PDA

View Full Version : Steelers CB Brandon Boykin Believes He Could’ve Contributed Sooner This Season

Shoes
12-02-2015, 02:06 PM
MOST OF US THINK SO TOO, BRANDON! NOW GIVE BLAKE THE KEYS TO TOMLIN'S DOG HOUSE.

BY DAVE BRYAN (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/davebryan/) DECEMBER 2, 2015 AT 10:59 AM
Will Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Brandon Boykin finally get a chance to contribute Sunday night in the team’s home game against the Indianapolis Colts? Judging by the comments made Tuesday by head coach Mike Tomlin, Boykin, who the team acquired during training camp via a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, will likely at least get to play in the team’s defensive sub package against the Colts due to the team needing to shake things up in their secondary.
Boykin reportedly talked to the media Wednesday morning and as expected, he gave a lot of PC answers to the questions he was asked.
According to Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Boykin said it’s been a “tough and frustrating season” so far for him but he’ll be ready Sunday night if ultimately given the opportunity to play against the Colts.
“The situation I’ve been in, it’s tough because you have to prepare every single week because you can be in at any time,” Boykin said (http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/12/02/Brandon-Boykin-ready-for-his-opportunity/stories/201512020001). “That’s been hard for me, making that change or that transition, knowing that you have to stay ready because you can play. I have to attack it the same way. I never lost any confidence in myself the entire season. Once I get out there it will be exciting for me.”

Brandon Boykin said its been a tough and frustrating season but he'll be ready this week if given the opportunity.
— Ray Fittipaldo (@rayfitt1) December 2, 2015 (https://twitter.com/rayfitt1/status/672067555402637312)
So far this season, Boykin hasn’t even logged 25 snaps on defense through the team’s first 11 games and he could easily double that amount Sunday night even if he only plays as the slot corner in the Steelers nickel package.
According to Jacob Klinger of pennlive.com, Boykin nodded when he was asked whether or not he thought he could have contributed sooner this season if he had been given the chance to do so. Additionally, he reportedly said he’d like to remain in Pittsburgh past this season.

Brandon Boykin nodded when asked if he could've been contributing sooner this season, said he'd like to stay in #pgh (https://twitter.com/hashtag/pgh?src=hash) #steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/steelers?src=hash) @pasports (https://twitter.com/pasports)
— Jacob Klinger (@Jacob_Klinger_) December 2, 2015 (https://twitter.com/Jacob_Klinger_/status/672068380933947396)
Being as Boykin is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent during the offseason, it’s almost certain that he will test free agency. Should he wind up playing well in the Steelers final five games, it’s almost certain that he that he will be wearing a different uniform in 2016.
I’ll update this post with more quotes from Boykin later on in the afternoon.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-brandon-boykin-week-13-colts-comments/
(http://popup.taboola.com/en/?template=colorbox&taboola_utm_source=steelersdepot&taboola_utm_medium=bytaboola&taboola_utm_content=thumbnails-a:below-article:)

steelreserve
12-02-2015, 02:28 PM
YEAH NO SHIT.

Steelman
12-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Well what's he gonna say, "No, I was incapable of contributing before this point in time?"

The real nugget here is his statement about wanting to stay in Pittsburgh. That is surprising to me.

TeeTee
12-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Well, if he didn't worship Tomlin and kiss his ring, he wasn't gonna play.

With this staff, egos are served before team success.

MrPgh
12-02-2015, 03:39 PM
I was going to make a comment here, but I've decided instead to go paint something with a broad brush.

Rotorhead
12-02-2015, 04:05 PM
For someone who attempts to use logical arguments and complains about everyone using straw man arguments, your comments about Boykin not kissing Tomlin's rings is interesting . . .

Mojouw
12-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Well what's he gonna say, "No, I was incapable of contributing before this point in time?"

The real nugget here is his statement about wanting to stay in Pittsburgh. That is surprising to me.

Yeah. That one shocked me as well. I figured he was counting the days until he could get the hell outta here.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2015, 05:23 PM

I'm not surprised that he would tell the media that. I would be surprised if it's the truth though.

If I were in his shoes, my locker would be cleaned out immediately after the last game.

salamander
12-02-2015, 06:54 PM
Last year it was Lance Moore, this year it's Boykin. Who's the lucky ones going to be next year?

ALLD
12-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Well, if he didn't worship Tomlin and kiss his ring, he wasn't gonna play.

With this staff, egos are served before team success.

Will be interesting to see what Boykin says after the last game. If this is the reason, then this should be Tomlin's last season in Pittsburgh. The dramatic platitudes and colloquialisms are hollow substitutes for victories.

MrPgh
12-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Will be interesting to see what Boykin says after the last game. If this is the reason, then this should be Tomlin's last season in Pittsburgh. The dramatic platitudes and colloquialisms are hollow substitutes for victories.

Some of Tomlin's problems are above the neck.

86WARD
12-02-2015, 07:41 PM
The "No Duh" article of the week.

tube517
12-03-2015, 06:12 AM
What would really suck is if Boykin plays and makes a big contribution and turns out to be a good CB that is worth keeping but he leaves and then we are stuck with nothing leading into the draft........ again.

I know it's only 5 games and a long shot but it would still suck.

Shoes
12-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Tomlin's presser this week sounds nearly the same as it did after the NE game.

When Tomlin was asked whether Boykin would play more on Sunday vs. the 49ers, he said, “We’ll see. We’re putting a plan together that will allow us to play the type of ball we want to play this week, and he’s a guy who’s under strong consideration.”

Why didn’t Boykin play in New England?
“We chose to play other people,” said Tomlin.

Boykin only played 11 snaps against the 49ers. Cockrell has been a nice surprise this year but he played 39 snaps. This was their history at that point.

Career Starts: Cockrell 0, Boykin 6
Career Games Played: Cockrell 7, Boykin 50
Career Passes Defended: Cockrell 0, Boykin 32
Career Interceptions: Cockrell 0, Boykin 6

It makes no sense!

tube517
12-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Tomlin's presser this week sounds nearly the same as it did after the NE game.

When Tomlin was asked whether Boykin would play more on Sunday vs. the 49ers, he said, “We’ll see. We’re putting a plan together that will allow us to play the type of ball we want to play this week, and he’s a guy who’s under strong consideration.”
Why didn’t Boykin play in New England?
“We chose to play other people,” said Tomlin.
Boykin only played 11 snaps against the 49ers. Cockrell has been a nice surprise this year but he played 39 snaps. This was their history at that point.

Career Starts: Cockrell 0, Boykin 6
Career Games Played: Cockrell 7, Boykin 50
Career Passes Defended: Cockrell 0, Boykin 32
Career Interceptions: Cockrell 0, Boykin 6

It makes no sense!

I've said it before. I'll believe it when I see it. Not really getting my hopes up for any change.

Steeldude
12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Boykin won't play this weekend or all year. Tomlin loves Blake.

hawaiiansteeler
12-05-2015, 12:03 AM
Brandon Boykin worked into a rotation Wednesday, but Blake holds spot Thursday

JIM WEXELL

PITTSBURGH -- A day after the Pittsburgh Steelers used a rotation of their first three cornerbacks, struggling starter Antwon Blake confirmed that he took all of the first-team reps Thursday in what appeared to be a quick victory in the staff's review of his first-team worthiness.

But Blake admitted it meant nothing with a practice remaining today. Even defensive coordinator Keith Butler inferred that there's more reviewing necessary.

"We’re still letting it kind of figure itself out, (Friday) too," said Butler. "We felt like we needed to get some guys some reps and we’ll see what happens when we get to game time. I’m not going to tell you who we are going to start, because I don’t want to tell them who we're starting."

The question comes down to whether the Steelers will keep William Gay outside opposite either Blake or Ross Cockrell when the other team uses three wide receivers, because Gay normally is moved inside on the slot receiver when Cockrell enters the field opposite Blake.

Another slot corner, Brandon Boykin, received first-group reps on Wednesday, but it doesn't appear as if he's in the running for an outside spot. That clue was provided by Butler when asked if opposing teams would target Boykin in the run game.

"They may or they may not," Butler said. "But we’re not going to put him in there when we think they’re running."

Was Blake's physical stature the reason they chose him to play cornerback at the start of the season, even though he too was untested and raw?

"What Blake had shown us in training camp was really a mental toughness type of thing," Butler explained. "He’s in a position right now where he’s never played as many plays as he has this year, and he’s playing a lot on special teams, so that will wear you out. ... Every time they try to go deep you’re running with them. It’s like you’re running 70-yard sprints all the time and then going to special teams and running another 70-yard sprint to cover the kick. So, we have to be smart about that and where we’re playing him and giving him rest. We’ll try to manage that a little bit better than we have."

The guess here -- with the understanding that anything can happen at today's practice -- is that Boykin will receive some of the slot reps in the nickel on game night in order to give Blake some rest for his special-teams work.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1619367-steelers-notebook-blake-takes-all-reps

86WARD
12-05-2015, 07:01 AM
Lol. Great.

ALLD
12-05-2015, 07:11 AM
They are trying to coddle Blake and not embarrass him. Don't the coaches realize that his play has already resulted in embarrassment? It's like leaving in a starting pitcher that gives up back-to-back HRs in the 6th inning.

He should have been pulled a few weeks ago.

salamander
12-05-2015, 07:41 AM
Tomlin is officially a f*cking dumbass if he starts Blake this week. And no, you are not going to convince me otherwise. This shit with Tomlin being attached to certain players is sickening sometimes.

SteelerFanInStl
12-05-2015, 12:15 PM
In other words, expect more of the same.

MrPgh
12-05-2015, 03:04 PM
The standard is the standard. No need to paint Blake's struggles with a broad brush. He's one of the capable men on this team. It's all low-hanging fruit.

hawaiiansteeler
12-05-2015, 03:33 PM
The standard is the standard. No need to paint Blake's struggles with a broad brush. He's one of the capable men on this team. It's all low-hanging fruit.

anyone in a helmet is a playmaker for us, I thought his arrow was pointing up.

you know we as coaches know that we are going to be judged by those calculated decisions that you make. but I think if you die, you die with your boots on...

tube517
12-05-2015, 03:38 PM
"His commitment to this thing is unique. When people have unique commitments, they get unique considerations. That's the reality of life."

MrPgh
12-05-2015, 04:06 PM
anyone in a helmet is a playmaker for us, I thought his arrow was pointing up.

you know we as coaches know that we are going to be judged by those calculated decisions that you make. but I think if you die, you die with your boots on...

Obviously. Such is life in the National Football League. We accept that.

hawaiiansteeler
12-05-2015, 04:06 PM
"His commitment to this thing is unique. When people have unique commitments, they get unique considerations. That's the reality of life."

the people that know and compete in this league understand that there is a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes. obviously, last weekend we were grape-squashers, if you will.

we didn't perform well, we got beat convincingly by a good football team. we will chew on that, however tough the meat is...

MrPgh
12-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Splash plays.

tube517
12-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Excuses are tools of the incompetent