PDA

View Full Version : Gummi Worms and Cash Exchanges Inside the NFL's Best WR Room

Craic
12-17-2015, 12:07 PM
From an ESPN Blog, here's some insight into the WR room of the Steelers. Pretty interesting, especially that they do not have a playbook! What?! I also noticed the blurb about Brown at the end. More and more, he seems to be taking on a Hines Ward mentality.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/16823/gummi-worms-and-cash-exchanges-inside-the-nfls-best-wr-room

tube517
12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Just read this and you beat me to post it.

Yep, the part about AB being all business in the receivers' room sounds good. Dropped balls or bad route running = money out of your pocket

Mojouw
12-17-2015, 12:47 PM
Interesting insight on the nature of the coaching for the Steelers.

No playbook means you need to know the whole system all the time before you can really contribute. If we ASSUME this carries over to the defensive side of the ball as well - then suddenly much about this team makes some more sense.

1. Lance Moore doesn't play because it is likely that Justin Brown (longer in the system at the time) knew more of the system. Perhaps Moore is an old dog who couldn't or wouldn't learn new tricks? Public comments were likely a smokescreen for Moore not studying hard enough.

2. Boykin. Rinse. Repeat.

Makes one wonder...On a related note - the Steelers should jsut resign DHB now. I really don't care what he does or does not do on the field as a WR. It seems that he fills an invaluable leadership role and veteran example for the position group. I mean if he is willing, as a former #1 pick to bust his ass on special teams, learn the entire offensive system, and then get like 2 dozen targets per year - how is some 3rd or 4th round pick going to come in and bitch and moan?

86WARD
12-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Good read. Thanks for posting that as I refuse to peruse ESPN.

Craic
12-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Interesting insight on the nature of the coaching for the Steelers.

No playbook means you need to know the whole system all the time before you can really contribute. If we ASSUME this carries over to the defensive side of the ball as well - then suddenly much about this team makes some more sense.

1. Lance Moore doesn't play because it is likely that Justin Brown (longer in the system at the time) knew more of the system. Perhaps Moore is an old dog who couldn't or wouldn't learn new tricks? Public comments were likely a smokescreen for Moore not studying hard enough.

2. Boykin. Rinse. Repeat.

Makes one wonder...On a related note - the Steelers should jsut resign DHB now. I really don't care what he does or does not do on the field as a WR. It seems that he fills an invaluable leadership role and veteran example for the position group. I mean if he is willing, as a former #1 pick to bust his ass on special teams, learn the entire offensive system, and then get like 2 dozen targets per year - how is some 3rd or 4th round pick going to come in and bitch and moan?
I didn't think about that.

But, both of these OCs have been around the NFL for a very long time. They've seen how certain teams like to get a sneak peek so they can let the air out of team at the right time. :wink02:

Steelman
12-18-2015, 08:39 AM
Pretty good read coming from ESPN.