PDA

View Full Version : Is this going for 2 thing really necessary?

Psycho Ward 86
12-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Sorry to make 2 threads that come off as negative following a big win :lol:, but I just find them genuinely interesting to talk about.

Last night we set the record for most 2 point conversions in a season in NFL history. With 4 games to spare. As great as we've been at this, I have to question how rewarding it is. We have yet to play a game where we converted a 2 point conversion where it seemed to have any impact whatsoever on the outcome of the game.

Id honestly rather that we save these 2 point plays for the red zone offense and just ensure that were scoring TD's instead of field goals (and not give opposing teams all this film on what most likely amounts to a play that doesnt change the ending result of the game).

Thoughts?

tube517
12-07-2015, 11:09 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/24/9391581/pittsburgh-steelers-two-point-conversions-missed-extra-points-nfl

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4656194-pittsburgh-steelers-two-point-conversions-ben-roethlisberger-offense

Fair question. Like it or not, it seems to be a normal part of the offense going forward.

zulater
12-07-2015, 11:11 AM
The more you show them the more future opponents have to practice for. Also you gain a comfort level and become more efficient in your goal line offense. It also gives the team a mental boost. I'm for it as long as they continue to convert over 55%

Mojouw
12-07-2015, 11:13 AM
"Over the course of 50 touchdowns (a number the Steelers should easily surpass), that will turn 50 points into at least 75."

Despite the fact that sentence is not a true statement as it is written, the sentiment is a good one. I think it is an amazing strategy that puts enough extra pressure on the opposition to help mask a crappy defense. Going up by 4 instead of three means that the other team now has to think touchdown instead of FG.

tube517
12-07-2015, 11:20 AM
With the PAT moved back (8 missed PATs across the league yesterday) and the talent on this offense and Ben as the QB, I have more faith than I would have in year's past.

That doesn't mean I still won't get nervous or my BP won't go up when they try one

steelreserve
12-07-2015, 11:31 AM
The fact that the PAT is no longer a guaranteed point changes the math substantially in favor of the two-pointer. So it is the right call.

It's rare for any extra point to make a difference in a game, whether it's for one point or two.

Rotorhead
12-07-2015, 11:44 AM
not to mention it gets our goal line offense more practice, when we really need it, we will be well versed and ready. We also need to convert 50% to equal PA's, I think we are over 50% now so we are ahead in pts.

Count Steeler
12-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Keep doing it. Also sends a mental message to their opponents.

Dissolv
12-07-2015, 01:02 PM
not to mention it gets our goal line offense more practice, when we really need it, we will be well versed and ready. We also need to convert 50% to equal PA's, I think we are over 50% now so we are ahead in pts.

Totally this. +1

Dissolv

fansince'76
12-07-2015, 01:11 PM

Yep, we're at 70% currently (7/10).

hawaiiansteeler
12-07-2015, 01:12 PM
not to mention it gets our goal line offense more practice, when we really need it, we will be well versed and ready.

you mean like against Seattle? :stirthepot:

Shoes
12-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Keep doing it. Also sends a mental message to their opponents.

Agreed and it also gives the Steelers the added confidence if they need 2 points to win a game. Just keep Boz in the loop.

86WARD
12-07-2015, 02:14 PM
I don't have a problem with it unless it was in a situation that they are up by two in a close game...then it gets a little dicey IMO. But then at the same time, the XP is not guaranteed so anything closer to the end zone is a bit better.

NCSteeler
12-07-2015, 11:51 PM
I think going for 2 can put pressure on the other team to score TDs and go for 2 also given the right situation. But basically once you make one 2 point conversion early, you're playing with house money.