PDA

View Full Version : Late round RE-DRAFT: Shaq Barrett

teegre
12-06-2015, 04:18 PM
Hindsight is 20/20...

That being said, everyone and their mother had the Steelers drafting Shaq Barrett.

1. Barrett played under Joey Porter.
2. The Steelers needed an OLB.

I am watching him dismantle the Chargers, and wondering why Joey Porter didn't push harder to draft him???

ALLD
12-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Tomlin didn't get the feeling.

Mojouw
12-06-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm guessing this is the answer: "Nobody had to tell Barrett why he wasn’t drafted a year ago; teams were scared off by his 24% body fat as a 6-1, 250-pound rush linebacker."

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/12/nfl-denver-broncos-shaquil-barrett-diet

Guessing the Broncos didn't see it coming either, as they drafted Shane Ray to play behind Ware and Miller. Maybe Porter didn't think that Barrett would work hard enough to get in NFL shape?

More from the same article:
"That Barrett landed on an NFL team with the proper resources to remedy his particular shortcoming was something of a dice roll. By Snyder’s count, only 12 teams have full-time dieticians on staff (the group meets at each combine, when schedules permit). When Snyder got the job in 2009, the Broncos put Snyder in a small office far away from the cafeteria and continued to outsource meals to local caterers for five years, until the team built a kitchen space and hired chefs during the 2014 season."

NFL teams are so damn dumb it isn't even funny. Their only tangible assets are the physical well being of their employees and since the league/coaches are almost all a bunch of old school conservative types - they barely do anything to maximize and assist that asset. I know it is cold and borderline offensive to talk about players that way, but bear with me for a bit - I have a point. How do you not have a dietitian, nutritionist, a number of chefs on staff to make sure the players understand what proper food for them is and how to obtain it etc? That is just stupid. What could it cost the teams a couple 100K a year? How do teams not have mental health professionals and sports psychologists if not on the payroll, at least on retainer? What about marriage counselors and financial advisers? Look at what the Suns in the NBA were able to do with getting and keeping players healthy by paying for an extensive and multi-faceted approach to their training and strength staff. Why are all sports franchises not doing this?

It just seems weird. If I was an NFL owner, I would employ a fortune teller if someone thought it might help!

ALLD
12-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Some teams prefer to cheat to win while others use the benefit of favorable calls by the refs. Still others have a direct line to the commissioner's office to help.

Texasteel
12-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Some teams prefer to cheat to win while others use the benefit of favorable calls by the refs. Still others have a direct line to the commissioner's office to help.

Put them all together they spell Patriots.

steelreserve
12-08-2015, 12:14 PM
I am watching him dismantle the Chargers, and wondering why Joey Porter didn't push harder to draft him???

You're still watching the Chargers?

teegre
12-08-2015, 02:24 PM
You're still watching the Chargers?

You live in SD, too (right?). So, you are aware that in Sundays, they do not play a full schedule of NFL games. Instead of the Eagles-Taperiots game, local Fox was showing an infomercial on dentures.

I wanted football on the TV (as I worked on the honey-do lost. So, Broncos-Bolts had to suffice. I probably would have enjoyed the infomercial more. :lol:

Steelermania
12-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Anyone can play that game. You could put together a Super Bowl quality team, using just free agents, and guys drafted in the 6th, and 7th rounds. You could also put together a team of guys drafted in the first round over the last decade, that would be worse than Cleveland. It happens.

teegre
12-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Anyone can play that game. You could put together a Super Bowl quality team, using just free agents, and guys drafted in the 6th, and 7th rounds. You could also put together a team of guys drafted in the first round over the last decade, that would be worse than Cleveland. It happens.

I get that.

That is not my point.

Barrett was coached by Joey Porter at Colorado State. Barrett was Porter's go-to guy on that defense. Porter loved him. And so... it's odd that Barrett didn't get drafted by the Steelers.

Make sense?

hawaiiansteeler
12-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Barrett was coached by Joey Porter at Colorado State. Barrett was Porter's go-to guy on that defense. Porter loved him. And so... it's odd that Barrett didn't get drafted by the Steelers.

Make sense?

makes sense to me.

I had the Steelers selecting Shaquil Barrett in the 7th round of my mock draft that year because I thought Joey Porter would definitely lobby for him..

Mojouw
12-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Well they did try and sign him http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-shaquil-barrett-joey-porter-broncos/

Wonder if it would have worked as well here? Other articles that dig a bit deeper really seemed to indicate that it was the overall health and training program that Denver has in place that put this young man on a path to NFL success.

teegre
12-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Well they did try and sign him http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-shaquil-barrett-joey-porter-broncos/

Wonder if it would have worked as well here? Other articles that dig a bit deeper really seemed to indicate that it was the overall health and training program that Denver has in place that put this young man on a path to NFL success.

Ugh. So, for about $10,000 the Steelers could have had a possible starter at OLB. :doh:

Psycho Ward 86
12-17-2015, 03:21 PM
You win some you lose some. But I think its hard to argue it would have been a big win for us at OLB if we still had Howard Jones and Shaquil Barrett.

Ideally, Harrison, Dupree, Hojo, Barrett, and Moats looks an awful lot better than what we have now

Mojouw
12-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Ugh. So, for about $10,000 the Steelers could have had a possible starter at OLB. :doh:

Not so sure it is that simple. The other article we were linked to earlier in the thread lays out some pretty specific situational things that got Barrett sorted out in Denver. Do those same structures exist in Pittsburgh? Or does he come here and stay slow and out of shape?