PDA

View Full Version : practice squad

Buckinnuts
09-06-2010, 08:16 AM
so who made it ? who did we lose? I heard reports that Bailey went to Titans, and Logan is in detroit! I wish we could of hung on to Bailey

Bluecoat96
09-06-2010, 08:18 AM
got it from their facebook page.

(http://www.facebook.com/steelers)The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.facebook.com/steelers) Practice squad: TE Bright, G Brooks, S Crmtie-Smith, WR Grisham, T Jolly, DE McLendon, FB Summers, DE Worthington

Buckinnuts
09-06-2010, 08:21 AM
cool. Jolly seemed pretty good at Tackle never heard his number called for any infraction this preseason

tube517
09-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Good to see Grisham, Summers and Cromartie-Smith on there. With Worthington on there, that accounts for all the draft picks this year being on the team, PS or IR

LLT
09-06-2010, 08:28 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers Practice squad: TE Bright, G Brooks, S Crmtie-Smith, WR Grisham, T Jolly, DE McLendon, FB Summers, DE Worthington

Wow...we didnt keep Sunny Harris????!!!!

I would have thought he would be signed over McLendon.

SteelerFanInStl
09-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Agreed. No Harris and no Urbick.

BuddhaBus
09-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Urbik was snatched up by Buffalo.

The Duke
09-06-2010, 11:04 AM

Yeah, I was shocked about that one too. He was playing a little better last year than this year, but I thought for sure he would be with us. If not on the roster at least on the PS

Well, at least we got worthington

And grisham, yay!

Austin87
09-06-2010, 11:42 AM
It is a little shocking that Sunny Harris didn't even make the practice squad. Wonder what happened there?

Chidi29
09-06-2010, 11:49 AM
cool. Jolly seemed pretty good at Tackle never heard his number called for any infraction this preseason

Jolly barely played, but I agree; I'm glad he's still with the team.

Chidi29
09-06-2010, 11:50 AM

I don't think Urbik was practice squad eligible anyway.

The Duke
09-06-2010, 11:53 AM

why not? He wasn't active for a single game last year

Chidi29
09-06-2010, 12:17 PM
why not? He wasn't active for a single game last year

The hangup I see within the writing of the CBA is that it states that "free agents who were on the active list less than nine games..."

7willBheaven
09-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Yes Urbik was eligible for the PS.

does anyone know if Harris got claimed by or signed with another teams PS?

Chidi29
09-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes Urbik was eligible for the PS.

does anyone know if Harris got claimed by or signed with another teams PS?

Based off of what I've read, I don't think he was. I know some sites said he is, but others have disputed that.

As far as I know, Harris is still a free agent.

LLT
09-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Based off of what I've read, I don't think he was. I know some sites said he is, but others have disputed that.

If I understand the rule correctly..Urbik was elgible for the PS due to being on the roster but not active for 9 games or less during his his only "accrued season".

O'Malley
09-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Good to see Grisham, Summers and Cromartie-Smith on there. With Worthington on there, that accounts for all the draft picks this year being on the team, PS or IR

That is awesome let them ripen on the vine.

SteelerFanInStl
09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
If I understand the rule correctly..Urbik was elgible for the PS due to being on the roster but not active for 9 games or less during his his only "accrued season".

That's the way that I understand it.

Chidi29
09-06-2010, 03:43 PM

I've read that differently in two different places.

The actual writing of the CBA says that is only for "free agents". Urbik wouldn't qualify as that.

I've also read that just being on the 53 counts as a game.

oneforthetoe
09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I've read that differently in two different places.

The actual writing of the CBA says that is only for "free agents". Urbik wouldn't qualify as that.

I've also read that just being on the 53 counts as a game.

I think this is where the confusion comes from Chidi29.

On Monday, August 31, the day after the final pre-season cut-down, each club may establish a practice squad of no more than eight players, who are considered free agents. These are players who do not have more than nine games on the active list in a previous season and who have not served on a practice squad more than two previous seasons.

http://www.nflplayers.com/Articles/Public-News/Players-Can-Prove-their-Worth-on-Eight-Man-Squad/

I think the confusion comes from the fact that even players that you cut from your own team and you sign to the practice squad are considered free agents. As others have said eligibility is determined by whether a player has an accrued season (9 games on the active roster). Urbik was eligible.

oneforthetoe
09-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Ok, after some research I found the actually CBA information:

http://nfllabor.com/current-cba/

Section 4. Eligibility:
(a) The practice squad shall consist of the following players, provided
that they have not served more than two (2) previous seasons on a Practice
Squad: (i) players who do not have an Accrued Season of NFL experience;
and (ii) free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than
nine (9) regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s). An otherwise
eligible player may be a practice squad player for a third season only
if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players
on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment.
(b) A player shall be deemed to have served on a Practice Squad in
a season if he has passed the club’s physical and been a member of the
club’s Practice Squad for at least three (3) regular season or postseason
games during his first two (2) Practice Squad seasons, and for at least one
regular season or postseason game during his third Practice Squad season.
(A bye week counts as a game provided that the player is not terminated
until after the regular season or postseason weekend in question.)

Chidi29
09-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I think this is where the confusion comes from Chidi29.

On Monday, August 31, the day after the final pre-season cut-down, each club may establish a practice squad of no more than eight players, who are considered free agents. These are players who do not have more than nine games on the active list in a previous season and who have not served on a practice squad more than two previous seasons.

http://www.nflplayers.com/Articles/Public-News/Players-Can-Prove-their-Worth-on-Eight-Man-Squad/

I think the confusion comes from the fact that even players that you cut from your own team and you sign to the practice squad are considered free agents. As others have said eligibility is determined by whether a player has an accrued season (9 games on the active roster). Urbik was eligible.

You're right. Thanks for clearing that up.

Galax Steeler
09-07-2010, 03:14 AM
I am glad Grisham made it he would be some good insurance if we need him.

BuddhaBus
09-07-2010, 03:49 AM
I am glad Grisham made it he would be some good insurance if we need him.

I doubt we'll need him this year. There's an awful lot of talent in front of him right now. And don't forget.... SWEEEEEEEEED is waiting in the wings for next year! :wink02:

TXSteelerFan
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Just an update from my Facebook: Steelers have released Doug Worthington from practice squad and signed Al Wood DE, released by New Orleans there #4 pick in the 2010 Draft. Wood is 6'4", 309Lbs.

BuddhaBus
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Just an update from my Facebook: Steelers have released Doug Worthington from practice squad and signed Al Wood DE, released by New Orleans there #4 pick in the 2010 Draft. Wood is 6'4", 309Lbs.

You mean we potentially could have defensive bookends named Hood and Wood?

7willBheaven
09-07-2010, 04:15 PM

I dont like they got rid of Worthington for this guy...they should have got rid of like...well..anyone but Worthington, Summers, Cro-Smith and maybe Grisham. Oh well hopefully DW finds his way back to the PS or signed at the end of the season to the off season roster.

stillers4me
09-07-2010, 04:21 PM
A quick look at Al Woods, new practice squad player....

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/quick-profile-look-at-al-woods-new-practice-squad-player/

stillers4me
09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Ed: Steelers Swap Rookies on Practice Squad (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports-town/steelers/104835-ed-steelers-swap-rookies-on-practice-squad)

Tuesday, 07 September 2010 15:16
Written by Ed Bouchette http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdXMuc2l0ZXMucG9zdC1nYXpldHRlLmNvb S9pbmRleC5waHAvc3BvcnRzLXRvd24vc3RlZWxlcnMvMTA0ODM 1LWVkLXN0ZWVsZXJzLXN3YXAtcm9va2llcy1vbi1wcmFjdGljZ S1zcXVhZA%3D%3D)

The Steelers are making a change to their practice squad today. They are signing rookie defensive tackle Al Woods and releasing rookie defensive end Doug Worthington, their seventh-round pick.
Woods was a fourth-round draft choice of the New Orleans Saints from LSU, the 123rd pick in the draft. The Saints traded away a sixth-round pick and their fourth-rounder to Arizona to move up seven spots in the fourth round to take him.
He’s listed as 6-4, 314.
http://ht.ly/18UdeI

Galax Steeler
09-08-2010, 03:52 AM
If he is a good run stopper then I say bring him in.

LLT
09-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Woods is thought of as a NT...but has about the same size as Ziggy Hood (and runs a sub-5.0 forty) so he might be looked at as a DE or a hybrid DE/NT in our system.

If I remember right he only had about 25 reps in the bench press...so a year on the practice squad and a year in an NFL strength & conditioning program is probably in order.

The Saints run a 4-3 defense which probably doesnt play well towards Woods potential and a change to a 3-4 DE might be what he needs...who knows? Apparantly the FO thinks he has more potential than Worthington or Harris, so Woods progression might be worth watching.

LLT
09-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Woods is thought of as a NT...but has about the same size as Ziggy Hood (and runs a sub-5.0 forty) so he might be looked at as a DE or a hybrid DE/NT in our system.

If I remember right he only had about 25 reps in the bench press...so a year on the practice squad and a year in an NFL strength & conditioning program is probably in order.

The Saints run a 4-3 defense which probably doesnt play well towards Woods potential and a change to a 3-4 DE might be what he needs...who knows? Apparantly the FO thinks he has more potential than Worthington or Harris, so Woods progression might be worth watching.

I just checked...he had 23 reps on the bench press so ...yea...he will need some strength and conditioning to play either NT or DE in a 3-4.

The sheer fact that I remembered he only had 20-something reps......depresses me....I really am a draft geek.

Texasteel
09-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Your and draft geek?

If I remember right Wood was considered one of the better young DTs 2 years ago. It could be his lack of strength that cause him to drop like he did. He could have a lot of talent that needs a lot of work. Even if he does progress, I think he is 2 years away for helping us.

The Duke
09-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Apparantly the FO thinks he has more potential than Worthington or Harris, so Woods progression might be worth watching.

True

I wanted harris and worthington to work out, but at this point I want anyone be good enough to add some youth to the dline. Hope woods does well

And for now we got Hood!

Chidi29
09-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I just checked...he had 23 reps on the bench press so ...yea...he will need some strength and conditioning to play either NT or DE in a 3-4.

The sheer fact that I remembered he only had 20-something reps......depresses me....I really am a draft geek.

Woods also has 36+ inch arms. That's why his bench press numbers are low. The fact I remembered that from the draft makes me a geek, too.

He's a guy who has the physical tools and pedigree, but a classic case of being an underachiever. As some article pointed out, it will be good to have him working under John Mitchell, but I've thought of Woods being a better fit in a 4-3 than I do in a 3-4. I would have rather released McClendon, who is a similar mold but with less upside, than Worthington, but Doug could easily be back at some point. Once the season starts and injuries occur, the practice squad is always in flux.