PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger still has issues with Sanders

hawaiiansteeler
12-16-2015, 11:32 PM
Roethlisberger still has issues with Sanders

Compiled by John Hickey
12/16/2015

Almost the first words from wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders after he left Pittsburgh for Denver two years back were that Broncos' QB Peyton Manning was a better leader than the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger.

Big Ben didn't much like that at the time, given that Manning hadn't thrown Sanders a pass in a regular season game at the time. And the topic has come up again with Pittsburgh and Denver meeting Sunday in the Steel City.

"Whether he meant it or not, it hurt in a sense that I tried so hard to keep him here last year and was always supporting him,'' Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"When he was down in practice, I always talked to him. When he had a baby, I was trying to help him. I was more disappointed he didn't reach out to me. I know he told some other guys `You know I love Ben, I didn't mean it like that.' I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that and I would have been fine with it.''

Still some bitterness there, we gather.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29262330/roethlisberger-still-has-issues-sanders

katmandu
12-17-2015, 12:14 AM
Just goes to prove what a young, immature punk Manny really is. Too bad he didn't possess the maturity and most importantly the GRATITUDE what a true, sincere FRIEND he had in Ben.

I don't know about you but people like Ben that are really, sincere, positive and supportive are RARE AS HELL ! Especially in this day and age of Technology, Reality TV and BS in politics! Even family members can be complete utter A-holes. So for Manny to act like an immature dickhead really is a damn shame.

I feel sorry for Manny and people like him.

Sorry....hit a nerve. I have family members that are like Manny that are truly ungrateful and totally lack gratitude because they are self-centered, Narcissistic, immature A-holes.

Rant over.

fansince'76
12-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Big Ben didn't much like that at the time, given that Manning hadn't thrown Sanders a pass in a regular season game at the time. And the topic has come up again with Pittsburgh and Denver meeting Sunday in the Steel City.

"Whether he meant it or not, it hurt in a sense that I tried so hard to keep him here last year and was always supporting him,'' Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"When he was down in practice, I always talked to him. When he had a baby, I was trying to help him. I was more disappointed he didn't reach out to me. I know he told some other guys `You know I love Ben, I didn't mean it like that.' I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that and I would have been fine with it.''

:rolleyes:

No, he said that in July of 2014.

Here is what he said earlier today to the PPG:

Ben Roethlisberger didn’t offer a “no comment” when he was asked about Emmanuel Sanders Wednesday morning. But he didn’t exactly go on at length about the receiver who spent four seasons with the Steelers from 2010-13.

The Steelers quarterback offered a 12-word response when asked if he keeps in touch with Sanders and if he is surprised at his success in Denver.

“He’s a good player, worked hard and he’s doing some great things,” Roethlisberger said.

Read more: Roethlisberger has thrived after big-name departures from Steelers (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/17/Roethlisberger-has-thrived-after-big-name-departures-from-Steelers/stories/201512170075)

I'm sick and tired of garbage "journalism." :coffee:

Psycho Ward 86
12-17-2015, 01:35 AM
good grief, no he doesnt. and even if Ben does, he didnt say anything in the media to indicate it (if you actually look at all of the context). this kind of crap is just hot air blown around by the media, just like the Todd Haley shit

86WARD
12-17-2015, 04:13 AM
Todd Haley and Emmanuel Sanders went out to dinner (at McDonalds) and secretly ragged on Ben he whole time. I'm pretty sure they are plotting something terrible for Sunday...

tube517
12-17-2015, 06:24 AM
Yeah, where's the 8 page paragraph where Ben hates Haley in this article? :jerkit:

BigNastyDefense
12-17-2015, 11:41 AM
I think Ben is happier with the weapons he has now. This is the greatest cast of offensive weapons Ben has had in his entire career. Part of the reason the Steelers didn't seem too desperate to bring Sanders back (even though Ben wanted him to return) was because there were big plays where he straight up dropped the ball (like the 2-point conversion against Baltimore on Thanksgiving).

He hasn't actually said anything indicating that there's still bitterness over what Sanders said. If he does, hopefully he takes it out on Denver's defense on Sunday afternoon.

hawaiiansteeler
12-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Big Ben on Emmanuel Sanders calling Peyton a better leader: 'It hurt'

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
December 16, 2015

Emmanuel Sanders spent his first four NFL seasons in Pittsburgh where he caught 161 passes for 2,030 yards and 11 touchdowns. He has matched those numbers in just 28 games with the Broncos (158 receptions, 2,192 yards, 13 TDs).

But even before Sanders caught his first pass in Denver, he announced that Peyton Manning was a better leader than Big Ben.

Here's Sanders in July 2014:

“I feel like Peyton is a far better leader, in terms of staying after practice, catching balls, wanting guys to get on the same page with him, things of that sort. This is the first time that I had a quarterback that stays every single day after practice, no matter what his accolades. He's not one of those guys you gotta go chase down. He's gonna be right at the same spot ready to work every single day. ... I've got so much love for Ben (but) at the same time, I'm not going to lie. I'm happy to be part of this organization and happy that Peyton is my quarterback.”

With the Broncos facing the Steelers on Sunday, Sanders' name was bound to come up.

“Whether he meant it or not, it hurt in a sense that I tried so hard to keep him here last year and was always supporting him,” Roethlisberger said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “When he was down in practice, I always talked to him. When he had a baby, I was trying to help him.

“I was more disappointed he didn't reach out to me. I know he told some other guys: ‘You know I love Ben, I didn't mean it like that.' I wish he would have reached out to me and just say that and I would have been fine with it.”

Sanders doubled-down a few months after his initial comments, telling NFL Network, “I have not one regret. If I said it, then I meant it. It wasn't meant as disrespect for anyone. I've got so much love for everybody over there in Pittsburgh, and they know it -- they know me. I didn't mean any harm.”

At the time, Antonio Brown called Sanders' comments "terrible" because "You don't throw your quarterback under the bus, the guy who makes you who you are." And Hall of Famer and former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis added that "You don't win a championship with a lack of leadership."

With Manning's sluggish start and subsequent injury, and Brock Osweiler learning on the job, Sanders' production has slipped this season. He still has 57 receptions for 788 yards and 4 touchdowns, but ranks just 65th in total value among all wideouts, according to Football Outsiders' metrics. A season ago, Sanders was 3rd.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... er-it-hurt

steel striker
12-17-2015, 02:06 PM
I'll still say that Manny has played alot better for Denver than he ever played for the Steelers. He had problems catching the football here and, I just remember in a couple of the Raven games he had big drops at key moments.

zulater
12-17-2015, 04:25 PM
Sanders problem in Pgh was never Ben, it was Antonio Brown.AB became what Sanders thought he was going to be. He was the third round pick. Antonio the 6th. Sanders got extensive playing time as a rookie. None of us were barely aware AB was on the roster until he exploded on the scene in the AFC Champ. game with his miracle game changing catch. Then through hard work being the first to practice the last to leave, and basically being a bug up Ben's ass AB got to the place Sanders felt should have been his. AB formed a kind of bond, a sort of trust with his qb that puts them in league with the likes of Unitas to Berry. Jurgenson to Taylor. Montana to Rice, Stabler to Biltinikoff. etc...

So essentially rather than deal with being the second best receiver on the team in my opinion Manny would put extra pressure on himself to outshine Antonio and when it wasn't happening, like so often happens when one gets frustrated by things outside of their control ( the fact AB was better than him) you start losing control of what you do control. Hence the big time dropsies, and a couple poorly timed fumbles. And of course similar to Mike Wallace he allowed money to influence his attitude. Ab got the contract, Sanders didn't.

So I think Sanders back handed comparison of Ben to Manning was largely fueled by Sanders jealously of Ben and Antonio's special bond.

hawaiiansteeler
02-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Emmanuel Sanders Says He Would Have ‘Won Some World Championships’ With Patriots

February 3, 2016
By Matt Dolloff, CBS Boston

https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/625-emmanuel-sanders-broncos-patriots.jpg?w=625&h=352&crop=1

BOSTON (CBS) — People love to play “What If?” games, if only to scratch a personal itch. Patriots fans love to make the “Brady could have 7 rings” argument, but there are haters and trolls lurking out there who have TB12 winning zero Super Bowls if Mo Lewis never put a crater in Drew Bledsoe’s chest.

Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders offered a delicious taste of “What If?” to reporters at San Jose for the Super Bowl, reflecting fondly on the opportunity to join the Patriots as a free agent in 2013 and what could have been had he signed with New England.

“It was definitely a cool opportunity,” Sanders said, according to Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald. “I still remember when my agent called me and said the Patriots were going to offer me an offer sheet. It was pretty cool, but it didn’t end up working out. I think if it would have worked out, I think I would have [signed] over there, and we would have won some world championships and it would have been awesome. But God is good now, and I’m playing for this great organization in the Broncos and having an opportunity to hopefully win my first Super Bowl.”

The ‘world championships’ part hurts. Even though the Patriots ended up winning Super Bowl XLIX with Brandon LaFell and Julian Edelman doing a fine job filling Sanders’ presumed role in the offense, they could have signed the now-Broncos receiver in 2013 when he played for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They agreed to terms with Sanders on a one-year, $2.5 million offer sheet in April of 2013, which the Steelers matched.

The painful part, if you recall, is that the Steelers entered the 2013 offseason in trouble with the salary cap. Several expensive contracts, including those of Ben Roethlisberger and Troy Polamalu, left the team in a tough spot to sign free agents. The Patriots could have practically priced the Steelers out of the deal if they went for an extra million or two with Sanders, but instead made it fairly easy for Pittsburgh to retain the receiver.

Sanders has been outstanding for the Broncos since signing a three-year, $15 million deal with them in 2014, and is playing in his second Super Bowl in three seasons. He has shown how his impeccable route running, ball skills and toughness could have been a great fit with the Patriots – especially, specifically in the 2013 season when Tom Brady’s lack of weapons ultimately doomed them.

If only the Steelers didn’t match that offer sheet, Champ Bailey didn’t pick off that pass, Bernard Pollard and T.J. Ward didn’t exist, and Reche Caldwell, Asante Samuel, and Wes Welker caught the ball, Brady and Belichick might have about 14 Super Bowls. If only.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/02/03/emmanuel-sanders-says-he-would-have-won-some-world-championships-with-patriots/

zulater
02-03-2016, 03:28 PM
Kinda makes you want to root extra hard for the Panthers now. Just to see Sanders blanked of a SB ring would make my Super Bowl Sunday.

silver & black
02-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Roethlisberger still has issues with Sanders

Compiled by John Hickey
12/16/2015

Almost the first words from wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders after he left Pittsburgh for Denver two years back were that Broncos' QB Peyton Manning was a better leader than the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29262330/roethlisberger-still-has-issues-sanders

I have to say.... for the most part, they are ALL immature little punks, no matter what team they play for.

- - - Updated - - -

[
QUOTE=hawaiiansteeler;527209]Roethlisberger still has issues with Sanders

Compiled by John Hickey
12/16/2015

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_29262330/roethlisberger-still-has-issues-sanders[/QUOTE]

I have to say.... for the most part, they are ALL immature little punks, no matter what team they play for.

hawaiiansteeler
02-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Yeah, where's the 8 page paragraph where Ben hates Haley in this article? :jerkit:

too bad Steelers Professor is now banned, he would be more than happy to tell you all about it...:gossip:

fansince'76
02-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Sanders has been outstanding for the Broncos since signing a three-year, $15 million deal with them in 2014, and is playing in his second Super Bowl in three seasons. He has shown how his impeccable route running, ball skills and toughness could have been a great fit with the Patriots – especially, specifically in the 2013 season when Tom Brady’s lack of weapons ultimately doomed them.

:rolleyes:

Really? Funny, the narrative I've always gathered from those frontrunning asshats is that they missed the SB in 2013 because Aqib Talib got hurt (http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/10318810/2013-nfl-playoffs-aqib-talib-new-england-patriots-injures-knee-vs-denver-broncos). :coffee:

If it wasn't for the rest of the league, they woulda won the last 15 SBs in a row! WOOOO! :jerkit:

As for Sanders, it's cool that he has found greener pastures and all that, but the guy did pretty much nothing but drop the damn ball when he was in Pittsburgh...

http://masdeporte.as.com/masdeporte/imagenes/2015/05/28/nfl/1432834468_619030_1432834973_noticia_grande.jpg

SteelerFanInStl
02-03-2016, 05:17 PM
As for Sanders, it's cool that he has found greener pastures and all that, but the guy did pretty much nothing but drop the damn ball when he was in Pittsburgh...

http://masdeporte.as.com/masdeporte/imagenes/2015/05/28/nfl/1432834468_619030_1432834973_noticia_grande.jpg

LOL, it's funny but every time I hear someone talk about how "great" Sanders is, this is all that I can think of. You could always count on Manny to drop the pass just when we needed it most.

As far as the Pats go, I was one of the people on this forum hoping that the Steelers wouldn't match that offer. We should've taken the draft choice.

fansince'76
02-03-2016, 05:25 PM
And another thing, as much as I dislike the Seahawks, even I have to admit that they weren't going to be denied in 2013. They would've curbstomped the Patriots that season just as badly as they did the Broncos (if not worse), Sanders or no.

86WARD
02-03-2016, 05:55 PM
LOL, it's funny but every time I hear someone talk about how "great" Sanders is, this is all that I can think of. You could always count on Manny to drop the pass just when we needed it most.

As far as the Pats go, I was one of the people on this forum hoping that the Steelers wouldn't match that offer. We should've taken the draft choice.

Agree.

Hawkman
02-03-2016, 06:33 PM
As for Sanders, but the guy did pretty much nothing but drop the damn ball when he was in Pittsburgh...

That's pretty much how I will remember him in a Steelers uniform.

smokin3000gt
02-04-2016, 01:59 AM
too bad Steelers Professor is now banned, he would be more than happy to tell you all about it...:gossip:

Ban hammered already? lol... must be some sort of record..