PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity awaits Boykin

hawaiiansteeler
12-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Steelers notebook: Opportunity awaits Boykin

by Chris Adamski
Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015

Four months to the day after being acquired, Brandon Boykin finally might be part of the Steelers' defensive game plan.

The fourth-year cornerback, who has played only 24 snaps in the first 11 games, will be given a “look” and “an opportunity” during practice this week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said while answering a question about starting cornerback Antwon Blake during his news conference Tuesday.

Blake, whom Pro Football Focus ranks 113th among 114 NFL cornerbacks it evaluates, missed tackles during Sunday's loss at Seattle. He played every snap in a secondary that allowed 345 passing yards.

“(Blake) had some difficulties in the game from a tackling perspective. I think you can say the same about (nickel cornerback) Ross Cockrell,” Tomlin said. “We're going to give both guys an opportunity to rebound, but we're also going to look at other options this week.”

Blake, in his fourth season, is a starter for the first time. Veteran William Gay is the other starting cornerback, although he goes into the slot when Cockrell enters the game.

The Steelers acquired Boykin on Aug. 1 in a trade with the Eagles, who received a fifth-round pick, and he had a reputation for being a stellar slot cornerback. The Steelers prefer Gay in the slot, and seem to have little confidence in Boykin outside.

Tomlin said the team is weighing keeping Gay on the outside in nickel situations, allowing Boykin to play the slot.

“(Boykin's) kind of distinguished himself as an interior corner, but William Gay has played primarily in the interior and has been rock solid for us,” Tomlin said. “The performances of the guys outside (Blake, Cockrell) needs to be better, based on the last performance. But not that it's been consistently below the line looking at the larger body of work. So it really hadn't been a big discussion about getting (Boykin) reps to this point. I acknowledge that it is going to be a big discussion as we prepare this week.”

The Steelers rank 30th in the NFL in passing defense (283.6 yards per game).

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9546139-74/tomlin-boykin-game#ixzz3tCAnG4NF

Shoes
12-02-2015, 02:17 PM
If Tomlin starts Boykin, its because of the heat in the kitchen.

Rotorhead
12-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Nothing to do with heat, hell must have frozen over!

Psycho Ward 86
12-02-2015, 06:08 PM
theres an awful lot of chatter about benching Blake, sliding Gay to the outside and putting Boykin in the slot where Gay has been pretty good during his career in Pittsburgh.

Being that we know Gay is good slot corner and a pretty awful outside corner

And being that we know that Boykin has been one of the very best slot corners in the league that just hasnt had the opportunity to play outside, I'd like to see Boykin get a couple snaps on the outside as well and see how he handles it. Whats the worst that could happen? Certainly not worse than Antwon Blake.

86WARD
12-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Speculation.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2015, 09:36 PM
“The performances of the guys outside (Blake, Cockrell) needs to be better, based on the last performance. But not that it's been consistently below the line looking at the larger body of work. So it really hadn't been a big discussion about getting (Boykin) reps to this point.

What games have you been watching Tomlin?

hawaiiansteeler
12-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Will Boykin get his shot this week?

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

CB Brandon Boykin wants to be on the field helping his teammates win.

All Brandon Boykin wants is an opportunity. He just wants to play the game he loves. He is a competitor, and he wants to compete.

And this week, that opportunity might come his way.

Coach Mike Tomlin indicated in his weekly press conference that Boykin could be worked into the mix this week after the corners struggled against Seattle.

Boykin is hoping that is the case, but he is preparing for Sunday’s game against the Indianapolis Colts the same as he has every other one this season.

“We’ll see what is going to happen,” said Boykin. “Despite everything that has been happening the entire season I have a responsibility as a professional to go about my business and do it the right way. Whatever happens is going to happen. I am going to prepare the same way. If I am on the field I am going to play and do what I am supposed to do and show everybody what I am capable of.”

The Steelers traded for Boykin during training camp in exchange for a conditional fifth-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft. But he hasn’t found his way onto the field in the base defense with the exception of limited action.

While he only started six games with the Eagles, he did see extensive playing time on defense and adjusting to his new circumstances has been challenging.

“When you are in the situation I have been in it’s tough because you have to prepare every single week because you could be in at any time,” said Boykin. “That’s been kind of hard for me, making that change, that transition, knowing you still have to stay ready because you could play. I have to attack it the same way. I never lost any confidence in myself the entire season. Once I get out there it will be exciting for me.

“You just have to roll with it. From me getting here, everything has been new. The thing I learned is to stay in the moment, don’t have expectations, don’t do anything out of the norm for you. For me it’s been a learning experience and this week is no different as far as I prepare.”

Boykin said he has been asked multiple times why he hasn’t been on the field, but he doesn’t have an answer to the question.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Will-Boykin-get-his-shot-this-week/4bd25c59-acbe-4d26-aa93-af2e3e7b8bbe

MrPgh
12-02-2015, 11:32 PM
Nothing to do with heat, hell must have frozen over!

Nonsense. Tomlin likes to defend a blade of grass. There is no grass in hell.

86WARD
12-03-2015, 02:36 AM
What games have you been watching Tomlin?[/COLOR]

Seriously...

It's like someone cuts up the game film for him but doesn't include the shit play...

Rotorhead
12-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Read an article that Boykin could replace Blake OR COCKRELL? Are you kidding me, yes Cockrell didnt have the best game, but it was absolutely better than Blake. If Cockrell sits and Blake plays I won't even know what to say. I agree with the above, Gay has never been a very good outside CB, I certainly remember him getting burned a number of times before he left. Maybe with some safety help over the top that won't happen anymore (we did have Clark and Troy before, so that pretty much means we had 1 safety playing safety back then). Hopefully whatever they come up with works well enough to get us our wins.

Steeldude
12-03-2015, 10:26 AM
So far in practice nothing has changed. Don't expect to see Boykin this year.

hawaiiansteeler
12-03-2015, 10:34 AM

James C Wexell@jimwexell

CB Brandon Boykin confirmed that he "rotated in" with the ones at practice today. #Steelers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimwexell

Steeldude
12-03-2015, 10:52 AM
James C Wexell@jimwexell

CB Brandon Boykin confirmed that he "rotated in" with the ones at practice today. #Steelers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimwexell

Well that's promising. Steeldepot reported Cockrell as saying nothing has changed.

86WARD
12-03-2015, 12:20 PM

Or next year or ever.

BigBen2004
12-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Coach Butler said today that it's, "time to work Brandon in the slot and move Will Gay outside, to get Ross and Antwon some rest".

"Rest". Just admit it. It's not because of rest, it's because they've played horrible. Well, Blake at least.

Either way, it sounds like Boykin is going to see significant snaps!

hawaiiansteeler
12-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Well that's promising. Steeldepot reported Cockrell as saying nothing has changed.

that's just Cockrell playing silly poker games...