PDA

View Full Version : League Reviewing Low Hit By Burfict On Roethlisberger

polamalubeast
12-15-2015, 01:44 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/report-league-reviewing-low-hit-by-burfict-on-roethlisberger/

Buckinnuts
12-15-2015, 02:06 PM
glad they are looking at it..but what about the one play were he was on the pile and rolled over to a slight hand stand and kicked both of his feet off of one of our o line guys head..i cant find it to show

fansince'76
12-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Big deal. They're reviewing it. So what?

I can already hear the rationale for not fining Burfict's cheap shot: "well, Roethlisberger wasn't injured or anything." :coffee:

HollywoodSteel
12-15-2015, 02:17 PM
I can't copy and paste the quote from Tomlin at this juncture. I did my due diligence in dealing with the mouse clicking and other things such as that. Obviously when things of that nature occur, such as it is, I generally turn the page and move forward.

Shoes
12-15-2015, 02:20 PM
I can't copy and paste the quote from Tomlin at this juncture. I did my due diligence in dealing with the mouse clicking and other things such as that. Obviously when things of that nature occur, such as it is, I generally turn the page and move forward.

“Not my job at this juncture, I’m looking ahead to Denver,” said Tomlin. “I imagine that the league office is doing their due diligence in terms of dealing with things such as that. I generally turn the page and move forward.”

fansince'76
12-15-2015, 02:23 PM
And on a side note, if the league actually gave a rat's ass about things getting out of hand in that game, they would have tossed that assclown out in the first quarter, seeing as how he was the one who initiated and instigated most of it. :coffee:

tube517
12-15-2015, 02:26 PM
glad they are looking at it..but what about the one play were he was on the pile and rolled over to a slight hand stand and kicked both of his feet off of one of our o line guys head..i cant find it to show

Yeah, that jackhole kicked DeCastro. It's posted in another thread. Ref was running toward that scrum and did absolutely nothing.

Shoes
12-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Yeah, that jackhole kicked DeCastro. It's posted in another thread. Ref was running toward that scrum and did absolutely nothing.

Hell, the one with Ben the ref was looking right at him and didn't throw a flag!

Moose
12-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Nothing will come of it.... as we all know the officials and league heads aren't concerned about Steeler player's health. Good thing Harrison didn't do anything though.

Count Steeler
12-15-2015, 03:26 PM
If the incidents are still making headlines on ESPN, there is still a chance he will get fined. If not, move along, nothing to see here.

I just can not understand how this league reviews every play for fine worthy activities and misses so many of them. Yeah, refs can vary game to game because that is real time action and some times you just miss it. However, there is just no excuse for missing plays when you are watching them for that very purpose.

AND they review every play to evaluate the refs.

Not impressed.

steelreserve
12-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Big deal. They're reviewing it. So what?

I can already hear the rationale for not fining Burfict's cheap shot: "well, Roethlisberger wasn't injured or anything." :coffee:

I still don't think the one in the Rams game was a cheap shot. The guy got tripped and fell on his face, and then slid a good 8 or 10 feet on the ground into Ben's leg. That was just unlucky.

Burfict ... that guy was obviously trying to take cheap shots from the opening whistle, and really should have been thrown out of the game.

ALLD
12-15-2015, 03:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ag4nkSh7Q

polamalubeast
12-15-2015, 04:03 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--twKZRv2n--/vp3wtujvwhuaxrq3ki4k.gif

steel striker
12-15-2015, 04:24 PM
Nothing will come of this that's for sure! Now if these was Precious Brady OMG Burfict will be suspended for life!!!

tube517
12-15-2015, 04:30 PM
He got $25k for the Cam Newton and also Greg Olsen incidents.

Supposedly, he will be "summoned to the league office" for the next infraction. Sure. :jerkit:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/10/15/6982041/nfl-fined-bengals-vontaze-burfict-twisting-ankles-panthers-cam-newton-greg-olsen

Rotorhead
12-15-2015, 04:31 PM
I did find it amusing when JH showed up during the pregame scrum that pussy left the scene in a hurry, nobody wants a piece of JH. Maybe, if we play them again in the playoffs, we get JH a carry designed to run straight at him and just punish him, or a lead block. Just send JH in there to destroy that asshole!

SteelerFanInStl
12-15-2015, 04:33 PM
And on a side note, if the league actually gave a rat's ass about things getting out of hand in that game, they would have tossed that assclown out in the first quarter, seeing as how he was the one who initiated and instigated most of it. :coffee:

Yep and while they're "reviewing" the play, why don't they also review the incompetence of the officiating in that game. All of those guys should be fined at the very least.

steelreserve
12-15-2015, 04:34 PM
The officials last week must've gotten drunk before the game and high at halftime.

Steelman
12-15-2015, 04:41 PM
I did find it amusing when JH showed up during the pregame scrum that pussy left the scene in a hurry, nobody wants a piece of JH. Maybe, if we play them again in the playoffs, we get JH a carry designed to run straight at him and just punish him, or a lead block. Just send JH in there to destroy that asshole!

...that would instantly become my favorite highlight of all time. :rockon:

BigNastyDefense
12-15-2015, 05:57 PM
He's a fake tough guy. He wants to be feared like Harrison but everyone knows he's a punk so he resorts to cheap shots like this to come off as "tough."

He should be suspended for his antics in that game on Sunday.

86WARD
12-15-2015, 06:00 PM
I call bullshit. Nothing will happen. Please move onto the next NFL farce.

teegre
12-15-2015, 06:00 PM

In regular season game, in 2002, Warren Sapp ran through the Steelers warm ups. Jason Gildon grabbed his throat... yadda-yadda-yadda.

During the game, Sapp took a cheap shot at Tommy Maddox.... and then, preened around like a ballet dancer.

On the very next play, Faneca and Hartings each hooked Sapp under his armpit, holding him still. Simmons pulled around and ran/dove right at Sapp's knees. Sapp went "dead weight" and fell to the ground seconds before his knees got destroyed.

Sapp jumped up, ran over to Maddox, and extended his hand. Maddox batted it away, and Sapp pleaded Maddox to shake his hand. Maddox looked at Hartings, who nodded, and shook Sapp's hand.

The Steelers need to run the "Sapp pull" on Burfict.

SCSTILLER
12-15-2015, 07:21 PM
Was checking my yahoo email and noticed a headline where Ben said he thought the low hit Burfict had on him was on purpose, not Burfict getting pushed into him. Didn't read it, but I was saying all game that Burfict is a dirty DH who need Hines Ward to come out of retirement and line him up.

salamander
12-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Nothing will happen to him. :ranger:

slippy
12-15-2015, 08:03 PM
someone needs to end his career asap. i have never rooted for an injury to any player, until now. he's worthless. POS.

Craic
12-15-2015, 09:02 PM
So, from the OP, I went to the article and watched the play a number times in slow motion. A few things stood out to me. Yes, Burfict did get pushed by his own man, however . . .

When he launches, his head is down and he leaves his feet AS he's going after the QB. By definition, that's a 15 yard penalty for hitting an unprotected player, and has repeatedly drawn fines in the NFL. Regardless of WHERE he was aiming, it is an illegal and fine-able play.
He had already launched at Ben before getting pushed. At the point he launched, his head was completely down, and he was only thigh high and still over a foot and a half away, with a downward bend to his back. IMO, he looks like he's aiming not only for the back of the legs, but just above the knees (which is still considered the knees in the NFL).
He did slip coming around the corner, but he had more than enough control over his body to either avoid, or to aim for Ben around the waist (before he was pushed).
There was over a yard and a half between Burfict and Ben when Ben released the ball. We have seen repeatedly that the NFL considers that enough time to pull up before hitting a QB. Even if Ben was not hit by Burfict at all in the legs, it still should have been called for the hit too long after throwing the pass.

The above highlights not one, but three separate actions, each of which is a penalty in the NFL.

Conclusion: Denying a Burfict-to-knee course and hit is perfectly horse . . . manure.

Count Steeler
12-15-2015, 09:45 PM
So, from the OP, I went to the article and watched the play a number times in slow motion. A few things stood out to me. Yes, Burfict did get pushed by his own man, however . . .

When he launches, his head is down and he leaves his feet AS he's going after the QB. By definition, that's a 15 yard penalty for hitting an unprotected player, and has repeatedly drawn fines in the NFL. Regardless of WHERE he was aiming, it is an illegal and fine-able play.
He had already launched at Ben before getting pushed. At the point he launched, his head was completely down, and he was only thigh high and still over a foot and a half away, with a downward bend to his back. IMO, he looks like he's aiming not only for the back of the legs, but just above the knees (which is still considered the knees in the NFL).
He did slip coming around the corner, but he had more than enough control over his body to either avoid, or to aim for Ben around the waist (before he was pushed).
There was over a yard and a half between Burfict and Ben when Ben released the ball. We have seen repeatedly that the NFL considers that enough time to pull up before hitting a QB. Even if Ben was not hit by Burfict at all in the legs, it still should have been called for the hit too long after throwing the pass.

The above highlights not one, but three separate actions, each of which is a penalty in the NFL.

Conclusion: Denying a Burfict-to-knee course and hit is perfectly horse . . . manure.

#4 happened with JJ Watt and Brady, Sunday night. Watt was even closer, hit Brady in the torso and he got 15 yards. If Watt gets fined and Burfict doesn't for this hit, then the NFL is dead to me. Only my fandom for the Steelers keeps me into football at all. But even there, there is only so much bull shit I can take.

HollywoodSteel
12-16-2015, 12:35 AM
someone needs to end his career asap. i have never rooted for an injury to any player, until now. he's worthless. POS.

I've only wished an injury on one other player. L. Blount. I wouldn't exactly cry for Burfict, but as horrible as it is, players have tried to injure other players before, and at least you're charged up and doing something horrible for YOU'RE team. What Blount did is unforgivable. He should be banned for the sport from life. As far as I'm concerned if you quit on your team and walk out during a game, then keep walking. They're hiring at the Post Office.

But that's just the totally provable part if his crime. What makes me even sicker, and makes Blount a sniveling Coward rather than someone who lost his cool or something, is that he had a job waiting for him in NE. His best friend, who happened to be a NE RB, and just so happened to be injured, well, when Blount was asked if his buddy may have mentioned that coach Belichick would love to have him back, and would give him plenty of carries in that depleted backfield, Blount grinned. He didn't even deny it. And it wasn't even a story! Pete Rose is banned forever from his beloved sport while a scumbag like Blount's crime against the very CONCEPT of team sports goes under the radar...

Will I wished for it, and now that Blount is actually injured and his season is over I do feel kind of bad, but only that he'll ever get to step on a football field again. The same playing fields as men who cherish the game they play! Guys who bleed black and gold, or orange and black, or whatever colors they represent that day. We criticize guys like Burfict, and rightly so - he deserves every shred of hate he's getting - but Now that I'm thinking about him in comparison to Blount, I do remember Burfict getting his bell rung over and over, but every time they'd try to drag him to the locker room, he couldn't stand the thought of not being out there and fighting for his teammates. I'm not defending the way he went about that. It was almost unforgivable. Almost.

I totally concede that I could be way off base and I'd never argue with someone who thinks trying to hurt someone on the field is the worse offense. But I remember the game where Bell was killing the clock on a drive to close out a game and screaming at the TV that they're going to get him hurt. Why aren't they spelling him here and there with Blount? I didn't know at the time that Blount wasn't in the building.

Sorry for the slightly off subject emotional rant. I don't know why people have to even ask the question about a fine for Burfict. The only question the NFL should be pondering is how many games they should suspend him.

fansince'76
12-16-2015, 01:23 AM
I've only wished an injury on one other player. L. Blount. I wouldn't exactly cry for Burfict, but as horrible as it is, players have tried to injure other players before, and at least you're charged up and doing something horrible for YOU'RE team. What Blount did is unforgivable. He should be banned for the sport from life. As far as I'm concerned if you quit on your team and walk out during a game, then keep walking. They're hiring at the Post Office.

But that's just the totally provable part if his crime. What makes me even sicker, and makes Blount a sniveling Coward rather than someone who lost his cool or something, is that he had a job waiting for him in NE. His best friend, who happened to be a NE RB, and just so happened to be injured, well, when Blount was asked if his buddy may have mentioned that coach Belichick would love to have him back, and would give him plenty of carries in that depleted backfield, Blount grinned. He didn't even deny it. And it wasn't even a story! Pete Rose is banned forever from his beloved sport while a scumbag like Blount's crime against the very CONCEPT of team sports goes under the radar...

Will I wished for it, and now that Blount is actually injured and his season is over I do feel kind of bad, but only that he'll ever get to step on a football field again.

What's really ironic is all the bitching the Patriots and their idiot fans did about the Jets tampering with Revis when anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together knows damn well the Patriots tampered with Sucker Punch. And of course it wasn't a story - everyone else is apparently expected to unquestioningly accept the shady bullshit that organization pulls on a pretty routine basis with a nod and a wink.
"It's just gamesmanship and Belichick does it better than anybody else in the business 'cause he's so smart!" :jerkit:

And I couldn't agree with you more. Only unfortunate thing is that the karma train arrived a year late for Sucker Punch by his landing on IR for the remainder of this season instead of last. It'll also be a damn shame when Belichick ultimately finds a cheaper and more effective alternative to Sucker Punch and very unceremoniously cuts his ass. And there isn't another team out there that will have him at this point due to his very richly deserved and toxic reputation. Carpetbagging POS.

Butch
12-16-2015, 02:40 AM

Will I wished for it, and now that Blount is actually injured and his season is over I do feel kind of bad, but only that he'll ever get to step on a football field again. The same playing fields as men who cherish the game they play! Guys who bleed black and gold, or orange and black, or whatever colors they represent that day. We criticize guys like Burfict, and rightly so - he deserves every shred of hate he's getting - but Now that I'm thinking about him in comparison to Blount, I do remember Burfict getting his bell rung over and over, but every time they'd try to drag him to the locker room, he couldn't stand the thought of not being out there and fighting for his teammates. I'm not defending the way he went about that. It was almost unforgivable. Almost.

I totally concede that I could be way off base and I'd never argue with someone who thinks trying to hurt someone on the field is the worse offense. But I remember the game where Bell was killing the clock on a drive to close out a game and screaming at the TV that they're going to get him hurt. Why aren't they spelling him here and there with Blount? I didn't know at the time that Blount wasn't in the building.

Sorry for the slightly off subject emotional rant. I don't know why people have to even ask the question about a fine for Burfict. The only question the NFL should be pondering is how many games they should suspend him.

What that idiot in Cincy did was just as bad if not worse than what sucker punch did. He was trying to hurt players and earlier in the year when he took down Bell he was trying to not only end his career. He got up from the hit and celebrated for crying out loud. I did not know then how many cheap shots this idiot had taken throughout the year, but if the NFL doesn't do something about it he will end up ending a much better players career and then they will hear about it from the press.

I aint holding my breath that he gets fined it most likely wont happen and even if it does it is to little to late, he shouldn't be fined he should be suspended.

tube517
12-16-2015, 01:48 PM

Such a crock of horseshit.

steel striker
12-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Once again no respect for Ben! Protect every QB not named Ben Roethlisberger!!!

86WARD
12-16-2015, 02:12 PM
A defender may be able to hit Ben with a metal pipe and get away with it. It's really unbelievable. So much for protecting the QB.

Shoes
12-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Unbelievable!! As much as I dislike the cheats and Brady, I'm almost glad Goodell got stuffed on deflate gate.

JKLTO
12-16-2015, 03:24 PM
I wrote this on my FB yesterday, hoping to be proven wrong. But, as it turns out, I was CORRECT:

"Vontaze Burfict is a low-born, thug, piece of shit who really should have been ejected from last Sunday's game. But, since he was only trying to intentionally hurt Ben Roethlisberger, and not, say, Tom Brady, I'm sure that - with Goodell's blessing - Burfict will escape without a fine."

fansince'76
12-16-2015, 03:28 PM
...I'm almost glad Goodell got stuffed on deflate gate.

Part of me thinks he planned it that way, just to make it look like he was trying to get tough with his "daddy" (Kraft). :coffee:

hawaiiansteeler
12-16-2015, 03:30 PM
https://theofficesportsguy.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/fire-roger-goodell-meme.jpg?w=700

smokin3000gt
12-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Well thank God they were able to fine AB for his TD celebration and Boswell for his tackle. We can't have that kind of stuff going on.

Craic
12-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Part of me thinks he planned it that way, just to make it look like he was trying to get tough with his "daddy" (Kraft). :coffee:

Possible, except he's refiled the suit and it'll go forward in 2016 on appeal. At this point, he has nothing to gain.

Remember Hanlon's Razor. "Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity."

Moose
12-16-2015, 04:10 PM
This is the shit that is making me watch more and more college football. College football has good sticking/tackling, play calling etc., and alot less penalties/flags for good plays. And more consistent. The ret's in the NFL are just taking too much away from the game and the calls are just getting too asinine and aren't consistent from game to game.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Add in the fact that Gay was fined for his celebration and this is just f'ing idiocy. It's exactly what I expected though. I'm sure that Green wasn't fined for his kick of the football into the stands though.

I'm so close to being completely done with the NFL.

steelerdude15
12-16-2015, 06:22 PM
The NFL's inconsistency in determining fines and punishments is horrendous to say the least. I don't understand how they have video evidence of the hit, yet don't do anything about it when this player has been fined in the past.

ETL
12-16-2015, 06:51 PM
This is ridiculous.

The leagues inaction makes me want to take action on my own. I'm just sayin. I'm not gonna do anything but I think if I'm thinking it - other pissed off fans are thinking it too

Butch
12-16-2015, 07:11 PM
The NFL's inconsistency in determining fines and punishments is horrendous to say the least. I don't understand how they have video evidence of the hit, yet don't do anything about it when this player has been fined in the past.

This isn't about inconsistency it is completely consistent with everything the league has done to us for a very loooong time now. It is politics; the Steelers voted against the CBA, and they now have to pay a price. As was said by Fansince'76 this is where the organization needs to hand go to hell his ass and stand up for the team, if they don't they are get no respect from me. I have no problem with our team being fined but it needs to go both ways and I would love for these guys to get a good lawyer and go after go to hell and this Bull Shit league and the way the dish out fines selectively.

HollywoodSteel
12-19-2015, 09:14 PM
What that idiot in Cincy did was just as bad if not worse than what sucker punch did. He was trying to hurt players and earlier in the year when he took down Bell he was trying to not only end his career. He got up from the hit and celebrated for crying out loud. I did not know then how many cheap shots this idiot had taken throughout the year, but if the NFL doesn't do something about it he will end up ending a much better players career and then they will hear about it from the press.

I aint holding my breath that he gets fined it most likely wont happen and even if it does it is to little to late, he shouldn't be fined he should be suspended.

Yeah, if we're disagreeing at all it is the smallest disagreement in the history of SU. Look at it this way, we are 100% in sync when it comes to Burfict; that a suspension is warranted and everything. So if there were a scale of Bad, you and I would assign Burfect the same number on that scale. They only slight disagreement we might have is where to put Blount on that scale. You'd give him the same, or slightly lower number (on this scale the higher number is worse, or MORE BAD) than Burfict. And keep in mind, any disagreement here isn't an "I'm right, you're wrong thing." Your reasoning is just as valid (if not more reasonable) than mine. I think what is probably affecting my judgement is how common vs. rare offenses they are. I'm sure Dick Butkis did many horribly dirty things on the field that we'd both think warranted suspension by our standards today. But do I think he should have been Pete-Rosed from football? No, I don't think so, dirty play and all. But what Blount did is spit on the game itself. Maybe it's mostly an emotional take, but that's the essence of it. The calculated nature of trying to get cut (which he NEVER would have done in this manner, knowing that he'd be a pariah to every team and probably black balled by every team. In fact, he was counting on that since most teams would get a shot at him on the waiver wire before the Pats.) plus the slimy nature of working around a rule, safely knowing it won't be worth investigating because the media doesn't care enough about you to press the story. Plus the fact that he DID IT DURING a game, which ironically he would definitely gotten caries in to close it out with Bell... Probably didn't even cross his mind that his selfishness would put Bell at greater risk for injury. I don't know... All that just tears at my guts just a tiny bit more than a disgustingly dirty player who at least THiNKS he's helping his team in some way...

Maybe I could be talked off this position. I'm usually pretty ego free and have no interest in sticking to my guns at the expense of being persuaded by compelling reasoning that hadn't occurred to me. But so far I have not been persuaded.

HollywoodSteel
12-19-2015, 09:31 PM
And now that Burfict has been fined for his offense (even though I think his 3 infractions in one game, combined with his history EASILY warranted a suspension) there's a new reason to get steamed about Blount more is the blatant lack of justice in his case compared to Burfict. At least now Burfict is on everyone's radar (meaning the media, which is almost the only factor that influences the NFL not to ignore injustice) and will be put under the microscope like Harrison was. Only in Burfict's case it is a justifiable microscope.

86WARD
12-19-2015, 09:50 PM
This is ridiculous.

The leagues inaction makes me want to take action on my own. I'm just sayin. I'm not gonna do anything but I think if I'm thinking it - other pissed off fans are thinking it too

I feel the frustration. It's to a point where you want to show up on the NFL Office's front steps and sit down with them and really say "What the fuck don't you get? The game is fucked up!!" It's like they aren't seeing the same thing that the fans are seeing. They are too worried about Nike doing some dopey "color rush" promotion than worrying about the actual game at hand. Fuck the game...as long as the money is coming in.

HollywoodSteel
12-19-2015, 11:38 PM
I feel the frustration. It's to a point where you want to show up on the NFL Office's front steps and sit down with them and really say "What the fuck don't you get? The game is fucked up!!" It's like they aren't seeing the same thing that the fans are seeing. They are too worried about Nike doing some dopey "color rush" promotion than worrying about the actual game at hand. Fuck the game...as long as the money is coming in.

Are you talking about Burfict not getting suspended? Because he was fined about 70,000 total for 3 offenses. All that BS from his agent, saying he wouldn't be fined, was exactly that:total BS. He got the fines that we all wanted. Other a Bengals got fined as well, including Green for punting the ball after he scored. I wanted Burfict suspended, but I'm not exactly gonna say the league was pathetic here since they did fine most, if not all, the stuff we were calling for.

Or are you guys talking about how bad the officiating was on the field?

- - - Updated - - -

And to be even clearer, one of those fines Butfict got was for the dive at Ben's legs. It wasn't flagged on the field, but the NFL is obviously acknowledging that it should have been.

Steelman
12-19-2015, 11:46 PM
And to be even clearer, one of those fines Butfict got was for the dive at Ben's legs. It wasn't flagged on the field, but the NFL is obviously acknowledging that it should have been.

I don't believe that, I believe the league is only acknowledging it due to the media outrage, which would be par for the course for this league.

Craic
12-19-2015, 11:49 PM
I don't believe that, I believe the league is only acknowledging it due to the media outrage, which would be par for the course for this league.

How's that? All league fines come out at the same time. Just because we didn't hear about it until a day or two later doesn't mean anything.

Craic
12-19-2015, 11:54 PM

Or, they are . . . At least, they're seeing that the fans ARE seeing, more than ever. http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

Ratings keep going up. So the game ain't broke. It's entertainment first, a sport second.

86WARD
12-20-2015, 07:11 AM
Are you talking about Burfict not getting suspended? Because he was fined about 70,000 total for 3 offenses. All that BS from his agent, saying he wouldn't be fined, was exactly that:total BS. He got the fines that we all wanted. Other a Bengals got fined as well, including Green for punting the ball after he scored. I wanted Burfict suspended, but I'm not exactly gonna say the league was pathetic here since they did fine most, if not all, the stuff we were calling for.

Or are you guys talking about how bad the officiating was on the field?

- - - Updated - - -

That would be part of it, but a little part of it. It's more the inconsistencies and the terrible calls and missed calls on a weekly basis. The fines for silly celebration penalties, untucked shirts, eye black for some players and others haven't seen anything close to a fine...

In one word to describe the frustrations...inconsistencies.