PDA

View Full Version : 8 random thoughts 14 weeks into the season.

zulater
12-15-2015, 02:17 PM
1)If the Steelers brain trust could change one thing this season I wonder if it might not be having not used DeAngelo Williams as the goal line back week one against the Patriots? You can see he has a nose for the goal line. A perfect example was one of his td runs against the Bengals this week. If he runs to the hole the play was called for he loses a yard. Instead he uses his vision and elusiveness and takes a quick stutter step, sees where a hole is, and goes in untouched.

2) If you're one of the many Steeler fans who love to point out every time they sign someone to an extension and it doesn't work out. You probably found yourself on the side of saying it was complete lunacy to sign Marcus Gilbert to the contract extension they gave him before the start of the 14 season. We were wrong. Gilbert has developed into one of the best right tackles in the league. Well worth the money they gave him. The Mike Mitchell signing wasn't too bad either as it turns out.

3) Mike Tomlin might not be the best game day coach in the game, but by and large the players love him and while his words might ring hollow to you, the more I see the more I understand his players like him, trust him, respect him, and listen to him. Though far from flawed he's one of the games better coaches. Were the Steelers fool enough to fire him ( which has 0 chance of happening) every single team with an opening would be ringing his agents phone off the hook within 5 minutes. I would even wager a couple teams who planned on keeping their coach might make inquiries and change course if they thought they had a real chance to reel Tomlin in.

4) Alejandro Villenueva might be the best long shot story with the Steelers since Rocky Bleir. Seriously, the guy played at Army. Strike one. The military academy's rarely attract pro level talent. And if you were to wager one would produce a pro you would guess a Midshipman from Annapolis or a Falcon from the Air Force Academy would be more likely. Then of course you got the change of position thing, serving with honor and being an actual hero who rescued fellow Rangers while avoiding live fire!

5) The most improved player on the team by the standard of how they were playing early in the season to how they're playing now is Cody Wallace. Early in the season he was barely serviceable. By mid season he had progressed to decent for the most part. Of late he's playing very good. Not great, but very good. Very much as asset. Though still an occasional ass as in when he piles on someone after the whistle and draws a flag. :doh: :lol:

6) DeAngelo Williams should be in the discussion for Comeback player of the year. Best free agent signing by the Steelers since James Farrior? I liked the signing when they inked him. But I never thought he would have the impact that he's had. Even if you had told me he would get extensive playing time due to Bell being injured I would have never have guessed he could still perform at the level he has. And even better still he's proved to be solid catching the ball out of the backfield and an even better blocker.

7) Chris Boswell will be runaway Steelers rookie of the year. What a find! Can't see Suisham being brought back next year, except as possible trade bait? Boz is averaging 10 points a game. Projected over a complete season that would break the Steelers all time single season points record!

8) The Steelers second best rookie in my opinion is Jesse James.Bud Dupree has been underwhelming when you factor in the playing time he's received. Though I do think he'll be a good player next year.

polamalubeast
12-15-2015, 02:25 PM
6) DeAngelo Williams should be in the discussion for Comeback player of the year. Best free agent signing by the Steelers since James Farrior? I liked the signing when they inked him. But I never thought he would have the impact that he's had. Even if you had told me he would get extensive playing time due to Bell being injured I would have never have guessed he could still perform at the level he has. And even better still he's proved to be solid catching the ball out of the backfield and an even better blocker.

Agree on this but I think than Eric Berry or Carson Palmer will win this awards....

polamalubeast
12-15-2015, 02:33 PM
2) If you're one of the many Steeler fans who love to point out every time they sign someone to an extension and it doesn't work out. You probably found yourself on the side of saying it was complete lunacy to sign Marcus Gilbert to the contract extension they gave him before the start of the 14 season. We were wrong. Gilbert has developed into one of the best right tackles in the league. Well worth the money they gave him. The Mike Mitchell signing wasn't too bad either as it turns out.

The sacks that Gilbert has given against the bengals was his first of the year!

Psycho Ward 86
12-15-2015, 03:05 PM
could not be happier to eat my words on Deangelo Williams. I was thinking long term and wanted Roy Helu or Shane Vereen. also thought he was done for with 3 separate injuries the year prior, and a couple more prior to that if i recall correctly. What a find

HollywoodSteel
12-15-2015, 03:05 PM
I agree with most of your thoughts, but for fun:

1) I'm not actually sure what the rules are for this one. Do you mean actually go back and change with the knowledge of what they have now? Then they could probably turn any of their close defeats into victories with a change of a single play. Or they could keep Bell from getting injured. Or they could google "WARNING: This Scobee character is not really a kicker. He makes a great cup of coffee though. Hire him to do stuff like that" and act accordingly. But if that's not exactly what you mean, then, while I can't argue that Williams has a great nose for the goal line, it's not like Bell doesn't. I mean, there are so many things I would have done differently toward the end of that Ravens game even WITHOUT HINDSIGHT... I just had sight. Really, that was enough.

2)Nothing to argue with here. Although many of us observed that he didn't know how to play well with Troy and were expecting him to perform better this year (to some degree).

3)Agreed. But just to be clear, and maybe I speak for at least a few others here (probably including you, Zu), there's a big difference between criticism and wanting him fired. Personally, I couldn't figure out what exactly his skill set was, outside his poise and all the non Xs and Os stuff. I think I was frustrated that I couldn't picture him outcoaching anyone, based on like, you know, all that film watching and impressive chalkboard stuff that Bill Walsh used to do. Come to think of it, if your team ever had a head coach named Bill, chances are he outcoached someone. As far as winning and losing goes (just talking about coaching here), that all depends on his coordinators. But please, do not misunderstand, I am grateful to have that. It will take a hell of a lot for me to ever want Tomlin fired. The STABILITY of keeping him for years and years can NOT BE OVER STATED ENOUGH. I also like him. I root for him. Il'l take the down years that will come from lack of player and coordinator talent, and do tny and all adjusting there. I'll bitch and moan about his strategic and in game coaching mistakes (believe me, I'll bitch and moan) but I'll take it. And I'm not saying that I'd keep just any coach that we happened to hire forever. Tomlin really has shown me what he does well as a HEAD coach, which really is an incredibly multifaceted job. Would I want Belichick or Walsh's football brain (those are my top guys named "Bill," but there have been other good ones) to go along with Tomlin's personality and presence? Yup. But if , for some reason, anyone in the steelers' front office read my comments and could be influenced by them, I would immediately stop any and all bitching and moaning. About Tomlin, I mean. I'd still bitch and moan about other things. I'd focus mainly on how come these guys never invite to me to the owner's box if they value me so much?

3)

ALLD
12-15-2015, 03:31 PM
I would take Bill Walsh over Tomlin. Better Xs & Os and less platitudes, however it looks like Tomlin may have been saving his best for the end of the season. They say it doesn't matter where you start, but it's where you finish. That is true unless you dig yourself too deep of a hole, not to mention the team has only been average the last few years.

What we need in the next draft is a a #1 CB, another huge TE and line help on both sides.

Rotorhead
12-15-2015, 03:37 PM
I agree with most of what you said, especially #1, I was screaming at the TV about why they weren't letting DW get those carries, so frustrating. As for #5, I think it has more to do with the front 3 working together for an extended time. CW is serviceable, but I think it may have more to do with the 2 guards working with him (especially DeCastro) and picking up the slack for his deficiencies.

HollywoodSteel
12-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Where was I? Oh, yeah. The list.

4) No argument (or rant) from me on this one. Although, Spence is a nice story.

5)This one might not have occurred to me, but yeah, he's been something of a Godsend. In fact, since we got Pouncey we've been really lucky when it comes to back up centers. This year, I'll totally take all the backups who have come in on the O-line. Next big man up, I guess. Jarvis Jones has also improved plenty (but really, up was the only direction he could go). But that's more of an "okay, cool. The kid is improving like a first rounder is supposed to" than a shocking one like Wallace.

6) Again agree. Love (and so pleasantly surprised) at what an important signing it was. Next running man up, I guess. Is he the best FA signing since Farrior? I can't say yet. If we win the Super Bowl then I'm with you. But Clark turned out to be a damn good signing as well (for many years). When we lost Hope (Hope the safety. Not "lost hope" hope) I was worried because he was the perfect compliment to Troy (way more valuable to us than he could be to another team). Clark came in and my worries soon went away.

7) Yes. Next kicking man up, I guess (even if you're not really the next man up like, up the depth chart.) The more I think about the more I can't believe how fortunate you've been with these replacements. Even replacements of replacements of replacements. I'm talking about LT of course (even if the big V did come back in during the game. Then line gave Ben time on most of the plays regardless of who was in).

8) I think BD has been pretty good as a rookie LB in our system, but I think I understand what you're saying. He's what he's supposed to be, at this point. JJ has really been impressive given the expectations.

Rotorhead
12-15-2015, 04:26 PM
I would take Bill Walsh over Tomlin. Better Xs & Os and less platitudes, however it looks like Tomlin may have been saving his best for the end of the season. They say it doesn't matter where you start, but it's where you finish. That is true unless you dig yourself too deep of a hole, not to mention the team has only been average the last few years.

What we need in the next draft is a a #1 CB, another huge TE and line help on both sides.

If we can land a #1 CB to start from the beginning of the season, we instantly become a superbowl contender (barring injuries that of course) Hell we are this year even after all the injuries and subpar CB play. Cockrell can be serviceable on #2's with Gay in the slot (or Gay on #2's and Boykin in the slot) with the third man out coming in in the nickel and our Db's are good enough. We have this offense for 2 more years, if I am not mistaking, before we start losing players to the cap. I would think we would be a top 5 favorite for the next 2 years if we can lock down a quality CB.

tube517
12-15-2015, 04:33 PM

I'd take a Bill Walsh type draft, circa 1981, at this point. 3 quality DBs in the first 3 rounds

teegre
12-15-2015, 05:47 PM
I'd take a Bill Walsh type draft, circa 1981, at this point. 3 quality DBs in the first 3 rounds

I'd take the 1974 Steelers draft.

Hall of fame ILB... move Shazier to SS.

Hall of Fame OC... move Pouncey to LG.

Two Hall of Fame WRs to pair with AB and Bryant... no one could cover that 4-wide set.

The the secondary would still be porous, but the offense would score on every single drive to the tune of 70 ppg. :lol:

zulater
12-15-2015, 06:06 PM
I agree with most of your thoughts, but for fun:

1) I'm not actually sure what the rules are for this one. Do you mean actually go back and change with the knowledge of what they have now? Then they could probably turn any of their close defeats into victories with a change of a single play. Or they could keep Bell from getting injured. Or they could google "WARNING: This Scobee character is not really a kicker. He makes a great cup of coffee though. Hire him to do stuff like that" and act accordingly. But if that's not exactly what you mean, then, while I can't argue that Williams has a great nose for the goal line, it's not like Bell doesn't. I mean, there are so many things I would have done differently toward the end of that Ravens game even WITHOUT HINDSIGHT... I just had sight. Really, that was enough.

2)Nothing to argue with here. Although many of us observed that he didn't know how to play well with Troy and were expecting him to perform better this year (to some degree).

3)Agreed. But just to be clear, and maybe I speak for at least a few others here (probably including you, Zu), there's a big difference between criticism and wanting him fired. Personally, I couldn't figure out what exactly his skill set was, outside his poise and all the non Xs and Os stuff. I think I was frustrated that I couldn't picture him outcoaching anyone, based on like, you know, all that film watching and impressive chalkboard stuff that Bill Walsh used to do. Come to think of it, if your team ever had a head coach named Bill, chances are he outcoached someone. As far as winning and losing goes (just talking about coaching here), that all depends on his coordinators. But please, do not misunderstand, I am grateful to have that. It will take a hell of a lot for me to ever want Tomlin fired. The STABILITY of keeping him for years and years can NOT BE OVER STATED ENOUGH. I also like him. I root for him. Il'l take the down years that will come from lack of player and coordinator talent, and do tny and all adjusting there. I'll bitch and moan about his strategic and in game coaching mistakes (believe me, I'll bitch and moan) but I'll take it. And I'm not saying that I'd keep just any coach that we happened to hire forever. Tomlin really has shown me what he does well as a HEAD coach, which really is an incredibly multifaceted job. Would I want Belichick or Walsh's football brain (those are my top guys named "Bill," but there have been other good ones) to go along with Tomlin's personality and presence? Yup. But if , for some reason, anyone in the steelers' front office read my comments and could be influenced by them, I would immediately stop any and all bitching and moaning. About Tomlin, I mean. I'd still bitch and moan about other things. I'd focus mainly on how come these guys never invite to me to the owner's box if they value me so much?

3)

Great input HS! :applaudit: And there are no rules for #1 or any other points. You're free to interpret as you like.

But the way I look at it is this. You can't change injuries. And given the situation of the time I don't think if you're the Steelers you can second guess yourself too much on the Vick signing or Scobee trade. Neither seemed like a bad idea at the time, and given the preseason Jones had how could you just award him the backup qb job?

But going back to the season opener. Given the fact that DeAngelo had scored 46 rushing td's going into the season, had scored as many as 18 rushing td's in a single season it's hard to fathom why they thought Will Johnson would be a better goal line option than Williams? I'm thinking they wish they had that one to do over again.

86WARD
12-15-2015, 06:08 PM
DeAngelo Williams should also be in the conversation for team MVP. Deep into that conversation.

teegre
12-15-2015, 06:08 PM
Here's the one thing I would change about this season: block Mark Barron.

polamalubeast
12-22-2015, 09:49 AM
DeAngelo Williams should also be in the conversation for team MVP. Deep into that conversation.