PDA

View Full Version : Question for the board?

zulater
12-18-2015, 08:45 AM
I'll get a picture posted later, and if someone can do a gif for me it would be much appreciated, but here's my question. The illegal crack back block call on Antonio Brown in the first quarter, was that call valid? I've rewatched the play several times and I suppose I'm not familiar enough with the rule to know. :huh:
But to me it didn't look in any way dirty. He blocked a player facing him waist high.

This penalty more than likely cost the Steelers a 14-0 lead. Then the further non call of pass interference on the Bengals when Martavis Byrant's left arm and off shoulder were clearly held before the ball's arrival into the end zone.

If I'm correct in my understanding of the game's rules the Steelers likely would have sprinted out to a 21 point lead in a properly officiated game as opposed to a 13-0 lead.

But maybe I'm wrong? :noidea:

NCSteeler
12-18-2015, 10:00 AM
the block looked legal to me, the player obviously saw the block coming and it was not blindside

Steelman
12-18-2015, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing it again because during live action I thought it looked legal.

Just another reason why that officiating crew needs to never see NFL action again.

steelreserve
12-18-2015, 10:53 AM
There definitely was nothing wrong with it, but the officials in that contest were obviously smoking crack all day long.

BigNastyDefense
12-18-2015, 11:55 AM
Looked legal to me, but who the hell knows what's legal and what's not anymore? I know they changed the rule on those blocks after Hines Ward broke a Bengal's linebacker's jaw on a crack back block, so maybe it didn't fall within the rule.

But AB didn't get fined for the block, so I assume it was a legal block and those refs were just an all-around dumpster fire.

smokin3000gt
12-18-2015, 01:21 PM
I believe the league uses the refs to keep the games close. If someone is running away with the game then they may try to balance it by calling a holding or other penalty they might not have otherwise called or let slide.

Craic
12-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I'd like to see it again. I went and checked out the rules, and supposedly, crack back blocks can't go low or high. In fact, they basically can only hit right about waist level.

Count Steeler
12-18-2015, 03:47 PM
I seem to remember even the announcers were puzzled. The reaction was kind of like "maybe the refs called the wrong number".

SteelerFanInStl
12-18-2015, 03:50 PM
That wasn't an illegal block. It was a B.S. flag.

zulater
12-18-2015, 06:39 PM
The NFL doubled down and fined Antonio for the alleged illegal crack back block. So maybe it was a legit call? I saw a still picture on the internet this morning ( which for the life of me I can't find now) and it looked pretty clear that the block was waist high and the Bengal he blocked was facing him. Again I don;t really know enough about the specific rule to know if the call was properly called or not? Still don't.

But what I will tell you is that AB got screwed out of a first down right at the end of the first half. I've watched the play enough times to know beyond any reasonable doubt that if the play is called right, Antonio should have been awarded forward progress, which would have netted the Steelers a new set of downs and a chance to get a touchdown before the end of the half instead of the fg they settled for. Now obviously there was no guarantee the Steelers would have got the TD. Ben would have had to go and spike the ball, so the Steelers would likely have had two chances at the end zone from the 26 yard line with about 25 seconds left after the spike. But still the play was poorly officiated. And the Steelers lost a chance to end the half with a touchdown as a result.

Craic
12-18-2015, 07:11 PM
I still say the easiest way to remove most of these penalties and fines is to simply make the field a little wider. Maybe 10 yards or so. The problem is the players have grown bigger and faster, but they're on the same size field, which simply means more contact on every play for every player, and at faster speeds.

HollywoodSteel
12-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Are we talking about the block where AB kind of dropped down on all fours, but still hit the defender around the waist area with his shoulder? It's possible that you're not allowed to "go low" by intentionally going to the ground on a block, rather then just hitting low on the defender's body, but that's just me guessing at why the block might have been illegal. If the defender didn't adjust then it's possible he would have been hit low. So, since AB was doing something dangerous it's a flag. Like if a defender dives at the QB's legs but the QB jumps over him or something, it should still be a flag for the reckless intent. Something like that?

NCSteeler
12-19-2015, 03:26 AM
http://imgur.com/a/1kqNU

These are out of order but you get the idea

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

86WARD
12-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Usually a crack back block happens when a runner is trying to get around the edge...not really when a runner is heading into the LOS. The one I remember most was the Favre one when he was with Minnesota that injured a Bears player.

By NFLs definition:

An offensive strategy in which a player spread out wide near the sideline will run back towards the ball at the snap in order to seal off a defender from the wide side and open up the field for a runner. A crackback block is illegal if contact is made below the waist, and can be assessed a fifteen yard penalty. Crackback blocks are most useful on plays meant to get around the edge of the defense and gain yardage.

From those photos above, Brown didn't make contact below the waste. But maybe if he blocked with his head up he could've made the adjustment to be sure...;)

teegre
12-19-2015, 08:46 AM
The NFL doubled down and fined Antonio for the alleged illegal crack back block. So maybe it was a legit call? I saw a still picture on the internet this morning ( which for the life of me I can't find now) and it looked pretty clear that the block was waist high and the Bengal he blocked was facing him. Again I don;t really know enough about the specific rule to know if the call was properly called or not? Still don't.

But what I will tell you is that AB got screwed out of a first down right at the end of the first half. I've watched the play enough times to know beyond any reasonable doubt that if the play is called right, Antonio should have been awarded forward progress, which would have netted the Steelers a new set of downs and a chance to get a touchdown before the end of the half instead of the fg they settled for. Now obviously there was no guarantee the Steelers would have got the TD. Ben would have had to go and spike the ball, so the Steelers would likely have had two chances at the end zone from the 26 yard line with about 25 seconds left after the spike. But still the play was poorly officiated. And the Steelers lost a chance to end the half with a touchdown as a result.

CRACK BACK:
In my opinion, the defender looked at him; thus, not a crack back. But, in the interest of player safety, I could see them being overly cautious.

FORWARD PROGRESS:
Amen!!! That cost the Steelers 4 points. Even if they had placed the ball near the goal to gain, I'm sure that the Steelers would have gone for it on fourth-&-inches. Either way, that call changed the game.

Earlier, Wheaton got pushed back a full 5 yards. Instead of a 14-yard reception and a first down, it was second-&-one. The Steelers converted on the very next play, but still...

A few weeks ago, Russell Wilson slid a yard short of the marker... but, he slid two yards. They gave him the first down. It should have been where he started the slide (gave up so that he didn't get hit). That would have changed the game, as well (one less TD for Seattle).

tube517
12-19-2015, 09:12 AM
FORWARD PROGRESS:
Amen!!! That cost the Steelers 4 points. Even if they had placed the ball near the goal to gain, I'm sure that the Steelers would have gone for it on fourth-&-inches. Either way, that call changed the game.

Forward progress has also become a shady area now. It used to be that if you were driven back, you would be given the benefit of the doubt on the spot. Also, if you were driven back, they would blow the whistle if the progress has stopped. Not now. They whistle too late.