PDA

View Full Version : Unstoppable

teegre
12-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Here is the post-game editorial from TPOP.

Unstoppable
by Tiger Rowan

Allow me to get the obvious out of the way: Pittsburgh’s offense is scary good. If you cover Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant will beat you. If you cover Martavis Bryant, Markus Wheaton will beat you. If you cover all three receivers, DeAngelo Williams will beat you. If you put a safety into the box to stop DeAngelo Williams, Antonio Brown will have 118 yards receiving and two receiving touchdowns against you. Melding all of the aforementioned together, results in the Colts giving up thirty-nine unanswered points, and losing 45-10.

Colts fans, you should not feel bad, because I do not feel that there is a defense in the league that can stop the Steelers’ offense. The only times that the Steelers have been stymied is when Ben Roethlisberger was either injured or rusty (due to coming back from injury). Now that Big Ben is healthy, every defense in the NFL should be scared.

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/the-unstoppable-steelers-offense-and-the-juggernaut-antonio-brown/

Count Steeler
12-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Celebration antics aside, rare for punt returners to get injured.

Wonder if he had any groin issues after the game. Oh to be young and foolish once again.

Tiger, great read. The offense is nearing our expectations of a TD on every play. Is your Dad enjoying himself yet?

Unfortunately, the beginning of this season has taken it's toll and there is a distinct possibility that this offense will not be on display in the post season. Hoping that we get the breaks the rest of the way.

teegre
12-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Celebration antics aside, rare for punt returners to get injured.

Wonder if he had any groin issues after the game. Oh to be young and foolish once again.

Tiger, great read. The offense is nearing our expectations of a TD on every play. Is your Dad enjoying himself yet?

Unfortunately, the beginning of this season has taken it's toll and there is a distinct possibility that this offense will not be on display in the post season. Hoping that we get the breaks the rest of the way.

Indeed. I tried to Google search the last punt returner to get injured, and gave up when it was popping up readily (which tells me that it's safer than we perceive it to be).

I honestly do not know how ANY male lives past 25. Remember the car surfing scene in Teen Wolf. Yep... I've attempted that (and have the scars to prove it). :lol:

LOL My dad loves to watch AB. He almost prefers that AB catch a short pass and smoke some people (as opposed to the long bombs where AB just outruns everyone). Hines Ward is Pop's #1 ever... but, AB is starting to get damn close.

True. If BB hadn't gotten injured, the Steelers would be vying for the #1 seed. They'd have beaten both Baltimore and Kansas City (Ben-less games) as well as the Cincy game (when BB was rusty). If not for Mark Barron, they'd be sitting at 10-2.

Shoes
12-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Nicely done TR!

teegre
12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
On Mike & Mike (& Chris Carter) they were talking about this offense being in the "Greatest Show on Turf" realm. Carter asked who has two receivers, let alone three, as good as the Steelers. Arizona was the only team that they could think of.

An hour later, Dan Le Betard was saying basically the same things about this offense.

A few hours later, some guy on ESPN radio, was saying that there is only one offense in the NFL that could carry its team the entire way to the SuperBowl: Pittsburgh's. He was going on & on about how BB should be the MVP, but that he won't be, because he missed so much time. His rationale was that without BB this offense was alright, but with him, they are the best that he's seen in a decade.

As in: unstoppable.

polamalubeast
12-08-2015, 06:11 PM
This is possible that Ben has 4,000 yards in only 12 games this year!

Count Steeler
12-08-2015, 06:39 PM
I sure miss the bubble screen.

tube517
12-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Dare I peek into next year and see Sammie Coates making a splash, if you will

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2015, 07:57 PM
Dare I peek into next year and see Sammie Coates making a splash, if you will

And we'll still have Wheaton for one more year. Jesus. God help the other 31 teams if we stay healthy

ALLD
12-08-2015, 08:26 PM
There is always the chance the Mel Blount Rule is not in effect against the Steelers to even out the playing field, especially if the league wants certain teams in the playoffs. I have seen cleaner WBA middleweight fights in Las Vegas.

salamander
12-08-2015, 08:42 PM
If it wasn't for Ben getting cheap shotted earlier in the season, we'd damn well have more than 7 wins.

86WARD
12-08-2015, 10:37 PM
On Mike & Mike (& Chris Carter) they were talking about this offense being in the "Greatest Show on Turf" realm. Carter asked who has two receivers, let alone three, as good as the Steelers. Arizona was the only team that they could think of.

An hour later, Dan Le Betard was saying basically the same things about this offense.

A few hours later, some guy on ESPN radio, was saying that there is only one offense in the NFL that could carry its team the entire way to the SuperBowl: Pittsburgh's. He was going on & on about how BB should be the MVP, but that he won't be, because he missed so much time. His rationale was that without BB this offense was alright, but with him, they are the best that he's seen in a decade.

As in: unstoppable.

Denver has a pretty nice pair of receivers. I think I'd take those two over the Cardinals two.

86WARD
12-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Good read by the way. Thanks for sharing your work.

polamalubeast
12-09-2015, 07:17 AM
The steelers have the best offense in the league when this is Ben as QB.

tube517
12-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Great read, Tiger.

teegre
12-09-2015, 10:05 AM
If it wasn't for Ben getting cheap spotted earlier in the season, we'd damn well have more than 7 wins.

Absolutely.

This offense without Ben is akin to trying to pleasure oneself while wearing a cast: in a pinch, it sort of gets the job done, but damn if it isn't a painful experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Denver has a pretty nice pair of receivers. I think I'd take those two over the Cardinals two.

Good point.

Fitzgerlad, Floyd, and Brown might be better than Thomas, Sanders, and whomever, but those top two are pretty darn good. Speaking of Sanders...

Could you you imagine this offense going four wide with the current three plus Manny Sanders.

Mojouw
12-09-2015, 12:00 PM
If Jordy Nelson was healthy, I could put Nelson-Cobb-Adams and the combo of Montgomery and Janis in this conversation. But he isn't so they are not.

It has been mentioned before, but what I can't get over is the sheer speed of the Steelers WR corps. All these guys can flat out fly. What are opposing defenses supposed to do when AB is the slowest? Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the physical traits of other WR groupings, but leave the game stats aside, is their another top 4 that is just this stupid fast in the league?

AB - 4.56
Bryant - 4.42
Wheaton - 4.45
Coates - 4.43
DHB - 4.25

cold-hard-steel
12-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Absolutely.

This offense without Ben is akin to trying to pleasure oneself while wearing a cast: in a pinch, it sort of gets the job done, but damn if it isn't a painful experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point.

Fitzgerlad, Floyd, and Brown might be better than Thomas, Sanders, and whomever, but those top two are pretty darn good. Speaking of Sanders...

Could you you imagine this offense going four wide with the current three plus Manny Sanders.
Damn man,sounds like you tried that shit. LOL

Craic
12-09-2015, 12:28 PM
I honestly do not know how ANY male lives past 25. Remember the car surfing scene in Teen Wolf. Yep... I've attempted that (and have the scars to prove it). :lol:

Never did that, but did my share of ski-jogging . . . where you run up and grab onto the bumper of an unsuspecting car and let it pull you across the icy roads. Of course, this was back when cars had real bumpers you could hold on to!

86WARD
12-09-2015, 01:04 PM
If Jordy Nelson was healthy, I could put Nelson-Cobb-Adams and the combo of Montgomery and Janis in this conversation. But he isn't so they are not.

It has been mentioned before, but what I can't get over is the sheer speed of the Steelers WR corps. All these guys can flat out fly. What are opposing defenses supposed to do when AB is the slowest? Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the physical traits of other WR groupings, but leave the game stats aside, is their another top 4 that is just this stupid fast in the league?

AB - 4.56
Bryant - 4.42
Wheaton - 4.45
Coates - 4.43
DHB - 4.25

If Nelson were healthy the best two receiving tandems would easily be Green Bay and Pittsburgh. It would make for a nice debate.

Mojouw
12-09-2015, 02:26 PM
If Nelson were healthy the best two receiving tandems would easily be Green Bay and Pittsburgh. It would make for a nice debate.

It definitely would. Just for fun I looked at the 40 times for GB's top 4 or so:

Nelson - 4.51
Cobb - 4.46
Adams - 4.51
Janis - 4.42
Montgomery - 4.51

Not bad, but not as timed fast as the Steelers. I fully realize that 40 times have little or nothing to do with on field success, but just kind of a fun exercise

teegre
12-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Never did that, but did my share of ski-jogging . . . where you run up and grab onto the bumper of an unsuspecting car and let it pull you across the icy roads. Of course, this was back when cars had real bumpers you could hold on to!

So, one night the wife & I were watching The Middle. (Decent show... it's no Modern Family, but it is decent.) Anyway, the teenage son on the show, Axl, is sitting in a swivel chair holding onto a waterski rope and being pulled behind a moving car.

My wife's reaction:
How dumb do you have to be to do something that dangerous???

My response:
Sorry, honey... what were you saying? I was texting Joe to tell him about that great idea that I just saw.

ALLD
12-09-2015, 03:17 PM
AB is fast enough. He runs great routes with great hands and will juke and jive you to miss in the open field.

Craic
12-09-2015, 03:55 PM
So, one night the wife & I were watching The Middle. (Decent show... it's no Modern Family, but it is decent.) Anyway, the teenage son on the show, Axl, is sitting in a swivel chair holding onto a waterski rope and being pulled behind a moving car.

My wife's reaction:
How dumb do you have to be to do something that dangerous???

My response:
Sorry, honey... what were you saying? I was texting Joe to tell him about that great idea that I just saw.
Ain't that the truth.

My problem is, I get that idea with things dealing with explosives. Thank GOD I don't have a place where I can set stuff off . . .

hawaiiansteeler
12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Unstoppable
by Tiger Rowan

have you thought about turning this into a screenplay?

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2010/11/denzel-washington-unstoppable-still.jpg

teegre
12-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Ain't that the truth.

My problem is, I get that idea with things dealing with explosives. Thank GOD I don't have a place where I can set stuff off . . .

Yep.

I was 9 years old. I flew back east to WV and Pittsburgh, to visit family. My uncle & I were blowing up all sorts of crap with "fireworks" (M-80s, M-200s, dynamite... you know: the basics).

Upon my return, my dad opened my suitcase and discovered that I had brought back some souvenirs. "You brought explosives onto an airplane!?!" It was at that age that I first understood what a felony was. :rofl2:

polamalubeast
12-09-2015, 05:24 PM

AB - 4.56
Bryant - 4.42
Wheaton - 4.45
Coates - 4.43
DHB - 4.25

Maybe the fastest team in the NFL since the Greatest show on turf!

86WARD
12-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Absolutely.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point.

I think if they had Sanders, Bryant probably wouldn't be here...maybe he would...

I didn't like seeing Sanders go, but I'm happy how it turned out.

hawaiiansteeler
12-09-2015, 06:16 PM

AB - 4.56
Bryant - 4.42
Wheaton - 4.45
Coates - 4.43
DHB - 4.25

if only we still had Dri Archer! :thumbsup:

Craic
12-09-2015, 06:41 PM

AB - 4.56
Bryant - 4.42
Wheaton - 4.45
Coates - 4.43
DHB - 4.25

See, this is where gamespeed comes into play, because I swear I've seen AB outrun a number of people who have a faster 40 than 4.56

86WARD
12-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Agree. There's been plenty of times AB has put run the defense.

teegre
12-09-2015, 10:11 PM
See, this is where gamespeed comes into play, because I swear I've seen AB outrun a number of people who have a faster 40 than 4.56

Yep.

Jerry Rice had a slow 40 time (4.71) and yet... I never saw him get caught from behind.

Mojouw
12-09-2015, 11:07 PM
Hey, now, I never called the man slow. I just said he had the slowest timed speed of the entire group. Bottom line, the group as a whole presents a ridiculous challenge to opposing DBs. They all travel at warp speed and even the worst catcher in the group, DHB, isn't really as bad as he gets made out. Nevermind on that last point. I just looked at his stats, caught less than 50% of his targets for his career. Still, he's Dwight Stone good!

86WARD
12-10-2015, 05:55 AM
I think DHB has been playing better than anybody thought he would. He's not great but he's been serviceable.

teegre
12-10-2015, 06:40 AM
Hey, now, I never called the man slow. I just said he had the slowest timed speed of the entire group. Bottom line, the group as a whole presents a ridiculous challenge to opposing DBs. They all travel at warp speed and even the worst catcher in the group, DHB, isn't really as bad as he gets made out. Nevermind on that last point. I just looked at his stats, caught less than 50% of his targets for his career. Still, he's Dwight Stone good!

Strawman argument. We all know that you stated that AB will never amount to anything. ( :wink02: )

Really though, that was not directed at you; his 40 time just reminded us that a) straight-line speed can vary depending on the situation (combine vs. game), and b) quickness can't be measured by a stopwatch.

On a similar topic, I read an article (about 20 years ago) about John Stallworth's speed. The article's point was that Stallworth wasn't necessarily fast, but he didn't lose any speed when he made a cut. Most people, when they cut, lose a few mph; whereas, Stallworth would cut and not lose any speed... which would create separation. I think that AB is much like that: when he cuts, it's at his full 4.56, which leaves the CB far behind.

86WARD
12-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Hines Ward may have been the slowest WR in the history of the league and there were times he got the job done...a lot of times...

Based on recent history, Archer would be drafted about 98 times out of 100 over Ward...100 out of 100 if it were he Raiders. Speed is nice, but I'd rather just have a guy who can get open and catch.

tube517
12-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Strawman argument. We all know that you stated that AB will never amount to anything. ( :wink02: )

Really though, that was not directed at you; his 40 time just reminded us that a) straight-line speed can vary depending on the situation (combine vs. game), and b) quickness can't be measured by a stopwatch.

On a similar topic, I read an article (about 20 years ago) about John Stallworth's speed. The article's point was that Stallworth wasn't necessarily fast, but he didn't lose any speed when he made a cut. Most people, when they cut, lose a few mph; whereas, Stallworth would cut and not lose any speed... which would create separation. I think that AB is much like that: when he cuts, it's at his full 4.56, which leaves the CB far behind.

Stallworth had that long stride where it looked like he was coasting but he was game speed fast. Haley says Martayveeous has that long stride and is just freakish fast.

polamalubeast
12-10-2015, 12:43 PM

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger continues to impress, putting up crazy numbers week in and week out, joining the elite QBs in the NFL and extending his own records.

•Roethlisberger has four straight games with 300 yards passing, the longest active streak in the NFL and a new career-long streak of 300 yard games for him.

•In the last four games Roethlisberger has thrown for 1,533 yards, an average of 383.3 yards per game. Over the last four games he passed for 364 (Indianapolis), 456 (Seattle), 379 (Cleveland) and 334 (Oakland).

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/7-on-7-Bens-numbers-are-sick/e5f3028e-375a-4f8a-9139-e0190f15425e

Rotorhead
12-10-2015, 01:04 PM
I think I read somewhere that AB comes out of his cuts FASTER than into them. I understand game speed compared to combine speed. In HS there were 5 of us that had a sub 4.5 40 speed (our class was athletically gifted considering I had 32 ppl in my class total in my small school), mine being the fastest at 4.42, but on the field with full pads, nobody could even closely keep up with me (where the 4 others should have been righ on my heels). I didnt slow down much with pads like the others did. Game speed is much different depending on the person.

cold-hard-steel
12-10-2015, 02:30 PM

I tried to argue with people,but you will never win. Never,understand never?

- - - Updated - - -

Let them just think what they think.You and i know that that dust is gonna settle.

teegre
12-10-2015, 11:37 PM
Hines Ward may have been the slowest WR in the history of the league and there were times he got the job done...a lot of times...

Based on recent history, Archer would be drafted about 98 times out of 100 over Ward...100 out of 100 if it were he Raiders. Speed is nice, but I'd rather just have a guy who can get open and catch.

Yep.
Even Cowher kept trying to replace Ward (Edwards and Burress in back-to-back first rounds).

Steelman
12-11-2015, 01:14 AM
Stallworth had that long stride where it looked like he was coasting but he was game speed fast. Haley says Martayveeous has that long stride and is just freakish fast.

Marty surprises me every time he accelerates past people. I'm just like "Damn, there's no way a guy that big should be that fast." He really does remind me of Randy Moss.

86WARD
12-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Yep.
Even Cowher kept trying to replace Ward (Edwards and Burress in back-to-back first rounds).

I wouldn't say he was trying to replace Ward with Edwards or Burress. They were all drafted in consecutive years. Ward in 98, Edwards in 99 and Burress in 2000. I don't think they knew what they had in Ward for starters and they were pretty much rebuilding a poor WR unit. Yankee Thigpen was leaving via free agency, will Blackwell wasn't what they thought he might be...same with Charles Johnson and Courtney Hawkins was garbage. I think those picks were more of a rebuilding than replacing Hines Ward.

Maybe you could argue that Randle El, Willie Reid or Fred Gibson were hopefuls to replace Ward?

tube517
12-11-2015, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't say he was trying to replace Ward with Edwards or Burress. They were all drafted in consecutive years. Ward in 98, Edwards in 99 and Burress in 2000. I don't think they knew what they had in Ward for starters and they were pretty much rebuilding a poor WR unit. Yankee Thigpen was leaving via free agency, will Blackwell wasn't what they thought he might be...same with Charles Johnson and Courtney Hawkins was garbage. I think those picks were more of a rebuilding than replacing Hines Ward.

Maybe you could argue that Randle El, Willie Reid or Fred Gibson were hopefuls to replace Ward?

Also, Will Blackwell in 97 (before Ward). Back then we (Previous forum) had visions of a Blackwell/Edwards or Edwards/Plexiglas combo and really disregarded Hines, much like the coaches did. Kordell at QB and crap OC's didn't help either.

cold-hard-steel
12-11-2015, 09:30 AM
how bout Dwight stone? All speed but no route.

tube517
12-11-2015, 09:32 AM
how bout Dwight stone? All speed but no hands.

Fixed.

Stone was gone by 1995.

cold-hard-steel
12-11-2015, 09:44 AM
But he had all the speed ya need. But no route.He could do kick-offs though.I will say though speed is your best friend when someone is chasing you.But you gots ta get em behind you for that to work.

teegre
12-11-2015, 10:29 AM

Actually, in 2000, the offensive coordinator was playing Ward a lot, until Cowher told the offensive coordinator explicitly: "Get my #1's on the field." I remember an interview around that same time, where Hines was baffled, because he leading the team in receptions... yet, Edwards was starting ahead of him. Regardless, it all panned out in the end.

Randle El (et al) were an attempt to find a solid #3.

Willie Reid was a direct reaction to missing out on Devin Hester. Cowher wanted Hester bad. The Bears snatched him away, Cowher traded down, and took "the other return specialist" (Reid). Man alive, I wish the Steelers had known that the Bears would take him, and traded up for Hester.

Devin Hester >>>>>>>>> Willie Reid and Anthony Smith

Mojouw
12-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Actually, in 2000, the offensive coordinator was playing Ward a lot, until Cowher told the offensive coordinator explicitly: "Get my #1's on the field." I remember an interview around that same time, where Hines was baffled, because he leading the team in receptions... yet, Edwards was starting ahead of him. Regardless, it all panned out in the end.

Randle El (et al) were an attempt to find a solid #3.

Willie Reid was a direct reaction to missing out on Devin Hester. Cowher wanted Hester bad. The Bears snatched him away, Cowher traded down, and took "the other return specialist" (Reid). Man alive, I wish the Steelers had known that the Bears would take him, and traded up for Hester.

Devin Hester >>>>>>>>> Willie Reid and Anthony Smith

Screw that. They should've just taken Brandon Marshall and called it a day.

teegre
12-12-2015, 01:18 AM
Screw that. They should've just taken Brandon Marshall and called it a day.

True.

I remember that draft being the one where I watched Elvis Dumervil fall... and fall... and fall.

I wasn't for drafting him in R1 (no need, plus I was on the Mangold bandwagon). But, I would have at least considered him at 64... and was hoping he'd be taken with one of the R3 picks... and had my fingers crossed that he'd make it to the end of R4. It wasn't nearly as significant as the Aaron Rodgers drop, but IMO it was still very noteworthy.

BigNastyDefense
12-12-2015, 11:02 AM
There is always the chance the Mel Blount Rule is not in effect against the Steelers to even out the playing field, especially if the league wants certain teams in the playoffs. I have seen cleaner WBA middleweight fights in Las Vegas.

The Steelers are a team the NFL wants in the playoffs because of the ratings. The league would rather see the Steelers there than the Bills or Jets.

Do they want the Steelers winning it all? Probably not. But after the Tom Brady court debacle, I don't think they want the Patriots holding up the Lombardi either.

This offense can carry the team to the Super Bowl (and win it). And the defense is starting to look pretty good too. Boykin I think is going to be a huge boost to the beleaguered secondary, and the pass rush is starting to come on strong. If we can get these defense playing at an average level and the offense keeps this up, no team can beat us (but we can beat ourselves).

Mojouw
12-12-2015, 01:17 PM
True.

I remember that draft being the one where I watched Elvis Dumervil fall... and fall... and fall.

I wasn't for drafting him in R1 (no need, plus I was on the Mangold bandwagon). But, I would have at least considered him at 64... and was hoping he'd be taken with one of the R3 picks... and had my fingers crossed that he'd make it to the end of R4. It wasn't nearly as significant as the Aaron Rodgers drop, but IMO it was still very noteworthy.

Yeah. I forgot about that. Kind of a lesson learned about college production. Dumervill was just roasted because he was held without sacks late in his last year of college. But he was the entire defense. Teams totally ganged up on him. Meanwhile, Jarvis Jones had an excellent statistical season.

teegre
12-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Yeah. I forgot about that. Kind of a lesson learned about college production. Dumervill was just roasted because he was held without sacks late in his last year of college. But he was the entire defense. Teams totally ganged up on him. Meanwhile, Jarvis Jones had an excellent statistical season.

That... and, people freaked out about him being less than 6'0" tall.

hawaiiansteeler
12-12-2015, 06:30 PM
I wasn't for drafting him in R1 (no need, plus I was on the Mangold bandwagon).

Nick Mangold would have been a great pick, but the guy we chose instead helped us to win another Lombardi so I'm okay with that selection...:thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmvQVz1-bOU

teegre
12-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Nick Mangold would have been a great pick, but the guy we chose instead helped us to win another Lombardi so I'm okay with that selection...:thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmvQVz1-bOU

No doubt that Holmes was the better choice.

Sitting at 32, I felt there was no way Holmes drop to the Steelers; I had him slotted around 15. At 32, I wanted Mangold. Others wanted Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson, but I wanted Mangold. A few wanted LenDale Fat, but I wanted Mangold. When they traded up, I was like: Good-bye, Mangold.