PDA

View Full Version : Great game, but slight concerns for offense as well.

StillCurtains
12-07-2015, 05:58 PM
We all know that our defense is going to have to improve. It was a good rebound for them today from their 39 point debacle of last week. I'm still on a wait and see status with them as they faced Hasselbeck instead of Luck and were at home, so I'm not going to get overly excited about their performance. It was nice to see Boykin out there though!

However, this post is about the offense not the defense. They were absolutely exciting yesterday to the tune of 45 points! I loved it! However, I do feel that we need to clean up some things. I'm hoping that they're able to do so because it is vitally important that they do while trying to make this playoff run, and be successful if they make it.

We moved the ball well, but were pretty sloppy for a little over the first quarter. Through that period, the red zone issues popped up again. Another thing that I've always had a concern with was the loss of Bell when it occured simply for this reason.

Bell's ball security is second to none. The guy just does not fumble! Don't get me wrong, Williams has been great since he's been here. He was fantastic last night and I'm extremely happy we have him. However, he fumbled twice last night, losing one. I truly hope he can correct this. I won't mention Jacoby Jones because I believe he will be cut.

So in that early part of the game, these were the type of things that caused us to be in a 6-6 tie, and later having a 10-6 deficit instead of a 14-0 lead. This offense is too good to settle for FG's. The beginning of games are very important. It's about tone setting. The offense has to learn to execute better and be more efficient.

They have to start jumping on teams early. These are the things that teams like New England takes advantage of at the start of games. If we make the post season, these are the type teams that we will face. Teams will make us pay if we don't take advantage of opportunities.

Another concern is Bryant. He makes great plays for us. I know that Ben may overthrow or underthrow him at times as he did last night, but he has to be consistant in catching the ball. I know that the first drop in the endzone was slightly behind him, but it was very catchable. Then Ben threw him another beautiful endzone shot and he dropped that one.

I know he was huge as well last night, but you have to catch catchable passes. I would hate to lose a playoff game by an endzone drop. The very last thing I truly don't like is not properly playing our percentages.

We continue to throw deep passes on 3rd and short. I don't like it at all. I know they hit on some of them and you get that.... "No, No, No, Yeah!!!!" reaction, but we have also missed some last night. I just feel you have to be smart in that situation and run a high percentage play to pick up the short yardage that is needed to extend the drive.

I just don't feel it's very smart in that situation. The only reason I see fit doing it is on a defensive flag for a free play, or a busted coverage where someone is left all alone. If you go for a homerun on third and short an miss, it leaves points on the field as well as time of possession. These type of things can get you beat as well.

Believe me guys, I know we scored 45 points and I'm not knitpicking or complaining. I just hope you guys see where I'm getting at in order for us to go forward.

Thanks

Mojouw
12-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Reasonable positions all. I still say that for every one of those 3rd and short shots deep that misfires, it sets up another big play at another point in the game. If team's know that you are only going to take your shots in certain situations, then they can adjust their coverage schemes accordingly. If they know that you are going to load it up and go for broke at any old time, then they have to back both those safeties out of the box, set-up the corners downfield and considering dropping LBs into coverage rather than rushing. That opens up things for the TE and Rb in the short areas and the run game as well.

Like I said before, I could be way wrong on this. It is really just my opinion and not based on much of anything. I just think you have to dance with the one that brung ya. And with the WR corps this team has, there just isn't much sense in having them run 5 yard outs and 7 yard hitches.

ANd even when you don't hit the shot, it seems to affect the other team's thinking. Frank Gore was nowhere to be found in the game last night. The Colts, at least to me, looked like a team that from about the later part of the first quarter or so figured they better score and score quickly every time they got the ball, because that was clearly the Steelers plan.

polamalubeast
12-07-2015, 06:12 PM
The offense has three weaknesses.....Too many turnovers since the game against the Chiefs,problems in the redzone sometimes and they have a often slow start.

But for the rest, they are unbelievable especially when they are aggressive.They had at least 450 yards in the last four games and they have scored 143 points(4 games) since week 9 vs OAK.

StillCurtains
12-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Reasonable positions all. I still say that for every one of those 3rd and short shots deep that misfires, it sets up another big play at another point in the game. If team's know that you are only going to take your shots in certain situations, then they can adjust their coverage schemes accordingly. If they know that you are going to load it up and go for broke at any old time, then they have to back both those safeties out of the box, set-up the corners downfield and considering dropping LBs into coverage rather than rushing. That opens up things for the TE and Rb in the short areas and the run game as well.

Like I said before, I could be way wrong on this. It is really just my opinion and not based on much of anything. I just think you have to dance with the one that brung ya. And with the WR corps this team has, there just isn't much sense in having them run 5 yard outs and 7 yard hitches.

ANd even when you don't hit the shot, it seems to affect the other team's thinking. Frank Gore was nowhere to be found in the game last night. The Colts, at least to me, looked like a team that from about the later part of the first quarter or so figured they better score and score quickly every time they got the ball, because that was clearly the Steelers plan.

Well said!!! You make a very, very good point sir! I didn't think about that!

- - - Updated - - -

The offense has three weaknesses.....Too many turnovers since the game against the Chiefs,problems in the redzone sometimes and they have a often slow start.

But for the rest, they are unbelievable especially when they are aggressive.They had at least 450 yards in the last four games and they have scored 143 points(4 games) since week 9 vs OAK.

Yeah, with all things considered, I just love Ben and this video game offense!

Craic
12-07-2015, 06:47 PM
I'm not so worried about redzone stats. In fact, the Steelers are exactly average (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct)in scoring in the redzone. I would be concerned with that if we were a team that had to march down the field and punch it in, but we aren't. We're a team that's a danger to score from literally anywhere on the field. In fact, we have 8 TDs from outside the redzone, basically, a quarter of all our TDs. On top of that, we are ninth in total TDs from the redzone, and overall, we're 9th in total TDs per game. Would it be nice to punch it in whenever we get into the redzone? Absolutely, but statistically, we have absolutely no problems with it. We're not exactly efficient, but we're not in problem territory either.

Ball Security - can't argue with you on that one. The second strip was just a beautiful defensive play, if I remember right, and Williams is actually lucky he held on to it as long as he did. The first one was also a good defensive play, but it's one that RBs should be able to account for, so no bye there. I do notice, however, that Williams has great overall ball security. Note how he wraps both arms around the ball heading into traffic, shifts the ball away from traffic when he's being shadowed, etc.

Bryant - he gets a complete pass for last night. The first ball was a missile I'd guess was in the upper double-digits. It was thrown so hard that Bryant, after being hit in the shoulder with it, had to lay on the ground and massage the spot, which was under his shoulder pads! If anything, that was Ben's fault for not putting a tad bit more touch on it (of course, if memory serves, he didn't have that big a window, either). His second drop in the endzone would have been a great catch had he made it. He was completely stretched out, flying sideways into the endzone, and shadowed by a defender just a few inches away. AB probably makes that catch, Jerry Rice makes that catch, Steve Largent makes the catch if he could get there in time, but I doubt many #2 receivers in the league today make that catch, or a few #1s as well.

Long passes - I think Ben likes to gamble a bit too much on them, but they've paid off so much and with the guys we have, it makes a lot of sense as well. Yet, with our 2 point conversion rate, I'm not sure why we don't run out those plays more often.

I'll add one - I probably guessed 80% of our running plays last night, maybe more. We're telegraphic to much. I do like the "you can't stop us" attitude, but I wish we'd run more pass plays out of obvious run sets to mix it up more.

lipps83
12-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Bryant didn't drop anything that was critical. I don't care if he dropped 6 passes last night, he still had two long ones and a spectacular TD.

With his talent, I would be happy if he was even a 50/50 catcher. He is a bonus and makes this offense go.

StillCurtains
12-07-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm not so worried about redzone stats. In fact, the Steelers are exactly average (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct)in scoring in the redzone. I would be concerned with that if we were a team that had to march down the field and punch it in, but we aren't. We're a team that's a danger to score from literally anywhere on the field. In fact, we have 8 TDs from outside the redzone, basically, a quarter of all our TDs. On top of that, we are ninth in total TDs from the redzone, and overall, we're 9th in total TDs per game. Would it be nice to punch it in whenever we get into the redzone? Absolutely, but statistically, we have absolutely no problems with it. We're not exactly efficient, but we're not in problem territory either.

Ball Security - can't argue with you on that one. The second strip was just a beautiful defensive play, if I remember right, and Williams is actually lucky he held on to it as long as he did. The first one was also a good defensive play, but it's one that RBs should be able to account for, so no bye there. I do notice, however, that Williams has great overall ball security. Note how he wraps both arms around the ball heading into traffic, shifts the ball away from traffic when he's being shadowed, etc.

Bryant - he gets a complete pass for last night. The first ball was a missile I'd guess was in the upper double-digits. It was thrown so hard that Bryant, after being hit in the shoulder with it, had to lay on the ground and massage the spot, which was under his shoulder pads! If anything, that was Ben's fault for not putting a tad bit more touch on it (of course, if memory serves, he didn't have that big a window, either). His second drop in the endzone would have been a great catch had he made it. He was completely stretched out, flying sideways into the endzone, and shadowed by a defender just a few inches away. AB probably makes that catch, Jerry Rice makes that catch, Steve Largent makes the catch if he could get there in time, but I doubt many #2 receivers in the league today make that catch, or a few #1s as well.

Long passes - I think Ben likes to gamble a bit too much on them, but they've paid off so much and with the guys we have, it makes a lot of sense as well. Yet, with our 2 point conversion rate, I'm not sure why we don't run out those plays more often.

I'll add one - I probably guessed 80% of our running plays last night, maybe more. We're telegraphic to much. I do like the "you can't stop us" attitude, but I wish we'd run more pass plays out of obvious run sets to mix it up more.

Yeah, I like and appreciate your points. It's not about agreeing with what everyone says, but it's just nice to converse with fellow Steeler fans and see their point of view as well!

I hope the defense can get better. I know Ben was a bit more nimble in his younger years, but I can honestly say without being biased that there is no other QB in the league I would take besides him. These last 3 years of his career have absolutely been his best of his career.

It's not just about his growing stats, but his fearlessness, and leadership. He's now such a seasoned general now. Seeing him come in as a bright eyed rookie to an unquestioned father figure type player to this team is amazing!

Also, I have seen many dominant offenses in my time. I was a little too young to remember the 70's Steelers. I did see the 80's Niners, 90's Cowboys and that 99 Rams team! I have yet to see an offense quite like this one. In this day and time it's just crazy! If you can light up a Seattle defense on the road that was ranked second at the time, that's saying something!

It just seems like one of those unrealistic, unfair offenses that you build on a video game. I actually feel that the league is lucky that Bell is hurt because it would just be unfair. Yes, I really feel that way!!!!

Mojouw
12-07-2015, 07:51 PM
I don't remember an offense that was as straight up, line 'em up and throw it deep as the current version of the Steelers offense is. Maybe some of those Run and Shoot offenses in the late 80's and early 90's? I mean I know that all prolific offenses generate big plays and rip off chunks of yardage.

Can anyone help me out here? What are some other offenses (years, teams, etc) that just basically lined up and said "Okay. Here's the deal. If the WR is even, he's leaving. And I don't think you can stop it anyways."?

I would love to compare yards per attempt. I know the Greatest Show on Turf (mentioned above) ate up yardage, but I certainly seem to remember them having a ton of YAC and getting their QB lit up - a Mike Martz specialty if I remember correctly...

ALLD
12-07-2015, 07:52 PM
I missed the giant failure of trick plays. Notice how the Pats ran one and lost while the Steelers only really gambled with long passes on 3rd and short and won a couple.

polamalubeast
12-07-2015, 07:59 PM
When the Steelers are at their best, I compare this offense with the St. Louis Rams in 1999 to 2001.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't remember an offense that was as straight up, line 'em up and throw it deep as the current version of the Steelers offense is. Maybe some of those Run and Shoot offenses in the late 80's and early 90's? I mean I know that all prolific offenses generate big plays and rip off chunks of yardage.

Can anyone help me out here? What are some other offenses (years, teams, etc) that just basically lined up and said "Okay. Here's the deal. If the WR is even, he's leaving. And I don't think you can stop it anyways."?

I would love to compare yards per attempt. I know the Greatest Show on Turf (mentioned above) ate up yardage, but I certainly seem to remember them having a ton of YAC and getting their QB lit up - a Mike Martz specialty if I remember correctly...

Maybe the Arizona Cardinals right now?.....Maybe not at the level of the steelers, but Bruce Arians love the deep pass!

polamalubeast
12-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Carson Palmer has 8.8 YPA and 13.8 yards per completion

Roethlisberger has 8.9 YPA and 13.5 yards per completion

fansince'76
12-07-2015, 08:15 PM

The "Air Coryell" offenses in San Diego in the late '70s/early '80s. Different era, but they were very much a vertical offense.

Count Steeler
12-07-2015, 09:30 PM

2 come to mind. The Saints with Brees, about 5 years ago, I think the year they lost to Seattle on the road and Seattle was 7-9, Saints were 11-5 or 12-4.

New England Patriots when Brady passed for 50 TDs and Randy Moss had 16 or 18 TDs.

Of course, the Raiders with the Snake loved going deep with Cliff Branch. Having Biletnikof? and Dave Casper helped as well.

Mojouw
12-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Here is some fun with #'s.

Look at the list of single season yards per completion (simply pass yards/passes completed) - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_cmp_single_season.htm
You have to scroll until #226 until you get an active quarterback! ANd you find Nick Foles and Ben. Bradshaw and Bobby Layne litter the list above them. Goodness, before the late 70's everyone must have only thrown deep!

Backed up by this list - Yards/Passes attempted for a single season - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_att_single_season.htm
Here you at least find some active and recent QBs (Rodgers, Manning, Warner, Marino, Foles, Roethlisberger).

Looking at the same stat for career (active guys only) - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_att_active.htm and you can really see that Rodgers and Roethlisberger love to throw deep. Backed up by active yards per completion - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_cmp_active.htm

The total career stats tell an interesting story http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_cmp_career.htm
Simply that teams throw more and shorter passes now than ever before. The Steelers are so RETRO
:)

Craic
12-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Simply that teams throw more and shorter passes now than ever before. The Steelers are so RETRO
:)

That really is it. I know everyone says this is a pass league, but when you look where those passes are going, in reality, they're basically funky runs. 3, 5, yard passes with a ton of YAC. The type of passing offense the Steelers are using really hasn't been seen a whole lot since the 60s and 70s. You're absolutely right. And, to be honest, it's how the Steelers won two of their four superbowls.

Mojouw
12-07-2015, 10:20 PM
Now I'm watching YA Title, Van Brocklin, and Otto Graham highlights.

All those guys did is bomb away or handoff. No wonder Woody Hayes said only 3 things can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad!

fansince'76
12-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Look at the list of single season yards per completion (simply pass yards/passes completed) - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_cmp_single_season.htm
You have to scroll until #226 until you get an active quarterback! ANd you find Nick Foles and Ben. Bradshaw and Bobby Layne litter the list above them. Goodness, before the late 70's everyone must have only thrown deep!

That's about right. And then the WCO came along and changed everything...

http://40.media.tumblr.com/e850523d6947d30f5b927179514e9a3b/tumblr_my27raqFpt1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

StillCurtains
12-07-2015, 10:58 PM
Carson Palmer has 8.8 YPA and 13.8 yards per completion

Roethlisberger has 8.9 YPA and 13.5 yards per completion

Arizona has the big play factor for sure being ranked #1. However, we're right on their heels ranked 2nd. I do realize they have more TD's but I feel we're the better offense.

When you look at the games missed by Pouncey, Beachum, Ben, Bell, and Bryant, with the fact that Arizona has been healthy, we would be shattering them statistically right now.

Mojouw
12-07-2015, 11:04 PM
That's about right. And then the WCO came along and changed everything...

http://40.media.tumblr.com/e850523d6947d30f5b927179514e9a3b/tumblr_my27raqFpt1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg

Interestingly enough, the whole thing comes out of Paul Brown's schemes with the Bengals and Bill Walsh first really successfully brought his ideas to the field with Ken Anderson. I didn't know that off the the top of my head. Goodness, the NFL is just a tangled nest of connections.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Scouting-trip-in-time-how-Bengals-drafted-Ken-Anderson/938bdf2f-4366-4962-98c8-e271d26fcf48

A really long read, but absolutely fascinating - http://www.westcoastoffense.com/bill%20walsh%20method%20for%20game%20planning.htm - Makes some things we see and don't see on Sunday make somewhat more sense.

This is pretty cool as well - http://baltimoresportsandlife.com/erhardt-perkins-system-part-2/ - basically there are only 3 "base" offenses in the entire league w/ everyone simply running slightly different "flavors".

tube517
12-07-2015, 11:22 PM
The "Air Coryell" offenses in San Diego in the late '70s/early '80s. Different era, but they were very much a vertical offense.

84 Dolphins. They had no real running game. Shula let Marino loose. "Marks" brothers at WR. (Duper and Clayton)

98 Vikings. They had a decent RB but Carter/Moss/J.Reed was a great group of WR's. Cunningham's career year.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2015, 01:20 AM

7 step drop backs galore