PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison wants to play one more year !!

katmandu
12-08-2015, 09:58 PM
http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-linebacker-James-Harrison-wants-to-play-one-more-year--41851458

James Harrison (http://247sports.com/Player/James-Harrison-82888) doesn't want the 2015 season to be his last.Fresh off of his first three sack game in over four years, Harrison has said that he wants to return for the 2016 season, according to Ed Bouchette (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/08/On-the-Steelers-Healthy-offense-unleashes-full-arsenal/stories/201512080031%3Cbr%20/%3E) of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. In his 13th season and 12th season with the Steelers, Harrison's contract runs through the 2016 season.
A bonafide Steelers icon in his own right, Harrison passed a renowned member of the original Steel Curtain defense, L.C. Greenwood, on the Steelers' all-time sack list on Sunday. With 74.5 sacks, Harrison now trails only Jason Gildon on the team's all-time sack list, as Gildon tallied 77 sacks during his 10 years with the Steelers.
After entering Sunday's game with 2.0 sacks on the season, Harrison tallied three sacks in one quarter, and is now tied with Cameron Heyward (http://247sports.com/Player/Cameron-Heyward-10633) for the team lead. Late in the game, Harrison victimized Colts rookie Denzelle Good, who was making his second career start in a game that he'd surely like to forget.
“Geez, I hope he buys dinner for that tackle,” Heyward said Good. “It was ridiculous. He just became the sack leader in one quarter.”
What's also ridiculous is Harrison's peerless durability and stamina at the age of 37. While no one would argue that he's as good as he was in 2008, when he was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year, Harrison has proven that he is still be a force to be reckoned with on the football field. He's also been a positive influence for rookie Bud Dupree and third year linebacker Jarvis Jones (http://247sports.com/Player/Jarvis-Jones-5057), who, along with Arthur Moats (http://247sports.com/Player/Arthur-Moats-76490), are apart of a rotation at outside linebacker that's run by outside linebackers coach-and Harrison's former teammate-Joey Porter (http://247sports.com/Coach/Joey-Porter-3376).
"We never are surprised when he has games like that because he’s been dong that his whole career,” Moats said of Harrison's performance in Pittsburgh's 45-10 win over the Colts. “And we know how he works, so for him to go out and have a game like that, he continues to show he still has it.”
While Harrison proved that he still "has it," his teammates also showed that they have it as well after receiving a slew of criticism following its Week 12 loss at Seattle. Pittsburgh's bend but not break defense unit redeemed itself on Sunday, but this time, there wasn't even a bend, as the Steelers' defense held the Colts to just 240 yards while allowing just 11 first downs while netting five sacks and three turnovers.
With their old leader, Harrison, still leading the way, the Steelers' younger leaders, consisting of Heyward, Lawrence Timmons (http://247sports.com/Player/Lawrence-Timmons-25956) and Moats, will look to keep Pittsburgh's defense moving in a positive direction heading into the fourth quarter of the NFL's regular season.

86WARD
12-08-2015, 10:35 PM
I'd be good with it. Hopefully in a depth player role...

katmandu
12-08-2015, 10:50 PM
I'd be good with it. Hopefully in a depth player role...I'm glad he'll be around one more year as a mentor! Show these young kids HOW to do it the Steeler (Harrison) way!

I hope after he does hang up his cleats that the Steelers hire him as the team's Strength Coach.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2015, 11:55 PM
Hope he comes back as an intern once he retires

stillers4me
12-09-2015, 06:37 AM
And who doesn't want James to be immortal! I swear to God, that man has found the fountain of youth and has it stashed in his house somewhere. Maybe it's all about attitude.......because God knows, James has the attitude!

ALLD
12-09-2015, 07:21 AM
He wants to go out like The Bus.

lipps83
12-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Nothing but respect for this man. Would love to see him make the Hall, but unfortunately I think he started to take off late in his career.

Maybe some day he will get in.

It's all Bill Cowhers fault. After he even protected Cowher from that lunatic Browns fan, the thanks Harrison got for that was to keep sitting on the bench.

teegre
12-09-2015, 10:07 AM
He wants to go out like The Bus.

Indeed.

But, Harrison will do Bettis one better: Harrison will retire after back-to-back championships. :wink02:

Rotorhead
12-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I would like to seem him back for one more season, hopefully he will be the backup as someone will step up their game next season. Barring any injuries and a solid CB, I think next year is our year to push for the next ring, and would like nothing better than for JH to get one more.

86WARD
12-09-2015, 01:05 PM
I'd like him to start grooming "Solid's" replacement.

Shoes
12-09-2015, 02:05 PM
I'd like him to start grooming "Solid's" replacement.

Not to worry brother, you know the 1st & maybe 2nd round in the draft will be a LB. :chuckle:

teegre
12-09-2015, 02:25 PM
would like nothing better than for JH to get one more.

"Back-to-back for the Silverback"

You'all can make T-shirts; just send me the royalties.

Mojouw
12-09-2015, 02:27 PM
Could you imagine having to be the dude that told Harrison it was time to retire?

tube517
12-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Could you imagine having to be the dude that told Harrison it was time to retire?

I don't think Al Villanueva and Dan McCullers both could handle that duty. :chuckle:

teegre
12-09-2015, 03:27 PM

I've told the Bill Cowher "office" story a hundred times.

Here's a different one...

A fight breaks out on the playing field. Players have their arms locked, there's lots of pushing, and even more emoting. Then... James Harrison saunters towards the skirmish. Saunters is the perfect word, because Harrison acted like he was looking at a painting in a museum: he slowly approached the crowd and gave them a slow, careful perusing.

And, everyone just stops... even Steelers players.

In other words, it was clear that no one wanted to rile Harrison up.

86WARD
12-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Not to worry brother, you know the 1st & maybe 2nd round in the draft will be a LB. :chuckle:

That's what I'm afraid of...lol.

hawaiiansteeler
12-09-2015, 03:58 PM

yeah, you can always pick defensive backs later on in the draft...:stirthepot:

vader29
12-09-2015, 04:23 PM
yeah, you can always pick defensive backs later on in the draft...:stirthepot:
Or as the Steelers coaching staff would say, "There is nothing wrong with the defensive backs we have here now." :doh:

Drazo85
12-09-2015, 04:35 PM
What James wants, James gets!

hawaiiansteeler
12-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Or as the Steelers coaching staff would say, "There is nothing wrong with the defensive backs we have here now." :doh:

yeah, because being ranked 29th in passing defense is a good thing. we obviously just need some more linebackers...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/position/defense

86WARD
12-09-2015, 05:13 PM
"They're doing okay."

katmandu
12-09-2015, 09:47 PM
I swear to God, that man has found the fountain of youth and has it stashed in his house somewhere. Maybe it's all about attitude.......because God knows, James has the attitude!It is all about his attitude..... to be the baddest MOF'ing LB on planet earth!

That an his absolutely INSANE workout routines he does! Do any of you know of anyone that comes even close to James workout routine ? THAT alone is extending his NFL career BIG TIME !

I'm serious as hell when I say that I hope he becomes the Steeler's Strength Coach after he retires.

He needs to be all over Jarvis's ass like a Drill Sgt !

Craic
12-09-2015, 09:51 PM
yeah, because being ranked 29th in passing defense is a good thing. we obviously just need some more linebackers...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/position/defense

Yeah, but let's put that in a little more context. Sure, they're 29th in yards passed against. But, they're 23rd, and 1 off being tied for 18th in passing TDs against (which is almost average). The context of that comes in rushing, when you see the Steelers have allowed only 4 rushing TDs, tied for second and is tied for 6th best (1/10th yard from 4th best) in yards rushed against average. Further context comes when you look at other stats, such as . . . Steelers D tied for fourth for most INTs. Tied for 15th and 1 off 11th place for passes defended. Beyond that, they're just 1/10th of a yard under average for yards gained per pass completion.

Pair that with them being 10th highest in passes attempted against, and well, it starts to make sense. You can't score on the Steelers on the ground. You can't run against the Steelers, and, the Steelers are very stingy in giving up first downs by penalty (2nd best in the league, 1 off 1st place). So, what do you do? You pass, pass, pass.

Am I ecstatic about our pass defense? No. But they're far, far better than overall 29th in the league, all things considered. And, personally, I could care less about passing yardage. I'm more concerned about how many points they've allowed all together. For that, the Steelers are in 7th place. Not to shabby for a defense we thought would absolutely suck at the beginning of the year.

Mojouw
12-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but let's put that in a little more context. Sure, they're 29th in yards passed against. But, they're 23rd, and 1 off being tied for 18th in passing TDs against (which is almost average). The context of that comes in rushing, when you see the Steelers have allowed only 4 rushing TDs, tied for second and is tied for 6th best (1/10th yard from 4th best) in yards rushed against average. Further context comes when you look at other stats, such as . . . Steelers D tied for fourth for most INTs. Tied for 15th and 1 off 11th place for passes defended. Beyond that, they're just 1/10th of a yard under average for yards gained per pass completion.

Pair that with them being 10th highest in passes attempted against, and well, it starts to make sense. You can't score on the Steelers on the ground. You can't run against the Steelers, and, the Steelers are very stingy in giving up first downs by penalty (2nd best in the league, 1 off 1st place). So, what do you do? You pass, pass, pass.

Am I ecstatic about our pass defense? No. But they're far, far better than overall 29th in the league, all things considered. And, personally, I could care less about passing yardage. I'm more concerned about how many points they've allowed all together. For that, the Steelers are in 7th place. Not to shabby for a defense we thought would absolutely suck at the beginning of the year.

Bravo ! Bravo!

Plus teams pass against the Steelers because of the high powered offense they roll out there whenever Ben is healthy.

Steelman
12-11-2015, 12:35 AM
Not to take anything away from James Harrison, because he's one of my favorite players, but I think it's too easy to talk about another year when you've had a three sack game against a terrible o-line.

However if anyone can play linebacker at 38 years old it's James Harrison. His workouts are legendary. Would definitely love him to be added to the staff when he's done. Heck, just pay him to workout in the practice facility five days a week and show 'em all how it's done.

Hawkman
12-11-2015, 10:29 AM
Not to take anything away from James Harrison, because he's one of my favorite players, but I think it's too easy to talk about another year when you've had a three sack game against a terrible o-line.

However if anyone can play linebacker at 38 years old it's James Harrison. His workouts are legendary. Would definitely love him to be added to the staff when he's done. Heck, just pay him to workout in the practice facility five days a week and show 'em all how it's done.

Can you imagine him as the conditioning coach? Of course that might lead to half the team quitting cause they couldn't hack it.

tube517
12-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Can you imagine him as the conditioning coach? Of course that might lead to half the team quitting cause they couldn't hack it.

Deebo would be great but he would probably take them out hunting and make them wash his motorcycle if they aren't too scared to touch it. Who would say no to him?