's a charm...:thumbsup:

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/64155285.jpg

salamander
12-18-2015, 08:21 PM
If we only we had signed the Boz to begin with instead of trading for Scobee.....

lipps83
12-18-2015, 08:30 PM
If we only we had signed the Boz to begin with instead of trading for Scobee.....

Meh, I just look at it like we used that pick for a super awesome kicker.

salamander
12-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Meh, I just look at it like we used that pick for a super awesome kicker.

My point was that we wasted the draft pick on Scobee and he lost games for us because he sacked majorly.

st33lersguy
12-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Steelers stumbled on a great addition at kicker

86WARD
12-18-2015, 11:23 PM
I was looking at contract numbers earlier today as well. Squeeze'em is something like a 2 mill. hit on the cap. We could gain all that back if we kept Boswell. Not sold on the idea yet, but it's there.

Definitely created a kicking controversy for 2016 training camp...the stuff Hard Knocks is made of...

JKLTO
12-19-2015, 12:54 AM
The Boz is GREAT! I love his reaction after seemingly every one of his kicks - which is, to say, there isn't one! He might have just kicked a 48+ yard FG successfully, but still somehow walks non-nonchalantly off the field looking as though he actually missed it! Seriously, I love it.

Psycho Ward 86
12-19-2015, 01:55 AM
This is great news for Boz himself, but it doesnt bode well about your offense's red zone TD percentage when our kicker is kicking so many field goals. Im curious to see what that % is right now. Can you imagine if we become highly efficient in the redzone? Jesus on ice skates, we could be looking at breaking all time scoring records

fansince'76
12-19-2015, 06:41 AM
This is great news for Boz himself, but it doesnt bode well about your offense's red zone TD percentage when our kicker is kicking so many field goals. Im curious to see what that % is right now. Can you imagine if we become highly efficient in the redzone? Jesus on ice skates, we could be looking at breaking all time scoring records

Currently, we're 5th in points per drive (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff), which isn't too shabby considering that our return game sucks and we usually start with such lousy field position.

polamalubeast
12-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Currently, we're 5th in points per drive (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff), which isn't too shabby considering that our return game sucks and we usually start with such lousy field position.

And that was without Ben for 4 game. The Steelers were first in points per drive before the game against the Bengals with Ben.

I prefer a FG than a Punt too.

ALLD
12-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Trade Sushi because somebody is going to need a K.

86WARD
12-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Trade Sushi because somebody is going to need a K.

Do people really trade for kickers though?!?

oh..........never mind.......

stillers4me
12-19-2015, 07:42 AM
Do people really trade for kickers though?!?

oh..........never mind.......

:chuckle:

I love me some Sushi, but I think he's a goner.

SteelerFanInStl
12-19-2015, 08:21 AM
I don't know why anyone is even talking about Sushi any more. Boswell has proven to be even better in just his first season and he's much much cheaper with a much stronger leg. Bye Sushi.

st33lersguy
12-19-2015, 08:41 AM
Plus Boz is about a decade younger so he can last for a longer time

steel striker
12-19-2015, 11:33 AM
He has really been a pleasant surprise and, he has the right mindset the only kick that matters is the next one.

fansince'76
12-19-2015, 11:46 AM
I don't know why anyone is even talking about Sushi any more. Boswell has proven to be even better in just his first season and he's much much cheaper with a much stronger leg. Bye Sushi.

Yep. A couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have said so, but their choice has been made for them as far as keeping Boz and letting Sushi go.

hawaiiansteeler
12-19-2015, 11:33 PM
DeAngelo Williams has been a valuable acquisition but who has been the Steelers' top surprise this season?

by Jim Wexell

PITTSBURGH -- He can't be their Rookie of the Year, but Chris Boswell would win Pittsburgh Steelers First-Year Player of the Year if there was such an award. At the very least he's the team's Most Pleasant Surprise.

Boswell is coming off a 4-for-4 kicking performance against the Cincinnati Bengals that gave him 24 field goals in 26 attempts this season. He's one field goal shy of tying Kris Brown's rookie/first-year team record of 25 field goals in 1999. Boswell will also become the third rookie/first-year kicker in team history to score 100 points in a season with 10 more points. The others are Brown (105) and Matt Bahr (104 in 1979).

Boswell hasn't even played the last three games after missing the first four, but it's not just quantity for Boswell, who's converted 92.3 percent of his attempts to rank third on the team's all-time list behind Shaun Suisham (93.8 percent in 2013) and Gary Anderson (93.3 percent in 1993).

Boswell also has a strong leg, as his two 51-yard field goals attest. He's missed only from 41 and 47 yards, and each was in a game the Steelers won.

"I don't really pay attention to it too much right now," Boswell said of the statistics. "I hear about it here and there but I'll take a look at all that stuff at the end of the year. I don't want to get caught up in it and start paying attention to it now and start worrying about stats. I just want to worry about one kick at a time, and make it."

The 24-year-old is ice on the field, and he was also unfazed by adversity off it. Boswell was cut by the Houston Texans as a rookie last year and then by the New York Giants this year. The Steelers, struggling with injuries and ineffectiveness at the position, signed Boswell following a tryout at Heinz Field on Oct. 3. He has stepped in and performed as if he's been kicking in the league all his life.

"Honestly I don't think I was ready last year," said the Forth Worth native. "I'm still not where I want to be right now, mechanics-wise and with my footwork. I kind of took last year as my redshirt year and worked on little things that would help me a lot. Kicking with Josh Brown up in New York really fine-tuned a lot of things, just watching him, picking up stuff that he does, him talking to me, watching film and stuff like that. But I believe that not making it last year was definitely a good thing for me because I don't believe I was ready for it."

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1624342-steelers-notebook-most-pleasant-surprise

86WARD
12-20-2015, 07:08 AM
Williams, AV and Boswell would get this "award" from me. Williams should be in the conversation for Team MVP. But if I had to pick "top surprise", for me, it would be between AV and Boswell...

I loved the Williams signing so this isn't that much of a surprise. AV played extremely well in the preseason, not this good, but the arrow was pointing up. Throughout all those kicking woes and threads, I continued to say to bring in fresh, young talent off the street. I never thought it would turn out this good and that they would be able to pull it off, but so far, they have. The Boz has been great! I can't really complain about him and he's stepped up to the challenge. He'd get the biggest surprise award from me.

Tank McGee
12-20-2015, 02:18 PM
I'm really happy for the kid. It's great to see a player come off the street and excel when he gets a chance.

hawaiiansteeler
12-20-2015, 07:49 PM

what's our cap hit if we release Sushi?

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2015, 08:12 PM

Don't know the answer to that. Maybe someone else can answer?

86WARD
12-20-2015, 09:11 PM

I think it would be $1.71M if they release him next season. If they kept him, he'd be a $3.53M hit.

Shoes
12-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Got to keep Boz.

lipps83
12-20-2015, 09:44 PM
This guy is awesome. Watching the Ravens game, I was envious they have Tucker. Just a few years in the league and already one of the top kickers. Steelers have always struggled to find an adequate kicker since forever. Have Suisham, accurate but struggles to hit from 50 due to lack of leg strength and can't hit the touchback regularly on the kick off.

4 kickers into this season, and this kid has been a dream. Accurate - yep. Leg strength - yep. Can hit a 50 and further - yep.

If they keep him for the long term, this can be a position you don't have to worry about for 20 years.

Might be the first Steelers kickers jersey people might actually buy.

tube517
12-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Bos hit some nice kickoffs today. Most were not returnable

fansince'76
12-20-2015, 10:05 PM
Another solid outing for Boz. Even the one the Broncos got a piece of bounced through the uprights.

hawaiiansteeler
01-04-2016, 11:46 PM
WORST PLAYERS AT EVERY POSITION IN WEEK 17

BRYSON VESNAVER

As the regular season came to a close in Week 17, there were some truly great performances, but also some really poor ones, highlighted every week on this team. Those individuals who would rather forget their Week 17 outings are highlighted here, opposite, PFF’s Team of the Week.

These are worst individual performances, by position, in the final regular season outing of the 2015-2016 season.

Kicker: Chris Boswell, Steelers

Boswell missed a 48-yard field goal, and forced just one touchback on six kickoffs.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/04/pro-worst-players-at-every-position-in-week-17/

Psycho Ward 86
01-05-2016, 12:54 AM
Boswell is honestly just a younger Suisham with just a little more leg. High FG percentage, probably wont be asked to attempt difficult 50+'s (although part of it is our agressiveness in going for it), and awful on kick offs

salamander
01-05-2016, 04:18 AM
He hasn't missed many kicks so we really can't complain. Honestly, I'm getting tired of seeing all these PFF grades. We won the game, that's the only "grade" I care about at this point.

NCSteeler
01-05-2016, 05:06 AM
WORST PLAYERS AT EVERY POSITION IN WEEK 17

BRYSON VESNAVER

As the regular season came to a close in Week 17, there were some truly great performances, but also some really poor ones, highlighted every week on this team. Those individuals who would rather forget their Week 17 outings are highlighted here, opposite, PFF’s Team of the Week.

These are worst individual performances, by position, in the final regular season outing of the 2015-2016 season.

Kicker: Chris Boswell, Steelers

Boswell missed a 48-yard field goal, and forced just one touchback on six kickoffs.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/04/pro-worst-players-at-every-position-in-week-17/

As with Dupree, is he hitting the wall? Has he ever attempted this many FG and KOs in his college career?

Count Steeler
01-05-2016, 05:17 AM
How many KO were designed to be run back? ST goal is to have opponents start closer to the their goal line than the 20.

Psycho Ward 86
01-05-2016, 11:33 AM
How many KO were designed to be run back? ST goal is to have opponents start closer to the their goal line than the 20.

oh please, Boswell clearly has a "meh" leg. thats good enough for us though