PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: Hypnagogia

teegre
12-15-2015, 01:00 PM
Here is my latest editorial from The Point of Pittsburgh. At least... I think that I wrote it. :lol:

Hypnagogia
by Tiger Rowan

Pardon me if this article meanders, for I am extremely sleep deprived. So much so, that I can no longer tell if I am awake or if I am dreaming.

This mental fog started many months ago when my son was born. As any parent of a colicky baby will tell you: you simply never sleep. Ever. Adding to my zombie-like state, a few weeks ago my four-year old daughter started having nightmares. Finally, on Saturday night, my neighbor was out of town and his teenage son had a party; cutting to the chase, three nouns best describe the events that transpired after midnight: spotlights, police dogs, and pellet guns. So, yes, by the time that the Bengals kicked off, I was not sure what was real and what was sleep-deprived hallucinations.

Take for example, I could have sworn that I saw Vontaze Burfict launch himself directly at Ben Roethlisberger’s ankle...

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/hypnagogia-the-mental-fog-from-steelers-v-bengals/

Feel free to pass this along to anyone who you think may enjoy reading it.

teegre
12-15-2015, 02:29 PM
One addendum:

If the Steelers and Cheifs win out (and Denver falters) they would both be division winners, but the Chiefs would be the #2 seed (and the Steelers the #3 seed).

Go Raiders!!!

MrPgh
12-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Hmm... I bet you were that guy in art class that always painted with a broad brush.

Count Steeler
12-15-2015, 03:14 PM
One addendum:

If the Steelers and Cheifs win out (and Denver falters) they would both be division winners, but the Chiefs would be the #2 seed (and the Steelers the #3 seed).

Go Raiders!!!

Of course the Bengals have to lose 2 more AFC games. And as always, an enjoyable read.

teegre
12-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Hmm... I bet you were that guy in art class that always painted with a broad brush.

Im not sure that I follow. Please, clarify.

teegre
12-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Of course the Bengals have to lose 2 more AFC games.

Yep.

1. Steelers need to win out.
2. Bengals need to lose out.
3. Chiefs need to lose to the Raiders.
4. Broncos need to lose to the Chargers.

I think that the 1 & 3 are likely.
2 is possible.
I'm not holding my breath for 4.

QUESTION:
Don't the Bengals have to lose all THREE games??? I am really asking... because, every time I've run that scenario (beating the Niners), the Bengals still win the division.

Count Steeler
12-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Yep.

1. Steelers need to win out.
2. Bengals need to lose out.
3. Chiefs need to lose to the Raiders.
4. Broncos need to lose to the Chargers.

I think that the 1 & 3 are likely.
2 is possible.
I'm not holding my breath for 4.

QUESTION:
Don't the Bengals have to lose all THREE games??? I am really asking... because, every time I've run that scenario (beating the Niners), the Bengals still win the division.

From the Bengals persective:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/upshot/2015-nfl-playoff-simulator.html?team=cin#pit-den-15=win&sf-cin-15=loss&bal-pit-16=loss&den-cin-16=win&cin-bal-17=loss&cle-pit-17=loss&event=wildcard (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/upshot/2015-nfl-playoff-simulator.html?team=cin#pit-den-15=win&sf-cin-15=loss&bal-pit-16=loss&den-cin-16=win&cin-bal-17=loss&cle-pit-17=loss&event=wildcard)

From the Steelers perspective:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/upshot/2015-nfl-playoff-simulator.html?team=pit#pit-den-15=win&sf-cin-15=loss&bal-pit-16=loss&den-cin-16=win&cin-bal-17=loss&cle-pit-17=loss&event=champion

Same scenario, just from each team's perspective. If the Bengals lose their 2 AFC games and beat the 49ers and the Steelers win out, the Steelers get the Division.

polamalubeast
12-15-2015, 06:55 PM
It is very unlikely that the Bengals lose against the ravens even without Dalton.I am not making any false hope.If that happens, I'll be happy, but the Bengals are too good to lose against the Ravens without Flacco, Forsett, Steve Smith, etc.

But the chiefs can win the AFC west if the the Broncos lose two games and if it happens and one of his two lost are against the steelers, the Steelers will be in 5 seed and the Broncos could miss the playoffs.

Starting the playoffs against the Texans/Colts or against the Bengals with a Dalton rusty is not a bad thing even if this is on the road and personally I want to beat the Bengals in their house in the playoffs.

Count Steeler
12-15-2015, 06:56 PM
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISIONIf, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.
Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Common games is ahead of conference record, so the Steelers have the upper hand, for the Division. Of course, lot of things need to fall our way, but, with everything that has gone wrong, it is time for some positives.

teegre
12-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Let's just assume that the Bengals are going to beat the Ravens.

Does that mean that we should root for the Bengals to beat the Broncos?... that way, it (possibly) knocks the Broncos out of the playoffs?

Ugh.
This is giving me a headache.

Count Steeler
12-15-2015, 07:02 PM
Let's just assume that the Bengals are going to beat the Ravens.

Does that mean that we should root for the Bengals to beat the Broncos?... that way, it (possibly) knocks the Broncos out of the playoffs?

Ugh.
This is giving me a headache.

Let's get 3 wins and let the other chips fall where they may. How delicious would it be to have Pouncey back just in time for the playoffs? Should make for some fun TV.

zulater
12-15-2015, 07:11 PM
Good stuff as always Tiger!

Now if you allow me the liberty I too found myself in a sleep walking state the morning following the game. In my daze I thought myself to be watching Mike and Mike on ESPN 2 looking forward to the discussion on the previous day's games. Thinking that at some point they would address the Bengals deplorable behavior, Burflic in particular. But instead Greeney went on and on about tweets sent out a month ago (and largely ignored since then) by Vince Williams wherein Greeney and a Bengal offensive lineman seemed to believe that Vince was threatening the lives of every living being in the state of Ohio with imminent and bloody death!

Thankfully Golic poo pah'ed the tweets, so at least it wasn't a total nightmare. But never once was the cheap shot on Ben brought up, or the mitigating circumstances concerning why Vince Williams and several other Steelers were pissed off at Burflic to start with.:huh:

polamalubeast
12-15-2015, 07:15 PM
The things could be complicated if he has some upset in the next three weeks. I think the jets have the tiebreaker over the Broncos and Chiefs have the tiebreaker over the Broncos too.The Steelers will also have the tiebreaker on Denver by winning against them next Sunday.

But if there has no upset in the coming weeks(steelers win the last 3,KC win the last 3,CIN beat BAL,Den beat CIN and SD), it will be very Simple.

It will be...

1.NE
2.DEN
3.CIN
4.AFC SOUTH winner
5.KC
6.PIT

teegre
12-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Let's get 3 wins and let the other chips fall where they may. How delicious would it be to have Pouncey back just in time for the playoffs? Should make for some fun TV.

That sounds like the best plan. Winning all 3 gets is in. Period. Seeding is a luxury.

I'm so stoked on that. He'll turn this offense from great to championship-level.

teegre
12-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Good stuff as always Tiger!

Now if you allow me the liberty I too found myself in a sleep walking state the morning following the game. In my daze I thought myself to be watching Mike and Mike on ESPN 2 looking forward to the discussion on the previous day's games. Thinking that at some point they would address the Bengals deplorable behavior, Burflic in particular. But instead Greeney went on and on about tweets sent out a month ago (and largely ignored since then) by Vince Williams wherein Greeney and a Bengal offensive lineman seemed to believe that Vince was threatening the lives of every living being in the state of Ohio with imminent and bloody death!

Thankfully Golic poo pah'ed the tweets, so at least it wasn't a total nightmare. But never once was the cheap shot on Ben brought up, or the mitigating circumstances concerning why Vince Williams and several other Steelers were pissed off at Burflic to start with.:huh:

Ugh.
That's the kind of stuff that bugs me. Bell gets injured, and Burfict jumps up dancing for joy... and no one seems to notice this.

It's akin to the refs catching the guy who retaliates.

I'm surprised that they didn't show the video of Burfict kicking DeCastro in the head... and then saying that Burfict was reacting to the comments that DD had made earlier in the week.

Of all the guys to defend/praise. :doh: It's mind-numbing.

MrPgh
12-15-2015, 10:31 PM
Im not sure that I follow. Please, clarify.

It's all low-hanging fruit. Obviously we appreciate the efforts of you and other capable men posting these articles without any issues above the neck. The standard is the standard.

hawaiiansteeler
12-15-2015, 11:39 PM
It's all low-hanging fruit. Obviously we appreciate the efforts of you and other capable men posting these articles without any issues above the neck. The standard is the standard.

obviously, if you will...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3044507/standardisstandard_medium.jpg

Count Steeler
12-16-2015, 05:16 AM

Is that a hippo fart?

Do YOU have something worthwhile to contribute?

MrPgh
12-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Is that a hippo fart?

Do YOU have something worthwhile to contribute?

Splash plays and things of that nature.

teegre
12-16-2015, 09:53 AM
The things could be complicated if he has some upset in the next three weeks. I think the jets have the tiebreaker over the Broncos and Chiefs have the tiebreaker over the Broncos too.The Steelers will also have the tiebreaker on Denver by winning against them next Sunday.

But if there has no upset in the coming weeks(steelers win the last 3,KC win the last 3,CIN beat BAL,Den beat CIN and SD), it will be very Simple.

It will be...

1.NE
2.DEN
3.CIN
4.AFC SOUTH winner
5.KC
6.PIT

Spot on.
After all of the if's, and's, and but's are discussed, this is the most likely end-result.

Steelers @ Bengals will be epic. #bloodbath

Being the #6 seed means round 2 woukd be: playing @ the Taperiots, which is never easy... and, honestly, Steekers @ Taperiots is the match-up that the NFL wants in the AFCCG. Ergo, I think that the NFL is praying for the Chiefs as the #6 seed... and the Steelers as the #5 seed. Will that happen? Who knows. We have three weeks to find out.

Count Steeler
12-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Splash plays and things of that nature.

It is a nice day for a sTROLL.

MrPgh
12-16-2015, 11:12 AM
It is a nice day for a sTROLL.

It is what it is.

Count Steeler
12-16-2015, 03:11 PM
It is what it is.

And you are what you are.

MrPgh
12-16-2015, 07:05 PM
And you are what you are.

We'll see what the tape says.

zulater
12-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Why do you guys allow this?

I'm all for heated debate. Even if tempers flare and some exchanges get a little nasty, as long as there's some actual discussion going on it's all good. Most of the times the posters arguing know and respect one another, and don't carry the animosity to any other thread on the board. In fact they often are able to joke or be in strong agreement on a different thread with that poster.

But that's not what I'm seeing here. I'm seeing a thread get ruined. I don't see anything that makes a lick of sense on multiple posts and I just wonder why it isn't put to a stop?

And please don't lock the thread down. That's not fair to the OP.

Thanks for listening.

Count Steeler
12-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Spot on.
After all of the if's, and's, and but's are discussed, this is the most likely end-result.

Steelers @ Bengals will be epic. #bloodbath

Being the #6 seed means round 2 woukd be: playing @ the Taperiots, which is never easy... and, honestly, Steekers @ Taperiots is the match-up that the NFL wants in the AFCCG. Ergo, I think that the NFL is praying for the Chiefs as the #6 seed... and the Steelers as the #5 seed. Will that happen? Who knows. We have three weeks to find out.

The Steelers should petition the NFL for a new electronics staff, maybe from an NFC team, to hook up the headsets this time around in Foxboro. I just don't understand how this league can still take themselves seriously.

teegre
12-17-2015, 12:36 AM
The Steelers should petition the NFL for a new electronics staff, maybe from an NFC team, to hook up the headsets this time around in Foxboro. I just don't understand how this league can still take themselves seriously.

Indeed.

During that game, the look that Al Michael's had on his face when the headsets didn't work... was priceless. It was like: "You have got to be kidding me!!!"

86WARD
12-17-2015, 04:24 AM
A local beat writer or a national guy has to compile a case with all the fines the Steelers have received and put it versus the fines the other teams have not received for the exact same thing. The lack of penalties and fines on hits to Ben and this has to be taken to a media outlet and made a "Big Deal." Otherwise it gets, as Zu said, poo p'ahed. It's gotten to be a horrible and frankly embarrassing joke if you ask me. Goodell needs to sit down and be shown video and asked the questions and be told to answer them. It will never happen but that's what would need to be done.

I was never for supporting the "conspiracy theories", but it's hard not too at this stage.

Count Steeler
12-17-2015, 05:36 AM
At the very least, the Bennet hit, the Burfict hit and even the Barron hit should have had a flag thrown. Then the refs could have had a conference and discussed the different angles they had and they decide together whether a penalty has been committed.

To not have a flag on 2 of those plays is mind numbing. To not have a fine on any of those plays is simply indefensible.

ESPECIALLY after seeing JJ Watt get a roughing the passer on Brady this past Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCIXnHV5kKQ

MAYBE flag worthy (not if you compare it to the myriad of calls that Ben does not get), but if Watt gets fined for that?????!!!!!

teegre
12-17-2015, 06:51 AM
A local beat writer or a national guy has to compile a case with all the fines the Steelers have received and put it versus the fines the other teams have not received for the exact same thing. The lack of penalties and fines on hits to Ben and this has to be taken to a media outlet and made a "Big Deal." Otherwise it gets, as Zu said, poo p'ahed. It's gotten to be a horrible and frankly embarrassing joke if you ask me. Goodell needs to sit down and be shown video and asked the questions and be told to answer them. It will never happen but that's what would need to be done.

I was never for supporting the "conspiracy theories", but it's hard not too at this stage.

Great idea!!!

In this game alone...

Gay celebrates for 5 minutes: fine
Green punts football: no fine
Green launches ball into the crowd: no fine

AB throws a punch: fine
Burfict kicks DeCastro in the head: no fine
Burfict tries to break BB's knee: no fine

I just don't get it.

teegre
12-17-2015, 06:57 AM
At the very least, the Bennet hit, the Burfict hit and even the Barron hit should have had a flag thrown. Then the refs could have had a conference and discussed the different angles they had and they decide together whether a penalty has been committed.

To not have a flag on 2 of those plays is mind numbing. To not have a fine on any of those plays is simply indefensible.

ESPECIALLY after seeing JJ Watt get a roughing the passer on Brady this past Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCIXnHV5kKQ

MAYBE flag worthy (not if you compare it to the myriad of calls that Ben does not get), but if Watt gets fined for that?????!!!!!

Exactly.

All that we're asking for is consistency from Goodell.

Count Steeler
12-17-2015, 12:21 PM
Great idea!!!

In this game alone...

Gay celebrates for 5 minutes: fine
Green punts football: no fine
Green launches ball into the crowd: no fine

AB throws a punch: fine
Burfict kicks DeCastro in the head: no fine
Burfict tries to break BB's knee: no fine

I just don't get it.

I thought throwing a ball into the crowd was an automatic fine?

I think the crumble is going to start very soon. This much inconsistency is going to turn off a lot of people.

teegre
12-17-2015, 02:33 PM

Yep, it is.
When a ball is thrown into the crowd, the fans fight over the ball. It creates an unsafe environment. Hence, it is a finable offense.

NOTE: You can hand a ball to a fan, because it doesn't create chaos.

Likewise...

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/16832/decastro-fined-8k-for-facemask-inside-bengals-scrum

Holy shit!!! Seriously, am I actually dreaming!?!

DeCastro gets kicked in the head: no fine
DeCastro pushes a guy's facemask: fine

Fine them BOTH, or fine NEITHER of them. I want consistency!!!

Count Steeler
12-17-2015, 06:03 PM
This is bloody insanity.

ALLD
12-17-2015, 06:06 PM
It's like the Steelers must adhere to one standard and the Patriots to another.

86WARD
12-17-2015, 06:07 PM

I think the crumble is going to start very soon. This much inconsistency is going to turn off a lot of people.

Kicking a ball is a penalty. Throwing a ball is a penalty and a 5787 fine. Green threw a ball in the stands in October and was fined for it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/16/a-j-green-fined-for-throwing-ball-in-stands/

teegre
12-18-2015, 06:54 AM
Whew!!! I'm awake after all.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000603904/article/vontaze-burfict-facing-fine-for-ben-roethlisberger-hit