PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' keys to beat Broncos

StillCurtains
12-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Hello again guys!

Of course this is another huge game against Denver. There are more than a few keys to come out with a win against the Broncos. The most important will be the offensive line vs the Denver pass rush. They have to keep Ben upright not only to win, but for his health.

I hate to sound like captain obvious but Ben is a huge key. I feel that he will need to play his best game of the season. It doesn't have to be statisticaly, but he will have to be more accurate and efficient than he has been all year. He will need to get rid of the ball more quickly in this game due to their rush. This will be the game to throw the ball away if absolutely nothing is there.

They also argueably have the best secondary in football. Ben can still take his deep shots to loosen them up, but he will have to be much more patient in this one. Watching Denver's game vs Oakland, there was alot of mugging going on by their corners that wasn't called. Ben will have to be aware of this. With Talib, Harris, Robie, and Ward our receivers will win some and lose some.

I expect Denver to put high detail on our receivers as Seattle did, so I feel that the X- factors in the passing game will be Wheaton and Miller. It will come down to if Wheaton can win his matchup with Robie. I also see Miller being key in exploiting the middle as I expect Ward to give the corners safety help.

D.Williams will also be key. We will have to make Denver respect the run as we don't want Ben throwing it 50 times or more putting him more at risk for sacks or injury. On defense we will need our pass rush to show up and rattle Osweiler. We have to make him get rid of it before he wants to cause errant passes.

I know that Denver has not scored much, but in this game the very well can. They have a nice array of weapons with Thomas, Sanders, and Davis. The secondary will have to make changes for this one. There is no way at no time should they have Blake lined up on the outside vs Thomas or Sanders. Thomas is too big and strong for Blake, and Sanders will absolutely abuse him with his route running all day.

Cockrell should be matched up against Thomas. Cockrell has the height and speed to matchup with Thomas. Even though Thomas is too strong for him, Sanders isn't a good matchup for Cockrell because of Sanders' precise route running. Cockrell is still rather raw and Sanders will take advantage of that.

I would then rotate Gay and Boykin from the outside to the slot on Sanders to give him different looks. Sanders knows this defense and he knows Gay and his tendencies as well. I know Gay knows Sanders and his tendancies as well, but I still would rotate Gay and Boykin on Sanders to change things up on him.

Here's hoping we get the win!

Psycho Ward 86
12-15-2015, 09:46 PM
the only person i trust to actually come down with a deep throw or jump ball against a 2ndary this good is Antonio Brown. Martavis has all the physical talent in the world but he hasnt figured out how to fully use it yet. Still lacking high point skills and physicality upon contact. Ben, if theres one game not to throw into double coverage downfield, its against a 2ndary with 3 pro bowl caliber cornerbacks and a pro bowl safety. nothing wrong with taking the 1st down this time around

lotas
12-16-2015, 08:27 AM
the only person i trust to actually come down with a deep throw or jump ball against a 2ndary this good is Antonio Brown. Martavis has all the physical talent in the world but he hasnt figured out how to fully use it yet. Still lacking high point skills and physicality upon contact. Ben, if theres one game not to throw into double coverage downfield, its against a 2ndary with 3 pro bowl caliber cornerbacks and a pro bowl safety. nothing wrong with taking the 1st down this time around
I would argue Wheaton is capable of pulling down a deep ball with contact, too. I have been very impressed with Wheaton's physicality this year, especially over the middle. He's pulled in some catches that look uncatchable at times, and of course AB is the master of this. Martavis Bryant has to get stronger so he can use his body to fight the defender while making the catch. He has too many drops that hit him in the hands, get bobbled, and ultimately knocked away as he goes to the ground.

Can you guys imagine where this offense would be right now with Le'Veon Bell? I absolutely love D-will as a person and player, and he has stepped in admirably. But imagine our passing attack with one of the best RB's in the league keeping the defense honest, and with the ability to empty the backfield and have Bell line up wide? Who in the hell do you cover?

I would say, "Damn injuries!" but I don't think Bell was just randomly injured. I would feel that way if anyone BUT Burfict made the tackle, but with the nature of that dude, and all the dirty shit we saw last game, it's obvious Burfict was trying to hurt him, not simply get him out down. You don't run to midfield and celebrate after a routine tackle. You go celebrate the fact that you just took out arguably the most competitive edge the opponent has against you.

86WARD
12-16-2015, 08:39 AM
I frankly don't think the offense would be that much better with Bell opposed to Williams. What makes you think it would be so much better? When Williams has been in there, the offense hasn't missed a beat and at times, I feel like it has looked better than the times Bell has been in there...at least this year.

polamalubeast
12-16-2015, 08:49 AM
The Steelers should win if they score 24-27 points in this game.

The Broncos offense is not very good this year even If they look good on paper.

Rotorhead
12-16-2015, 04:39 PM
I think our Def vs their Off will be the key to this game. If we can get pressure on Brock and stop the run we should be able to hold the Broncos to 1-2 scores. Our offense should be able to put up enough pts to beat that.

lotas
12-17-2015, 07:27 AM
I frankly don't think the offense would be that much better with Bell opposed to Williams. What makes you think it would be so much better? When Williams has been in there, the offense hasn't missed a beat and at times, I feel like it has looked better than the times Bell has been in there...at least this year.
That's only because when Bell was in there we had Vick and Landry Jones at the helm, so of course you are remembering the offense as being less-than-spectacular.

Ben and Bell have not played more than a few quarters together this year, correct?

You're crazy if you think this offense wouldn't be even that much better with Bell in the backfield.

Re: Denver -- As long as we don't turn the ball over on offense and their defense scores 0 points on us, we will be successful. Just like Tomlin said, we need to minimize negativity before we talk about what we can do positively. There's no way their offense can win in a shootout with us, but their defense has the potential to put points on the board, just like ours did last week.

tube517
12-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Pretty simple: Don't turn the ball over. And get some turnovers from the donkeys.

fansince'76
12-17-2015, 09:33 AM
That's only because when Bell was in there we had Vick and Landry Jones at the helm, so of course you are remembering the offense as being less-than-spectacular.

Ben and Bell have not played more than a few quarters together this year, correct?

Pretty much. We lucked out big time with Williams, but we'd still be better off if Bell was healthy.

teegre
12-17-2015, 09:41 AM
Pretty simple: Don't turn the ball over. And get some turnovers from the donkeys.

Yep.

If the Steelers score TDs: easy win

If the Steelers settle for FGs: it'll be close

If the Steelers turn the ball over: loss

SUMMATION:
Unless Pittsburgh gives Denver short fields (via turnovers) the Broncos offense will max out at about 20.

lipps83
12-17-2015, 12:16 PM

At least I am not the only one that has noticed it. I think the play calling is certainly different based on who is back there due to Bell's ability as a receiver. I like the offense more with Williams. I think Bell is the best back in the league sans Adrian Peterson, but I like how this offense runs without Bell more.

I think with Bell back there, they try to maybe force it his way too much. I really don't know what it is.

Bryant is the one that makes this offense go either way. In two seasons, with him, they average more than 30 ppg, without lower 20's ppg.

Rotorhead
12-17-2015, 12:59 PM
While I like Williams, and think he was the best FA pickup of the season, this offense would be better with Bell in. DW and Bell are similar in their abilities, but I think Bell has better physical tools at this point. Bell is better catching out of the backfield, both block well enough, both run with similar styles (DW may be more power to Bell's finesse, but both are equally effective), both have great vision. As elusive as DW has shown to be, Bell is more so. Our offense is great with either of them, but better with Bell.

Psycho Ward 86
12-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Heath needs to have a big day. The broncos are the only team we're going to face all regular season that can feel somewhat decent about single covering our receivers a higher percentage of the time

86WARD
12-18-2015, 11:30 PM

You're crazy if you think this offense wouldn't be even that much better with Bell in the backfield.

Re: Denver -- As long as we don't turn the ball over on offense and their defense scores 0 points on us, we will be successful. Just like Tomlin said, we need to minimize negativity before we talk about what we can do positively. There's no way their offense can win in a shootout with us, but their defense has the potential to put points on the board, just like ours did last week.

Bell is by far better than Williams overall. No doubt. I love the guy. However, this season, I think the offense has been as good if not better with Williams. Maybe I'll look up some numbers as a comparison when I have time, but by eyesight, it's been pretty close.