PDA

View Full Version : This is probably a dumb question...but...

JKLTO
12-14-2015, 08:57 PM
What exactly is Ben (usually) shouting out before they snap the football? I swear I keep hearing him bark something like, "Blue 180!" or something like that. I'm sure he (or other players) are yelling out other things as well, but I hear that one the most. Does anyone here know what it is that's being said? And what does it mean exactly? (I assume it has something to do with communicating a type of play, or to indicate an audible, or something along those lines?) :noidea:

Thanks!

Shoes
12-14-2015, 09:33 PM
I think your correct, it is "Blue 180!", but doubt it has anything to do with the play because he seems to bark it out on every play, pass or run. :chuckle:

salamander
12-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Each team and QB have their own terminology for pre-snap. They're calling out plays without actually calling out plays.

ThorndikeFFA
12-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Audibles.

Blue is probably the signal that we're going with the play as called in the huddle/originally.

180 is an even number, which usually corresponds to a side of the ball. Could be left or right. Could change from quarter to quarter or half to half.

So, Blue 180 is Ben saying, "we're running the play called in the huddle to the left/right."

We ran similar audibles with our high school team (yes, I know the NFL is much more complicated). But the QB would come to the line, check the defensive alignment, and audible to the best play available. If we called a running play in the huddle the audible would move the hole in or out, side to side. On pass plays the audible would switch who was going deep and who was running a 'dig'/crossing route. Basic stuff, really.

Rotorhead
12-14-2015, 10:30 PM
No, it is the same thing as Peyton saying Omaha, it is signalling the line that he is ready to have the ball snapped

Craic
12-14-2015, 11:52 PM
I thought he was playing TwisterBingo. :noidea: