PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Open to Making Changes at Cornerback

tube517
12-01-2015, 11:50 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/tomlin-open-to-making-changes-at-cornerback/

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58077446.jpg :chuckle:

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 11:53 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ed0a3dwZAkc/hqdefault.jpg

tube517
12-01-2015, 11:54 AM

:rofl2:

BigBen2004
12-01-2015, 12:19 PM
The fact that he specifically mentioned Boykin gives me hope. He also said they'd explore moving Gay outside, which would open up the slot for Boykin.

TD's & Beer
12-01-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm open to making changes at coaching..... call up Les Miles!

SteelerFanInStl
12-01-2015, 12:26 PM
It only took him 11 weeks of terrible CB play to consider making a change. You just can't get much more stubborn than that.

steelreserve
12-01-2015, 12:49 PM
The whole Boykin/Blake thing has been handled so poorly.

It's the equivalent of feeling lonely, so you go to Vegas and hire a mid-priced hooker ... then at the last minute, you change your mind and tell her to sit there and watch while you shove a 40 bottle up your ass instead. Then you do the same thing every weekend for three months. Time to move on.

Rotorhead
12-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Please let Boykin play, please! And then lets all hope he is better than Blake!

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 12:51 PM

It's the equivalent of feeling lonely, so you go to Vegas and hire a mid-priced hooker ... then at the last minute, you change your mind and tell her to sit there and watch while you shove a 40 bottle up your ass instead. Then you do the same thing every weekend for three months. Time to move on.

You're just not right. :lol:

LLT
12-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Please let Boykin play, please! And then lets all hope he is better than Blake!

Agreed. Any argument AGAINST Boykin playing lacks merit. We KNOW what we have (or don't have) in Blake but Boykin is still an unknown commodity UNTIL we see him on game day. Boykin may lay an egg...but at this point he is worth a look

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2015, 01:11 PM

It's the equivalent of feeling lonely, so you go to Vegas and hire a mid-priced hooker ... then at the last minute, you change your mind and tell her to sit there and watch while you shove a 40 bottle up your ass instead.

is that what it's the equivalent of? :sofunny:

TeeTee
12-01-2015, 03:53 PM
It only took him 11 weeks of terrible CB play to consider making a change. You just can't get much more stubborn than that.

Do you ever see Belichick taking 11 weeks to finally make some adjustments? Shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, Jefro, he'd make changes in one week. That is the difference between FOUR rings and one. You can be mad at me all you want for acknowledging the difference between the world's best coach and one who is inferior, but that would just be being mad at the truth.

Count Steeler
12-01-2015, 03:55 PM

Straw man argument.

TeeTee
12-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Agreed. Any argument AGAINST Boykin playing lacks merit. We KNOW what we have (or don't have) in Blake but Boykin is still an unknown commodity UNTIL we see him on game day. Boykin may lay an egg...but at this point he is worth a look

Let's face it: Boink didn't kiss Tomlin's ring, and Tomlin got all huffy about it. Just coach to win and knock off the petty BS. Ever hear the story about Belichick and his 1st Super Bowl with the Pats. A veteran (Ty Law) was complaining that a rookie had a nicer hotel room than he did, and BB tossed him his hotel key and said, "What the fuck do I need a room with a kitchen in it for?" See the difference? Tomlin feels the need to feed his ego instead of just making the best choices for the team. I am damn sick of it.

Count Steeler
12-01-2015, 03:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUZEtVbJT5c

steelreserve
12-01-2015, 04:02 PM
You're just not right. :lol:

Hey man, Alex K. got nothing on me. You want to talk about coverage schemes and blocking assignments, then fine - but if you want the real no-nonsense breakdown, you know where it's at.

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Do you ever see Belichick taking 11 weeks to finally make some adjustments? Shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, Jefro, he'd make changes in one week. That is the difference between FOUR rings and one.

well, that and the cheating...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/InnocentDevil_2007/cheaties.jpg

Mojouw
12-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Let's face it: Boink didn't kiss Tomlin's ring, and Tomlin got all huffy about it. Just coach to win and knock off the petty BS. Ever hear the story about Belichick and his 1st Super Bowl with the Pats. A veteran (Ty Law) was complaining that a rookie had a nicer hotel room than he did, and BB tossed him his hotel key and said, "What the fuck do I need a room with a kitchen in it for?" See the difference? Tomlin feels the need to feed his ego instead of just making the best choices for the team. I am damn sick of it.

Does Belichick know that you fondle yourself to pictures of him while quoting obscure and non-relevant anecdotes? I bet ripped up hoodies and khaki pants are a big turn on for you.

Seriously, the armchair psycho-babble stuff is just irritating. We do NOT know why the Steelers chose not to play Boykin through 11 games. There are now 5 games remaining on the schedule for the team, the fans, and the football watching world to evaluate whether or not that decision was correct or not. If Boykin is inserted into either the starting line-up or the nickel sub package and the overall play of the pass defense improves - then the Steelers were woefully and potentially catastrophically incorrect in their personnel evaluations for 11 weeks. If the insertion of Boykin the Bottle does nothing to improve the overall pass defense - then the swap of Boykin for Blake or Blake for Boykin or either for a traffic cone is/was immaterial and the obvious talent and communication deficiencies throughout the secondary are more to blame than the snap count of any individual player.

See? It is as easy as that. Observations lead to data points, data points lead to analysis, analysis leads to logical conclusions. I guess we will have to find a way to factor in that Bellicheck used to wipe Wilfork's ass for him while breaking down film. Seems relevant.

ALLD
12-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Yes, that is difference between Tomlin and all the other Steeler coaches going back to 1969. He is more concerned about his place in history (which he fell into) rather than making it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that is difference between Tomlin and all the other Steeler coaches going back to 1969. He is more concerned about his place in history (which he fell into) rather than making it.

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 05:03 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/43/37/b0/4337b02ac5fb68ed258e724daed2b8a9.jpg

Shoes
12-01-2015, 07:41 PM
“He had some difficulties in the game from a tackling perspective,” said Tomlin of Blake’s Sunday performance against the Seattle Seahawks. “I think you can say the same about Ross Cockrell.

What you can say is Blake has 28 missed tackles so far this year, Cockerel has 8. I don't think thats the same, tho I think Cockerel has need of improvement.

I think Tomlin is more interested in running a halfway house for retreads and under performers than adjusting to the teams need at hand.

86WARD
12-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Nice to hear...maybe he's finally come around to realize the pay are not "ok".

86WARD
12-01-2015, 09:31 PM
I'm open to making changes at coaching..... call up Les Miles!

I'd rather keep Tomlin.

TD's & Beer
12-02-2015, 06:50 AM
I'd rather keep Tomlin.

The Rooneys are just as stubborn as Tomlin, of course he'll never leave

NCSteeler
12-02-2015, 10:45 AM
I personally think it's alltalk, because in the same breath he said he want to give Blake a chance to recover from a bad game. "A BAD FReaking game, DUDE HAS HAD A TERRIBLE YEAR. Blind ass coach

hawaiiansteeler
12-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Butler On Steelers Secondary: ‘I Think We Got To Look At Changing It Up A Little Bit’

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/keith-butler-steelers-secondary-changes-colts-week-13/

Shoes
12-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Give Cockrell and Blake rest?? You mean give the d line rest.

They make boykin sound like he's a moron, when he had far more experience and results than Cockrell at the start of the season.

“He’s done some things well in the game,” said Butler. “We got to make sure we ease him in and he’s comfortable doing what he’s doing and knows what he’s doing and all of that stuff, so we can function as a good defense, function as a team, play team defense so everybody knows where he’s going to be and he knows where everybody else is going to be. So we got to see how that happens during the week in trying to formulate a plan by Sunday

86WARD
12-03-2015, 02:27 PM
So they are finally figuring that out? Lol...pathetic.

Craic
12-03-2015, 03:22 PM
when he had far more experience and results than Cockrell at the start of the season.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean he meshed with the defense as a whole. There may have been communication issues, or he may not have understood a role as defined by the style of defense played here, or etc. etc.

Experience is nice, but it means nothing if it doesn't help the team play like a team. Imagine how much worse that Patriots' game would have been, and how much longer that kind of stuff would have happened.

Shoes
12-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Maybe, but that doesn't mean he meshed with the defense as a whole. There may have been communication issues, or he may not have understood a role as defined by the style of defense played here, or etc. etc.

Experience is nice, but it means nothing if it doesn't help the team play like a team. Imagine how much worse that Patriots' game would have been, and how much longer that kind of stuff would have happened.

Boykin has played well with the little chance he's had here. Yet Cockrell played 39 snaps to Boykins 11 in the 49er game. There is something rotten in Pittsburgh imo

Here is the Cockrell / Boykin history at the 49er game. Sorry about the fonts, this iPhone stuff isn't easy

Career Starts: Cockrell 0, Boykin 6
Career Games Played: Cockrell 7, Boykin 50
Career Passes Defended: Cockrell 0, Boykin 32
Career Interceptions: Cockrell 0, Boykin 6

ALLD
12-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Tomlin is giving out Halloween candy next week too.

Shoes
12-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Just a few clips of Boykin in 2014, he looked just as good in the 49er game this year but only played 11 snaps.. I don't know how this team kept Blake on the field for over half the season while this guy sat on the bench and cost the team a 3rd round. !8 missed tackles against the Seahawks and half of them coming from Cockrell and Blake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLfUrqvhR0

86WARD
12-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Boykin knows how to tackle...lol.

hawaiiansteeler
12-03-2015, 10:13 PM
I don't know how this team kept Blake on the field for over half the season while this guy sat on the bench and cost the team a 3rd round.

actually, acquiring Boykin will end up costing us a 5th round pick...

Shoes
12-03-2015, 10:22 PM
actually, acquiring Boykin will end up costing us a 5th round pick...

Thanks, and sorry for the brain fart....getting old isn't for sissies. :chuckle:

B&GFever
12-04-2015, 09:27 AM
read on another site that Boykin likely wont start or garner any more playing time

Steeldude
12-04-2015, 10:12 AM
read on another site that Boykin likely wont start or garner any more playing time

I doubt he plays at all. Also, don't be surprised if they give a big contract to Blake this off-season.

Rotorhead
12-04-2015, 10:33 AM
I just read they are probably not going to play Boykin because Gay is the slot corner and he is playing well in the slot and Boykin is also a slot corner. I will give Cockrell a pass this last game as he has been mostly solid this season, but something has to be done with Blake. I don't care if Boykin plays outside or Gay plays outside or fatass joe off the street plays outside, something has to change.

hawaiiansteeler
12-04-2015, 11:37 AM

that's just Tomlin playing silly poker games...

SteelerFanInStl
12-04-2015, 12:33 PM
I just read they are probably not going to play Boykin because Gay is the slot corner and he is playing well in the slot and Boykin is also a slot corner. I will give Cockrell a pass this last game as he has been mostly solid this season, but something has to be done with Blake. I don't care if Boykin plays outside or Gay plays outside or fatass joe off the street plays outside, something has to change.
That's from many weeks ago. Tomlin said this week that he's looking at playing Gay outside and Boykin in the slot. I'm not holding my breath though. I'll believe it when i see it.

tube517
12-04-2015, 12:56 PM
That's from many weeks ago. Tomlin said this week that he's looking at playing Gay outside and Boykin in the slot. I'm not holding my breath though. I'll believe it when i see it.
Agreed. I'll believe a royal flush when I see it [emoji2]

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
12-04-2015, 02:38 PM
(Blake) had some difficulties in the game from a tackling perspective. I think you can say the same about Ross Cockrell,” Tomlin said. “We're going to give both guys an opportunity to rebound, but we're also going to look at other options this week.”

Tomlin said. “The performances of the guys outside (Blake, Cockrell) needs to be better, based on the last performance. But not that it's been consistently below the line looking at the larger body of work. So it really hadn't been a big discussion about getting (Boykin) reps to this point.

Seriously NOT CONSISTENTLY BELOW THE LINE, Tomlin is stupid, dumb, blind, IDK

I do not expect any changes this week, until maybe just maybe , we give up 35 points and he has to do something

Moose
12-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Dumb ass ! This is what I've been saying for YEARS!!! We need CORNERBACKS ! Hey Dumb ass Tomlin....how about secondary positions and fullback, oh and maybe start working on a QUARTERBACK ?

Rotorhead
12-04-2015, 05:06 PM

Actually it is from an article today and also Butler's interview basically said they were looking at some things, but refused to give out any possible change information as they would be looking tomorrow also . . . I guess we will know come gametime . . . All this poker playing is getting crazy!

B&GFever
12-04-2015, 10:55 PM
I doubt he plays at all. Also, don't be surprised if they give a big contract to Blake this off-season.

if they Give Blake a big contract I will pack away my gear and save it for when we get people in house that know what the hell they are doing .

NCSteeler
12-06-2015, 12:24 PM
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SteelersDepotBlog/~3/ufOaJtkvMoY/

Mike Tomlin hasn’t exactly made things any clearer.

Talking to Bob Labriola of Steelers.com, Tomlin said he won’t make any major changes at cornerback.

“What I was saying was that I wasn’t going to make wholesale changes based on what happened in Seattle. Yes, I was going to give additional opportunities to Brandon Boykin because I think the inconsistencies in play warrant that. But I also am committed to giving those guys – Cockrell and Blake – an opportunity to redeem themselves in the stadium today.”

It’s unclear exactly what the rotation will be, only that all three will play. Whenever Boykin does see action, it figures to come in the nickel with Boykin playing in the slot. It’s anyone’s guess but not impossible to think Antwon Blake will play in base defense only with Ross Cockrell and Boykin coming in on nickel packages.

You could also see some changes on special teams. Keith Butler and now Tomlin have both cited a fatigue issue for Blake, stemming from his extensive work on special teams.

“And inconsistent fundamentals show up for really a small number of reasons. There’s fatigue: somebody’s playing too many snaps…so when I see inconsistent tackling, that’s a significant component of the discussions that then follow.”

Blake has been acting as a gunner and jammer while starting games as R3 on kickoffs, though usually taken out later in the game by Jordan Todman. I’d expect Blake to be taken off of gunner and kickoff duties in an attempt to rest him.

Tomlin noted Blake’s tackling was poor last week against the Seattle Seahawks, but as we’ve written, Blake’s misses have been a common theme throughout the season. Our Jon Ledyard has charged Blake for a team-leading 28 missed tackles on the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCSteeler
12-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Yeah, rest Blake in special teams will make him a defensive hero

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mojouw
12-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Interesting read on why the Steelers are so out of options at DB.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/12/04/2015-pittsburgh-steelers-defensive-backs-secondary-depth-chart-evaluation-grades/

hawaiiansteeler
12-06-2015, 02:55 PM
Interesting read on why the Steelers are so out of options at DB.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/12/04/2015-pittsburgh-steelers-defensive-backs-secondary-depth-chart-evaluation-grades/

thanks, that was a great read. long but well worth it! :drink:

cold-hard-steel
12-06-2015, 03:38 PM
All i know is that i don't know.I do know that. LOL

Craic
12-06-2015, 03:45 PM
All i know is that i don't know.I do know that. LOL

That's probably the most coherent and intelligent thing I've heard you say in years! :wink02:

Steel Peon
12-06-2015, 03:54 PM
Most of the opponents making catches are just floating in space between Gay, Golden, Mitchell, Allen, and Cockrell, so no one knows who's supposed to be covering those guys, and no one gets named. From what I'm seeing, there are blown coverages all around our secondary, and no one is acknowledging it. I really hope Boykin makes a difference, but I doubt you'll see much of one if everyone else continues to leave dudes wide open.

Mojouw
12-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Most of the opponents making catches are just floating in space between Gay, Golden, Mitchell, Allen, and Cockrell, so no one knows who's supposed to be covering those guys, and no one gets named. From what I'm seeing, there are blown coverages all around our secondary, and no one is acknowledging it. I really hope Boykin makes a difference, but I doubt you'll see much of one if everyone else continues to leave dudes wide open.

Great Point. There needs to a captain of the ship back there or something. Blake gets blamed for some things where he is put in a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't situation by multiple "free" receivers in his zone. Now whose fault is that? Butler? Lake? Other DBs and Lbs for not adjusting? I have no idea, but suspect that is the largest source of the problem.

The Steelers coverages seem to break down more as an overall scheme than as a result of one player simply getting roasted. Unfortunately, that happens too.

pepsyman1
12-06-2015, 06:46 PM

OMG, is that an intellivision screen shot? Lol

Psycho Ward 86
12-06-2015, 11:28 PM
im waiting for the dumb ass that points out boykin's missed tackle late in the game tonight

Craic
12-06-2015, 11:36 PM

Do you know how many hours I wasted with my best friend playing that stupid game?

fansince'76
12-06-2015, 11:41 PM
Do you know how many hours I wasted with my best friend playing that stupid game?

Same here! :lol:

Steel Peon
12-07-2015, 12:19 AM
im waiting for the dumb ass that points out boykin's missed tackle late in the game tonight

Not that tonight's performance in any way, shape, or form proved anything (aside from Jacoby being a counter-agent), but I'm sorry I don't single out players unless they consistently become a weaker link than everyone else.

StillCurtains
12-07-2015, 01:04 AM

I thought the same damned thing! It's nothing different than what the rest of the defense has done all season! BTW... Although Gay got an assist on Boykin's pick, it's nice to get the hell off the field on 3rd and 7 on the only time he was targeted by batting away the pass, instead of tackling the catch for a 9 yard gain and a first down!

Psycho Ward 86
12-07-2015, 01:38 AM
Not that tonight's performance in any way, shape, or form proved anything (aside from Jacoby being a counter-agent), but I'm sorry I don't single out players unless they consistently become a weaker link than everyone else.

Boykin proved on film and on paper he should have been on the field more at the expense of Blake. Hell, he proved that before he ever put on a Steelers uniform. Boykin inside, Gay outside or Gay inside, Boykin outside it doesnt matter. Anything sans Blake makes this team better at multiple spots.

We instantly upgraded 2 CB positions by sliding Gay outside and letting Boykin play slot. (although I for one think Boykin should be given a shot at manning the outside spot as well)

86WARD
12-07-2015, 07:11 AM
Now that Boykin is in the CB lineup, in calling for him to return kicks!!!

Boykin played well. I hate that it's taken so long and possibly too late...

Rotorhead
12-07-2015, 10:24 AM
I think Boykin did play some outside, all I know is the secondary played much better tonight. Yeah Indy is not exactly the powerhouse Off they once were, but Boykin made several plays, our blitz package could include Allen more (and effectively) as they weren't covering for Blake all game IMHO. This defense is good enough to win some playoff games, lets just hope we can get in!

tube517
12-07-2015, 10:28 AM
Boykin had more snaps than Blake.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-colts-player-snap-counts-week-13/

steelreserve
12-07-2015, 11:36 AM
Boykin was solid. With the exception of one fuck-up, Gay played just fine on the outside. Blake still looked mostly like shit when he was in, though thankfully that was limited. Overall they played much better and Blake still needs to GTFO.

tube517
12-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Now that Boykin is in the CB lineup, in calling for him to return kicks!!!

Boykin played well. I hate that it's taken so long and possibly too late...

:nono: Don't overwork BB as they do with DeAngelo.... :chuckle:

Rotorhead
12-07-2015, 11:38 AM
Well, Boykin made his statement, he played solid and had an INT. What else can you ask for?

Craic
12-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Same here! :lol:

Yeah, we had some VERY un-PC names for the dealer as well.

86WARD
12-07-2015, 11:46 AM
If Boykin were to become Super Bowl MVP this season, it would be delicious!!!

ALLD
12-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Trick play on fake FG Landry Jones to Boykin!

Count Steeler
12-07-2015, 12:15 PM
Encouraging defensive effort, but it was the Colts. Sorry, not going to get too excited.